[Closed] [M/M] [Poly] [Mercenaries] [Super Powers] Soldiers of Fortune

Started by Dotley, December 07, 2017, 08:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orange Marmalade

Dotley

Welcome Cere! <3

Gar is gonna be hyped to have a marine brother in the squad.
O&O's || A&A's

"I don’t use people for stories.
I use stories to express my feelings for people."

Ouroboros

Semi-Relevant Information
wants and needs | apologies and absences  | ons and offs

Dotley

Cas' cattiness is just gonna mean Gar will be extra friendly with Rik  8-)
O&O's || A&A's

Cerevan

Quote from: Orange Marmalade on December 11, 2017, 06:09:38 PM
Oh a firecracker. Looks fun!

Smol and Full of Murder.

Quote from: Dotley on December 11, 2017, 06:58:51 PM
Cas' cattiness is just gonna mean Gar will be extra friendly with Rik  8-)

They're gonna to call response songs just for that, Cas. Juuuust for that.

Ket

I'm working on a character sheet. Will possibly have it in tonight. I think I have two posts I need to get out first. (trying to be a good girl and make sure I'm all caught up on everything else before I go making new things)
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Dotley

Quote from: Cerevan on December 11, 2017, 07:03:12 PM
Smol and Full of Murder.

They're gonna to call response songs just for that, Cas. Juuuust for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=873J10TFBvE

This will always be relevant for this game.

Quote from: Ket on December 11, 2017, 08:44:19 PM
I'm working on a character sheet. Will possibly have it in tonight. I think I have two posts I need to get out first. (trying to be a good girl and make sure I'm all caught up on everything else before I go making new things)

So looking forward to your character  :-)
O&O's || A&A's

Dotley

And one more character for the roster! Captain daddy ahem the squad captain is done.

the Captain
Name: Tobias Baker
Nicknames: Goes by "Toby" when among friends and family or civilians. He doesn't permit such familiarity with subordinates and expects to be addressed as "Sir" or "Captain" during downtime though will permit "Baker" while in the field. Has more than once been affectionately dubbed "Cap" and "Captain Dad" by his men during long-term operations.
Aliases: N/a.

Date of Birth: June 25th
Bloodtype: A Positive
Country of Origin: England
Current Citizenship: U.K.

Height: 5'6"
Hair: Dirty Blond
Eyes: Dull Green
Body Type: Fit. Toby is getting older and he's starting to feel it, but he keeps himself in shape.
Distinguishing Features: He has a fairly non-notable appearance. Toby is astonishingly average looking on all fronts - his height, his weight, his attractiveness. There's really nothing distinctive about him. He doesn't have any tattoos or piercings and what few scars he has are hidden when he's geared up.

Primary Presentation: Controller
Secondary Presentation: N/a
Power Analysis: Toby is a moderately powerful controller. He's trained extensively in his power and has never relied on baseline in order to control it. Toby's control over his compulsions rarely slips, but only because he constantly self-monitors. He can exert control over multiple people at once, though he can only control them into following very simple and short commands. When controlling just one individual at a time he can issue multiple and complex commands.

Education: University graduate with a degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering.
Employment History: Toby made a career out of the Royal Marines though there's only so high an Empowered with the presentation of Controller can climb on that promotional ladder before he was barred from advancement. He joined after university and served as a Commando Officer until he met the minimum retirement age and started collecting his pension. But Toby wasn't able to sit back and quietly enjoy his retirement. There were bills to pay, debts to settle, and ex-wives to support. He's been working with Merriweather Services for five years now. He just recently signed a two year contract and received assignment as the squad's captain.
Special Skills: Leadership, Team Management, Training & Supervision, Communications Equipment Installation/Maintenance/Operation, Anti-Controller Tactics
Languages: English. It's the only language Toby speaks fluently, but he's memorized an essential list of very basic and safety oriented commands in various different languages.

Hobbies & Interests: Enjoys nothing more than a nice, hot cup of coffee enjoyed in silence. He likes gardening though it isn't something he's ever gotten to do much due to his frequent deployments. He also loves dogs though they pose the same issue as plants and he doesn't often get to keep a pet. He's a big football fan. The real thing, not that American bastardization of it. He likes to listen to the radio though he prefers talk shows over music. Is an avid knitter.

Motivation: It's a job. Every man needs a job and this just so happens to be Toby's. That's all it is to him.
Personality: Toby was born to be a leader. He's been bred into his blood and he's got the natural temperament for it. He isn't just a boss. He leads by example and develops his men as both individuals and as a team. He's generally a reasonable authority figure though sometimes it's Toby's job to be a total asshole. And when that's needed he excels at it. He'll dole out tough love and discipline as deserved. He genuinely cares for the safety of the men under his authority just as much as he cares about the success of a mission or completion of a contract. Toby is mild-mannered and has a calm disposition. Almost irrationally so. He's rarely surprised or rattled by anyone or any situation. Not matter how screwed up it is. Most everyone has heard him yell, but pretty much no one can say they've ever seen him actually pissed off. He's an emotional rock of steadiness, reliability, and consistency. Though at times his default mode of behavior to remain frosty makes him come across as robotic. Each one of his ex-wives complained about his emotional clamminess and his inability to open up and be vulnerable with them. Toby will comfort and care for others, but he won't allow himself to be comforted and cared for. It goes against all of his training and a lifetime of experience in having to think very carefully about what he says to other people.

Relationship Status: Divorced. He's been thrice married and thrice divorced. He'll be paying spousal maintenance to his ex-wives for the rest of his life.
Sexuality: Toby maintains a front of heterosexuality for himself though he's surprisingly tolerant of homoeroticism and rarely disparaging to those more open about their same-sex inclinations. Despite his many marriages to women he's never been able to tame his attraction to other men. He tried to remain faithful to his former wives, but ultimately failed at it. Repeatedly. He's had various down-low flings and secretive entanglements with men over the years. Though nothing that would count as a serious relationship. He's versatile and switchy though true to his presentation he has trouble giving up control to another person.

Developed Relationships: TBD.

Additional Images

Player Name: Dotley
Face Claim: Martin Freeman
O&O's || A&A's

Ouroboros

Cas is just going to be delighted that he isn't the shortest. :D

Lockepick

Forgot to bookmark this thread, and since I have the object permanence of an infant, I forgot about it. Still room for more?
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Dotley

Quote from: Ouroboros on December 12, 2017, 10:21:22 AM
Cas is just going to be delighted that he isn't the shortest. :D

For once in his life  ;)

Quote from: Lockepick on December 12, 2017, 10:33:56 AM
Forgot to bookmark this thread, and since I have the object permanence of an infant, I forgot about it. Still room for more?

Hiya Lockepick! Definitely still room for one more. In fact we've got room for multiple mores! I know we have a few peeps crafting up their characters atm and a couple more courting interest. No rush in getting a character submitted  :-)
O&O's || A&A's

Lockepick

Sheet might be a little bit -- got some other big posts that I need to get done soon.

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Orange Marmalade

Quote from: Lockepick on December 12, 2017, 12:38:00 PM
Sheet might be a little bit -- got some other big posts that I need to get done soon.

You get to work on that sheet right now, mister! :P

Dotley

For those with accepted characters: I'm working on a character thread and OOC chatter thread for us. However, no exact promises on when they'll be up. But they're coming soon!

For those still working on your characters: Please submit your finished character sheets to both myself and Ouroboros. Once we've given you the thumbs up you're welcome to share your dudes here.

For those interested in the story but, waffling over characters ideas: Let us help! Feel free to nudge me or Ouroboros or post in this thread. We're more than happy to answer questions about the setting, plot character connections, etc etc.
O&O's || A&A's

Ket

I think all I have left to get together is my character's personality/bio, which is ever changing at the moment.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Lockepick

Are Shifter illusions physical or mental? ie: Would it work on a camera? Are they specific to a target, or visible to everybody, regardless of whether or not the Shifter knows they're there?

Ouroboros

Hey!

So, Shifter illusions are sort of malleable in execution - they are mental, requiring that someone be present in order to see the illusion. They won't show on camera, for example. (However, if one was in the vicinity of an active illusion and looking at it through a camera they would still see the illusion - it's a psychic residue, not Obfuscate.) Single target visibility versus blanket visibility probably depends on the control, power and finesse of the individual Shifter, as well as duration. Additionally, some particularly powerful Shifters can also include auditory shifts, and there have been very rare instances of kinesthetic shifts. No taste or smell however.

We're also updating the description to reflect the above, so don't worry about having to come back to this specific post for reference. :)

Lockepick

Finishing up my sheet, and taking the offer for some help: Does anybody have names of any mercenary organizations besides Blackwater? I don't see my guy in any 'by the books' organizations, so trying to think of an example to give him some combat training that isn't too... documented?

Orange Marmalade

Could just pick something at random here: https://www.securitydegreehub.com/most-powerful-private-security-companies-in-the-world/

Even if they basically just normally provide building security you can bill it as a special ops section of them. They're all pretty massive companies.

BitterSweet

These are some of the heavy hitters:

http://www.businessinsider.com/bi-mercenary-armies-2012-2?op=1

If your character is from Latin America: Defion Internacional would do.

This is a list by country, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_private_military_contractors

you might take service in a PMC that's no longer in business, if you're looking for something folks wouldn't know much about.  Also, if you're looking for some less 'standard' organization, he could have come from a cartel, a rebel army in some country or other group where he'd learn some weaponry but not be in the standard merc pipeline.

Ouroboros

You can also just make something up - it's alt history after all :) As long as it's not too insane of course.

Lockepick

I don't think I realized how many there were that I could just google for it! Thanks for all the resources! Sheet is pretty much done once I fill out previous employment.

Dotley

Many thanks to everyone that popped up to help with Lockepick's question! All very correct. Looking forward to seeing your guy, Lockepick  :-)
O&O's || A&A's

Roen

Anything of Dotely is interest worthy, really.

Muse is currently flickering (as you've seen), so a bit torn...hmm..

When is it due to start?

Come and Write with Me! (O/Os and Ideas)
Even the oldest of sights has a moment of rebirth.
-Nathan Alterman.

Dotley

Thanks Roen!  :-)

No exact ETA on the opening of the game just yet. Likely not until after Christmas since we don't want to kick things off only for peeps to be understandably too busy to post.
O&O's || A&A's