News:

Main Menu

Arma 2 Dayz Mod

Started by Eidos, June 28, 2012, 05:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eidos

I'm new to the forum but I figured I see if anyone is playing the Arma 2 Dayz mod.  I've found it to be the best zombie game, in my opinion =P, that I have ever played.  The thing that makes it different is that it's not a shooter.  The point is to survive, you start with nothing and you need to find food, drink, bandages, painkillers, weapons, and not to mention watch out for other players.  It's a hard game to play without people you can trust.  You never know who might kill you for your nice shiny weapon =P

Shjade

I heard about this and thought it sounded interesting...except for the multiplayer thing.

I mean, sure, that's interesting too, but...I don't turn on PvP in my RPGs for a reason. People tend to be dicks. :|

It's probably a game I'd explore solo, though. If I owned Arma 2, that is.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Brandon

I have been playing it quite a bit. Ive got a squad of 8 people now (not including me) and we play on a server one of them owns. Our squad has collected a few ATVs and a truck to store our gear. Now were just looking for a rotor assembly and a helicopter to rebuild.

I think the major issue with the mod is the whole PVP thing. My group goes out of its way to hunt down bandit groups but if it weren't for a group like ours I imagine it would quickly turn into shoot first never ask questions. The mod really needs more tools to encourage teamwork but it also needs ways to curtail bandit behavior like bounties

That aside the mod has quite a few other problems still but to be fair it did just enter the beta stage. Problems like zombies hitting you through walls, flashlights going through walls, and constant desynconizing in the servers are still pretty common.

Overall its not for everyone but its definately a fun game that needs a bit of improvement

Also if you want to play it solo there is a mod to the mod that allows for single player mode
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Shjade

Quote from: Brandon on June 28, 2012, 10:34:20 PM
Also if you want to play it solo there is a mod to the mod that allows for single player mode

Now you're speaking my language. :D

'Course I'd still have to buy Arma 2. ;p
◕/◕'s

Brandon

Quote from: Shjade on June 29, 2012, 10:49:14 AM
Now you're speaking my language. :D

'Course I'd still have to buy Arma 2. ;p

If you go to the website you can get a no DRM version of the game. You need ARMA 2 and its expansion pack Operation arrowhead but last I looked they had both for sale for just $15. If thats still the case its a pretty cheap game to get

Although I think I would have just preffered a mod to disable the PVP portion, even if it was a server setting
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

SinXAzgard21

Hmm this looks fun and I have the cash this month but I'm not sure about it.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Nazz

I'm interested in at least buying Arma2 but I'm unsure my poor little Dell Inspiron can handle it or the mod. I'd be up for trying DayZ and buying the game if I ever end up trying the free multiplayer part, because the fact that you only live once in these massive scenarios makes everything all the more intense!
- - - - - - -
- - - - - - Ons 'n Offs - - - - - -
- - - Nazz's Storyboard (Requests) - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(( Currently back in college. Stuff's gonna be a lot slower from me! ))

SinXAzgard21

Well I started playing Dayz and must say I'm sorta not impressed.  The arma games are fun, but dayz isn't impressing me.  Considering that zombies spawn near loot drops, you don't start off with any form of weapon and not all loot piles have a weapon you pretty much are just running from zombies till you can find a hill otherwise you run for 10-20 minutes or even longer.

Brandon

The best advice I can give to start out is try to be as stealthy as possible when you go into a town. My plan when I first spawn is find a barn and crawl inside. Barn's usually have a primary weapon of some kind (most often the winchester rifle or le enfield rifle) but they can also hold food/drinks and tools.

A good place to look for pistols or packs is in the outhouses. I find quite a few pistols in them and Ive found an Alice pack a few times as well (although they are considerably rarer).

Another good place to find weapons is churches but they are often camped out with bandit groups so be wary. Finally you should keep an eye out for military tents as well because you can find many of the early automatic weapons there like M16's and AK-74u's. They will also occasionally have better pistols like the M1911 or upgraded sniper rifles like the CZ 550

Above all, when you move in to investigate an area be sure to be as stealthy as possible. There's no shame in crawling 100 feet to your objective if it means you survive. If you're running around everywhere then your asking for zombies to eat your face or a skilled sniper to pick you off and take your stuff

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Brandon on July 03, 2012, 01:50:58 AM
The best advice I can give to start out is try to be as stealthy as possible when you go into a town. My plan when I first spawn is find a barn and crawl inside. Barn's usually have a primary weapon of some kind (most often the winchester rifle or le enfield rifle) but they can also hold food/drinks and tools.

A good place to look for pistols or packs is in the outhouses. I find quite a few pistols in them and Ive found an Alice pack a few times as well (although they are considerably rarer).

Another good place to find weapons is churches but they are often camped out with bandit groups so be wary. Finally you should keep an eye out for military tents as well because you can find many of the early automatic weapons there like M16's and AK-74u's. They will also occasionally have better pistols like the M1911 or upgraded sniper rifles like the CZ 550

Above all, when you move in to investigate an area be sure to be as stealthy as possible. There's no shame in crawling 100 feet to your objective if it means you survive. If you're running around everywhere then your asking for zombies to eat your face or a skilled sniper to pick you off and take your stuff

Do all that, zombies still find me.  Or I spawn on the other side of the map and by the time I make it to town there are zombies around every corner.

Brandon

hmmm I guess I dont understand how theyre finding you. Could you explain how you approach a town or settlement to loot? Maybe I can give further insight then.

SinXAzgard21

I don't run anywhere, I crouch and make sure to check my surroundings and drop to the floor if i really need to look around.  I try and go around any zeds that I see on the outskirts of a town or what not and get around them only to be found by some random as wandering one.  And I'm not even kidding, the fucker will randomly start making noise behind a wall in front of me and then I have to book it cuz they can see through walls and or attack you through them as well.  It also doesn't help when they can cripple you as you are vaulting over a damn fence to get away since they can sprint.  I've tried finding a electro but always go the wrong way, I found a factory and got mauled after finding food, water and a tool box... And I don't even know how they found me.  both sound and vision meters where at nil.  I've watched vids where people have found guns in like two minutes of playing... Well good on them cuz I get shafted with cans.  I've had around 10 characters and no guns or a weapon at all. 

EDIT:  The last character I played I left game with him atop of a lighthouse.

Shjade

Oh, they're more 28 Days Later-style zombies than "classic" ones, then? Bleh.
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Shjade on July 03, 2012, 12:04:54 PM
Oh, they're more 28 Days Later-style zombies than "classic" ones, then? Bleh.

Yeah, they hall ass, have great hearing and are supposed not not have good sight but that is crap as well.  I mean really, if they are face first on a wall they can see you and hit you if you are near it.  I know it is alpha testing and all but there has to be a limit on this shit.

Shjade

Meh. I have L4D for fast zombie action. I had hopes this was more of a slow-paced survival type thing where it was more about conservation and the long haul than "grab what you can and run like hell." Ah well.
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Shjade on July 03, 2012, 12:53:27 PM
Meh. I have L4D for fast zombie action. I had hopes this was more of a slow-paced survival type thing where it was more about conservation and the long haul than "grab what you can and run like hell." Ah well.

Oh it is about surviving.  Once you die you have to start all over plain and simple.  You want to avoid everything unless you are in voice chat with friends.  You don't wanna sit in cities too long unless you want a pretty sniper bullet in your head and you never wanna fire your gun unless you have too as other players can hear the shots.  If I could ever get effing gear I'd only have to worry about the players after you get into the forests.   Oh and you have to have water and food or you'll die.

Shjade

Yeah, but that's more panic-mode survival than world-grinding-to-a-halt survival.
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Well no need to help me anymore I am uninstalling it.  I'm sorry but not being able to ditch zombies is retarded.  I had the same zombies chasing me for 15 minutes and then said screw it.   This game would be soooo much better if the mechanics where not so fucking retarded.

sirtree

I am considering getting arma 2 to get this.