U.S. Postal Rate increase

Started by Hunter, April 08, 2008, 03:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

Yup, it's going to cost even more now to mail those pesky bills out.

First-Class Mail letter (1 oz.)  $0.42 

First-Class Mail letter (2 oz.)  $0.59 

Postcard  $0.27 

First-Class Mail large envelope (2 oz.)  $1.00 

Certified Mail  $2.70 

First-Class Mail International to Canada and Mexico (1 oz.)  $0.72 

First-Class Mail International to all other countries (1 oz.)  $0.94 

http://www.usps.com/prices/

Jefepato

You know, I don't mind the increased prices, but goddamn I hate having to go buy new stamps.

Maeven

!!!

I literally just finished a book of 37 cent stamps that I had to go out and buy 4 cent stamps for!

What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

RubySlippers

I have a simple point to make its 42 cents to mail a letter anywhere in the United States and it most of the time in a timely manner gets there. Would the UPS or other carriers allow you to mail a letter for 42 cents?

And whats with the stamps I get mine from a machine and get extra low value stamps all the time I save them and use those when postage goes up.

I may poo poo the Feds on alot of things but hell they did at least this right.

Maeven

In point of fact, there is a federal act that prohibits private mail carriers from delivering mail at the same or even twice the rate of the USPS so as to ensure that citizens still use government mail carriers.  I'm too lazy to look it up right now but there is one.  I only know this because I did a presentation on communication over the years - I also learned that the fax machine was invented in like 1830 and I couldn't believe it!

But, my gripe isn't really with the price, its the inconvenience of having 5 books of stamps to keep up with all with different values.  I do agree with you that 42 cents isn't really that much to deliver a letter.   :)  Now, if I had just bought a couple hundred of those "forever" stamps I'd be happy. 

btw: i used to live in pinellas county, loved it... till they demolished my favorite restaurant, whiskey joes on the causeway... *cry*

The Cardinal Rule

RubySlippers

Well then I would repeal those laws and let the private carriers compete but I think for common mail and junk mail that would still prove unlikely.

Cherri Tart

it's all about online payments! :D
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Maeven

Online payments?

Do tell...

I feel like I'm missing out already!   

The Cardinal Rule

OldSchoolGamer

I'm old enough to remember the talk of a "paperless society."

What a pipe dream that turned out to be.  Seems like all I get is more and more paper...even though I selected "online" for everything I can.  Still the paper piles up.