News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wander

The second half of Steins;Gate wrecked me when
Steins;Gate spoiler
Okabe repeatedly tried to save Mayuri over and over again and failed, again and again and again. It was the realisation he was destined to continually fail that kicked me in my feels, having cared for and watched family members die more than once myself

I remember watching that with my ex and I actually full on cried when the despair peaked. I needed a hug and tissues and everything.

Hunter

I can't say any of those ring a bell but I've been confined to watching anime on hulu lately.

TheScarletBlade

Frothing at the mouth to watch attack on titan season 3, coming in a few days.
“I fight for the men I have held in my arms, dying on foreign soil. I fight for their wives and children, whose names I heard whispered in their last breath. I fight for we few who did come home, only to find our country full of strangers wearing familiar faces. I fight so that all the fighting I've already done hasn't been for nothing, I fight: because I must.”

TheScarletBlade aka TSB

TotesRider

The new Kamen Rider looks sick!

yugi006

Anyone watching Angolmois Genkou Kassenk? It's about the Mongol invasion ofJapan. think it is a great series so far and has a beautiful opening song.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gdN4XDLa64o&t=10s

TheScarletBlade

how not to summon a demon lord is the best anime this season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t0C5ahYCCA

Please be mindful of character ages when posting videos. - Staff
“I fight for the men I have held in my arms, dying on foreign soil. I fight for their wives and children, whose names I heard whispered in their last breath. I fight for we few who did come home, only to find our country full of strangers wearing familiar faces. I fight so that all the fighting I've already done hasn't been for nothing, I fight: because I must.”

TheScarletBlade aka TSB

TotesRider

One of my favorite moments in Baki the Grappler finally got animated and i'm so happy with it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY6YES-bQ5A

Sain

Quote from: TotesRider on August 27, 2018, 09:49:34 PM
One of my favorite moments in Baki the Grappler finally got animated and i'm so happy with it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY6YES-bQ5A

Watching this as well! I wonder if the anime ever gets to Pickle and Musashi ;D
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Cold Heritage

From what I read, the anime is only adapting a story arc that takes place well before Pickles or Musashi.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Sain

Quote from: Cold Heritage on August 28, 2018, 07:51:55 PM
From what I read, the anime is only adapting a story arc that takes place well before Pickles or Musashi.

Awwh... Maybe one day they will animate later parts too.

stormwyrm

Salty that the much awaited Full Metal Panic 3 ended inconclusively. The novels are done, just get it done already!
If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

Sessha

Quote from: stormwyrm on August 29, 2018, 10:41:06 AM
Salty that the much awaited Full Metal Panic 3 ended inconclusively. The novels are done, just get it done already!

I saw the first two episodes and called it done. The cheap shitty CGI mecha was the deal breaker for me.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

Mirrah

Quote from: Nadir on July 12, 2018, 07:40:18 AM
Sorry I failed so hard at replying to this sooner! I'm enjoying Ajin, it's got some very interesting characters, a curious antagonist and has a really refreshing way of giving the protagonists flaws and traits quite a distance from heroic. They are bad people doing the right thing for the worst reasons and that in itself is fascinating.

Ajin is actually the anime chosen to start E's anime club and we've only just started watching it & chatting about it. Anyone is welcome to come along and join in.

It's all good, Nadir! I'll take a peek at that sometime then, thank you for the link! I've been thinking about watching Ajin, seeing it.

Still at the beginning of Made in Abyss, but it's great so far. I like the pacing, though it's all too easy to want to keep watching and lose track of time that way.
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?

stormwyrm

Quote from: Sessha on August 31, 2018, 11:31:10 PM
I saw the first two episodes and called it done. The cheap shitty CGI mecha was the deal breaker for me.

I will forgive much for a good story. Heck, I've started with Black Clover, and so far the story is decent enough that I'm for now willing to forgive the annoying voice they gave Asta. They seem to have gotten a somewhat new voice actor to do him, Gakuto Kajiwara who doesn't yet have much in the way of credits, so I don't know if it's his fault or the director's (probably the latter, since he doesn't sound weird in a clip of Omae Wa Gunma Wo Shiranai, which is his only other major credit so far).

Quote from: Mirrah on September 08, 2018, 05:48:23 PM
Still at the beginning of Made in Abyss, but it's great so far. I like the pacing, though it's all too easy to want to keep watching and lose track of time that way.

Well, it's a pretty nice show. I watched it week by week when it was new. It doesn't end conclusively though, be warned, as it's only 13 eps.
If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

Mirrah

Quote from: stormwyrm on September 09, 2018, 03:16:10 AM
Well, it's a pretty nice show. I watched it week by week when it was new. It doesn't end conclusively though, be warned, as it's only 13 eps.

Agreed, it is! Hm. You know, I've kind of come to half expect that of shows, to be honest. Thank you for the heads up on it!
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?

TotesRider

Been wanting to give Black Clover a shot. I heard it's pretty cookie cutter shonen stuff... but I love shonen stuff so i'm curious. Then again technically MHA is also somewhat cookie cutter but it's done extremely well imo, which hey. Not every piece of media needs to 'push the genre foward' as they say. Sometimes a good show can just be a good ass show ya know?

Also here's a good giggle.

stormwyrm

The only parts of the Fate series that can be considered truly canon are Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. If Kinoko Nasu didn't write it, then I think Type Moon reserves the right to make future canon stories to contradict it. Even Fate/Zero I think counts pretty much as fan fiction, though it was written by Gen Urobuchi (the "urobutcher" responsible for such masterpieces as Puella Madoka Magica and Higurashi) and seems to have had the tacit blessing of Nasu. Fate/Apocrypha is interesting, but I'm on the fence about it. Fate/Extra is a game more than anything, and the anime adaptation reflects that; it's pretty much a monster of the week. Fate/Grand Order is not a series as far as I can tell. And let's not even go to Fate/Kaleid Liner...
O/OA/A, Requests

Sessha

Quote from: stormwyrm on September 11, 2018, 12:24:17 AM
Even Fate/Zero I think counts pretty much as fan fiction, though it was written by Gen Urobuchi (the "urobutcher" responsible for such masterpieces as Puella Madoka Magica and Higurashi) and seems to have had the tacit blessing of Nasu. Fate/Apocrypha is interesting, but I'm on the fence about it. Fate/Extra is a game more than anything, and the anime adaptation reflects that; it's pretty much a monster of the week. Fate/Grand Order is not a series as far as I can tell. And let's not even go to Fate/Kaleid Liner...

Actually Storm Fate/Zero is considered cannon as it's events line-up with the events Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. Fate/Zero is the prequel to the original game. Which if you wanted to cut your teeth on a good Fate series either Fate/Zero or Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works are good ones.

As for Fate/Apocrypha. Honestly it wasn't bad and I liked Mordred as a Saber. Sieg...was a bit of a cookie cutter protagonist.

Fate Grand Order: First Order currently is a stand alone OVA that basically retells the story of the prologue chapter of the mobile game by the same name. Though it does change a few details, nothing major just a few minor details are cut out. Mostly due to run time, but it tells the story pretty well. Though they are suppose to be making more Grand Order OVAs. Though the fan base has wondered why they don't just don't make it off the various singularities that make up the first half of the game instead of skipping all the way to Sixth Singularity is anyone's guess.

As for Ilya Prisma...that was an attempt to create a better ending for Ilya Von Einsburn since well she kind of got a bit of a raw deal. No matter which of the three story routes you follow.

Oh and of course the movie OVAs for Heaven's Feel are straight cannon as they tell the last story path from the original visual novel game.

Haruki

Quote from: TotesRider on September 10, 2018, 11:01:09 PM
Been wanting to give Black Clover a shot. I heard it's pretty cookie cutter shonen stuff... but I love shonen stuff so i'm curious. Then again technically MHA is also somewhat cookie cutter but it's done extremely well imo, which hey. Not every piece of media needs to 'push the genre foward' as they say. Sometimes a good show can just be a good ass show ya know?

You've just reminded me I need to play catch up on Black Clover.  If you're just starting out, please give it time to build up; the first episodes (I'd say up to ep 14) really just are a setup for what comes after that point.  I tried MHA, but after 7 episodes, I dropped it.  Just never was into the superhero stuff growing up, but I was always into high fantasy stories set in 'medieval (-like)' worlds, so Black Clover was right up my alley.

The way to really enjoy shonen anime is just to forget comparing them all, ie: MHA is the next Naruto.  Generally speaking, all the shonen trademarks, token character stereotypes, and tropes are in play, just the settings, battle styles, and the title of the franchise differ.  Be ready for a long ride though, as these shows can go on for a long time if they prove popular enough.

Of course you probably knew that going in already.  ^_^
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

TotesRider

All aboard the super gay hype train sweeties!
LETS FUCKING GO YO
https://youtu.be/dX6QlfK76ec

stormwyrm

So now the summer season just ended and we're at the autumn season. Not sure what to watch yet. Looking at the list, I've got the following tentative picks:

• Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken — Isekai reincarnation. MelisaArtemis says the novel/manga is rather popular though she hasn't read them yet, so maybe there's some hope there
  • Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Season 2 — Yes, this is Phoenix Wright, season 2. I liked the first one so this shouldn't be too bad.
  • Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume o Minai — Not sure about this one, but with bunny girls and romance in the tags there might be something there
  • Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara — Can't find too much info about this since it's not based on any previous media. Translation of the title: "So Many Colors in the Future What a Wonderful World". Cover image looks like it's up my alley though.
  • Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet — Romeo and Juliet-based romcom. *shrugs*
  • Radiant — This is apparently based on a French comic rather than a manga, and the premise seems like it's full of good action
  • Re: Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu — This looks like an OVA. I liked the original series. It'll be a pain if it gets only a theatrical release as it will then take forever to get subs for.
  • Goblin Slayer — Dark fantasy they say. 'Nuff said.
  • Sword Art Online: Alicization — Of course. I didn't have the time to read all the novels; this arc is now longer than the rest of the series put together...
  • Ulysses: Jeanne d`Arc to Renkin no Kishi — Ecchi, fantasy, romance, comedy. Just the thing for me. :P
  • Karakuri Circus — Looks like heavy action
  • Otona no Bouguya-san — Sounds like something to whet my appetite for ecchi
  • Conception — Not yet sure what to make of this though
  • Ore ga Suki na no wa Imouto Dakedo Imouto ja Nai — We'll see about this one
  • Ingress the Animation — Sounds like it might be cool

This list will probably get whittled down once I have a better grip on what all these shows are really about. Anyone who knows more, feel free to chime in.
O/OA/A, Requests

Sain

Quote from: TotesRider on October 01, 2018, 05:41:47 PM
All aboard the super gay hype train sweeties!
LETS FUCKING GO YO
https://youtu.be/dX6QlfK76ec

Awww yiss! JOJO!

Solaire

Quote from: Sessha on September 11, 2018, 04:52:21 AM
Actually Storm Fate/Zero is considered cannon as it's events line-up with the events Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. Fate/Zero is the prequel to the original game. Which if you wanted to cut your teeth on a good Fate series either Fate/Zero or Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works are good ones.

Ooo Fate series! Love me some Fate, and seconded on either of those two. Am I a heathen for also recommending Carnival Phantasm?

Sessha

Quote from: Solaire on October 03, 2018, 12:39:01 AM
Ooo Fate series! Love me some Fate, and seconded on either of those two. Am I a heathen for also recommending Carnival Phantasm?

Ehh I wouldn't recommend Carnival Phantasm for people who haven't exactly seen anything about the Fate series. It's a pretty interesting and funny concept I won't lie, but not something you want to cut your teeth on for a first timer.

Sain

Yay the JoJo ep was neat ;D This'll be another great season!