Replacement player(s) needed! Legend of the Elements

Started by MadPanda, October 05, 2017, 09:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

So there's this thing I ended up backing a while ago, a game of wild elemental kung-fu action inspired by shows like Avatar: The Last Airbender and Avatar: Legend of Korra, among other sources.  It's called Legend of the Elements and while I've been stumbling a bit running this (30+ years of doing it the Traditional D&D Way leave a bit to unlearn!) it's been a blast!

But into every campaign a few losses must fall and now we need a new player or two, as our Hunter has had to step away from the boards for the foreseeable future, leaving our lovely Earthshaper all by herself...and I'm all in favor of taking the opportunity to hit the big shiny reset button and do this the way I should have done in the first place. I have one replacement player lined up, but I'd like one or two more if it can be arranged.

(This will be a bit slow moving, as this thing called Real Life leaves me mostly posting on the weekends.)

"Doing it the right way" means that there will be a little bit of world-building involved here.  Not a lot, just a little.  Just enough to resolve stuff like "does everybody wanna have to deal with the
Hundred Year Bonehead Law
"Every hundred years or so some knucklehead tries to conquer the world, which means a bunch of heroes need to show up and stop them.  Regular as clockwork.  There ought to be a natural law or something written out about that."
?" and "separate elementally based nations or not?" and "base tech level?" so that we're all on the same page from the outset.

And at the moment, ten of the eleven playbooks are up for grabs!  You can find them free for the download at the game's main site Legend of the Elements.
~ The Airshaper, as flighty as the wind they wield.
~ The Aristocrat, a master of conversation and subtlety.
~ The Earthshaper, a dependable person who controls stone. In play already
~ The Fireshaper, a volatile and passionate controller of flame. Snagged by the Juggtacular One
~ The Hunter, a quiet stalker, exploiting nature or balancing it.
~ The Monk, a calm soul in tune with the world.
~ The Peasant, a hard worker just trying to carve out their place.
~ The Scholar, a genius inventor or brilliant bookworm.
~ The Spiritshaper, a shaman who deals with the Great Unknown.
~ The Warrior, a soldier of great skill or renown.
~ The Watershaper, flowing and adaptable.  Now in play!

Interested?  Feel free to drop by and join the conversation!
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Avalon29

As the aforementioned Earthshaper I wanted to pop in and say hi! Hope you'll come on by and say hello.

ReijiTabibito

I wouldn't have any issue dealing with a centennial anniversary of the previous Bonehead.  As for me...I did like Avatar, but I always thought Korra had more potential, even if they did waste the storylines on mystical Avatar-ness and old grudges from a previous life.  So I'd be more for a Korra tech level.

MadPanda

True--with Korra it was less a "hundred year bonehead law" and more a "every other year bonehead law".  ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

ReijiTabibito

Don't get me wrong.  It was nice to see more Airbenders and see some of the old Gaang in action - but even if you accept that going into Korra, they only thought they would have a single season to work with, the best they could do to come up with an adversary was the family of some criminal that Aang had a hand in dealing justice to?

There's Hatfield & McCoy and then there's that.

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

ReijiTabibito

Honestly, if you want MY take on the Avatarverse?

All their villains suck.  They're good plot vehicles, good people for you to hate (if that's the right phrasing of it), but that's all that they are.

But that's okay.  Because the real story isn't about Good Vs Evil.  From minute one of Boy in the Ice, I always figured the good guys would win the day.  It's not about the victory, about whether or not Good triumphs on this day.

It's about the characters, it's about their character development, about how they grow up as people in time.  That's why (IMO) Zuko is easily the most compelling character - he gets the MOST development out of everyone.  Aang is always the same hero he was from minute 1 to minute final, he just needed to level up.  But the rest?  Not so much.

EDIT: Besides.  Fire Lord Ozai has no pants on.

MadPanda

More or less, yes.  Zuko was more interesting than Aang.

But this?  This is inspired by those series, not slavish copying of them.  There is no overarching plot.  We're playing to find out what happens.  So it's more a question of whether you want to see One Big Bad or something a little broader.

In Memory of Bishrook

Avalon29

Figure I should throw my ideas for the world build questions out there.

Approximate tech: Pretty open on this one as I can see most being interesting. Anything between traditional carriages and swords to something to early/mid industrial revelotion would be good. Maybe some kind of elemental-punk? Something like steam punk but based on element manipulation rather than steam?

Whether elementals are in separate nations/cultures or bloodlines or just generally around: I'd say generally around but with a hint of bloodlines with something like in addition to it being around there's also older families that dedicated themselves to shaping and became famous.

Whether there's one big bad source of opposition or a broader spectrum of problems: I'm leaning a bit more to the broader spectrum of problems  but can go either way.

Juggtacular

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Juggtacular

MadPanda

I will have a replacement story thread up soon. General discussion can go in the ooc thread for now.

In Memory of Bishrook

evilnerf

MadPanda

Welcome aboard!  Okay, that's four.  I think we have enough.

In Memory of Bishrook

ReijiTabibito

I'm still looking over the moves, needless to say, I think this one is going to be the 'plus Sokka' out of the group.

MadPanda

No worries.  You don't all have to be Shapers.  ;D

In Memory of Bishrook