News:

Main Menu

Writing something.

Started by Thesunmaid, July 22, 2013, 12:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thesunmaid

I recently lost my best friend...he was a wonderful man and a fucking phenomenal Rp partner..we had a lot of RP's involving our characters and recently I have been thinking about writing the stories we have built. We actually started Rp'ing in a room owned by a pair of friends...and from there the game grew. The setting was our two characters who were dragons who could take a human form met. He was an angry violent bastard. Angry because of the misfortunes befalling him. Being banished from his homeland and being sent to hell..my character was a dragon who had been raised by humans and had finally buried her last family member. 5 generations of family and decided it was time to move onto on.

The game we created together was called winter haven. They had ups and downs as well as we created an entire world out of the thing that simply started one day when he introduced me to online role play.

What I was wondering...would it be wrong of me to use his character in this story? I mean...we talked a lot...we role played for over 4 years and although his character was not mine...and i am not sure if i would do him the justice he deserves..Is it wrong that I want to put his character into my story.

I have other role plays with him i would love to do same with...he inspired me a lot to create and try new things..I tend to write long and involved back rounds with characters...I just don't want to disrespect his memory. I dunno I guess this is just me feeling scared and tired and sad.I am speaking at his memorial in less than 12 hours. But..I would like anyones thoughts..Please?
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: Caught up (holy shit) Current Status for RP:looking for a few

Oniya

I've lost friends.  I've lost friends I've gamed with.  There are many memories that I have of those games, and their characters, and every time I tell those stories to someone, I feel like I've shared a little bit of the light those dear departed have given me.  I don't know that I could pull off using their character as a 'main' character, but perhaps I could manage to swing bringing that character in as someone that the main characters encounter. 

Of course, you may find that character takes on a life of its own, once you drop it into your story.  If so, take it as a 'vote of approval'.  I know I would.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Shjade

Quote from: Oniya on July 22, 2013, 12:32:39 AM
I don't know that I could pull off using their character as a 'main' character, but perhaps I could manage to swing bringing that character in as someone that the main characters encounter. 

Even if I were planning to bring in someone else's character as a driving force at some point, I think starting with a cameo appearance like this is probably a good idea, if for no other reason than to see how you feel about trying to animate someone else's creation. It might turn out to feel really awkward, or just not suit your style, or it might go really well and encourage something more than a cameo next time. Testing the waters is a good thing.

As for the question of respect? Without knowing the person in question, I really can't say. You'd know more about how he'd feel than I would. :|
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

alextaylor

I'd say give it a few months. You can lie down and think about it. Recent deaths are the worst time to be thinking about such a thing, because your emotions and thoughts will be all over the place. Most people need at least a week to think straight again especially with someone important in our lives, some people take months to get stable again.
O/O

Beguile's Mistress

*hugs Combi*

It's a lovely idea and a fitting memorial to your friend.  As others have said My advice is to take it slowly.  Process your grief and get adjusted to the idea of doing this.  When you decide I'd love to know so I can follow along.