[Original D&D] An Age of Ash and Wing - Seeking Players!

Started by Alhanna, May 18, 2016, 06:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alhanna

An Age of Ash and Wing

Welcome! This is an idea I've been toying with for a while and would like to start out small until I get into the flow of things. I'm thinking of six (6) players total for now—not counting me.

It's an original Dungeons & Dragons-type setting. I'd say bordering on low fantasy; magic will be rare, if used at all. Lots of the “monsters” in stories are just that, stories. Dragons, wyverns, unicorns, whatever, are just myths, legends. Look at it as if magic had slowly faded from the world and nowadays heroes of legend are revered or used in place of gods and goddesses in terms of oaths, cusses, etc.

There are, I want to say, four known races. Elves (city, wood), dwarves (mountains, underground), humans (of any appearance), and orcs (city, wood). It is possible for all four to interbreed, though extremely rare. There are no “good” or “evil” races. They all have their faults. Unlike most fantasy settings, the elves are almost the same in human height and size, though more inclined on the slimmer side/smaller-boned side.

As it is in other tales, the humans are the shortest lived and the most intense. Elves do live a long time, but are not immortal. Dwarves also live a considerable while. Same with the orcs. Coloring, appearances, et cetera, are a free-for-all. Have fun coming up with ideas!

So!

If you've made it this far, yay!

Welcome… to my world. A planet with one sun, one moon, many stars and stories behind them. Their legends, stories, myths all have many fantastical creatures that none had seen anymore. Long since discarded to be exaggerations, people often pay no mind to the stories. Told only for fun and song around the fire.

Of course, as it is, there's still not much by way of peace. Bandits, wars, expansions of kingdoms and destructions of cities all happen.

For the most part, I will be trusting players to not godmode or be impossible to fight. I don't like using the dice, though I may, at times, use it for maybe big boss fights. Minor fights, eh, have fun, though when it comes to fights, period, we will be taking turns.

I'd like posting to be at least once a week, minimum. Be detailed in your posts, give me thoughts and feelings, descriptions, as much as you can. I don't want one-liners. I can understand that sometimes all we can do is a sparse paragraph, but try not to make it a frequent occurrence. Excellent grasp of English, grammar, and punctuations, is preferable, but I won't punish anyone for not being a native speaker. (Even I make mistakes and I pride myself on being a fairly decent writer!)

Okay. That's all I can think of! Questions, inquiries, expressions of interest, please, bombard me! :D

The Oath of the Drake

She's real, she's deep, she's logical and mystical. She believes in kindness and oneness and romance. She's sensitive and distant, a warrior, a lover. She believes in road trips to the stars and dancing with the universe. She's fearless and gentle, wondrous and brave. She lives in waterfalls and forests and sunsets and galaxies. She's the artist, the thinker, the poem and the dream. - Creig Crippen

Kolbrandr

Would you be having people make character sheets as a baseline of "I'm capable of X"? Do any worldbuilding along with a character entry?

Basically when you say D&D, how much of the system do you mean (as far as for instance doing an actual grounded in numbers and levels character creation)? OD&D as in.. those original boxed set type deals?

Alhanna

Quote from: Kolbrandr on May 18, 2016, 08:27:49 PM
Would you be having people make character sheets as a baseline of "I'm capable of X"? Do any worldbuilding along with a character entry?

Basically when you say D&D, how much of the system do you mean (as far as for instance doing an actual grounded in numbers and levels character creation)? OD&D as in.. those original boxed set type deals?

I will be drawing up a character sheet when there's enough interest expressed. If there's something special about your character's background that you'd like, ask via PM and I'd be happy to answer.

I will not be using any system rules like 3.5e or whatever, if that's what you mean. I'm not going to bother with attributes, saving rolls, etc, and instead trust the player to keep a balanced character.

Original as in it's an origial story of mine that would resemble something of D&D.

The Oath of the Drake

She's real, she's deep, she's logical and mystical. She believes in kindness and oneness and romance. She's sensitive and distant, a warrior, a lover. She believes in road trips to the stars and dancing with the universe. She's fearless and gentle, wondrous and brave. She lives in waterfalls and forests and sunsets and galaxies. She's the artist, the thinker, the poem and the dream. - Creig Crippen

Kolbrandr

Ah, okay. The words "original D&D" can have a particular meaning amongst rpgers (there's a whole at this point multiple publishers product line/movement type thing that trucks in the idea of a revival of it as a rules for gaming sort of deal, as far as using things based on the original materials that well predate 3.5 and such things), was just briefly wondering/confuzzled.

I've found system based D&D on ell to be a thoroughly and almost uniformly dire experience, but it hasn't quite as nudged me into freeform rp yet. Thanks for the answers though, I hope this otherwise goes well for you.

Diesel Heart

I'll go ahead and place my interest here, most likely to use my character, Ashley Rothschild.

Alhanna

Quote from: WardenIce on May 19, 2016, 07:52:54 AM
I'll go ahead and place my interest here, most likely to use my character, Ashley Rothschild.

Oooh.... I like the look!

The Oath of the Drake

Vonandi

Interested, not sure as what though. 'Might scope it out first and fill whatever need arises.

Alhanna

Quote from: Ithnuul on May 19, 2016, 06:21:18 PM
Interested, not sure as what though. 'Might scope it out first and fill whatever need arises.

No objections. :) Welcome!

The Oath of the Drake

harrymason

Definitely interested, I have lots of experience playing AD&D in real life, so I know what I'm doing too. I can make my own character sheet if you'd like? I'm also more than happy to wait for yours if you want to play it with special stats, abilities etc. I'll look forward to it X
https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=57144
my on's and off's, read em! ;)

Hobbes1266

Quote from: harrymason on May 21, 2016, 05:30:49 AM
Definitely interested, I have lots of experience playing AD&D in real life, so I know what I'm doing too. I can make my own character sheet if you'd like? I'm also more than happy to wait for yours if you want to play it with special stats, abilities etc. I'll look forward to it X
This isn't a ad&d game, it's simply similar to d&d. It is a nonsystem game.

harrymason

Yeah I know, I was just pointing out that I new what I was doing with something complex like AD&D, so I would also be able to play this too
https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=57144
my on's and off's, read em! ;)

Hobbes1266

I would be interested in using the elf pirate I didn't get to use in another game.

National Acrobat

I would be interested as well. Long time player of DnD, Pathfinder, etc.

Since it's low magic, I'd be interested in a wood elven mystic, druid-type, that doesn't necessarily need magic, but might have a few special abilities, like understanding animals, that sort of thing, if that's something that can be managed. Maybe a wise, hedge wizard type.

Good at tracking, knowledgeable about herb, plant and animal lore, that sort of thing.

Alhanna

Whoo! I'm glad to see enough people are interested!

I'll get the character sheet up by this weekend and see what happens! :)

The Oath of the Drake

ThisOneGal

I'm interested. Although, like Ithnuul, I don't really have anything particular in mind, so I'll probably wait and create someone that meshes with the group.

Alhanna

My apologies for the lateness! Here's the character sheet!

I'll be playing an elven archer. :)

Player Name:
Character Name:
Nicknames:
Aliases:
Relationship Status:
Sexual Preference:

Body Type:
Eyes:
Hair:
Skin color:
Race:
Additional Body/Face Features:
Scars/tattoos/birthmarks:
Physical Description:

Personality Description:

Background History:

Skills:

Weaknesses/Strengths:

Face Claim:
Picture:

The Oath of the Drake

Relikai

Alhanna

I haven't heard what folks want to play, except one.

So... I'm the archer, one person was going to do a non-magical druid... the rest are up for grabs!

The Oath of the Drake

Relikai

I can come up with the archetypical Knight, guy in shining armour like a reformed Jaime Lannister (And his faceclaim)

Or a Japanese-themed Battle Maiden who's slowly being corrupted by evil forces.

A Half-Elven Ranger-Rogue if we need another to fulfill that role :p

Alhanna

Quote from: Relikai on June 08, 2016, 07:20:19 PM
I can come up with the archetypical Knight, guy in shining armour like a reformed Jaime Lannister (And his faceclaim)

Or a Japanese-themed Battle Maiden who's slowly being corrupted by evil forces.

A Half-Elven Ranger-Rogue if we need another to fulfill that role :p

I like the knight idea!

The Oath of the Drake

Hobbes1266

Player Name: Hobbes1266
Character Name: Wilifred Whitly
Nicknames: Fred
Aliases: N/A

Relationship Status: Single
Sexual Preference: Homosexual

Height: 5ft 11in
Body Type: Thin, athletic
Eyes: Grey
Hair: Long, black
Skin color: Pale
Race: Elf
Additional Body/Face Features:
Scars/tattoos: Notched right ear, cut scar on right cheek, puncture scar on stomach, mermaid outline on right ass cheek.
Physical Description: Fred is a tall slim elven woman with youthful features.

Personality Description: Fred is cocky and confident, if slightly arrogant and selfish. Fred could be described as loyal to those she cares about, but a more accurate term would likely be possessive.

Background History: Fred was born in the salty womb of the sea, quite literally, except for the womb part... Fred was born to the wife of an elven captain of the notorious pirate catching vessel An ada. On the day of her birth, Freds fathers ship was ambushed by a fleet of human pirates, sinking it to the bottom of the ocean. The captain of one of the ships saw Fred floating in the water moments from drowning, ordering that she be brought aboard, raising Fred as her own. Fred happily grew to be a successful member of the crew, becoming the captain of the ship once her adopted mother retired. The crew quickly began to realize that with an elf as the captain, none of them would live long enough for her to retire, meaning there was no hope of moving up in rank, so after a short mutiny they abandoned Fred on an island.

Skills: Swimming, sailing, mopping, brawling, gambling, cheating, swordplay, flintlock use.

Weaknesses/Strengths: Fred is fast and elegant on her feet but not the strongest.

Picture:

Relikai

Work in Progress!

Player Name: Relikai
Character Name: Klaudius EnGartho
Nicknames: Klaudo
Aliases: The Blade

Relationship Status: Single
Sexual Preference: Straight

Height: 185cm
Body Type: O+
Eyes: Black
Hair: Sandy Yellow
Skin color: Tanned
Race: Human
Additional Body/Face Features: None
Scars/tattoos/birthmarks: A cut below his left collarbone
Physical Description: Bulky, tall, representing some of the fittest and strongest men in the region.

Personality Description: Perverted, lustful, Chaotic sense of justice, Often Arbitrary.

Background History:

Skills:

Weaknesses/Strengths:

Face Claim:
Picture:

Jett Void

I'm interested in the idea. Although I fear it may be too vague to keep running. It looks like you have 6 or 7 with their posted interest. Are you still seeking?
My On's and Off's, for those of you that are interested. Ta-Dah!

Check out Serperior's Trove He has given me a few of my avatars.

My Request Thread.

This. Another wonderful place to find awesome avatars. If you like wicked, check it out.

Alhanna

Quote from: Jett Void on June 09, 2016, 01:53:40 AM
I'm interested in the idea. Although I fear it may be too vague to keep running. It looks like you have 6 or 7 with their posted interest. Are you still seeking?

It's vagueish to start, but I do plan on fine-tuning as we go.

While some have posted interest, I'm waiting to see if they're still game. :) Two have responded. Would you like to be wait-listed and if it turns out some changed their minds, you can be in.

The Oath of the Drake

National Acrobat