Bump of the month?

Started by Taren Masterson, September 08, 2010, 06:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taren Masterson

I more or less got the answer I anticipated. Thanks everyone for humoring me. Don't worry, I won't be bumping anything. =)

I get why there's no bumping, and believe me I approve and support no bumping here.

I probably already know the answer, but I was wondering though about older posts.
Say you haven't been around for a month? Or three? Or six? There's entirely new crowds of people and your post has fallen off into a forum black whole. If you knew that you weren't going to bump the thread again for another three months would it be alright to bring it back into cycle?

Don't get me wrong, I can make the updates and changes to make it legitimate. Happy to. But if I could possibly utilize this much more convenient method once every dog's age I thought it was worth the simple task of asking.
Knowing is half the battle. XD

Vekseid

The logic behind it in that case is, on a creative site, it's a bit hard for us to believe that you've had absolutely no new thoughts in the interim.

The new CMS is going to be a bit more straightforward about matching people and game ideas, but that won't be for some time I'm afraid.

Cecilia

We tend to be a bit more lenient on very infrequent bumps, but Veks makes a good point.  IF the idea didn't draw interest three months before, it's not likely to with the same post.  I remember posting a game idea that got no hits.  I re-wrote it months later with a slight modification and got ten requests in twelve hours.   It doesn't really seem like much work to repost an idea as completely fresh. 

Haibane

In addition to that, bumping a game idea that old will cause some people to see a 3 or 4 month old post, plus a bump which doesn't give a very good impression along the lines of "If there aren't any fresh ideas in 3 months how enjoyable will writing with this person be?" By doing a new post you may get a new angle yourself on the idea and present it in a new way or something entirely fresh may pop up as your thinking juice gets flowing.

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: Cecilia on September 08, 2010, 06:35:16 PM
We tend to be a bit more lenient on very infrequent bumps, but Veks makes a good point.  IF the idea didn't draw interest three months before, it's not likely to with the same post.  I remember posting a game idea that got no hits.  I re-wrote it months later with a slight modification and got ten requests in twelve hours.   It doesn't really seem like much work to repost an idea as completely fresh.

Actually, the popularity factor also applies to this case.

For example: You are more known around here than you were 4 months ago. Therefore, the extra people you know may like the idea, and also think "Lucky me, no one got this so far".

Not that this justifies bumping, but still, one reason why some people have this habit.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Taren Masterson

The logic behind it in that case is, on a creative site, it's a bit hard for us to believe that you've had absolutely no new thoughts in the interim.

The new CMS is going to be a bit more straightforward about matching people and game ideas, but that won't be for some time I'm afraid.
I was just wondering about the option itself. I already knew the reasons why not.

The idea did draw interest. But so many stories have so many things happen to them, even the etsablished long term. That's why I'm asking about six months, not a handful of days, and about the option, not as a necessity.

In addition to that, bumping a game idea that old will cause some people to see a 3 or 4 month old post, plus a bump which doesn't give a very good impression along the lines of "If there aren't any fresh ideas in 3 months how enjoyable will writing with this person be?" By doing a new post you may get a new angle yourself on the idea and present it in a new way or something entirely fresh may pop up as your thinking juice gets flowing.
The people that weren't interested in the first place naturally are not going to be interested the second time around. This is more about getting new eyes on it, and really more me musing about the option. New info and even a completely restructured idea are great, I completely agree with you.