News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

So, how large is it?

Started by Lilias, December 26, 2012, 05:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laa

20K, apparently. I didn't know my vocabulary was that limited, lol. I'm a wannabe writer, too. :c

MrAlanNH

33, 900

Learned that not being able to see words in context definitely revealed how much I rely on the context to 'know' the definition of words.
Seeing them by themselves, there were words I recognized but couldn't come up with a definition without the context.

Although, I had to leave most of that last column unchecked because I had no clue whatsoever.  My years and years of reading role-playing books and fantasy fiction let me down with these obscure words!

MrAlanNH

Quote from: Nico on October 15, 2020, 02:28:51 PM
After about two years I got curious and made the test again.

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
words

Noice!

Wait...is that a word?

TheGlyphstone

I retested and only got 32,700 words, down from 33,700 seven years ago. I guess my mind is going...

Black Howling

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 27, 2020, 02:17:59 PM
I retested and only got 32,700 words, down from 33,700 seven years ago. I guess my mind is going...
I thought I was gonna be in the same boat, but I retested and got 40,200. That's up almost 5,000 from my last result of 35,300. I'm not sure how that happened.

Esmeralgirl

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 25,800 words

I think good enough for a non-native who has never been outside of my country.

yobo

Not too shabby for a non-native speaker, but I wish I knew 800 more words so I could break 20,000... :P

Elgor

non-native, still working on it :)

~~ Be beauty before me, be it above me, below me, be beauty all around me, when I walk ~~

arthenwel

Be careful who you try to burn. You might just find that the other person knows how to play with fire better than you.

On's/Off's- https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=185686.0
A/A's- https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=228170.msg11197359#msg11197359

Maethaneos

26,700. It'd be higher if I checked the boxes of the words I intuitively knew. A few of those I could tell from the root word what it was but yet I'd never actually seen the word before.
Be still my son; you're home.
Oh when did you become so cold?
The blade will keep on descending. All you need is to feel my love.
Search for beauty, find your shore.
Try to save them all, bleed no more.
You have such ocean's within.
In the end I will always love you.

Masked Insanity

39500... though admittedly, I have both the WoD boost (White wolf loved to sprinkle 19/early 20th-century jargon into their books) and the fact that my mind grabs whatever it encounters and doesn't let go of anything. Not always a good thing  ;D

None-native speaker, but had some school classes in English, which certainly didn't hurt. Hitting 12 years old me with "precipitation models" was a tour de force.

Riodragon1989

35,300 words... didn't think my dic
tionary was that massive!

FortunatePilgrim

33, 800. Like someone else said, It was interesting how many words I recognized, but couldn't pull a definition out of my head without context. I KNOW I know what an inveigle is, but I just can't work it out. I was pretty grateful for braggadocio in the final column.

Pilgrim's O/O Thread

“Everything in the world is about sex. Except sex. Sex is about power.”  - Oscar Wilde

PrincessBuggy

28k words. Doesn't surprise me much, I've always had mild learning issues with things like spelling, pronunciation, and word choice. I tend to mistake words for one another as well. Accuracy is not my strong suit as a writer, and I'm not trying to go professional anyways! A working vocabulary is about all I need to have fun.

Thrak

Me, before taking the test: "Pfft, this will be easy. I know ALL the words! I'll ace this and then come here to flex about how erudite I am!"

Me, after the test: "Yo, Mr. White! I can't even pronounce half this shit!"

Anyway, my result: 23,800.

Montagne

My vocabulary is:

I feel like there was a bias towards words you would only hear posh Englishmen say in a Victorian novel, which I'm claiming as innate homefield advantage.

I'd also like to see them include a few fake words and deduct people points if they clicked them  :P

Sekah

I got 40,200 words! Not surprising. I have a pretty big vocabulary, given I regularly read historical documents and literature, being myself. XD This was fun!
LOOKING FOR NEW STORIES | FRIENDLY AND OPEN

WRITES: M/M + F/F + F/M (NOT AS F) + NON-BINARY  (AS/AGAINST)

ONS & OFFS | CRAVINGS | CHARACTERS

A/As 12/14/22: Update to Crisis Situation. | wiki | commissions & presents of my characters

Ozolosterna

39,600. Active reader that at least reads news articles and scholarly journals.

debutante

30,300   somewhat the median level.  I can do better...I do look up words that I find in literature, that I dont know.  It helps.

Fun Quiz!!
O/O

Cydaea

22,800, I feel like a dwarf. I can't even go 'but it's my second language'.  :-\
e!

Nico

Quote from: Nico on October 15, 2020, 02:28:51 PM
After about two years I got curious and made the test again.

words

words

The same result as last time.

I am quite proud of it, all things considered. I constantly have two languages in my head (raised bi-lingual) and I am dyslexic.

Kathadon

32,800 words.

Huh. Fun quiz.
My ON'S and OFF'S:

I'll do whatever pleases but I'll bleed 'em in the end.

My BDSM test results.

Callie Del Noire

Annaamarth

Took it three times, got 36,500, 37,000 and 38,000 - but considering much of my vocab is largely learned through reading and therefore, contextual, that 36,5 seems most likely to be actually correct.

Which is ... apparently about the 80th percentile?  There were definitely some archaisms in there and that fourth column tended to hand my my vocabulary like "What, you think you know words? Btchpls."

Pleased enough with the result - I just took it a few times because I like rigor for rigor's sake, I guess?  Only did the research survey bit on the 36,5 result.
Ons/Offs

My sins are pride, wrath and lust.

AlizsahTheBard

I struggled a lot with the last page but still got an acceptable result for me <3.

I agree FYI those final pages of words it was like opening an HP Lovecraft book with how the words bewildered and utterly befuddled me.

words
A Tiefling Most Private (Naughty Thot) Thoughts - AlizsahTheBard Search Thread
"And so we go, on with our lives. We know the truth but prefer lies
Lies are simple, simple is bliss. Why go against tradition when we can?
Admit defeat, live in decline! Be the victim of our own design...
The status quo, built on suspect. Why would anyone stick out their neck?"
The Decline NOFX