Gangs of Neonopolis: Cyberpunk Street Gangs

Started by Urbanzorro, February 15, 2011, 02:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urbanzorro

The year is 2265. And the world is a different place. The works of a man named Maxamilian Arturo have cemented the idea of social Darwinism in the world’s collective mindset. The strong rule by the only right there is, the right of power. Forget the right of the people, the meek have not inherited the earth, they are little more than the toy’s of the powerful. Unless one is ruthless or quite skilled there is no upward mobility in society.

The governments of the past have faded away, in their place independent city states have risen. One such place is the city state of Neonopolis, the largest city in human history. Run by an elected council. To those on the outside, and in the upper levels it is a shining symbol of mankind’s greatness, his mastery of science and nature, a utopia built upon a once mighty river. But this image is little more than a mask, for as one travels deeper into the city, down to the lower levels. It becomes apparent that all the old problems of the world’s former great cities have not disappeared, they have simply grown to match the city they are a part of. The lower levels of Neonopolis are a hotbed for civil unrest, street gangs, counter government movements, and even military weapons testing.

All of these threats are just barely held in check by the police. For those who would seek it, the road to power is merely a question of making the right choices, acting on them, and not being afraid to break the law.

OOC

Ok so this is my idea for a role play which will cast the players as leaders and members of street gangs in the futuristic city of Neonopolis. So without further delay  I'll get to the meat and potatoes of how this will ideally work out. There will be two ‘classes’ of characters. Leaders, and followers. I’ll go into each type in depth below.

Leaders:
These would be people who for whatever reason have gained control of another group of people. They could be religious cults, street gangs, anti-government groups, whatever. Anyone playing a leader would be responsible for creating their main character, as well as fleshing out their group. (i.e. explaining who they are,  about how many of them there are, what their goals are, and so on and so forth). In addition leader characters' players will be responsible for making decisions that will effect their entire faction. These decisions will most likely be presented IC, as well as OOC via both PMs and within the game thread.

Followers:
These would be those who have chosen to follow others(or not been given the choice) they would most likely be people who have joined the group for food/protection, been captured, ect. As such they can really be anyone. They are able to join one of the player created groups but not any of the NPC ones which will be used to help flesh out the city. I.E. no police officers, ect.

There will obviously be some conflict between the different groups ect. When this is between a player group and an NPC group it will remain very simple. I as GM will decide fairly which side has the advantage and thus which side will win. In order to keep things easy and simply I ask that players use statements such as "My Character shoots at the police officer, aiming for their head" rather than "My character shoots at the police officer and hits them in the head" this allows you, the player, to have quite a bit of freedom as to what your character does but also allows me, the GM, to determine the outcome of a fight/battle/ect. I find that this is MUCH more fun/simple/easy than having to have large occ discussions just to work through a single scene. And hopefully you will as well. As far as conflicts between player groups. When/if these do occur then the outcomes will be decided OOC. IF players cannot come to an agreement in a calm and reasonable manner I, as GM, will step in and decide which side(s)/character(s) are the winners.

Interactions between the leader characters would obviously be as equals (at least at first), where as those between leaders and followers would not. Ideally I'd be looking for at most 2 leader characters. And at least 4 followers if not more with no real limit (within reasion) to follower characters.

As far as HOW the actual game play will work, i.e. how the story will be progressed, there will be two types of days. The average day and the uncommon day. The average day will focus on character interaction, planning, and will basically represent days where nothing big happens in the city or to the groups. An uncommon day would represent things like turf wars, police raids, robberies, ect. Ideally about 2/3 of the game will be average days and 1/3 will be uncommon days. The events taking place in uncommon days would mostly likely span anywhere from 1-5 days in real life (depending on how large the event is and how long it takes to play out). And may or may not include all player groups.

The character sheets are as follows:

Here is the character sheet for a Leader

Leader/Follower: Is your character a leader or a follower?

Name: What is your character's name?

Appearance: What does your character look like(Image)
Details: Are their any non-pictured details that you would like to be made known?

Personality: What do they act like? (at least a paragraph)

Short Bio: Who are they? What has their life been like so far? (at least 2 paragraphs)

Personal Equipment: What does your character normally carry with them/use as a weapon/vehicle/ect?

Their Group’s Name: What is the name of the gang/cult/group that your character leads?

Group’s Description: who they mostly are, what their goals are, ect.

Weapons/Equipment: What the average member has/uses as a weapon, as well as any special/uncommon weapons that they have in smaller numbers ect. This also includes what if any vehicles they normally use. For example if your character is leading a biker gang this would be where you mention almost everyone has a motorcycle or something of that sort.

Numbers: A rough idea of how large your group is. For the sake of fairness I ask that no group number over 50 for the beginning of the game.

Preferred territory: A list of those available will be made if interest is shown.

Player preferences: Things you DO/DO NOT want to encounter/have happen to your character. For  example: Into M/F, Bondage, NC. Not into M/M. )

And here is the one for a Follower

Leader/Follower: Is your character a leader or a follower?

Name: What is your character's name?

Appearance: What does your character look like(Image)
Details: Are their any non-pictured details that you would like to be made known?

Personality: What do they act like? (at least a paragraph)

Short Bio: Who are they? What has their life been like so far? (at least 2 paragraphs)

Personal Equipment: What does your character normally carry with them/use as a weapon/vehicle/ect?

For the sake of fairness I reserve the right as GM to balance the sides out (via gentle suggestions/asking, not demanding ;D) if need be.

Also, here is a bit of information about the  level of technology that would be common in the city. It should also be mentioned that the exact look/capabilities will be up to the players with me only stepping in if something seems unbalanced.

Cars/Trucks/ect:

They still roll on wheels, that having been said everything else is up in the air/open for creative interpenetration.

Guns

Still fire bullets, though the bullets they fire may be more advanced/the way they fire them may be different ect.

Now for some of the less common things. Like police gear, standard issue military gear, ect

Riot gear/body armor

Obviously having gone through many advances.

Now more advanced things i.e. experimental stuff, special opps gear, tanks, mechsuits ect. These would be quite rare/powerful.

Mechsuits

On the question of Mechsuits I say yes! They do exist, though they are still quite experimental and restricted to military use. (meaning you'll have to do some work IC as the story goes along to get your hands one one ;D)

Robots:

Yes, though no self-thinking/intelligent ones. In essance they'd be like UAV's ect except no longer needing someone to remote control them, though they'd still need to be given orders, and would not think or act for themselves. So to sum it up they'd be tools not characters.

Tanks:

Bigger meaner, cooler, obviously in use by authorities and not available at the beginning of the game.

Hovering/flying/floating anything

Hovering tech would be the cutting edge of civilian technology. And therefore anything that hovers would also have very low numbers/be very rare.

Hopefully this catches some interest.
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Le Immortelle

Hey, this setting looks stunning! And I would certainly love to play one of the leaders, will send my character in tomorrow. :)

Urbanzorro

Glad to see some interest!

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Elven Sex Goddess

Nice concept and setting.  A lot to work with.   I like to throw in and create a 'follower'.

Urbanzorro

Sounds good :D Amazon has a gang already cooked up she should be posting it up soon ;D

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Le Immortelle

Leader/Follower: Leader

Name: Ava Tripova

Appearance:
Details: A fire breathing dragon tattoo on her bicep.

Personality: Ava is a pretty cold woman. Often merciless towards her enemies. She doesn't accept any excuses and expects the absolute best from people who are working under her. She suffers from a little bit of paranoia as she has had to overcome a lot of obstacles and plenty of plotting against her to reach the place where she is right now. In private she can be gentle or even caring to some of her lovers at times, but also wouldn't hesitate to put a bulet through them if they are going to prove to be a threat to her empire. For all the violence, she is a woman of class and considers herself far more above the majority of the street punks running around in the city.

Short Bio: Ava born in the slums of Neonopolis and at the age of 9, was dumped on the streets by her mother who was a prostitute and vanished in the vast city. She quickly got into juvenile delinquency and got into petty crimes like shoplifting and theft or even drug delievery. That is until one of delieveries went wrong when she was 16 and as cops intervened but she managed to impress everyone by calmly disposing off the cops. Impressing her boss, since then her reputation grew as more and more bigger jobs were handed to her. Until by the age of 25 she was pretty much the right hand of her boss, Alexei.

When she learnt Alexei was going to transfer all of his empire to his son Kiril as he felt his death was near, Ava simply took the oppurtunity to execute both father and the son and proclaim herself the undisputed leader of the organisation. There was a lot of opposition considering the methods she chose, and the fact that a woman was leading them..something which didn't sit well with many. But Ava was firm and had followers of her own who knew just the ways to make the opposition disappear until they accepted her superior status. She renamed the gang as New Order and continued the rule.

Personal Equipment: Ava typically carries a slightly modified Uzi and a pistol. As for the ride, has a black modified limousine.

Their Group’s Name: The New Order

Group’s Description: To gain the absolute control of Neonopolis through both legal and illegal means.

Weapons/Equipment: Most members carry machine guns, body armor and cars. The group owns few robots as well.

Numbers: 25

Preferred territory: A list of those available will be made if interest is shown.

Player preferences: Well, just my offs.

Urbanzorro

Alright! So we have a gang for any followers to join ;D

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

elfguy

Oh wow exactly my type of setting! I'll post a leader sheet unless we end up with too many chiefs then I'm fine with playing a follower too.
----

Elven Sex Goddess

Follower

Name:  Barbara 'Barbie' Jackson

Appearance: 

Physical attribute stats

Hair;  Natural blonde
Eyes;  Blue
Height;  5'4"
Weight; 123lbs
Measurements:  34D-22-34

Distinguishing markings -   A bitch tattoo of a butterfly on the small of her back.   Within the butterfly a Chinese symbol representing property.   

Personality:  When it comes to her professional training.   She is a real bureaucrat in her approach to her work.   

Being super smart and a bombshell at the same time.  Coupled with a submissive nature.   Barbara's personality has her giving the impression of the typical dumb blonde.   

Bio: Barbara is borderline genius when it comes to mathematics.  A degree in accounting,  registered certified public accountant.  Landed  her  a job right out of college four years ago.     The Sun corporation,  or more the front for the Chinese triad known as the Butterfly group.    Hired at the starting entry level.    Her ability with numbers along with her bombshell looks.   Quickly caught the eye of the leaders of the gang.

In which Barbara rose to the highest honor that a outsider could within the triad, that of protected property.    She also amongst the gang quickly picked up the nickname of Barbie.   Her dual  assets as property to the gang made her a valuable asset.   

All of this though one month ago came to an end.  For bloody infighting of the triad for dominance.  The butterfly gang was beaten and assimilated into the surviving Chinese gangs in the city.    As property  a asset of the Sun corporation that had been taken over with a hostile takeover.    Barbara now finds herself literally on a auction block, to be auctioned off with the other liquidated assets of the corporation.

Personal Equipment:  Samsung 'Dragon 900'  (A holographic interactive smart phone Specifications; Height; 4.3inches, width; 2.25 inches, depth .537 inches.  4.5 mega pixel camera/video recorder.  8GB / 2TB storage.  Virtual holographic projected keyboard and 16/9 ratio image, talk time 36 hrs,  stand bye 560 hrs.  Windows 19 premium edition,  7G wifi network.  Google GPS,  1000 capable phone book, Trigonometry calculator,   Open office edition 13.4, flash drive, usb port, HDMI port.  

elfguy

Leader/Follower: Follower

Name: Alina Sanchez

Appearance:

Personality: Alina is considered by most to be a total bitch. She doesn't get along with most people, especially anyone she considers upper class or has any kind of authority such as politicians or cops. She can get to trust some people, usually street kids, and can be quite convincing, often using random teenagers she meets on the streets to do tasks for her, such as plant explosives or other dangerous tasks. She thinks mostly about herself, and a few rare friends. She's always been on the move and active and is the type to go in, fist raised, knocking any opposition out, before asking questions.

Short Bio: Alina hated school, and that's where she started on the downward path. Her grades were never great, and she preferred the playing ground to the indoor of the school. She quickly dropped out, and since her parents were drug and alcohol addicts, they barely noticed. She mostly raised herself, and the only people she trusted were other street kids.

Now that she's slightly older, she learned how to take care of herself. She often comes off as combative and impulsive, and indeed can be provoked easily, but she knows how to attack most situations. If odds are against her, she will use other people, or go in quietly, using stealth maneuvers, to do whatever she has to do. However, she doesn't have the tactical skills to lead a gang herself, and if someone else has a good idea, she's fine with following it, as long as it doesn't become too inconvenient for her. To survive, she had to follow many different leaders, some great and some not so much. But she knows when a situation is about to become explosive, and has no trouble doing a quiet exit.

Personal Equipment: Usually wears army boots with a hunting knife in them, cargo pants with an MP5 holster on one leg, belt with a M9 in a holster and various pouches and ammo clips, and either a tank top or bikini top. She owns no vehicle but can drive, and has been known to steal, many different types of cars, trucks and even some helicopters.
----

PeacethatPowerbrings

Follower

Name: Sarah J. Halcyon

Appearance:

Short Bio: Sarah was a military test pilot, working on a experimental powered armor suit. Graduating as a prodigy, she was offered a place in a military research program, and became a test pilot for armored vehicles and aircraft. Proficient in learning new control systems, and willing to undergo more radical procedures, she volunteered for a hazardous testing assignment. As the result of the event, both she, and the experimental armored suit she was piloting at the time were nearly destroyed.

Player preferences: Ons: M/F, F/F, Bondage Offs: None.
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.