Hyperlink help

Started by despickable, July 26, 2015, 09:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

despickable

I have been here a long time and never had any issue with linking hyperlinks to posts like you tube clips etc. But it seems to have changed first i don't get to see the clip in the post just a link address and now when attempting to link a clip from Youtube when i clicked on it it says server not found. it worked on my computer fine but it isn't' working when I click through the post. Can OI get some feedback on this as I might be doing something wrong here or has there been a change to the site that disallows some clips

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs

Oniya

I found the post where your links didn't work (stumbled on it by accident, actually) and did a 'quote' to see where the problem is.

When pasting in a link to a video that you want to embed, you do not need to put tags around it.  The forum software will auto-detect it.

The first link in your post was framed with FTP tags - this is a tag that prompts the viewing computer to try to download (which the link isn't properly configured for).  Hence, 'server not found'.

The second link was framed with URL tags, which will properly send people to the video, but will not embed (a useful trick if the video contains minors, or if you simply don't want to embed it.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

despickable

Thanks  I don't know why things were different than before it seemed you could just paste it in Now a separate box comes up asking me to paste in the address. I haven't seen that before.
I didn't  put any tags on it just pasted it into the box that came up with a HTTP  link on it. Do you use the icon in the messages to put the link to you tube or just drop the link on the page because i remember using the icon before but not seeing the other box come in to put in the tag. I am sounding a bit confused as I'm not techno savvy

The link issues are in the hat cheers me up post

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Oniya

All I have ever had to do to embed a YouTube link is to copy the address of the video from the top of my browser and then paste that directly into the post window.  No special button clicking.  It sounds as if you might have turned on the 'Toggle View' button (the blue arrow in the red brackets above the post window), as that would cause the 'enter address' window to appear.  Under that setup, the formatting tags are hidden from you and the text appears as it will look when posted.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

despickable

that is easier than it used to be it works you are a wonder thanks so much for the help

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page