A Sci-Fi Adventure! (Interest Check)

Started by MagicalPen, January 06, 2015, 08:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

I've been on a sci-fi kick lately, I have read maybe 6 books in the last week or so, all Sci-Fi based. Various levels of technology and alien life forms, so I've decided to put some feelers out and see who might be interested in a 'first contact/survival' sort of setting?

I am thinking its a deep-space exploration ship. So this is what I've got so far.

Scout Ships and Exploration Ships are perhaps some of the most dangerous ships to be stationed on, no matter who you are. They travel into deep-space, exploring new systems, searching for signs of life. Their deployments, as such, can last for several years, which means it'll be another several years before anyone realizes you are over-due. And not all of the ships that set out do make it back. There are a lot of things that could go wrong. Jump-Drives can destabilize, a meteor shower can strike...and countless other things can go wrong. But who doesn't want to be the person to find that new, colonizable planet? Or better yet, who doesn't want to be the person that finds the first Alien life?

Despite the odds, no alien life forms have been discovered yet as the fledgling humans start to venture into space. Billions of dollars have been poured into space exploration and colonies, though they have yet to find a truly earth-like planet. They have found other creatures - similar to earth creatures - in a few places, but no sentient life forms like everyone has been expecting. But that could change at any moment, literally.

The United States is at the forefront of space exploration and technology. China is a close second, with Russia, the UK, the EU and even India all runners up in the Space-Race. Earth has been declared a 'safe-zone' - all conflicts are resolved in space. No one wants to be responsible for wiping out the Human Race on Earth. A combined Earth-Defense-Force is responsible for maintaining the peace around Earth.

The USS Nautilus is a deep-space exploration ship, traveling further then any other ship ever has in hopes of finding life.

This is the ship we will be a part of. I want the key crew-member roles filled before expanding the selection.

The Crew:
The CO - Open
The XO - Open
Comms + Navigation Officer - Open
Tactical + Weapons Officer - Open
The CO of the Marines - MagicalPen
Chief Scientist and Xenobiologist - Open
Chief Medical Officer - Open
Chief Engineer - Open
PR Officer and Media Representative - Open
Rest of Crew

If you're interested, please state so in this thread. If enough people are interested, I will start posting more information relative to Character Creation.

IMPORTANT - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221097.0 - OOC Thread and More Information. DO NOT POST in that thread!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Lustful Bride

Hmm...im going to put in a "Maybe"

Also no fighter ships?  :P  for shame good sir. X3

Batman4560

Also placing a Maybe, I would like to see how things pan out a bit more here.

Nymphadora

Interested in the scientist if this happens.
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

MagicalPen

Its a Space Exploration ship - not a Carrier!

There will be a few shuttles, some armed with ordinance, but no true fighter ships - those are reserved for the colonies, to suppress riots and for when the colonies go to war. No aliens, so why bring fighters to the far reaches of the Universe? :)

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Lustful Bride

Quote from: MagicalPen on January 06, 2015, 09:14:46 PM
Its a Space Exploration ship - not a Carrier!

There will be a few shuttles, some armed with ordinance, but no true fighter ships - those are reserved for the colonies, to suppress riots and for when the colonies go to war. No aliens, so why bring fighters to the far reaches of the Universe? :)

For Pirate encounters and I thought up that maybe they can be justified as ships that are sent out to help deal with meteors in the way, hit it in strategic spots and get it to crack open, send drones to mine it for more resources for the ship.  ::)

Also since its a colony ship/explorer, it wouldn't be a full fleet, just a small group between 3 to 6 fighters.

Batman4560

I'd be interested in playing the Weapons officer.

MagicalPen

No room for fighters on board.

Life in space is hard. It takes years of terrforming for a planet to become remotely habitable. Mining colonies, on Asteroids, are much more prevalent and its still too costly for their to be Space Pirates around. The only people capable of fabricating space craft are the Ship Yards owned by the various Militaries. Space travel is heavily regulated (and dangerous). The 'commercial' spacecraft are shuttles, taking people from Earth to the Moon, or from planet-side-colonies to mining-asteroids etc.

Think of things as still being in their infancy when it comes to Space. Nothing is easy, nothing is cheap, but the Scout/Exploration ships HAVE found rare minerals and resources in the past so often pay for themselves when successful.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Lustful Bride

Quote from: MagicalPen on January 06, 2015, 09:20:49 PM
No room for fighters on board.

Life in space is hard. It takes years of terrforming for a planet to become remotely habitable. Mining colonies, on Asteroids, are much more prevalent and its still too costly for their to be Space Pirates around. The only people capable of fabricating space craft are the Ship Yards owned by the various Militaries. Space travel is heavily regulated (and dangerous). The 'commercial' spacecraft are shuttles, taking people from Earth to the Moon, or from planet-side-colonies to mining-asteroids etc.

Think of things as still being in their infancy when it comes to Space. Nothing is easy, nothing is cheap, but the Scout/Exploration ships HAVE found rare minerals and resources in the past so often pay for themselves when successful.

Okay this makes more sense/clears up things more.  ;D

Hmm, now I have to think up what I want to be...... :-\

Lustful Bride

hmmm, im between either the PR officer or asking if maybe I can take on the role of engineer? 

also a question: Do androids exist/ are common in this time?

MagicalPen

The one role I forgot! Chief Engineer added to the list.

Like I said, this is simply an interest check at this point. If more people are interested, then I'll go into more details and back-history.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Lustful Bride

Quote from: MagicalPen on January 06, 2015, 09:33:33 PM
The one role I forgot! Chief Engineer added to the list.

Like I said, this is simply an interest check at this point. If more people are interested, then I'll go into more details and back-history.

Thinking about it, im really leaning towards PR officer/Media representative.

TheGlyphstone

Besides, fighters are passe if you really need to kill something. Remote armed drones are smaller, cheaper to replace, capable of higher performance, and more mass-efficient in their payload (which is really important when you have to pay for every ounce you haul up a gravity well, then cart it around the galaxy with you).

I'm always up for squishy sci-fi, but what will the tone of the game be? Star Trek action-adventure? Aliens horror? Irresponsible Captain Taylor comedy? How much time you expect/plan to spend in the role of GM keeping the game going, against playing 'your' character?

MagicalPen

Yes. Drones are going to be a key part to this tech-level. Just look at our present-day tech when it comes to drones. It only makes sense to have them. I will go into more details about them later.

I am letting one book heavily influence me as far the tech goes at this stage. So its not really any of the 'mainstream' sci-fi techs-levels. I quite like the Mass-Effect style Armor. There won't be any mech-suits or anything, but smart battle armor, holo-displays, etc.

Look up 'Ark Royal' by Christopher Nuttall. Thats where I am getting a lot of the tech-influence from.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Lustful Bride

Quote from: MagicalPen on January 06, 2015, 09:51:30 PM
Yes. Drones are going to be a key part to this tech-level. Just look at our present-day tech when it comes to drones. It only makes sense to have them. I will go into more details about them later.

I am letting one book heavily influence me as far the tech goes at this stage. So its not really any of the 'mainstream' sci-fi techs-levels. I quite like the Mass-Effect style Armor. There won't be any mech-suits or anything, but smart battle armor, holo-displays, etc.

Look up 'Ark Royal' by Christopher Nuttall. Thats where I am getting a lot of the tech-influence from.

What about Exo suits? Like form say Elysium or Edge of Tomorrow.

Also if I do go with the PR/Media representative, im not gonna end up like this guy right?  ::)

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

MagicalPen

So looks like 4 people (excluding me) are interested so far.

I think I will let this stew over night and through the work day tomorrow and see where we're at as far as interest goes in the next 24hrs.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

TheGlyphstone

Oh good, I have new reading material. Been needing some for a while.

MagicalPen

I think there are at least 4 books to that series. I'll probably start the 2nd one tomorrow at work if its slow again (read the first one today at work).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

ragarth

This has my interest. I like the deep space, alone in the dark feel you want to pull and I really enjoy drones. :-)

I'm considering an engineer position, though I've never played a *head* engineer before... if I were to do that I'd have to brush up on my scotty!

So tech wise, we've got FTL technology that takes several years to get from point A to B. We have drones, and our compliment of small craft are capable of going from earth surface to lunar orbit.

How large is the Nautilus? How big is her total crew compliment? Are the drones capable of entering an atmosphere and coming back out?

What's the tech base of the weaponry? Lasers, plasma, rail guns?

I guess in general what I'm after is a nice breakdown of what kind of technology you envision this world having.

TheGlyphstone

So I'm curious. If the round-trip takes years and no one will realize something goes wrong until you are overdue, that indicates the lack of any FTL communication. So why, exactly, is a PR/Media liaison sent along with the main crew, if they can't do any actual liaising during the voyage?

Uebelator

Hey, this sounds like fun. Id be interested in playing the Scientist/Xenobiologist or the Chief Medical Officer.

Ontan

I'd certainly be interested in either the CO or XO roles.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 07, 2015, 12:40:15 AM
So I'm curious. If the round-trip takes years and no one will realize something goes wrong until you are overdue, that indicates the lack of any FTL communication. So why, exactly, is a PR/Media liaison sent along with the main crew, if they can't do any actual liaising during the voyage?

I thought that it meant running the shipwide news/ helping to keep morale up.

AngelicBlade

I'm definitely interested in this, I love Sci-Fi stuff and if I could I'd like to be some kind of Engineer or Guard, or maybe both. I'unno.

Lynnette

I'm interested. the sci-fi genre has never been my thing in media, but it can be fun to play out. I'll take... What is taken and what isn't taken yet? I am a bit uncertain as of now, would you mind updating the list of roles? <3

EDIT: Damn it, I forgot to use my ship-pun.
I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread