News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Secrets of Cats (FATE Core world)

Started by wander, March 09, 2015, 01:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wander

To answer your question Cass, I believe from what was discussed that the setting will be based somewhat around it, though we will be looking into the spirit world being disrupted by a new construction effort in the cat's local areas. So the setting in the book is going to be more of a guide until we're all more gelled in and we'll be taking things aside in our own direction.

As stated before I'm a fan of Dungeon World, a game fuelled by ad-lib and what is mentioned off-hand by character's becomes canon. I may ask questions based on your posts and I will reward answers that adds to the setting with a Fate Point or two. I don't think this would break the game mechanic too much to do so. :)

Cassandra LeMay

What I think we might have to talk about a bit (perhaps in a to-be-created OOC thread?) is how much we want to put the focus on the spirit world. Astral Projection is an exclusive stunt, so - unless you want to change the rules - not everyone will be able to cross into the spirit world and deal directly with its denizens. While I like the idea of exploring the spirit world we might need to figure out how best to balance events in the spiritual world and physical world.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Sain

Possession / manifesting spirits? Maybe something nifty like certain moon cycles or star alignments making the spirits manifest partially so that pretty much everyone can interact with them to some extent as the worlds overlap, but the one with Astral Projection still has the advantage on it?
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Sain on March 27, 2015, 09:12:26 AM
Possession / manifesting spirits? Maybe something nifty like certain moon cycles or star alignments making the spirits manifest partially so that pretty much everyone can interact with them to some extent as the worlds overlap, but the one with Astral Projection still has the advantage on it?
I think a certain alignment or somesuch happening just around the time when we need it might be a bit much of a coincidence. But perhaps we could go for a sort of portal somewhere that we need to discover first before we can use it? Or maybe some rare herb that allows temporary access to the Astral Projection stunt? If whatever allows access to the spirit world is in the path of the ongoing construction work there might also be a time limit involved and/or the need to sabotage the construction work enough to give us more time?

(Sonia Sotomayor)

wander

A fair point gang... Thankfully I have some experience of spirits and ghosts and interactions with them in playing Werewolf and Geist... Leave it to me to try and think of a fair solution to this. I may be able to come up with something that doesn't add anymore mechanics or does a slight change using the FATE Toolkit.

Its been a hectic week for me this one past, so give me some time and I'll do my very best to have something legit for our game for when the new week begins, which is also when I plan to put up our IC thread. :)

Ryven

I have no idea what is going on, but the concept of this intrigues me. XD

wander

Heh, well check the first post for more info Ryven and if you're interested in joining, then you are welcome to place a Cat here to play as. :)

wander

Okay! Today will be the big day where I will be looking to kick us off in an IC thread over in the board above!

So far we have four cats, you three and Boots under my control who may act as a guide when things veer a little (though don't think that means I'll be rail-roading, more he'll act in situations where you may feel stuck, etc).

Ryven, you may join later if still interested and you get a cat CS up. :)

As far as I can read in the rules, spirits can be interacted with just fine by any cat (because PC cats are inherently psychic and spirits can also be affected by being physically touched, only Burdens can't see them as they are not psychic)... Astral combat is more a method to walk through inanimate barriers and give the optional for Astral combat for those cats not well versed in combat in a more traditional sense.

Now is everyone cool with that before we begin?

Blythe

Cassandra LeMay

I disagree a bit that astral combat is an alternative for cats not all that proficient with physical combat, as it does involve being asleep and leaving the body behind. That's not something you can do just whenever you choose to substitute one set of skills for another.

That said and this being FATE I'd say lets just give it a try and we'll see if this approach works or if it needs some adjustments. If it's the latter I am sure we'll work something out when the time comes.  :-)

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Sain

wander

Cass... Please excuse my bluntness, though I'm not homebrewing rules in... If you're unhappy with how astral combat is handled, then don't take it. I'm getting the vibe you're not too happy with how things in FATE are working though I really just want to run a nice game of Cats and not worry too much about extra mechanics... Thats not what FATE should be about, it should be about the story we tell, together.

I need a bit of a longer rest anyway, so I'll see about maybe doing the IC thread later today now that everyone's ready for it, more or less.

Cassandra LeMay

Wander, I don't want to worry about extra mechanics either. The more I read the FATE rules, the more I like this system because I do like to tell stories. Also I just want to have a fun adventure and enjoy the roleplaying. But FATE (in my reading) describes characters through who they are, what they can do, and how they interact with the world around them. And that is expressed in words on the character sheet.

So yes. I have some reservations about the whole astral thingy because I am afraid that it might devalue the abilities of my character. I picked a High Concept and an Exclusive Stunt that deals with this. Those are parts of my character and I am not keen on everyone getting the same stuff just for free. Being good at this astral stuff is part of my character. If everyone can do this stuff I will rework my character, but I am not keen on finding myself in a situation where I have to wonder why I ever took a stunt for something everyone can do by default. That's not about adding extra mechanics - it's about you making a call if a certain stunt does actually convey any benefits or if it's something anyone can use freely.

So lets be blunt: Will Astral Projection convey any benefits beyond what every cat can do, or is it rather wasted as a stunt?

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Sain

Generally, if you have an aspect and a stunt for something that already gives you enough mechanical advantage for it to be better than others are at it before we even go to any fluff applications.

The aspect that you're astrally projecting can be invoked for a wide range of things and compelled! More fate points are nice. Anyway in FATE it's pretty much a given that almost any PC can find a solution to every problem with some clever adaptation of their skills, though the actual IC explanations for how this happens will be very different and so the GM will probably give very different end results.

You can use your astrally projecting status to create very different aspects than people who are in the meat, and, remember, it's not just about getting the +2 from invoking it, the aspects are narrative truth as well so they may shape the scene in fun ways.

wander

This is taken directly from my pdf in regards to benefits Astral Projection can give;

QuoteIn this form, no ordinary door or wall can stop you, you can see in complete darkness, and you can fly at great speeds.

So along with what Sain is saying, no Cat is incorporeal has perfect dark-vision and can fly by default. Along with that, I may call for Compels when in use, due to attention given to your Cat by spirits for trespassing in their realm and also the point of your Cat's meat-body being asleep.

Cassandra LeMay

As I said before, let's give this game a try and see where it leads us. If we find out that some aspects of the game need a bit of tweaking we can see to that along the way.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

wander

Cass, what else is it that you're erring with? There seems to be something about the system that's putting your heckles up a little bit... I've explained now what benefits Astral Projection brings (note not every cat here has that ability, I believe it's just yours and my own GMPC), though if I can be blunt, I'd like to know where you think the game actively needs tweaking and why/how.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: wander on March 31, 2015, 11:31:40 AM
Cass, what else is it that you're erring with? There seems to be something about the system that's putting your heckles up a little bit... I've explained now what benefits Astral Projection brings (note not every cat here has that ability, I believe it's just yours and my own GMPC), though if I can be blunt, I'd like to know where you think the game actively needs tweaking and why/how.
Wander, I think you are reading too much into what I have said. That's all I can say, because I am not sure where you see the problem you think I may be seeing. I can not explain the vibes you are getting or what you read into my posts because I am more than happy to just give this a try, play and have fun. I can not reply to your worries because I have no clue where they are coming from.  :-(

(Sonia Sotomayor)

wander

Okay, well if thats the case then I'll look into setting up IC when I can and we'll all give this a big shot, yeah?  :-)