News:

Main Menu

Christmas Carols

Started by Caliphas, November 28, 2011, 09:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliphas

Well, with Thanksgiving over in the U.S. the Christmas Season has officially started, and every radio station from the east coast to the west coast in the U.S. is playing Christmas songs around the clock.

There will always be songs that drive us crazy, songs we sing along to, and even both, but then, what are our favorites?

Just a simple thread to mention your favorite Christmas song, and maybe even your favorite version of it; it doesn't have to be a classic.

For me, my favorite has always been Carol of the Bells, just because it feels a little different, that night sky filled with snow as the streets clear feeling for me. I grew up caroling with my family, and that was always the one I liked to sing loudest, and first.

Inkidu

I always liked Tidings of Comfort and Joy, O Come all Ye Faithful, and I'll be Home for Christmas the best. Oh, and Everyday Feels Like a Holiday.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Ryven

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Avis habilis

manlocksol

I really like the band aid (the old one) song. It was a fnatstic collaboration of artists :)
Why rush to the goal when you can have more fun on the field?

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kendra

This is my Christmas gusher ... my all time favourite Christmas song but only her version of it

Judy Garland - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Codswallop

Not embeddable, unfortunately, but when I hear Thurl Ravenscroft sing, “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” I know it’s Christmas.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzXKWKaxt3c

Capone

Quote from: Codswallop on November 29, 2011, 04:31:49 PM
Not embeddable, unfortunately, but when I hear Thurl Ravenscroft sing, “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” I know it’s Christmas.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzXKWKaxt3c

I admit to having a soft spot for that, simply because the vocalist was Tony the Tiger, and Tony the Tiger is dead. :(

The voice actor, more like.

I might have more songs to post another time, as I refuse to listen to Christmas music until December 1st. Rarely ever the traditional songs, though mostly because they're all over the radio.

Caeli

I generally do not like holiday jingles. Especially the annoying and repetitive ones that most grocery stores and malls will play over... and over... and over...

But, there is definitely wintery/seasonal music that does not grate on my ears... usually the more unusual and/or older pieces, more relaxing and or heavily instrumentally-based. Most old-school holiday music is very easy on the ears, and very enjoyable; I have a soft spot for jazz, though.

And Yuna Ito. ♥ She just always looks like she's having so much fun when she performs. (I don't particularly care for the song itself, or for Mariah Carey.)

MV Yuna Ito Live @ HAPPY X'mas SHOW!
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Senti

Fishmen

At least its not puppets.

When my hubby worked in retail he managed to slip this CD on :). Not for long but he said it was worth it.

Senti

Gaudete Mediaeval Baebes

there is a more sensible one.

Horrible Histories - Silent Night

Horrible Histories - Good King Wenceslas

You know i would have to get some horrible histories in there :)

Capone

It's December 1st on the East Coast of the USA, so it is now time I can have a seasonally appropriate avatar and music postings.

We Three Kings is one of my favorite carols. There's something epic sounding about it. Which is perhaps why Rob Halford managed an awesome metal version of it.

Christmas Metal. Hell yeah.

Story Tale

*pops in and throws snowballs at all the carolers* Get off my damn lawn! :P

Here is one of my favorites. Probably the first funny Xmas song I heard as a child. My friends grandma played it for us. ;D

grandma got run over by a reindeer

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Story Tale

Not technically a Christmas carol, but my favorite non con holiday song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTNheCEUP_A#

Capone

Quote from: Oniya on December 01, 2011, 10:35:04 AM
On that note, I'll toss in this one.

Snoopy vs. The Red Baron (Snoopy's Christmas) (CC)

I love that song. :) I also love how it presents that all you need to make a song Christmas themed is to apply sleigh and concert bells.

Quote from: najlah on December 02, 2011, 02:27:33 PM
Not technically a Christmas carol, but my favorite non con holiday song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTNheCEUP_A#

I know it's classic, and the sound of the song brings a visual of cuddling up in front of a fire place, but that one line "Hey, what's in this drink?" just sends the creepy vibe down my spine. I can't listen to the song the same ever again.

And now, for a contribution.

Holly and the Ivy, performed by Yes' Jon Anderson

Story Tale

Oniya

Don't ask me why, but Jon Anderson reminded me of ELP.  And I can't believe I forgot to post this one.

I Believe In Father Christmas - single by Greg Lake

Serephino

I love Carol of the Bells.  But I also love A Mad Russian Christmas.

Trans Siberian Orchestra- A Mad Russian's Christmas

Capone

Quote from: najlah on December 02, 2011, 03:41:47 PM
Creepy sexy?

Depends, but I'm not the sort to think getting a woman drunk so you can fuck her is sexy, let alone a roofie. I mean, I know that's technically maybe not what's going on in the song, but still.

Creepy.