The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Started by Inkidu, January 11, 2011, 09:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqueline

Maybe that's just for the lowest quality settings?

Inkidu

Quote from: Xanatos on November 04, 2011, 11:44:38 AM
There is NO WAY IN HELL Skyrim will require the same system requirements. I run PC and I can tell just from the videos alone that Skyrim blows Oblivion out of the water with ease. Its character graphics alone will require a much better graphics card. The 3D map will eat up tons of RAM. The hard-drive space will be twice as big if not bigger.

The creators intentionally wanted to push the limits with what they could do for this particular generation (I'm not talking bleeding edge, though). They certainly will not have skimped and used old tech requirements. If they had, it would just be another Oblivion.
Actually, I thought the same thing. Apparently, this is what you get with a quote, optimized engine, unquote. They're not using Gambryo, they're using one they specifically made for Skyrim.

So it stands to reason that they might have a lot of shortcuts. Honestly, I've got it for 360 and if could play Oblivion for five years vanilla, (I mean totally vanilla, no patches or mods) I'm sure I can deal with Skyrim.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Xanatos

I know what you mean Inkidu, but those graphics they are showing in Skyrim are levels beyond Oblivion. I can't imagine the exact same requirements working for Skyrim. Some more advanced games do have the ability to be down graded to play on weaker powered machines, but that comes at the cost of graphics. When I played Mass Effect I, I had to lower the settings and I noticed a difference. The graphics were grainy and so forth. I believe its logical to assume that if Skyrim will work at all, it will suffer in graphics and thus defeat the point really.

Vekseid

Quote from: Xanatos on November 05, 2011, 12:54:43 AM
I know what you mean Inkidu, but those graphics they are showing in Skyrim are levels beyond Oblivion. I can't imagine the exact same requirements working for Skyrim. Some more advanced games do have the ability to be down graded to play on weaker powered machines, but that comes at the cost of graphics. When I played Mass Effect I, I had to lower the settings and I noticed a difference. The graphics were grainy and so forth. I believe its logical to assume that if Skyrim will work at all, it will suffer in graphics and thus defeat the point really.

A lot of it isn't that much more technically demanding. Some of the graphics mods for Oblivion actually used less texture RAM, simply because they were better done. This can be particularly striking with normal maps. The same is true for some of the optimized meshes available. Clipping extraneous polygons, etc.

Inkidu

Quote from: Xanatos on November 05, 2011, 12:54:43 AM
Really, it's a moot point with me. I'm getting it for console and I know it's going to look good consistently. I think all of the demos and trailer gameplay, but I know the E3 Demo for sure, are produced on 360 caliber hardware. \
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Lycan Queen

Throwing my thoughts in!

1) I hope the character creation process is a lot easier than in Oblivion. I loved the game, but it took me HOURS to get rid of that stupid fake beard thing they had on all the models, including the females.

2) Boss fights need improvement. The dragons look like a fun challenge, and I hope the story line bosses are just as fun. I remember gearing up and getting everything ready to fight Mannimarco at the end of the Mages's Guild quest, and then killed him in seconds. What a let down.

Those are just on my personal wish list, but I'm overall very excited!

Inkidu

Quote from: Lycan Queen on November 05, 2011, 08:03:09 AM
Throwing my thoughts in!

1) I hope the character creation process is a lot easier than in Oblivion. I loved the game, but it took me HOURS to get rid of that stupid fake beard thing they had on all the models, including the females.

2) Boss fights need improvement. The dragons look like a fun challenge, and I hope the story line bosses are just as fun. I remember gearing up and getting everything ready to fight Mannimarco at the end of the Mages's Guild quest, and then killed him in seconds. What a let down.

Those are just on my personal wish list, but I'm overall very excited!
Elder Scrolls V; Skyrim Character creation (Gameplay)*NEW*

That's all they've got right now on character creation.

I think it looks similar, but at least the faces aren't naturally blobs of plastic. I think the tweaks and stuff actually work this time around. More like Mass Effect this time. Lots of little miscellaneous details, too.

Also you may want to mute the video. It is the Tokyo Game Show... 

NotoriusBEN

I'll apologize beforehand and say that Im a bit of a jaded gamer and that I have a big middle-finger for those that think its blasphemy to *NOT* like Elderscrolls.

my biggest concern with skyrim is making combat fun.  I know shocking since I own elderscrolls 3 and 4. >.>

I hate FPS fantasy games. I want a 3rd person option (even in shooters, I like 3rd person because it gives the 'semblance of peripheral vision'). I want to see myself being a badass, twirling around and bludgeoning something. Oblivion bored the snot out of me because combat only really functioned in first person and it was tantamount to waving a stick in front of you. If there was more, I didnt get to it from boredom.

Pull a page from Demon Souls and Dark Souls. It works awesome.

The other thing that bugged me about oblivion. *EVERYONE* leveled up with you. If you at the level for glass weapons and mythral armor, everyone had a glass weapon and mythral, even the yokels in mudhut towns. That stuff is supposed to be rare and valuable and yet, as soon as you hit level 13 or so everyone decided to go to the attic and pull out the good stuff arbitrarily.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas were good at this. Enemies of certain areas used the weapons they had available (like normal people). If raiders had plasma weaponry, there was a good reason for it (a Vault nearby) and it was practically busted anyway. That is another thing I want them to have in skyrim. If Im in a mudhut town, they better be using inferior weapons and leather armor, unless the king's guard is rolling through. If Im in a dungeon of ancient power, I can accept better weapons on the enemy because that's believeable.

Inkidu

Well, both your concerns have been noted and dealt with.

First off: They've improved the third person view considerably, it's smoother and more animated. Also, third-person combat looks better, too. Since the overall combat has been overhauled the old standby of backpedal to win is pretty much gone. I don't know if it lives up to your own idea of what it should be, but it is something the Elder Scrolls team has put serious time into addressing.

Second: Skyrim adopts the Fallout 3 way of doing things. You enter an area and the level of the monsters is locked. Can't beat them? Go out, level up, and come back. I'm sure their are set piece enemies too that are probably somewhat fixed. I saw a battle with a Lich, and I don't know what level the guy was at, but it seemed pretty set piece to me.

NotoriusBEN

good, at least their learning.

combat... I'll watch my friend play for a bit before I hop in. I mean, I dont expect something like Dynasty Warriors or Fable where you mow down enemies, but something that works (tall order I know).

In Demon Souls, I've made my character a spartan with a spear and shield because it works very well and minimizes my exposure to enemies. But if an enemy gets inside my spear tip, Im pretty effed unless I knock them back or retreat a bit. Sword and knife users move pretty fast and If a knife guy gets in, he can mess you up.

Ok, like I said, I'll watch my friend play for a bit.

Chris Brady

Sadly, in Dark Souls (Which I played recently) the only way to actually play is with spear and shield if you don't want to be raped repeatedly.  Either that, or pick a bow.  As long, as you say, Ben, you minimize exposure to enemies you'll do fine.

I tried it with a Pyromancer, the Swamp dood.  Came up to the skeleton knight looking dood (in the tutorial), took me down in two hits, despite trying to get some range one them (what kinda jackass thought it was a good idea to give him a two handed axe, anyway???)  My friend, who owns the game, boots up a knight, clad in plate, chain and leather, from head to toe.  Comes up to the same peon enemy, just before you do the stabby drop, and WHAM, WHAM!  Dead.

I saw game play videos of this, I thought it was exaggeration, or some sort of trick.

I sincerely hope that Skyrim does NOT do that sort of brutal combat, where armour is pointless, and the best way to play the game is limited to a single way.  there's no fun in Magic: The Gathering style trap 'cards'.  Especially in class make up or toys you can pick.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Jacqueline

I also saw videos of this Dark Souls game. It’s a very hardcore game. I think the designed it to be that way, making the player die a lot and the like. Some people like challenges but I'm not sure if it's a good idea from the sales points of view. The casual market is huge in comparison.

I also hope that Skyrim is not like this one!

Meeka

I usually play Oblivion because the excellent mod support and the amazing mods the community has made. I've played the game through once without mods and wasn't terribly impressed, but fully modded to taste, the game becomes an amazing sandbox.

I'm pretty excited for Skyrim too, but I mostly look forward to the creations of the amazing Elder Scrolls community.

Inkidu

I don't think armor has ever been useless in The Elder Scrolls. Unless you're talking about the medium armor class in Morrowind, which is generally accepted as pointless (if kind of cool looking). It's a case of good at all, master of none. You're going to want armor. There are two types light and heavy. Heavy will take the punishment, and light will allow more dexterous characters to shine.

However, since the focus is on what skills and perks you take that improve as you use them I think your okay on the multiple fronts. Now I don't think you can get away with simply focusing on illusion and trying to win the game on that, but maybe illusion and conjuration and I'm sure you can win it. Because that's how I won Oblivion.

Hemingway

Medium armor in Morrowind was the best ever. I mean, it sucked, stats-wise, but Bonemold was so awesome-looking. Orcish, too, but I was always partial to Indoril Bonemold - what the Ordinators wear.

Unfortunately, I'm very set in my ways. I had to play Morrowind as a Dunmer. I had to play Oblivion as an Imperial. Guess what I'll be playing in Skyrim. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing - Nords are incredibly awesome. I also suspect I shall be playing a warrior of some sort. I try not to follow the development of games I love ( I like to avoid mass speculation, spoilers and so on ), so I don't know what the skill system is like in any detail, except it'll be "different". I seem to recall that weapons are now divided into One-handed and two-handed? It'll be the latter for me. With heavy armor. Probably some armorer and other useful skills thrown in. No magic.

Of course, I always go back later and make all kinds of awesome characters. I prefer playing Oblivion as a thief, even though my first character was a warrior.

OH, and I haven't looked at the character creator, but I hope it has ... well, fewer but more distinct options. The character creator in Oblivion and in Fallout ... it's useless. You turn one slider all the way to the top and get no change at all. Then you change something else, and it changes everything dramatically and suddenly everything is ruined.

Inkidu

I'll try not to spoil anything and this is all confirmed stuff:

Weapons are (as they were) divided into one handed and two handed. You can't have a sword, shield and spell ready at the same time, but one little click brings up your favorites menu and pauses the game letting you pick a spell you need and equip it before returning very fluidly to the game. I've seen it, it works well in my opinion.

The character creator is still the same, but I think I can see more change now than I used to be able to see. The big thing though is you have a lot more miscellaneous things now. Warpaint, blood, scars, damaged eyes, and even the placement of dirt on your character. I typically tweak presets to get what I want though. Trying to make a face from scratch never works. 

Hemingway

I do wonder, though - any word on whether armor and weapons will be divided into categories and tiers in the same way as Oblivion? Morrowind had a large selection of weapons and armor with more than one weapon for each type of material. With iron you didn't just have iron two-handed swords, but different kinds of two-handed swords with different stats. Oblivion just have you a two-handed sword, and if you liked two-handed swords then the next weapon you'd get would be the material one tier above. That kinda sucked.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on November 06, 2011, 04:28:41 PM
I do wonder, though - any word on whether armor and weapons will be divided into categories and tiers in the same way as Oblivion? Morrowind had a large selection of weapons and armor with more than one weapon for each type of material. With iron you didn't just have iron two-handed swords, but different kinds of two-handed swords with different stats. Oblivion just have you a two-handed sword, and if you liked two-handed swords then the next weapon you'd get would be the material one tier above. That kinda sucked.
I don't know, they've been really tight lipped. All I know in regard to weapon variation is that there are different finishing moves that depend on what you're using and on what.

You might not see bandits in glass armor anymore. I don't know depends on how much you get around low level. They do Fallout 3 in this one and lock the levels of monsters when you enter an are of the game.

I do know that they have a set number of spells. Eighty five, plus combos, plus double-fisting those suckers. If they nixed spell creation I can let it go. I can imagine dual wielding spells and spell creation to be a computing nightmare.

Chris Brady

All I want are all fighting styles to be equally viable.  From great two handers, to two weapons, to dagger and shield, bow all the way to Magic.  If Skyrim can do that for me, I'll be happy.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 06, 2011, 08:09:31 PM
All I want are all fighting styles to be equally viable.  From great two handers, to two weapons, to dagger and shield, bow all the way to Magic.  If Skyrim can do that for me, I'll be happy.
I'm pretty sure they are. Though I'm also sure it has limits. If you want to take down a dragon with two simple iron daggers and are primarily stealth based may Akatosh have mercy on your soul. Still, pretty sure the options are all there within reason. 

Bows are a little more powerful, but the draw on them is a little longer, also arrows aren't quite as abundant. Though this is early info so no idea if it stuck.

Hemingway

I'm going to find the biggest two-hander I can and stare that dragon down. SIZE MATTERS.

South

Personally, as soon as I heard that they were buffing the shit out of Dagger crits, and Bow damage I knew exactly what I was going to be. Dual dagger assassin with tons of alchemy for the win.

NotoriusBEN

I'll admit that anybody that can take a dragon down with a couple knives of comparative size as said dragon's teeth would be pretty bad ass.

Like a Crocodile Dundee version of a dragon slayer...

Inkidu

So chaps and chapettes, Three days, twenty three hours, forty two minutes, and forty seconds until Skyrim. What's the first thing you're going to do?

Me? Spend way too long on the character creation screen.

Hemingway

Yeah, ditto.

Then I'm going to hunt wild animals for shits and giggles.