Interest Check: SBURB

Started by Meliai, April 21, 2012, 09:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meliai

Ah, I wondered if it might be a cultural difference since you're from the UK! In America "Asia" is generally used to refer to China/Japan/the Koreas/Mongolia, where as India, Bangladesh, and all that lot are "South Asia." Pakistan varies depending on which other countries your referring to along with it but I think in this context it would be South Asian as well.

Negro and the "mispronunciation" are two distinct words here and the issue is a lot more complicated than you're making it out to be, but that's a whole 'nother deeply, deeply depressing conversation that's not terribly relevant to this thread.

Thanks for the edit :-)

Five players should be plenty to get us started so I'll start getting things set up tomorrow. Tonight's my roommate's birthday so we're heading downtown with friends, how terrible my hangover is tomorrow will probably be the deciding factor on whether I get things kicked off tomorrow or Monday. It's a bit difficult to post from my phone but I do have internet access and will try and remember to check a few times through out the evening, so feel free to post here or PM me if you have any urgent questions.

For now, I've got the OOC thread up right over here, so feel free to start working out relationships and whatnot or just chatting.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Winds Of Lust

Ah that was a small error on my part, she is his cousin not his sister, spent a lot of time working on this late at night in-between final studies and paper writing. I will correct that

Chrystal

Interesting fact: There are a lot more named web colours than you might think:

gold (which is not orange or yellow)
fuchsia (as against purple or pink)
maroon
chocolate (is not brown)
silver is different from grey
Odly, it is even possible to use white but only if you shaddow with a dark colour: White with black glow.

The thing to do is to try the name of a colour in the [ color = name ] tag, and click preview. If it works you will see the colour, if it doesn't the text will stay black.

Some colours, like Fuchsia and Magenta, are in fact the same, so worth testing them.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

SargentToughie

Alright everybody, here's what I got so far when it comes to my character. There are a few things that are subject to change and I'm sure that I'm going to tweak it like crazy to suit my needs, but for the most part this is what you can expect as far as my character's personality/appearance in the RP.

Annie

Full name: Annabelle Frost
Appearance: Annabelle stands at about 5' 5'', fairly average height if just a little bit on the short side. She has rather short orange hair that doesn't go past her shoulders and a matching shade of eye color that compliments it surprisingly well. She can often be seen wearing incredibly cute clothing that has a tendency to put the form she's so proud of on display without ever getting too vulgar about it, and will have a frequent tendency to dress up as a favorite character from a movie/show that she watched recently when the mood is right for it. One thing that she makes sure to do for all of her favorite shirts is have her 'wing' engraved on the front, which costs surprisingly less then one might expect when you're a returning customer like Annie.

Screen name: [ArchangelSarrah]
Associated color: Deep Sky blue
Associated symbol:

Strife Specibus: Featherkind (Might become Wingkind later, depending on how I want to take it, and what works the best. I'll go into further detail later.)
Fetch Modus: Array (subject to change)

Background: Annabelle (Annie to anybody who addresses her on a daily basis) was born and raised with absolutely know knowledge whatsoever of who her blood parents were. While this bothered her when she was younger, it was eventually something that she learned to tolerate and even accept by the time she was in her early teens. She had Grandpa Watson, a very kind old man who adopted her when she was about 7, and that was all that she needed to be happy and content at home. However, due to the fact that she was incredibly shy growing up and didn't make a whole lot of friends, she spent an incredible amount of her free time when she got home on the computer, chatting with friends half a country away and getting away from the world where she was picked on for her less then social hobbies and her (back then) very unimpressive and unappealing physique. In her preteens she was a scrawny girl, neglected for more 'desirable' girls who matured faster then she did. It resulted in her shunning her peers, and going home to a world where her physical appearance didn't matter, where she could pretend to be anything she wanted. Of course, due to Annie having her heart stolen by a hit TV show that she watched at an early age, her absolute favorite thing to imagine herself as was an angel of justice, smiting evildoers and doing generally heroic things... Most of the time she accomplished this through lame self-insert fanfiction and other short stories.

She carried on like this for her preteen years, and she was as content as she could be. However, right before she started attending high school, there was about a year long period where something magical happened to Annie. She became hot; almost direct, living proof about the rumors concerning late bloomers. Naturally, this meant that as soon as she was given a new set of peers and a clean slate when she and her "Grandpa" moved, she was almost instantly put on a pedestal and fawned over. Anybody else would have taken this to their heads and lost their minds as a result, however, Annie spent most of her early years hating the people around her, so she ended up thinking along the lines of 'these people are skin deep, F**k them'. This did end up going away after a few years, though by that point most of the guys knew that it was a lost cause trying to just pick her up for a single night of fun before moving on. By the time she got to Senior year, she only had a scarce few relationships, and none of them got particularly far. In some ways she considered herself blessed because of that, as she saw many of her classmates lose their way and make some pretty dumb mistakes during single nights of passion or because they met their 'soul mate' and dropped out of her class.

Even with her newfound social acceptance though, Annie remained a dork at heart, often writing lame stories about angels of justice, quoting internet memes in every day conversation, letting slip that she's a budding otaku, and always... ALWAYS... going home to her second life with all of her internet friends who didn't care about her real life problems or bother her the way that real life people did. As far as relationships went, no matter how childish she told herself it seemed, she kept on waiting for that ultimate fantasy where a hero would sweep her off her feet, woo her, and carry her off to a lifetime of happiness somewhere far, far away. Sure, she's fully aware that real relationships don't work that way, but the fantasy isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Current residence: A 2 floor house where she lives with her adopted Grandfather. (technically Dad, but the age difference between them is so great that she calls him Grandpa)

Sexual Orientation: Mostly straight, but she has started to get kinda curious recently.

Strengths: Incredibly committed to her goals and passionate about them, incredibly open hearted and playful to anybody she meets at first, often energetic and cheery, even if the people around her are upset. When she's got a goal that she believes in and can get behind, she will end up putting her all into it and giving it an incredible mount of effort and passion.

Weaknesses: ...Incredibly headstrong and stubborn, can often come off as an airhead if somebody doesn't take time to get to know her. She does let her mind wander from time to time, and when she gets bored she has an incredibly difficult time focusing on one set thing, as her mind often wanders and thinks about things that are far more interesting and exciting then what she's currently dealing with.

Notable hobbies: Anime, writing corny short stories (often about angels), reading (both regular novels and manga), cooking (she's a shockingly good cook), tending to her kitten, video games, bargain hunting.

Likes: Just about anything that comes out of Japan, her pet kitten (or anything cute and fuzzy, for that matter), angels, sweet foods, fun and energetic people, seeing or experiencing new things

Dislikes: demons, bitter foods, people who are too depressing, or rude for no reason, sad endings to any form of media, overly aggressive guys hitting on her, anything that gets tedious or repetitive. 

Fears: large and tightly paced crowds, snakes, airplanes, clowns.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Meliai

Aside from what I mentioned in the PM you're looking good so far (but don't forget you need a written description even if you have a character portrait.)

My one suggestion would be the reconsider her associated color; silver's not too bad on the lighter background posts but on the darker blue/grey it's quite hard to read.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Chrystal

Try putting a black glow behind the silver?

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Meliai

As a graphic designer that would make me weep QnQ
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Chrystal

Lol. Sorry.

You can get some interesting effects though.... FIRE, for example!

And the glow or shadow tabs do enable lighter colours to be made to work, but I agree that they are ill-advised.

Always worth clicking the <Preview> button and checking what your post will look like. (Especially if you're messing about with a complex table structure!)

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Other than what has already been mentioned, looks good, Toughie!

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

SargentToughie

Alright, so I tossed in a brief physical description and me and Mel are talking about her weapon style through PM. Any suggestions as to what color that I could give her? I was thinking gold at first, but I already saw two of the 'yellow-ish' colors in the lineup, so that would just get repetitive.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

who149

Her affinity with wings seem to be perfect for a Cyan color, sky and all that.

Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

Chrystal

Cyan is a little light. sky blue is too. Teal, maybe?

Revenent

If you're going for blues, dodger blue could work. Or deep sky blue. I don't know how those look against the lighter post backgrounds, though. Royal blue might be the best.

EDIT: None of them look too bad, actually.

Chrystal

OOH, I like Deep Sky Blue. aquamarine? Oh no. way too light. azure? EEP! invisible! Of course there's always plain old blue... Navy? Or how about dark blue? Hmm, they are the same.

SargentToughie

Deep sky blue seems to work for her.

I'll go with that.
Ons and offs

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Do we have anyone else still working on characters who needs help? I'm pretty sure we're not at our max character limit...

Latooni, are you still interested? Haven't heard from you in a bit.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

who149

I think 6 is enough, It'll be nice to have more people, but we can do with 6.

Plus I don't think anybody new is going to show up anytime soon.
Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

Chrystal

You never know, they might....

We just have to keep the thread up near the top...

Revenent

Let's just make it our main OOC thread so it's always on the first page.  ::)