News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Outpost

Started by RedEve, July 18, 2014, 04:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

This would be a fantasy setting.

The Western borders of the kingdom of Vanriel have been plagued by Orc attacks.
The Orcs had not been seen for many generations, but now they grow bolder with each new season.
As one of the measures to protect the Western outskirts of his Kingdom, King Berathar the III has decided to garrison some of the old, disused forts that are still found all along the Western border.
These forts were built three hundred years earlier, during another time of Orc aggression.

In this setting, both men and women would serve in the army, so male and female soldiers would be allowed.
Recruitment of new soldiers has only just begun, so the garrisons are rather small in the early days.
The outpost in this game would be held by two dozen men, led by a captain.

The players would assume the roles of either a soldier garrisoned at the old fort, or a villager who lives nearby the fort.

The first section of the game would deal with the day to day proceedings at the fort, the second part would then cover an actual Orc attack where the defenders are faced with overwhelming odds.

I would keep the level of magic limited. I am willing to allow the presence of one Mage, either at the garrison or in the fort.

I would use the RPG Skyrim as the basis for the weaponry/armor in this game.

Whomever has an interest to play this game, feel free to express it in here.
If and when I have enough people, I would add a character sheet to the opening post.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Icowom

When you mean fantasy, what level of tech are we looking for offensive and defensive tech?

Like, are we looking at the era of crossbow proliferation, late-development trebuchet and catapults, early cannon, scaled armour, plate armour, etc.

I mean, sure its Skyrim-ish tech, but Skyrim is retardedly magic heavy, which would affect how much more reliant this universe is on conventional tech.

Other than that, colour me interested  :3

RedEve

The idea would be to use Skyrim as a basis but then strip it of most of its magical components. So there would be no enchanted weapons, for one thing.

Plate and scaled armor are part of the Skyrim universe. I'm okay with there being trebuchets and catapults. No cannons though.

Icowom

Quote from: RedEve on July 18, 2014, 05:17:05 AM
The idea would be to use Skyrim as a basis but then strip it of most of its magical components. So there would be no enchanted weapons, for one thing.

Plate and scaled armor are part of the Skyrim universe. I'm okay with there being trebuchets and catapults. No cannons though.

Hm, that would mean crossbows with reloading aids are a thing as well, and is typically the pinacle of ranged weapon attacks.

Im also assuming Dwemer tech will also be not used? Considering their elaborate uses of steam power

RedEve

No.

:-)

To give a general idea, stuff like the Stormcloak or Imperial armor would be allowed.

Things like the glass or Ebony armor sets, less so.

Chreestafer

I'd be definitely interested in this game.

What's the possibility of an ex soldier turned farmer turned back into a soldier? I like the concept of a scythe being a weapon.
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Chreestafer

Thinking something like this?
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Icowom

Quote from: Chreestafer on July 18, 2014, 07:18:27 AM

Thinking something like this?

Waaaay too advanced and complex armour for that period, or eveb our type of chars.  I think Red Eve is going for a more 'brownshirt' type of chars.

((Hopes peeps on this site know what brownshirts are))

RedEve

It's not only too complex, but also too expensive looking for what a peasant/farmer could afford. Even if such high-end armor was allowed, it would only be affordable by wealthy nobles.
This story will focus on the grunts. Even the captain of the outpost will merely be the second or third son/daughter of a minor nobleman.

JackWhite

Quote from: Icowom on July 18, 2014, 10:30:20 AM
Waaaay too advanced and complex armour for that period, or eveb our type of chars.  I think Red Eve is going for a more 'brownshirt' type of chars.

((Hopes peeps on this site know what brownshirts are))
I'd hope that the Kingdom offers her fighters some low tech armour protect themselves.

RedEve

This would be roughly the armor level of the commander I would say.

NubianLegend

I have an idea for a  sellsword foreigner character, would something like that that be allowed?

KnightNelson20

Ill throw my interest in as well.

SheerFantasia

I'll throw my interest as well.  Will it be human focused or are some non-humans available as well? (let's say going with the Skyrim selection)

Will the entire focus be fending off an orc attack, and how long will the peaceful period last? (if it's not to be a surprise).

RedEve

Quote from: SheerFantasia on July 18, 2014, 02:23:42 PM
I'll throw my interest as well.  Will it be human focused or are some non-humans available as well? (let's say going with the Skyrim selection)

Will the entire focus be fending off an orc attack, and how long will the peaceful period last? (if it's not to be a surprise).

I would say some good build-up before the attack starts. Interactions with the nearby town, perhaps some patrols, ...

I'm not opposed to opening this up to the Skyrim races.

johnnyboyboy

Throwing my interest in the pot.
Just some quotes.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.”

"As time goes on, and our paths continue to unfold  though I do not know what will happen, whether we  continue together through life, all that I ask of you is that you remember me."
On/offs https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=205898.0

KnightNelson20

Is there a charater sheet of sorts?

Frelance

I will throw my interest in for this game. I am thinking of making a local hunter from the village who could either join the garrison as a soldier or be hired as a guide for the garrison.
Evolution is an arms race

MagicalPen

I am thinking a large Nord myself, like so:

Just google 'Skyrim Armor' or 'Skyrim Character' and that'll show you what is 'acceptable'.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

SheerFantasia

I'd like to opt for the position of the mage.  I'm thinking more along the lines of Conjurer type who summons his own equipment (left-side image), and occasionally does a bit more of the flashier stuff (though keeping with the idea of a more magic-limited setting, it probably would be very often), though still has a very much warrior approach to battle and the world (i.e. doesn't float his tankard of mead over to him, mumble incantations to get the camp fire started - in short, gritty magic)

I'm thinking an advisor sort (character concept image: left-most image) who's been attached with the garrison to help oversee its operation and shore up its shortcomings, and help deal with any unusual problems it might face.

Kaliatas

I'd also like to express interest. I'm picturing this character as a villager who lives near the fort. She doesn't have any experience fighting, but she has used a bow her entire life.

Jarulf

I'd be interested as well. I could either play a scout type character or a healer.
Would this be free-form or system based?

RedEve

This game idea has been put on hold indefinitely.

Jarulf