Heroes of Sandpoint (Pathfinder RPG/E6 Extreme Small Group, interest check)

Started by yesiroleplay, March 08, 2011, 10:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yesiroleplay

Heroes of Sandpoint
Introduction
I'm proposing a game set in and around the town of Sandpoint detailed in the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path.  This game will not follow that Adventure Path, though I will be using some of the encounters.  The overall focus of the game is more about character personality and relationship development and less about mechanical power progression. Think of it as small-town slice-of-life or high-school type of game in a fantasy setting.  That means lots of drama and inter-personal conflict and character goals focused on local recognition and achievement. Not that there won't be combat and high adventure. There will be plenty of that. I'm making this extreme because ogres, worgs, plant-monsters, or worse might molest your character in certain circumstances. Or not.
I'm hoping to balance the game as a combination of quest and sandbox.  All players have to like and/or trust each other well enough to work as a party when they're on a mission, but between missions each player is free to pursue personal interests.  I hope for something like two months (real-world time) on party adventures, followed by a couple months (real-world time) of sandbox play.  This isn't a firm schedule, but I'm hoping the NPCs and local color will draw enough player interest to make this mix sustainable.

Post character concepts here, or feel free to PM/IM me with your ideas.

More to follow...

Game Elluiki
Heroes of Sandpoint
People and places of Sandpoint

Rules
Character Creation:

House rules: (Links below in links section)

• E6 rules.  Your character will never advance past 6th level, though she will certainly gain reputation, skills, and powers in other ways.
  • Players roll all the dice.  When I introduce combat encounters, I will give a brief summary of Defense and Offense DC's and damage potential.  If your attack exceeds/matches the creature's defence DC, you hit.  If your defensive roll exceeds/matches the creature's attack DC, it missed.  When you make a combat post, you'll roll everything for your turn using the Elliquiy Dice Bot (Send the roll to me please. Send To: userid=22051) and post the turn in narrative style.
  • Raising The Stakes.  Want to try something dramatic and awesome with that attack or skill check?  Propose a bet to me in the OoC thread, and I'll either tell you to roll or decline your proposal with a 'no bet'.
  • I'll be using the optional reputation system from the d20 SRD.  This will work almost entirely behind the scenes, but as your character's reputation grows, many doors will open and certain tasks might become easier.
  • I will award experience at a glacial pace. The game focus is highly skewed toward character development in areas other than raw power.

Links

Character sheet
Use the following template when you request access.  Personality/Experience/Biography are the most important aspects for now, but eventually you should make a full character sheet on plothook.net.

Character portraits are optional. If you do not wish to include yours, remove the second half of the first line, starting with [float. Keep the hr tag in the sheet.

[font=georgia][size=12pt][i]ENTER CHARACTER NAME HERE[/i][/size][/font][hr][float=right][img height=300]http://ENTER URL OF IMAGE HERE.jpg[/img][/float]
[b]Gender[/b]: Female
[b]Orientation[/b]:
[b]Age[/b]:

[b]Race[/b]:
[b]Class and Level[/b]:
[b]Alignment[/b]:
[b]Patron Deity[/b]:

[b]Height[/b]:
[b]Weight[/b]:
[b]Figure[/b]:
[b]Skin[/b]:
[b]Hair[/b]:
[b]Eyes[/b]:

[b]Appearance[/b]:

[b]Personality[/b]:

[b]Experience[/b]:

[b]Biography[/b]:

meikle

This looks interesting and I want to say that I'm interested.  I've never used Pathfinder before, I am familiar with the d20 rules and hey look, there's an SRD so that's neat.

I've kind of always wanted to play with E6 rules, too.

Probably look at somethin' straight-forward, like a human fighter ...

If you were intending to make more posts and mine got in the way lemme know and I will remove it!
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

yesiroleplay

You're fine.  I will be expanding the opening post, but any new posts with important content will mostly likely arrive in the OoC thread in the gaming forum.

Creeper

Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

Ershin

I must say that this has me greatly interested, the Pathfinder core rulebook and the APG have been sitting unused on my book shelf for some months now (RL group decided they didn't want to play it after all) and I've been wanting to try out the E6 rules for some time as well.

I'll have to read through the "Rise of the Runelords" players guide you linked before being able to provide more than interest however, just to see if I can't come up with a concept that'd fit in well with the setting.  I'd originally been thinking of using some kind of low-intelligence, high-charisma character in the next D&D/Pathfinder/what-have you game I applied for, though that's much too shallow in retrospective.

Blue Leah

I would definitely be in for this! I loved the ROTRL stories and characters, and always wanted to be able to play in the setting instead of just DMing it.

Since you said Base Classes are allowed, I'd love to stat out a Witch focused on illusions. Though if needed, I have a Trickery and Madness domain Cleric concept I can apply, as well.

Laughing Hyena

Huzzah my stars have finally come! Assuming this one has the staying power it looks like it could have I am definitely in.

yesiroleplay

Either of those concepts could be fun.  Just remember that you only go to level 6, so you will never get the major hex.  Also, while I don't restrict alignment, I do ask that all the players actually get along, so keep that in mind when designing their personality and giving them an alignment.  If you're creepy or can't be trusted, others don't normally want to associate with you.

That said - I do like both ideas and something like the witches from Charmed might be very interesting.  There is no need to hide the supernatural in this setting, but a lot of the inter-personals in that show might carry over rather well into the sandbox plots.

meikle

For what it's worth, I poked around the SRD (like I said, I've never actually used Pathfinder before) and tried putting together a Human Fighter.  I like how Pathfinder looks; it doesn't seem incredibly different from 3.5 on the surface, at least, so it's not outside of my comfort zone.

There were a lot of silly sounding weapons on the equipment list.

I came up with someone with a sword and shield and the bully and killer traits.  I imagine the result is something of an intimidatingly confident character that is pretty comfortable doing violence to people.  I don't actually know the setting well enough to come up with something more in depth than a general idea of a personality though.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Laughing Hyena

Sweet. I'll pull up and modify one of my pathfinder characters to make him suitable for play

yesiroleplay

The player's guide (a free pdf download) gives a very good overview of the world at large.  I'm in the process of setting up the specifics of Sandpoint and surrounds. But for the most part you can consider it a fairly typical medieval fantasy village.  There are butchers and bakers and candlestick makers, a tailor and a cobbler, craftsmen, and a town drunk or few.

Acid Lips

i wish i knew how to play pathfinder, good luck anyways people ^^

yesiroleplay

Pathfinder RPG is essentially the same as D&D prior to 4th edition.  And really, I'm only using a system because it's a solid way to help the characters develop martial and magical prowess in a loosely controlled way.  I want the main focus to be on the characters, not their skill sets.

Acid Lips

lol what if i told you the only thin i really played and are good at to the possibility of being a dm is World of Darkness. I never played D&D

yesiroleplay

I'd say that WoD and the Storyteller System in general (especially Exalted!) is much more complicated than d20 in most ways, and that if you have an awesome concept that all the other players like I'd be glad to help you with the mechanics.

Acid Lips

lol nah just wanted to say hi to a roleplayer I know from here. I got no idea about this time period but I will be reading through your rp ^^

Blue Leah

Right now, I'm looking at a Male Elf Cleric of Sivanah, with the Deception (Trickery) and Ward (Runes) domains. Figured madness wouldn't quite fit. As of right now, the traits are Power of Suggestion and Ease of Faith. Weapon will probably be the deity's weapon (Bladed Scarf).

Creeper

I just noticed that you intend to put it in the extreme section. Is this because you want to allow anything to happen in the game, or will the GM be actively perpetuating extreme scenes? Should players be prepared for non-consensual scenes?

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Creeper on March 09, 2011, 06:22:02 PM
I just noticed that you intend to put it in the extreme section.
Is this because you want to allow anything to happen in the game, Yes
or will the GM be actively perpetuating extreme scenes? See below
Should players be prepared for non-consensual scenes? Yes
I won't be leading anyone into such scenes, but I'm not going to shy from them either.  Characters will hear rumors or get an uneasy vibe off certain places/people/creatures.  You as the player will normally have the option to avoid the most graphic sex and/or violence.  And I do respect on/offs.

As a for-instance:  If you are so lame as to actually be captured by goblins there might be a pit fight between your naked character and a goblin dog.  If the goblin dog wins, I might offer you the option of playing out bestial rape rather than have you suffer character death.  Again - you're heroes, so hopefully you either avoid capture entirely, or your fellows rescue you before this horrid event occurs.

Ershin

Mind if I ask a question about the permitted classes? If the base classes from the APG are permitted, would that also mean that the variant core classes (such as Urban Druid) from the same book might be allowed? Mainly asking because while the Urban Druid wouldn't actually get Wild Shape in an E6 game (the variant doesn't get it until level 8), the sixth level capstone would instead be Thousand Faces, which seems to me to have much more role play potential.
Then again, it would also lose the ability to gain an animal companion and spontaneously cast "summon nature's ally", so in the end it might just be better to play a Cleric or an Oracle, so long as the role of divine caster has not already been picked by someone else, of course.

Speaking of classes/roles being picked, will players be chosen on a first-come-first-serve basis, or a number of applications/concepts after a specified time period has passed?

yesiroleplay

Alternate classes from the AGP are fine.  In fact, if you want to try an alternate class from DnD 3.5 with a pathfinder class, I'm willing to work with you on the conversion.  No DnD-only classes though.  This is only if you want to be say, a Divine Pathfinder bard, for instance.

I'm going to select players based on a variety of things too complicated to go into.  But basically, personality and depth of character is by far my most important concern.  Order of application is very, very far down on the list.

Laughing Hyena

I would like to play a fire pirest or sarenrae half orc or such priest

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on March 09, 2011, 07:02:33 PM
I would like to play a fire pirest or sarenrae half orc or such priest
I like the idea!  A half-orc  certainly isn't the stereotype for fire priest of Sarenrae.

Also - I edited the opening post to add some wiki links leading to game information.

yesiroleplay

Character sheet
Use the following template when you request access.  Personality/Experience/Biography are the most important aspects for now, but eventually you should make a full character sheet on plothook.net.

Character portraits are optional. If you do not wish to include yours, remove the second half of the first line, starting with [float. Keep the hr tag in the sheet.

[font=georgia][size=12pt][i]ENTER CHARACTER NAME HERE[/i][/size][/font][hr][float=right][img height=300]http://ENTER URL OF IMAGE HERE.jpg[/img][/float]
[b]Gender[/b]: Female
[b]Orientation[/b]:
[b]Age[/b]:

[b]Race[/b]:
[b]Class and Level[/b]:
[b]Alignment[/b]:
[b]Patron Deity[/b]:

[b]Height[/b]:
[b]Weight[/b]:
[b]Figure[/b]:
[b]Skin[/b]:
[b]Hair[/b]:
[b]Eyes[/b]:

[b]Appearance[/b]:

[b]Personality[/b]:

[b]Experience[/b]:

[b]Biography[/b]:

Template also added to opening post.

Creeper