News:

Main Menu

Favorite Spell?

Started by Spookie Monster, December 17, 2008, 06:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

No, not your favorite Spel; I, of course, am your favorite Spel.*  I'm curious about what your favorite spell is.  It can appear in any pencil-and-paper roleplaying game; it can have any effect.  In short: What is your favorite spell?

Spel

* Of course, I'm your least favorite Spel, too; such is the blessing and the curse of being one of a kind.

Let the moral of this magic Spel negotiate your hide...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

The Overlord

Ah well, Fireball (Wiz 3rd) in D&D rules has been a classic over the years and through several rules versions, like the good saying goes there's no problem that can't be solved with high-explosives. Then again, it's amazing what one can do with a lowly cantrip and a bit of imagination.  ;D

Oniya

We always had a lot of fun with the Grease spell (AD&D 2nd ed, not sure if they kept it).  There's nothing better to break up an evil maniac's soliloquy with than a good pratfall.  (Why yes, we were a mostly Chaotic party, now that you mention it...)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avi

I always liked Chain Lightning, myself.  Even though I rarely played wizards, it's just satisfying to generate what is essentially a massive static shock chain. :P
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Vekseid

That's a hard one. Spells that let you store or mimic other spells (without the insane cost of Wish) would probably be considered cheating.

In D&D, Teleport was rude in a global political sense, it let you and your friends effectively be a collection of crack commando teams rather than one single one. "Excuse us while we ruin all your plans..."

In Legend of the Five Rings, easily Fires from Within. That was an insanely powerful spell in 1st edition - spells in 1st edition L5R do not miss, they are entirely dependent on the ability of their caster. So it was possible for a starting character to single-handedly bring down small bandit squads in the blink of an eye.

In Exalted, I would have to choose Imbue Amalgam. Make your own army of enchanted super-soldiers!

HairyHeretic

In terms of sheer chaos caused, Nahals Reckless Dwoemer. This was a wild mage spell in 2nd ed that would allow the wild mage to cast any spell they knew, but you had to roll on the wild surge table too. The results of that spell were .. interesting :)

Saw a mage get 3 wild surges in succession trying to cast something simple .. I think it was magic missle against goblins. The first cause large heavy objects to fall on the targets ... boulder, anvil, safe, piano ... the second caused the caster and target to fall madly in love .. unfortunately the objection of his affections didn't survive the third surge, which was a fireball at ground zero (the mage's feet).

So much amusement from one little spell.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Apple of Eris

Eviscerate from the GURPS Grimore.

"I think I'll take your heart..." *evil cackle*
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

HairyHeretic

I'd a female player back in 2nd ed was very fond of threatening the rest of the group with Power Word: Castrate  :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Lilias

Mage: the Ascension has some pretty nifty stuff.

Combat Effect: Iron Avatar (Tradbook Euthanatos, 2nd ed)
By attuning herself to the essence of Kali, a Chakravat assumes the guise of her goddess. (Male Euthanatoi channel Shiva the Destroyer, instead.) As sharp blades grow from her nimble hands, she spins into a dance of blood and madness that ends when her enemies have been reduced to severed limbs.

Non-combat Effect: Penny Dreadful's Bright New Penny (Book of Shadows)
One Hollow One, Penny Dreadful, devised this rote to restore sticks of old rubbish into the beautiful furnishings they had once been. By perceiving them in their heyday, she returned them to their former splendor. Moreover, an antique tablecloth allowed her to conjure every meal that had ever been placed upon it, gathering a fortune in vintage china and silverware. After tiring of Paradox, she devised several non-vulgar applications. After all, one never knows exactly what treasures you might find in the attics of abandoned houses or locked inside that antique hope chest willed to you by your Great Aunt Martha.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

The Overlord

If we could include MMO's I'd like to include the Eye of Xomm spell series in EverQuest. Basically a directed wizard eye, that also sees invisible and hidden creatures at the higher levels, I've found a ton of uses for it.

Of course scrying in general is nifty.  ;D

Doomsday

Hunter's Sight in Oblivion. It's a Vampire skill, it casts Night Eye and Detect Life for 30 seconds, and only takes up 5 Magicka!

Elven Sex Goddess

I have to say 'Shape change' in Dungeon & Dragons.   

Royan

My favorite was the "Lord of Vermillion" from Ragnarok Online.
Mass area lightning attack was just pure hotness.

King_Furby

My favorite Spell is a spell card from yugioh duel monsters online.

Shield and Sword: It switches a monsters attack and defense points. And since my deck is like all defense cards i can use this spell to attack with a monster who normally has week attack but strong defense

gideonblake

Counterspell from Magic.

I ran a deck that was based around counterspell, bouncing, cumulative upkeep and paying for their own stuff all the time, and pinging them to death. The most annoying deck I think I've ever run, but so much fun.

(also, counterspell wins vs everyone else's :P)

Oniya

Quote from: gideonblake on December 19, 2008, 07:00:30 PM
Counterspell from Magic.

I ran a deck that was based around counterspell, bouncing, cumulative upkeep and paying for their own stuff all the time, and pinging them to death. The most annoying deck I think I've ever run, but so much fun.

(also, counterspell wins vs everyone else's :P)

Hah - my husband used to have a Blue deck that he called his 'No you don't' deck.  He would break it out when the local MtG shark (think pool shark, only with CCGs) broke out the irritating 'Squeak' deck (based around Plague Rats).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

ZByte

Prestidigitation.  It was my favorite spell to work with, as it was more or less a spell for flavor, compensating all the simple, yet clearly magical things wizards and such can do.  I used it to entertain, to flirt, to make myself seem like a god amongst savages, and to try to make myself seem like a god amongst more modern savages, only to be tried as a witch and sentenced to death by incineration.

Most of the time, though, I just like coming up with interesting ways to cast/use/describe my spells.  My DM was pretty lenient on how creative I could get, so my fireballs looked like a blue mushroom cloud blooming with dragon's wings, my Cloudkill came out of my mouth like a yellow fog, and my Magic Missile wand looked like a lotus blossom on a rod, the petals firing out as projectiles as I used them up.

So pretty much, any spell I can get creative with (most often in a way that doesn't really affect the game), I can have fun with, which makes Prestidigitation a Swiss army knife of character developing goodness.
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam ~ I'll either find a way, or I'll make one.
Ons and Offs

OwenNo6

Power Word: Kill

'cause who doesn't want the ability to cause death with a mere utterance

and for those magically inclined pranksters or those who think that humiliation is worse than death, there is the lesser known

Power Word: Fart
My On and Off list

My other on/off list

Let the Priests of the Raven of dawn, no longer in deadly black, with hoarse note curse the sons of joy. Nor his accepted brethren, whom tyrant, he calls free: lay the bound or build the roof. Nor pale religious letchery call that virginity, that wishes but acts not!

For every thing that lives is Holy.

The Overlord

Quote from: OwenNo6 on December 22, 2008, 07:29:45 PM
Power Word: Kill

'cause who doesn't want the ability to cause death with a mere utterance

It's neat yeah, but I never statistically favored the all-or-nothing damage spells. I'd actually favor a high-level casting of Magic Missile. Might kill and it might not, but unless there's specific resistance the sucker definitely is going to land. I've gone with this strategy in many MMO's; chain-nuking with lesser spells that go for quick and dirty damage at less mana per shot. Lets me rain constant DPS on a target until it drops.

Quote from: OwenNo6 on December 22, 2008, 07:29:45 PM

and for those magically inclined pranksters or those who think that humiliation is worse than death, there is the lesser known

Power Word: Fart

I don't recall that one in the official rules, perhaps it's from the same rules as the Sword of Underwear Snatching?  :P

magnamos

It clearly is Evard's Black Tentacle. It's the most versatile Spell imaginable ;D

RubySlippers

DnD: Low Level MAGIC MISSLE (nice damage and never miss), Mid Level GEAS (best way to get payback on some scum not worth killing like make a decent looking guy do tricks at a gay brothel for a few months or have some woman have to spread them each day for one begger for a few months) and High Level GATE (come on summoning a big monster for some tribute or a gate to just freaking run to some good plane if the big monster is after you is always nice).

Diablo 2: Raise Skeleton (staple Necro spell and having a hoard of these guys with lots of ranks in key support skills is awesome just sit back and let your hoard to the work plus can protec the sorceresses in more advanced games so still are useful)

Yugioh: So many but if I had to pick one I would say the simple and elegant Lightning Vortex, drop one extra card from your hand and obliterate your opponents side of the field of monsters. And its not likely to ever be banned.

Magic the Gathering: Pacifism (cheap to play, locks up opponents creature)

ZByte

Ah!  I forgot Yu-gi-oh!

My favorite spell... I have two.  Before the dreadful banlist, my buddy was Raigeki.  I was lucky enough to pull that shiny thing out with the first packs I bought with my Kaiba starter, and needless to stay he stuck with me.  Drop it and kill all monsters on your opponent's field without a cost?  Nowadays, it's completely broken.  Back then, it was just fun.

Now, though, it is Book of Moon.  My deck is stacked with anti-defense cards: Nobleman of Crossout, Shield Crush, Mystic Swordsman, the works.  When someone decides they want to attack, or if they have an annoying monster on the field, I drop this, then follow it up with something that just blows through them.

Glee!
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam ~ I'll either find a way, or I'll make one.
Ons and Offs

Liliana

Teleport without error, I want it in real life

Wish is also fun for comedic value

Oniya

Wish's 'fun' level can be mitigated by the GM's sadism level.   ;D

Cherri Tart

dry spell!  *shakes fist at sky* really, i'm buidling an f'ing ark!  and no, i don't know what book it's in or what system! *wanders off muttering*
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored