Game of Thrones (custom ruled Pathfinder)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, January 01, 2014, 09:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

So, it could be said 'no one starts in caster class' but they can later multiclass into caster class then? Along with usual limitations to magic use to avoid 'fireball tossing arcane cannons'.

Laughing Hyena

Hell, a precious few followers of the Lord of Light actually have been able to revive the dead on separate occasions.

Ascia

Quote from: Rhaegar14 on January 17, 2014, 02:12:22 AM
It's... complicated. Magic has largely left the world at the beginning of the series

Yep. Hence my mentioning 'if after 137 AL' = death of the last dragon.

Quote from: Rhaegar14but the birth of Dany's dragons heralds its return.

Since this game is starting at the start of the series, that'd be before magic beginning to sneak back into Creation.

Which means that...

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 17, 2014, 07:56:01 AM
So, it could be said 'no one starts in caster class' but they can later multiclass into caster class then? Along with usual limitations to magic use to avoid 'fireball tossing arcane cannons'.

That'd be a really good approach, at least until the Unburnt gets her three eggs and gets them reborn. Assuming that happens in the IC.

There are some exceptions (Three-Eyed Crow, Coldhands, the Warlocks just to name a few) but those do seem to be, by far, the exception instead of the rule. And even the exceptions aren't nearly what they were before the return of dragons, as seen with the Warlocks.

I'll stop littering your thread, now! Hope that helped. <3

Zaer Darkwail

Thanks, it did help clear things up Ascia :). Yes, return three dragons do come to pass unless PC's do something very dramatic.

Ghostwheel

How many people are you looking for? I'm interested, but if we have 10+ people it'll be hard for anyone to grab much of a spotlight... :-3

Having rewatched the entire GoT series recently, I could see myself perhaps doing a Witch who worships the Lord of Light if that works in the campaign framework.

Zaer Darkwail

Also by friendly suggestion by fellow player, we could use this variant for spellcasting stuff. Anyways Ghostwheel; idea is that you do not start as spellcaster as game starts as the era of magic has not yet returned to the world.

However, you may play witch but you do not have access to magic except later than things start to awaken (you will feel it when it happens, or rather his bonded pet cat starts suddenly talk to you and it may freak you out). Anyways not sure how many players I have left as interest has been on/off for some of them, but I would keep players around 4-8 range.

Ghostwheel

Name: Nathos "The Bear" Clegane
Class: Fighter
Biography:

A not-so-distant cousin of the more famous Cleganes, Nathos lacks one cousin's size and the other's viciousness. However, he makes up for both his with wider build, ferocity, and propensity to lose himself in combat and wrestle men to the ground, ripping joints out of place and dislocating limbs. The men that fight with him prefer his method to that of his cousins, since they are less likely to be hurt by collateral damage, though this method of fighting is often seen as un-knightly and overly dangerous, coming at armed men with your bare hands.

Not an overly cunning boy, nor one whose tongue was as silvered as some of the other nobles, Nathos grew up being shaped as a tool to be wielded rather than a leader of men. He was taught the knight's code and of chivalry, but the lessons rarely stuck with the boy who had a cruel streak, and who would often take his frustrations out on the weaker boys in the castle, forcing them into submission. Their screams would carry out through his parents' keep, but his parents always put it off to "boys being boys".

Nathos gained his nickname, "The Bear" when in his teens he wrestle a captive bear that had been weakened from starvation and thirst. Still, the animal was ferocious and tried to tear the man apart, yet Nathos succeeded in subduing it and choked it to death with little more than his hands, grasping and tearing for leverage against the mighty beast. There his reputation began, and after that he was often invited to King's Landing to serve as King Robert's champion when duels were needed.

Recently he has been called back to his parents' keep when they grew ill, and after their death took to wandering the roads and picking fights with lone folk who would rarely be missed but were too big for their britches. His dark temper that flares unexpectedly often gets him in trouble, but his size and ferocity intimidates those who would trouble him and forces them to think twice lest they anger the Bear.

sansa

O/O
Hello E friends. For those who've role played with me, I disappeared for a while due to lack of access to a computer and personal issues. Life has calmed down and I now have access to E and inspiration has struck me again. :)

Ghostwheel

I don't think it's going to happen at all :-(

Zaer Darkwail

I got busy in RL but now got two weeks time to get things started! I will open OOC and charsheet thread in thursday/friday time (same as with Bhaalspawn game). I admit it had been bad start in my part, sorry  :-\

Zaer Darkwail

Here is the OOC thread for players and also first post includes link to charsheet section. I make IC thread(s) once got idea how many people are still in here even after my unplanned hiatus.

Zaer Darkwail

*poke*

I just PM'ed to all who had submitted charsheet and ask them post in charsheet section of the game. But game is still open for new players.

Lockepick

I wasn't really sure if this game was still taking applications, but I was hoping to throw my hat in the ring!

I want to be clear that I intend to go Oracle (Life Mystery, Curse I was hoping to talk to the GM about), focusing almost entirely on Healing and Divination. Yes, I am aware healing spells take longer than usual, and yes, I'm aware of the spell limitations. I actually enjoy playing 'casters' more in low magic games.

I'm still trying to get a picture, but thought I'd include the base idea now, in case it needs to be tweaked.

Claude Lian

Claude Lian
Biography:

Claude Lian was born in Braavos, a Free City in Essos. His mother was a chaste and dutiful Red Priestess of R'hllor. She met his father at a town celebration, and was swept off her feat by the traveling merchant. He charmed her and she forgot her vows for that one night. It was all he needed, and by the time she realised she was with child, he was already well out of her life. Even though the Red Priesthood doesn't require celibacy, Claude's mother felt that Claude himself was a constant reminder that she had broken her vows to her God. She wasn't cruel, and her sense of duty and charity made it impossible for her to neglect Claude of his basic needs. She didn't give him the love of a Mother though, she looked at him as one might a scar, he was a living embodiment of her mistake and failure.

The rest of the Priesthood pitied the boy. They came in to offer the additional care that a child needed outside of food and water. He was more raised by them than his mother, and once she realized she had an 'out,' she took it. Claude's mother became more secluded from the Priesthood in her own internal torment, and thus, away from her own son. It only made sense that as the boy came of age, he began to learn the ways of the Red Priests and of R'hllor. The god R'hllor had a few main tenants, but a god who embraced so many good ideals allowed for some room for interpretation. Claude's personal experiences shaped him so that Light and Fire were the essence of Life. His philosophy was enforced by his gifts, as flashes of insight and healing came naturally to him. Where some Red Priests would stare into bonfires for wisdom, Claude could stare into a man's eyes to see the fire inside for the same; Where Red Priests would light larger fires to appease R'hllor, Claude would live his life to the fullest, making the most of R'hllor's gift to all living creatures. Life was to be lived bright, even if the brightest candles burn out the fastest.

The Red Priests accepted Claude, but his Mother still saw him as a sign to her own fall from grace. She returned to being a figure in the Priesthood, denouncing Claude's interpretations of their great God, if only to spite him. Claude took his leave of the local Chapter, if only because he felt wrong to quarrel with his own mother. He left in the Priesthood's good graces, heading west to Westeros to spread the word of R'hllor, to help others live their lives to the fullest and brightest, to help remove the guilt of regrets, to brighten the shadows that threaten the world.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Zaer Darkwail

Well, as starting rule that no one can take levels in full time spellcasting class (rangers are okay but they do not get spells either because archtype or they gain spellcasting activated later) until 'unburned' hatches the three dragon eggs which is sign for era of magic to start anew. But if you want to be 'oracle' in religious wise nothing stops you. But otherwise you need likely take other class, like maestre example or be other class with suitable archtype for religious emissary.

But the background story is good and all.

Lockepick

Oh? I'm willing to take classes in something else first (Probably Master, but I'll have to double check), but I was under the impression through skimming the page that I could take Oracle -- even if I don't actually have access to any spells.

I'd almost rather start off weaker (oracle w/o magic) and then suddenly get stronger with the rebirth of magic, than be a non-caster who is just starting to become a caster when magic comes out. If I don't have a choice though, I'm okay either way.

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Zaer Darkwail

Well, you could be oracle and get mystery granted class skills but you get no spells nor special powers at all until they get unlocked. Also we use spellcasting variant presented in here. So you get not at all 9th level spells ever.

Also healing spells would remain slow to cast but other spells could remain as normal casting times. Although no summoning spells but animate dead or such is allowed. Overall use spells which fit on existing GoT lore once spells become unlocked. Even then miracle of magic should be rare even when it's awakened.

Lockepick

I sent you a PM to get a conversation going on what you would like to allow before the eggs hatch, and after. I'm happy to work within the rules and theme! Even if it means being rather gimped at first level (pre eggs hatching).

Lockepick

Thought I'd ask here to be clear to everybody: I assume Alchemical supplies like Sunrods and the like are not allowed, right?

Lockepick

Got a character sheet set up!

Claude Lian

I'm just going to work on getting a picture, and then creating a tag, then I can post! Hopefully tonight.

Zaer Darkwail

Sorry for delay in replying to you lockepick and ghostwheel, anyways it seems no one else is in this game besides you and ghost it seems :P.

ererruz

Are you still running this game, Zaer Darkwail?

Lockepick

Zaer Darkwail

Aye, going bit slow but it's rolling forward.