Legalize it NOW!

Started by Kane Gunlock, February 23, 2010, 05:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auroraChloe

Quote from: Will on February 27, 2010, 12:41:47 PM
I go through the same thing with coffee now; I would have to drink several cups to actually get jounced and jumpy on the stuff.  Sometimes I drink a cup to help me go to bed.  Caffeine is definitely a stimulant, right?  But in normal doses all it does is calm my nerves and ease my brain. 

i am pretty sure nicotine and caffeine are physically addictive.  where are pot is not (though it is psychologically addictive) 

a/a 8/21/17

Trieste

Ahm.

Do you think something psychologically addictive is any less dangerous than something physically addictive? :)

auroraChloe

Quote from: Trieste on February 27, 2010, 01:36:31 PM
Ahm.

Do you think something psychologically addictive is any less dangerous than something physically addictive? :)

well there's a difference between a physical need and it being 'all in your head'.   :P
and danger itself is addictive for that matter. 

a whole mess of stuff is addictive...  exercise even (endorphin rush, anyone?)  thrill seeking is addictive (cliff jumping, etc etc...) 
there aren't laws against rock climbing and skydiving... 

(i know i've gone off on a bit of a tangent... and i'm not even stoned.   ha!)

a/a 8/21/17

Pumpkin Seeds

Quick point, while the two addictions may come about differently on a person there isn't much of a difference in the affects on that individual in terms of addictive behaviors, difficult in quitting the behavior and its affect on a person's life.

Will

There actually are some differences between physically and psychologically addictive substances.  Trying to quit weed is not in the least comparable to quitting cocaine, opiates, and even alcohol.  Cold sweats, terrible nausea, the list goes on... It's physically painful, to varying degrees.  Quitting weed is only difficult because of all the empty space it tends to leave in one's life.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

auroraChloe

Quote from: Will on February 27, 2010, 02:11:31 PM
Quitting weed is only difficult because of all the empty space it tends to leave in one's life.

... a missing the smoke induced epiphanies.   

a/a 8/21/17

Will

Epiphanies is a strong word. >.>

- Jack Kerouac

Senti

I do agree with the point about addiction, that anything can be, whether it be mental or physical it’s still an addiction. I mean how many here are ‘addicted’ to E. For example how many folks might take a sick day…be late for work or miss a class because they want to finish a post or chat on the SB. How many folk miss sleep?  Same goes for games like WOW and the like. How many cant function without a cup of coffee and make a joke of it? Addiction is addiction. However we all make choices in our lives and when we are adult we need to make our own choices and deal with the consequences.

However that was not my only point, I am not sure just how it works in the US but I am aware it’s highly unlikely that most sensible smokers will find any trouble if they are caught with cannabis. A caution maybe and having ones weed taken from you.

Sometimes I think the whole legalisation is a moot point I mean if one is creating enough noise/trouble to bring the police around then one should expect the trouble, whether one is smoking or not. A quiet and social smoke is hardly going to attract attention. Personally I don’t like to see folks drunk or drinking in the street( drinking in the street is illegal in many town centers now and I agree with that) as much as I don’t like to watch people smoking in the street.

In my opinion I have no issue with cannabis being legalised but certainly in the UK I can’t see it making that much difference in the scheme of things. However if it is I might suggest that there comes with it, a responsibility of the user, the same as I would suggest for other ‘legal drugs…’ Again I will say it’s about maturity and education.

(Sorry if I went off point)

Will

The trouble one can find for having/selling weed in America is dependent on where one lives.  Some places I know of do just take your stuff and ticket you, but around here, you go to jail.  You have to pay court costs, fines, and any number of other things.  So yeah, it does get kind of severe.

- Jack Kerouac

Scribbles

Quote from: Senti on February 28, 2010, 04:54:06 AM
I do agree with the point about addiction, that anything can be, whether it be mental or physical it’s still an addiction. I mean how many here are ‘addicted’ to E. For example how many folks might take a sick day…be late for work or miss a class because they want to finish a post or chat on the SB.

Don't you judge me! I can stop whenever I want!

>_>

<_<

I mean... don't be silly.  ;)

Quote from: Will on February 28, 2010, 01:17:21 PM
The trouble one can find for having/selling weed in America is dependent on where one lives.  Some places I know of do just take your stuff and ticket you, but around here, you go to jail.  You have to pay court costs, fines, and any number of other things.  So yeah, it does get kind of severe.

Some of the places I know they simply "confiscated" it... No ticket, court papers, or anything.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Will

Still, I bet the penalties for distributing are much more severe.

- Jack Kerouac

Scribbles

Quote from: Will on February 28, 2010, 01:26:07 PM
Still, I bet the penalties for distributing are much more severe.

True, although it's still pretty annoying for the cops to catch distributors and actually enact those penalties. Beside the miles of red tape to cut through they also have to deal with scum that know more about slipping past the law and utilizing legal loopholes than they should. Of course, the places I have in mind are pretty horrible. Things are likely a lot more stable in America and the police are probably that much more efficient too. I bet restricting weed is still hitting the taxpayer hard however.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Muninn

I'm very curious about hemp-based food products.  I hear it is pretty nutritional and supposed to taste pretty nom.

auroraChloe

Quote from: Muninn on March 06, 2010, 12:34:24 AM
I'm very curious about hemp-based food products.  I hear it is pretty nutritional and supposed to taste pretty nom. 

i don't know about food specifically, but hemp is like a miracle plant.  anything can be made with it - paper, clothes, cars! (j/k about the cars)  it is cheap and easily grown, so why is it illegal (hemp is NOT the same as marijuana) legal hemp would cut into some serious profit for cotton and what ever the hell else can be made with it.  i am telling you, it always comes down to profit margin. 

a/a 8/21/17

Kotah

About addiction: It takes 4 days (approx  90-100 hours) for your body to get over an addiction.  It can take weeks to get over a psychological addiction.
Finally in a rage we scream at the top of our lungs into this lonely night, begging and pleading they stop sucking up dry.There as guilty as sin, still as they always do when faced with an angry mob: they wipe the blood from their mouths and calm us down with their words of milk and honey. So the play begins, we the once angry mob are now pacified and sit quietly entertained. But the curtain exists far from now becasue their lies have been spoken. My dear, have you forgotten what comes next? This is the part where we change the world.

auroraChloe

Quote from: Kotah on March 06, 2010, 01:03:30 AM
About addiction: It takes 4 days (approx  90-100 hours) for your body to get over an addiction.  It can take weeks to get over a psychological addiction.

ask an addict if they ever 'get over it'

a/a 8/21/17

Oniya

Quote from: auroraChloe on March 06, 2010, 12:47:31 AM
i don't know about food specifically, but hemp is like a miracle plant.  anything can be made with it - paper, clothes, cars! (j/k about the cars)  it is cheap and easily grown, so why is it illegal (hemp is NOT the same as marijuana) legal hemp would cut into some serious profit for cotton and what ever the hell else can be made with it.  i am telling you, it always comes down to profit margin.

One thing I've heard is that the big Southern plantation-holders were the ones that really pushed the lobby to ban hemp.  Prior to the establishment of cotton as a cash crop, hemp was actually used in many of the ways you describe (hemp rope was fairly common, in fact.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

mannik

Quote from: auroraChloe on March 06, 2010, 12:47:31 AM

Actually, yes, cars can be made from hemp. In fact, the FIRST car was made from hemp.....

History of Weed

auroraChloe

Quote from: mannik on March 06, 2010, 01:29:21 PM

Actually, yes, cars can be made from hemp. In fact, the FIRST car was made from hemp.....
  ]History of Weed[

thanks! 

a/a 8/21/17

Will

And, of course, there's the van from Up In Smoke.

- Jack Kerouac

mannik

"You going to finish that hot dog?"

Kane Gunlock

I love weed it never lies to me ,never tells me to kill my self, never steal's from me ,just says sit there and be happy

mannik

Found an interesting news report I though you all would enjoy.

Kid Uses Marijuana To Save His Life

also, more on building cars and buildings with hemp...

Uses for Hemp

TheVillain

Don't know if it's been said before, but in the US the only real reason the Weed is Illegal and Alcohol isn't is that Hemp is a much more flexible substance.

Seriously, in the 30's a billionaire named William Randolph Hearst sank a large amount of his money into Wood Pulp Paper, then discovered that Hemp-based Paper was just as durable, just as flexible, and cost about a third of what Wood Pulp did to process. So he called some buddies in the Senate.

Really, that's the only reason Weed is Illegal while Beer isn't.

(And in WRH's defense, he was also the one of the strongest anti-Nazi businessmen in America at the time- and the first to have the balls to show what exactly was happening to people during the Holocaust in the newspapers he owned.)

(Does it count as Godwin's Law when it's against your own position?)
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Kane Gunlock

good god is that fucked up in soooooooo many ways will that's in the past and even if it was a crooked thing to do we should that should still be a prime example for why it should be legalized