[Full] D&D 3.5e game - dungeon crawl

Started by Combicon, April 15, 2009, 05:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

They're about equal in AC, but the ranger's got a better attack bonus and damage.  The HP came from 8 + 7 + 3 + CON bonus (+1/lvl).  And I got a bit lucky on the dice rolls.  I think I focused the skill points a bit more and went for smaller ticket magic items too.  So Durias can "do" less in terms of training, in some respects.

Did you include CON bonus for HP?
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Inkidu

Quote from: Vandren on April 16, 2009, 07:36:53 AM
They're about equal in AC, but the ranger's got a better attack bonus and damage.  The HP came from 8 + 7 + 3 + CON bonus (+1/lvl).  And I got a bit lucky on the dice rolls.  I think I focused the skill points a bit more and went for smaller ticket magic items too.  So Durias can "do" less in terms of training, in some respects.

Did you include CON bonus for HP?
By a rule of thumb no I just rolled it dice.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Vandren

Should end up with 3 additional HP then.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Inkidu

There it's totally updated.

I think I'm going to end up doing all the climbing.
I wonder what kind of dungeon Combi picked out.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Xillen

Quote from: Combicon on April 16, 2009, 06:58:18 AM
Personally, I use http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm to roll dice, if not that then I'll do it irl.
I don't know of any other dice roller. xD

There's no store button, so I can't prove to you that I rolled that. Might as well roll with my actual dice.

There's a dieroller built into the forum, which has a store button, so the DM can check if the players are playing fair.

But yeah, you can roll for my dice IRL :)

Inkidu> Don't forget that you get max HP for your first level instead of rolling it.

As for the skills, it might be easier to see it like this:

Your class gives a number of skills per level.
You add your Intelligence modofier to this value.
You add 1 to this value if you are a Human.
The end value is your "skills per level" value.

Simple method:
Pick a number of skills equal to your "skills per level" value.
You have <your level + 3> ranks in each class skill you picked.
You have half of that (rounded down) in each cross class skill you picked.

Advanced method:
Multiply "skills per level" by <your level + 3> to get your total amount of skillpoints.
Spend them on skills as you desire, but no more than <your level + 3> skillpoints per skill.
Your ranks in class skills are equal to the number of skillpoints spent.
Your ranks in crossclass skills are equal to half the number of skillpoints spent (rounded down).

Of course, all the above assumes you're a singleclass. It get's a little more complex for multiclass.

Inkidu

I've got my skill right though I'm going to have to redo my hit rolls. So I get the max (8).

Xillen

Going over Inkidu's character sheet:

14 hit points means you rolled a 1 and a 2? (Your total HP should be 8+1 + 1d8+1 + 1d8+1 = 2d8 + 11)

Skillpoints:
6 (class) + 1 (int) = 7/level, for a total of 42. I seem to count 43 skillpoints.

You need to remove 1 skillpoint. You might also consider focussing your skillpoint more. A lot of skills that have 5 or more ranks give a +2 bonus to one or more other skills. In addition, some of your class abilities depend on your Survival and Handle Animal skills, so you might make sure you have enough ranks in there.

Lastly, some skills, such as Knowledge and Open Lock are trained only. You can only use them if you have at least 1 rank in them.

Inkidu

Quote from: Xillen on April 16, 2009, 08:30:17 AM
Going over Inkidu's character sheet:

14 hit points means you rolled a 1 and a 2? (Your total HP should be 8+1 + 1d8+1 + 1d8+1 = 2d8 + 11)

Skillpoints:
6 (class) + 1 (int) = 7/level, for a total of 42. I seem to count 43 skillpoints.

You need to remove 1 skillpoint. You might also consider focussing your skillpoint more. A lot of skills that have 5 or more ranks give a +2 bonus to one or more other skills. In addition, some of your class abilities depend on your Survival and Handle Animal skills, so you might make sure you have enough ranks in there.

Lastly, some skills, such as Knowledge and Open Lock are trained only. You can only use them if you have at least 1 rank in them.
Varden says I get a +3 con bonus.

Combicon

Looking at the character sheets:

Inki - the composite longbows range is 110 ft. :P
Aside from that, I can't see anything else that needs to be changed.

Van - The daggers damage is soley 1d4 I believe, the 1d3 is for small sized characters (I think), and 1d4 is medium sized, the same with the mace (medium = 1d8)
And what class did you choose first? Just making sure the skill points are correct and all that. :P

Should this be moved to another thread? xD

Inki - +3 con bonus? Reading over the half-elf and ranger pages I can't see that, but I might be mistaken.

Inkidu

It's a  +1 bonus per level retrospective, and if I had to take a guess it's because of my one +1 in constitution. This is to my HP should have made that clear. Maybe I should just re-roll my Hits

Vandren

Quote from: Combicon on April 16, 2009, 08:33:58 AM
Van - The daggers damage is soley 1d4 I believe, the 1d3 is for small sized characters (I think), and 1d4 is medium sized, the same with the mace (medium = 1d8)
And what class did you choose first? Just making sure the skill points are correct and all that. :P

Yep.  I put the small / medium as a reminder for myself.

Cleric goes first, there's enough crossover of class skills that only the Knowledges (Arcana, Local, and History) should be affected.

QuoteInki - +3 con bonus? Reading over the half-elf and ranger pages I can't see that, but I might be mistaken.

He's covered that, I think (+1 hp per level for constitution at 3 levels = +3 hp).

Combicon

Van - Alright, hehe.
And I wasn't aware that it was +conbonus per level. I am now though. :]
So the max he'd be able to get is 27 hitpoints I believe, and the lowest would be 14.

anyone else spotted any other problems, unless we haven't covered hitpoints enough? :D

Inkidu

No I think my Char sheet is finally finished.

Xillen

rolling 1 and 1 would give 8+1, 1+1, 1+1 = 13 hp.

rolling 8 and 8 would give 8+1, 8+1, 8+1 = 27 hp.

And yes, it's con modifier (+1) per level, so +3 total.

I also notice a +2 bonus to decipher script. Dunno where it comes from. The bonuses from Agile, and the racial bonus for Sense Motive is missing.

Inkidu

Quote from: Xillen on April 16, 2009, 09:42:22 AM
rolling 1 and 1 would give 8+1, 1+1, 1+1 = 13 hp.

rolling 8 and 8 would give 8+1, 8+1, 8+1 = 27 hp.

And yes, it's con modifier (+1) per level, so +3 total.

I also notice a +2 bonus to decipher script. Dunno where it comes from. The bonuses from Agile, and the racial bonus for Sense Motive is missing.
I get a racial bonus to sense motive?

Vandren

Quote from: Xillen on April 16, 2009, 09:42:22 AM
racial bonus for Sense Motive is missing.

Half-Elves don't get a bonus for Sense Motive.  Actually, I can't find any race in the PHB that does get a Sense Motive bonus.

He does get a +2 Sense Motive against Orcs (favored enemy), but that's class based.

Xillen

Or was it Diplomacy? It was to 2 skills, I'm sure.

I'll check it out when I'm back at home. Can check on all the stuff then.

Inkidu

Quote from: Xillen on April 16, 2009, 09:48:24 AM
Or was it Diplomacy? It was to 2 skills, I'm sure.

I'll check it out when I'm back at home. Can check on all the stuff then.
It's diplomacy what do I get for agile?

Vandren

Inkidu

Combicon

The only other thing would be if you guys want the game to be more of an open game, or a fixed one; so a game where the map has been mostly drawn, but things can change, or one where very little can change. :]

Inkidu

Quote from: Combicon on April 16, 2009, 10:07:39 AM
The only other thing would be if you guys want the game to be more of an open game, or a fixed one; so a game where the map has been mostly drawn, but things can change, or one where very little can change. :]
I vote more open.

RubySlippers

Stats for my character Thistlerose, the halfling "um" adventureress thats it sounds nice and pro-fessional.

These don't include racial adjustments.
STR 16, DEX 15, CON 15, INT 17, WIS 16, CHA 12

So her stats are Str 14, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 17, Wis 16, Cha 12 (adjusted) and I will note I rolled and kept these as they came up on the dice roller.

Will be a classic burglar sort of rogue, bluffing and the like isn't her forte' anyway. So how are you doing hit points and money?

Inkidu

2700 gold and whatever the hit die for rogues is I suppose.

RubySlippers

Hit Points 20.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2027251/

Maximum at Level 1 6 Hit Points
Rolled for the next two levels and added 6 Hit Points for Con

So 2d6+12. Simple.

Anyway fighting is for the big strong fighter types they do their jobs and she will do hers.  :D