Draecis, the Tortuga of Space (SF) [MUL, likely Exotic]

Started by Vandren, April 23, 2009, 08:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

Draecis, the Tortuga of Space

- free port, one city on the rock (or gravity well, or planet, or whatever you want to call it)
- governed, if it can be so called, by a council of pirate captains
- haven for pirates, smugglers, mercenaries, assassins and traders looking to avoid tariffs
- slave trade encouraged, no real laws or enforcement as such on Draecis
- important parts of town: Port (where ships land), The Block (slave auction), The Arena (fights for sport), Market (obvious?), Council House, Street of the Gods (pirates being superstitious folk), and (possibly) Mage Quarter

Yes, you saw that last part correctly.  I'm thinking to include a little wizardry/sorcery/magic, as well as probably psi.

Likely Earth-exists in the setting, alongside lots of other worlds, several nations, and possibly unlimited species.  As far as tech, anything could go within reason - sentient androids, sentient robots, beam weapons, genetic engineered species, nanotech/mods, cyberware, etc.  Even different STL/FTL technologies by nation/species.  Add in magic and other possibilities open up as well.

Anyway, this is a partially formed idea, but I'm tossing it out there to see if there are any bites . . . so any thoughts?

(If this goes, I'd like to see at least four interested parties before starting up OOC and at least four approved characters before starting up IC, as in my experience that's helpful to keeping a game/group around for more than a month RT.)

"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Doktor Sleepless

IS this going to be freeform? I like pirates, and I like space. :P

Inkidu

Is this original, I can't think of any fandoms, but I'd really have to know if it's system or free-form.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

usha

I'd rather like to have the good Doktor's and Inkidu's questions about it being freeform or system answered before I commit...but...

YAR!

Indigo

Ah...I like this idea much.

The last notion; Of there being those with a touch of magic or 'psi' powers is interesting, and should be regarded as a 'treasure' of sorts to be captured, bartered, used, for this or that crews purpose...some would use their 'powers' willingly, others would have to be...persuaded perhaps.  Who knows?  Lots of possibilities.

Reminds me just a bit of 'The Gap' series by S.R. Donaldson.

Vandren

Definitely not a fandom, although certainly influenced by 16th/17th century history and a dash of PtoC.  And influenced by my own fiction, loosely (mixing fantasy and SF).  (Don't read Donaldson anymore, not after that travesty "Lord Foul's Bane" [one of the few books I could never bring myself to finish], so I guess it could be similar, accidentally.)

Definitely freeform, I think.  I'm open to system, but think that freeform will draw more interest/more people and the only system I'd easily use would be GURPS (probably 3rd ed.).  So, unless there are serious objections, I'm thinking freeform.

That said, for magic and psi, I have tossed around a rating system for power strengths (1-10 scale), just to know character limits.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Vandren

Here's a revised/expanded version (since there's interest):

Draecis, the Tortuga of Space
- free port, one city on the rock (or gravity well, or planet, or whatever you want to call it)
- governed, if it can be so called, by a council of pirate captains
- haven for pirates, smugglers, mercenaries, assassins and traders looking to avoid tariffs
- slave trade encouraged, no real laws or enforcement as such on Draecis; those in charge of certain areas (Port, the Block, the Arena) are treated as ship captains, total masters of their domain
- important parts of town:

Port—Obviously the place where ships land.  The Port Authority’s word is law when it comes to approaches, landings, and take-offs because captains risk themselves, their crews, their ships, and those of others if they don’t listen.  Thus, the port authority has several gunboats and boarding parties in orbit and in atmosphere at its disposal.

The Block—The slave auction block.  Sellers rent pens and are responsible for board, the rent comes out of the final price the slave brings.  All slaves are auctioned by the Block Master (10% fee).  Slaves in pens may wear clothing, but those on the block are stripped so buyers can see everything.  Slaves must wear leather or metal collars bearing a ring for a leash and their owner’s mark.  Slaves lacking this collar are assumed to be free (wo-)men.

The Arena—Here slaves, and occasionally free beings, fight for sport.  At random intervals, the Arena Master may hold a Maze Game, in which the arena floor is turned into a maze and a set number of slaves enter.  The first slave to reach the center wins his/her freedom.  Any slaves who don’t reach the center but survives his/her competitors and any creatures the Arena Master introduces are shot . . . only one gladiator leaves a Maze Game alive.  Most games are to submission or death, although creature/beast games are popular and even some sex games are held (either two combatants trying to strip each other, etc. or female slaves being taken by other slaves or creatures; the latter often being used as an intermission between combat bouts when it occurs).

Market—The partially open air place where anything and everything in the galaxy can be bought, tax and tariff free.  Haggling is strongly encouraged and most sellers have one or more bodyguards.  Money changers also set up shop here, although barter is acceptable to many sellers.

Council House—Sacrosanct place when Council is not in session (Council only meets when 5+ members are in port).

Street of the Gods—Temples, churches, mosques, places of worship for every faith and deity in the known universe are on this street, whether tiny little shrines or massive edifices, pirates being superstitious folk after all.

Mage Quarter—Most of the reputable spellcasting businessbeings set up shop and live here.   A number of psis moved in too.  Generally treated with considerable respect and a bit of awe by even the most hardened pirates, smugglers, and mercs.

Punishment Square—An open air area filled with stocks.  Slaves, problematic crew members, captains who flout the Council, and others can all be brought here for public humiliation.  Some slave owners bring their property here to be punished, humiliated, and even used by the public (so long as the slave is not removed from the stocks).  Fruit and vegetable sellers routinely hawk their rotten wares to the crowds here.  According to custom, free persons brought to the Square cannot seek retribution for anything done to them by the crowd, within reason (such as jokes, mockery, or being hit with rotten fruit).

Earth-exists in the setting, alongside lots of other worlds, several nations, and possibly unlimited species.  As far as tech, anything could go within reason—sentient androids, sentient robots, beam weapons, genetic engineered species, nanotech/mods, cyberware, etc.  Even different STL/FTL technologies by nation/species.  Add in magic and other possibilities open up as well.  Even so, FTL flying planets are probably excessive (despite Larry Niven).

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oreo

Are you still accepting applicants? I've got a lovely shapshifting, profiteer who deals primarily in blackmarket goods. Lya D'Vahl would love to play.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Oreo

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Max

I am interested in playing as well, if there is still room.  Will have to think of a character type.
"Are you into whips and chains too?"
"No, chainsaws."  (just kidding)

Ons and offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4738.new#new

Shia

Hello Vandren,

If you don't mind a blind character I've always wanted to try a female one who is one of the few survivers of a bloodshed - maybe her native tribe had been damaged but she /though being young, already a respected healer with very sharp intuitive and psychological skills/ managed to escape somehow
- but on the way she's been captured and by now dragged to this place -probably to the slave market?...- in a very bad condition.

As she's alone first I'd like to get her a kind of 'family', for example a couple or group of strange persons/creatures :) who decide to take care of her or an uncle of her -who lives at this place- suddenly seem to recognise her when he goes through this quarter of the city.. I don't know.

Aaand :), if I'm welcomed to this game, it would also be so nice to meet a male character, older than her -I also like great age-difference as well- , a kind of 'heavy guy' who's hard on the outside but really a good and heartfelt one on the inside :). 

I think that's all :))
So good place to write ;), congratulations :)

Shia
8)

Inkidu

Quote from: Shia on April 25, 2009, 07:32:39 AM
And no sexual agression, perversions, incest etc., thanks :P
Threesome or parallel relationship with another woman, this is the maximum where I can go,
but not necessarily is this game :)))
This I forgot to write in my last post :P.
Make an on and off thread for that. Why didn't you just edit your last post?

Vandren

All of that sounds good for ideas.  I've got to run for a few hours soon, but can set up an OOC/Character thread mid-to-late afternoon (EDT).

Oh, I'm not putting any limits as to number of characters.  I'd like to make this as open to new additions as possible, probably somewhat unstructured, although there's certainly room for overarching plot developments (like that fleet of Royal ships that just dropped out of hyperspace a few AU away . . . or the captain who's making political moves to dissolve the Council in favor of him/herself).

In the meantime, any preferences re: BON, NC, EX?  I'm thinking exotic no matter what.

Shia

/Just for Inkidu :)) and to make one more reply! :P :)
On and off-s below ;)/

Oreo

QuoteIn the meantime, any preferences re: BON, NC, EX?  I'm thinking exotic no matter what.

It's almost a given that you'll need all three since there will be slaves and unusual aliens. ;)

By the way, :warning: Lya has a knack for reaching directly into the pleasure center of the mind during play. If you aren't up for that, don't engage her.

Inkidu

I'm trying to figure out this magic thingy you keep hinting or musing with.

Vandren

How so? 

I opened the possibility of magic existing alongside technology and psionics.  Just because of some stuff I've been doing the last couple years in my novellas.  It seems to be accepted, so we've got tech, magic, and psi options.

Oh, and I've set up a elluiki page for info (and character profiles):
https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Private:Draecis

Inkidu

Quote from: Vandren on April 25, 2009, 01:41:21 PM
How so? 

I opened the possibility of magic existing alongside technology and psionics.  Just because of some stuff I've been doing the last couple years in my novellas.  It seems to be accepted, so we've got tech, magic, and psi options.

Oh, and I've set up a elluiki page for info (and character profiles):
https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Private:Draecis
Well I usually only see magic in Sci-fi's that are more planet-bound. I thought you were using it as an example like the Force is the magic of Star Wars.

Tell me about it. I use guns in my semi-classical fantasy work. You should here the LotR fans whine. :)

Vandren

Quote from: Inkidu on April 25, 2009, 01:48:21 PMWell I usually only see magic in Sci-fi's that are more planet-bound. I thought you were using it as an example like the Force is the magic of Star Wars.

More like trad fantasy magic.  Then again, I see the Force as a mix of chi and psi.

QuoteTell me about it. I use guns in my semi-classical fantasy work. You should here the LotR fans whine. :)

Depending on the context, I could be one of them (both a LotR fan and a bit of a "medieval" Fantasy purist).  But that's mostly because I prefer swords to firearms.  Of course, I prefer blasters to firearms too.  :)

Oreo

What exactly does this refer to? 'Character’s Adult Limits: '

Where do we post the profile?