[PF] Ironfang Invasion: Hunted Heroines

Started by 1651Leviathan, August 25, 2017, 12:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnneReinard

Aylinas and I are still babbling back and forth between each other about options. Our last consideration was potentially aiming to be two sisters who were raised in the worship of a dualistic deity such as Nethys or Gozreh, each devoting themselves more fully toward one aspect or the other. In the former case, it would make sense for them to have an arcane/divine split, whereas the latter case would have more openings for our whimsy. We're still considering details, but it might well make sense for them to have ties to some sort of shop that has to do with magic items in Phaendar - is there anything like that already in existence?
Ons and Offs

Always free for a little teasing back and forth. Or suggestions to titles to make this exhibitionist squirm! I adore silly little PMs.

Hobbes1266

My character is almost 100% skill monkey, with knowledge and social skills rather than theft and stealth though, but I'm sure her knowledge dungeneering and history could help in one way or another that a rogue normally would  ("hey! This looks exactly like the trap great general Cootila set for the invasion of 1028! We should probably run the other way five minutes ago.")

Blinkin

"Traps, craps... if we shoulda stopped 5 minutes ago, why bother now? Besides, everyone knows that if you find a trap, goodies are ahead!" Myranda smiled mischievously, "Who's general whozit?"
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

1651Leviathan

Hexed: I can see any of those ideas working. So it really depends on whether you want to fit more of a divine role or an arcane one.

I should mention, though: I don't demand that first level characters have done nothing of importance before. If someone wants to play a more grizzled or experienced character, that's cool with me (so long as you don't mind statistically being level 1).

AnneReinard: I'm not sure about the idea of two sisters raised to worship the same deity. I see why it sounds cool, but... For one thing, it means two characters will be behaving quite similarly, which could get a bit boring. Also, I'm not a fan of a whole bunch of super religious characters in my groups. Usually that turns into constant theological debates. :P

If you're looking at sisters, there are tons of angles to go from, though. Opposites (like Carver and Bethany in Dragon Age 2), or older and younger sister... Adventurous and shy, etc...

Hobbes1266

"If we turn back now we'll just be swamped by sticky goop, if we keep going we'll be stuck and monsters will see and follow us!" June protested distraught before frowning with an annoyed sigh. "Not 'Whozit'... Cootila! You know, defeater of Impal the enchantress and her armies, stealer of virginities, conqueror of dat ass!"

AnneReinard

Quote from: 1651Leviathan on August 26, 2017, 12:07:22 PM
AnneReinard: I'm not sure about the idea of two sisters raised to worship the same deity. I see why it sounds cool, but... For one thing, it means two characters will be behaving quite similarly, which could get a bit boring. Also, I'm not a fan of a whole bunch of super religious characters in my groups. Usually that turns into constant theological debates. :P

If you're looking at sisters, there are tons of angles to go from, though. Opposites (like Carver and Bethany in Dragon Age 2), or older and younger sister... Adventurous and shy, etc...

Oh, we would certainly be following different behaviors. I don't think that just choosing the same deity is the only thing that makes sense. The fun thing about a deity like Nethys or Gozreh is that you get a sense of duality there. Nethys, admittedly, shows this duality more in the form of the split between arcane and divine, which means the sisters would need some other sort of aspect to set them apart from each other. But I like the sense that it could give them a bit of a sense of "two parts of a whole", despite their differences - perhaps even highlighting those differences. One of the sisters could be more prone to making careful plans, whereas the other is more impulsive, and when working together they tend to shore up those inherent weaknesses (or amplify them if things go terribly wrong, I suppose).

Gozreh, I think has even more possibilities, because they are actually a deity with two very different facets. The favor of gentle winds and the fury of the storm, the goddess of the sea and the god of the skies... there's a lot of interesting things to be done there, I think! (And again, the same thing with having other aspects to set them apart is important.)

...as for the matter of the reservation... I've been aiming to play a game with Aylinas for a while now. So it is a risk I am going to have to take regardless. C'est la vie! It just means I will have to clap my hands together and really buckle down to put up something amazing.
Ons and Offs

Always free for a little teasing back and forth. Or suggestions to titles to make this exhibitionist squirm! I adore silly little PMs.

Hobbes1266

Quote from: AnneReinard on August 26, 2017, 12:38:56 PM
Oh, we would certainly be following different behaviors. I don't think that just choosing the same deity is the only thing that makes sense. The fun thing about a deity like Nethys or Gozreh is that you get a sense of duality there. Nethys, admittedly, shows this duality more in the form of the split between arcane and divine, which means the sisters would need some other sort of aspect to set them apart from each other. But I like the sense that it could give them a bit of a sense of "two parts of a whole", despite their differences - perhaps even highlighting those differences. One of the sisters could be more prone to making careful plans, whereas the other is more impulsive, and when working together they tend to shore up those inherent weaknesses (or amplify them if things go terribly wrong, I suppose).

Gozreh, I think has even more possibilities, because they are actually a deity with two very different facets. The favor of gentle winds and the fury of the storm, the goddess of the sea and the god of the skies... there's a lot of interesting things to be done there, I think! (And again, the same thing with having other aspects to set them apart is important.)

...as for the matter of the reservation... I've been aiming to play a game with Aylinas for a while now. So it is a risk I am going to have to take regardless. C'est la vie! It just means I will have to clap my hands together and really buckle down to put up something amazing.
Just throwing out one little idea to help y'all think of options, a paladin rogue duo could have some interesting contrasts

Hexed

I chose both! :D

Spirit Guide Oracle in the works.

One question though @1651Leviathan

FAQ
Can I use my Charisma modifier for cleric spells and effects that use Wisdom, such as spiritual weapon?

As written, those effects say “Wisdom” (because they were written before the idea of the oracle class as a Charisma-based caster), so an oracle has to use her Wisdom modifier.
However, it is a perfectly reasonable house rule to allow an oracle to use her Charisma modifier (or bonus) for cleric spells that refer to the caster’s Wisdom modifier (or bonus).

Where do you fall on this bit of info?  Do the cleric spells cast by Oracles still use wis or do they swap to the casting stat of the class?

Trying to figure out how 'wise' she'll need to be. :)

Ixy

Wow this thread is going. Off.
Just a couple questions.
Made a basic rogue with feint focus.  Not impressive out-of-the-box and can be dropped without flanking support. The skills (trapfinding, stealth, larceny) were to be the major draw, but it looks like contingencies are already being made.  Thoughts?

I get the feeling I get from a lot of other games where people are clamouring to claim the role they want.  Is this first-come, first-chosen?  Are you already set on what roles are still available so the rest of us can save some time?

Will starting wealth be average for the class?

1651Leviathan

Those are all good questions, Ixy. Let me address them one at a time.

1. The players are not being determined on a first come basis. I'm going to be setting a deadline for submissions once I have a few more. When the deadline rolls around, I'll be picking a final party. So no roles are claimed, though there may be different levels of interest in them.

2. In regards to contingencies being made around what characters have what skills, that's really my call. I haven't taken a detailed look at the sheets yet, so I can't say which characters can and can't fill given roles. But the fact that a player says it doesn't mean I'll take it the same way. That said, there are two wildcard slots for the party, so every character submitted will be eligible for at least those spots.

3. Starting wealth will be max for your class. I'm going to add that to the first post, since I forgot about it.

Hexed: You can use your charisma modifier for spells that say wisdom, provided that they're spells that predate Oracle's existence as a class.

AnneReinard: You're of course free to submit whatever character you'd like. But we do have several divine characters in the works already, and making two more may be tricky from a competition perspective.

Hobbes1266

Quote from: Ixy on August 26, 2017, 01:09:48 PM
Wow this thread is going. Off.
Just a couple questions.
Made a basic rogue with feint focus.  Not impressive out-of-the-box and can be dropped without flanking support. The skills (trapfinding, stealth, larceny) were to be the major draw, but it looks like contingencies are already being made.  Thoughts?

I get the feeling I get from a lot of other games where people are clamouring to claim the role they want.  Is this first-come, first-chosen?  Are you already set on what roles are still available so the rest of us can save some time?

Will starting wealth be average for the class?
The contingencies aren't as good as a dedicated rogue with actual skill in finding traps, picking locks, disabling traps, other rogue stuff... but that's just my thoughts on the matter.

I don't believe it's first come first serve, and even if slots become filled there are miscellaneous slots to be filled by anything.

AnneReinard

Quote from: 1651Leviathan on August 26, 2017, 01:24:46 PMAnneReinard: You're of course free to submit whatever character you'd like. But we do have several divine characters in the works already, and making two more may be tricky from a competition perspective.

I'll keep that in mind! I was thinking a divine and an arcane... but I'll give a glance over the applications to see if there is some interesting design space holes to fill up. Honestly, having that will help narrow things down for me... I tend to suffer a little from decision paralysis when the whole wide world of Pathfinder stuff is available!
Ons and Offs

Hexed

Quote from: 1651Leviathan on August 26, 2017, 01:24:46 PM
Hexed: You can use your charisma modifier for spells that say wisdom, provided that they're spells that predate Oracle's existence as a class.

Kayokay!

Not sure what spells that is or if it would even come up but that sidebar is on the oracle page.

We do have a fair chunk of divine casters building up. Just means we're more Holy then holed. hopefully :D

Snake

Here's the one I cooked up. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Name: Akina Nailo
Race: Half-elf
Class: Nirmanthi Irregular Ranger 1
Ability Scores: Str: 16 | Dex: 14 | Con: 14 | Int: 12 | Wis: 13 | Cha: 8
Traits: Armor Expert (+1 ACP), Ironfang Survivor (+2 AC vs goblinoids, 1/day gain Advantage on Intimidate, Sense Motive, or Stealth against Goblinoids)

Backstory: Akina is the direct offspring of a Vudrani priestess of Erastil and an Elven Chernasardo Ranger; living amongst a group of nomadic rangers and druids in the southwestern area of Fangwood. Her life was largely normal for a half-elven child despite growing and maturing slower than her human counterparts around her, she learned that her age didn't prevent her from being a child. She used to run through the forest around wherever her group camped for the evenings, learning all she could about her surroundings. Akina quickly picked up on the survivalist and bushcraft skills her father took time how to teach her while her mother served as the group's non-druidic source of healing and succor. Akina was a happy child for many years but she also saw her fair share of hardship.

Sometimes the group would run into periodic bandits, imperials soldiers from Mothrune, Corrupted Fey and various other dangers. Every so often these skirmishes would claim the lives of some of their group, but these numbers were oftern replaced in a couple weeks when two small groups would join into one larger group for support and protection. The biggest threat was often the large groups of goblins or hobgoblins that periodically attacked groups to raid for the most part. Most of the time they were easily driven back and scattered either out of the forest or further in where they'd simply vanish.

Life turned around for Akina when she and her mother were returning from the city of Phaendar; her mother having been called there to attend a few religious duties.  The small group of merchants and rent-a-guards were ambushed by a rogue band of hobgoblins that'd taken up raiding and quickly decimated; the wagon Akina was riding in overturned with her hiding inside of an empty barrel. When she'd quietly pushed the top off, she peeked out from under the barrel to see a horrid sight; the bodies of the people they'd been traveling with hacked to pieces.  Hearing the monsters coming back, the young girl quickly ducked back into the barrel until she heard a loud scream and peered out again just in time to see the monsters throw down then rape her mother without realizin she was there. For hours Akina huddled under the overturned wagon, luckily far too heavy for them to right and find her; she listened to her mother's screams of protest.

When they finally stopped there was one last scream of anguish then a gurgling sigh; the poor girl was trapped where she was. Afraid to come out, but afraid to stay lest she get found and raped as well. The next morning, when she was sure that all was quiet, she crawled out and almost immediately vomited at the sight and smell. Blood everywhere, the women left with throats slit and obvious signs of struggle. Worse- her mother slumped against the wagon as if trying to hold it down with her body weight and bled dry.

Akina, severely traumatized by the nightmarish experience simply pulled her mothers body off and hugged on it, sobbing uncontrollably, screaming for her to come back and not abandon her. Inside, Akina knew there was no possibility of that; even though her mother was a cleric, her god would not resurrect her on the simple cries of an abandoned young girl. AFter she burned out her sorrow; Akina shoved it to the back of her mind- remembering what her father taught her whenever someone else went down- she collected the small, broken holy symbol of Erastil from her mother's neck and fled. She ran as quickly as her fifteen-year-old legs would carry her toward the forest; believing that she'd run into one of the rangers in short order.

She'd almost get to the treeline when the marauding band of monsters showed up again to give chase; having spotted her leaving the site. Panicked and terrifed; she sprinted as hard a she could toward the trees. At that moment, a splendid white elk would burst from the trees and stomp one of the monsters before vanishing. As if the sign of the elk was a sign, a shower of arrows rained down upon the monstrosities as he father ran out to retrieve her. UPon returning to camp, she'd tell everyone of what happened. That was the day her intense hatred of all hobgoblins maniested; from that day on she devoted herself with an extreme focus upon learning everything she could about them and more importantly: how to kill them and make them suffer.

This would spur her to wander all over Fangwood; well the outer areas of it seeking out her favored enemy to slay. Eventually it'd drive her to stay close to Phaedar; where she considered her mother had been born and later died effectively. She takes any threat to that city seriously.

Personality: Akina has mellowed some with age and experience; but the trauma of losing her mother in such a brutal fashion has never really left. She is normally gregarious even boisterous, care-free and fun-loving; but the mention of goblinoids of any type immediately makes her forest green eyes go absolutely flat with hostility and seething hatred. Akina enjoys company of others, she dislikes the notion of being abandoned and tries to make herself personable, likeable and someone others would want around. While she's socially awkard and a bit clumsy in social situations; she means well and hopes that comes through- espeically when she messes up.  Akina suffers from periodic nightmares and sometimes wakes up usually swinging a dagger or other small weapon while screaming for her "attackers" to "leave her alone."

Hobbes1266

Snake

But a good reason to hate the hobbos. And Justify the Ironfang survivor.

Re Z L

A&A

Snake

In 5e terms. once/day it lets me roll one of those checks twice and take teh highest roll.

1651Leviathan

Snake: The backstory is indeed dark, though that's fair enough. Since you're asking for thoughts, here they are!

I like the backstory. Sure, parents dying is a bit of a cliche for adventurers, but you pull it off well and make it fit the campaign's setting. What I'm not so sure about is the personality. Considering the entirety of your backstory is about her trauma and hatred of goblins, I'm not sure why you chose to go in the "gregarious, happy, socially awkward" thing, which to me screams cutely innocent. Yeah, she has nightmares and doesn't like goblins. But who does like goblins? It just feels like wasted potential to have a character with that backstory end up seeming... normal. I could see her being darker, more angry, taciturn, solitary, etc, for example. That's (A) interesting, since female characters tend to end up being friendly and nice, and (B) makes her personality mesh with the backstory.

That's not to say I want you to necessarily make her mean and grumpy. I would suggest you think a bit about how you can make her act interestingly based on her history.

Everyone: If you haven't started in on a character, I should mention that my PM box is very open for discussions about character concepts. Maybe I can point you in a helpful direction. :)

Re Z L

Quote from: Snake on August 26, 2017, 03:58:49 PM
In 5e terms. once/day it lets me roll one of those checks twice and take teh highest roll.

I know what it means  ;)
A&A

Hobbes1266

Would it be safe to assume that any enemies that capture and rape our characters aren't going to slit our throats after? I'm fine with rape, I'm fine with death, it just makes me more than slightly uncomfortable to have them both intertwined.

1651Leviathan

Hobbes: Yes, that's correct. They're not going to go together. Either could happen, but not both at the same time.

Blinkin

That's a bit of a relief. ;) I don't mind a character dying, or getting raped to within an inch of her life, but If she's going to get dead, I would rather it be with her fighting it to the bitter end as opposed to just killing a prisoner.... make it sporting at least.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

euanthe

Half-elf (variant racial +2 CHA, +2INT) STR14, DEX12, CON12, INT9, WIS14, CHA18
Name: Lillai Lupul
Race:  Half-Elf  Align: CN  Gender: Female  Age: 18
Class: Cleric (of Urgathoa) Level: 1st  Exp:

Lillai originates from the town of Phaendar. Tragically, her mother died from an infection acquired giving birth to her. Her father doted upon her, and, she grew up both spoiled and wild. She had several girlfriends of varying degrees of seriousness (OOC: If you’re interested in your PC being one of them, that could offer some interesting RP possibilities, though I’ve already had some interest from Timekeeper - not that I imaging Lillai having just one girlfriend).

Phaendar was really just too small for Lillai, and she swiftly moved on to the city of Tamran, and then slept her way up the Encarthan Coast on a smuggling boat, eventually reaching the far greater city of Caliphas in Ustalav. This dark, shining city became her home, and she was gradually draw in by excess, and ultimately, to the worship of Urgathoa.

Now, a fully-fledged cleric of the Pallid Princess (Urgathoa), she’s returning home to, well, notch her garterbelt with a few interesting girls she missed out on last time, to rub her ex-girlfriends faces in her power, and, possibly, to address a few old regrets with a particular old lover...

Height: 6’4” (+heels), Weight: 142 lbs,  Hair: Platinum,  Eyes: Maroon

HP: 9 AC: 16, Flatfooted: 15, Touch: 11 CMB: +0 BAB: +0
Saving throws -  Fort: +3 Ref: +1 Will: +4 (+6 vs. Charm & Compulsion)
Speed:  30'  Carried Weight:   Init: +2 Languages: Common, Elven

Death (Undead) Domain: Death’s Kiss (Su): You can cause a creature to take on some of the traits of the undead with a melee touch attack. Touched creatures are treated as undead for the purposes of effects that heal or cause damage based on positive and negative energy. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 your cleric level (minimum 1). It does not apply to the Turn Undead or Command Undead feats. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

Strength (Ferocity) Domain: Ferocious Strike (Su): Whenever you make a melee attack, you can designate that attack as a ferocious strike. If the attack hits, it deals additional damage equal to 1/2 your cleric level (minimum +1). You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

Channel Negative Energy: Channeling energy causes a burst that affects all creatures of one type (either undead or living) in a 30-foot radius centered on the cleric. The amount of damage dealt or healed is 1d6 . Creatures that take damage from channeled energy receive a Will save to halve the damage. The DC of this save is equal to 10 + 1/2 the cleric’s level + the cleric’s Charisma modifier. Creatures healed by channel energy cannot exceed their maximum hit point total—all excess healing is lost. A cleric may channel energy a number of times per day equal to 3 + her Charisma modifier.

Domain Spells, 1st Level: Cause Fear, Enlarge Person

Spells: Zeroth Level x4: Create Water, Purify Food & Drink, Detect Magic, Mending
First Level x2: Cure Light Wounds, (Open Slot)
First level domain spell: Enlarge Person

Weapons
Scythe, 1d20+2, 2d4+3, crit x4

Traits:
-Hedonistic: Whenever you spend a day without gaining reward or treasure (at least 10 or more gold pieces) or spending an hour on entertainment or pleasure, attempt a DC 20 Fortitude save at the end of that day. If you fail, you begin the next day fatigued. This fatigue lasts 4 hours, or until you receive a reward or sufficient entertainment or pleasure.
+Sacred Conduct (faith): +1 to save DC of channel energy
+Missing trait!
+Missing trait!

Feats: Selective Channeling: Exempt upto CHA mod creatures from channel energy.

Background Skills: Craft (Int), Perform (Harpsicythe - okay, I just invented this, but, imagine a scythe where strings can optionally be strung from the blade down to the handle.)

Adventuring Skills: Heal, Diplomacy

Equipment:
Scythe 18gp, Scale Mail 50gp, Healers Kit 50gp, Surgeons Tools 25gp, Backpack 2gp, Bandoliers 1gp… total 146gp

Slot
She'd either be up for the primary healer or one of the wildcard slots. If healer, she'd function best with some support since she'll be at or near the front line herself.

orientation
Character is pansexual, with a preference for women and new experiences. As a player I'm open to anything including rape, death and other activities that would belong on the extreme boards.

Snake

Wow, did my bio actually make you ask that Hobbes? XD