The First Player To
Reach The End Wins

Adventurous Beware:
Do Not Begin Unless You Intend To Finish
The Exciting Consequences Of
The Game Will Vanish Only When
A Player Has Reached Jumanji
And Called Out Its Name

Seeing adverts for the 'new' Jumanji movie made me all nostalgic for the original movie. I watched it the other day and knew I had to try and run it as a group game on here. I'm looking for four people to play the game and I'll be GMing the jungle horrors that your characters will have to face each turn.

You don't need to have seen the movie, or played a system game before, to join in this game. The plot is very simple. Jumanji is a magical board game that conjures a danger from the jungle into the real world on every turn. The gamers have to cope with the consequences they've unleashed whilst trying to finish the game.

This will be a slightly darker version of the game, but still an adventure romp. In the original movie the characters were not overtly violent themselves, preferring to either run away from, or think their way around, problems. I would like to keep it so that the characters are not violent killers in this game, relying more on their smarts, charisma and dumb luck to make their way through the game. The game is the main focus here, sex between characters can happen, but that's up for the players to decide. I won't be writing any NPCs that would participate in any sexual activities, although they can be flirted with to get information out of them. This game will be going in the Light: Human category.

The first and last part of the game will be set in 2017, somewhere in suburban America. The middle part of the game will see all four characters sucked into the jungle of Jumanji, where they have to find a way back to their own world before finishing the game, or be stuck the wrong side of the board forever. The jungle will be partly about surviving in the wooded areas and partly about making their way through a tomb raider type temple ruin where the characters must figure out puzzles and avoid traps in order to escape.

This will be a system game, however I'm more interested in how the characters react than dice rolls in this game, so the system is fairly basic. Each character will have attributes that the players can spend points on, based on their character's personalities. When a character makes an action they will use the points on the closest attribute that reflect the action they're taking, (for example, sneaking around an enemy would use Cunning, whereas bashing down a door would use Strength,) and add that to 1d20. 

I'm thinking of a posting speed of roughly one post per week, however I'm not going to worry if posts take a little longer than that. I'm looking for long-term commitment; it would be wonderful to see the game through right to the end. If someone drops out I am happy to continue running the game with the remaining three players, or two, or even one player, until the game finishes. Or I can advertise for a new player and see if there's anyone willing to jump into the game midway through, if the other players would prefer.

If you would like to be considered to join this game then please post with your interest below. This is not first come first serve. I will pick the four players from whoever posts their interest. There is no character sheet at the moment, as I will be picking based on players who I think will work well together rather than on the characters. I also feel bad when someone puts time into creating a character sheet for a game with limited spaces.

On Hiatus

Lurking

Interested Players:

SithLordOfSnark
Bekah Boo
Nymphadora
Dragongoddess
On Hiatus

SithLordOfSnark

This was one of my favorite movies and I'm hyped for the sequel. I'm in. :)
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Bekah Boo

You have me quite interested ;3
*Giggles in seat*

Nymphadora

I am fairly interested in this!
Though, I have little system experience...
I am fairly familiar with the movie.
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Dragongoddess

Lurking

Welcome everybody! I've added you all to the interested players list.

If you guys have any questions don't hesitate to ask. :-)

QuoteI am fairly interested in this!
Though, I have little system experience...
I am fairly familiar with the movie.

The system will be really simple, so no experience required. ^.^
On Hiatus

Dragongoddess

So you did say you wanted the characters to get through the game without killing everything but I was wondering if a character might be allowed to be head-strong and want to kill everything but for one reason or another winds up not killing everything like even if they tried they would wind up retreating because killing it would be too difficult for them to do on their own or the rest of the group talks them out of it or finds a better way or the group votes against them?

Lurking

Quote from: Dragongoddess on October 05, 2017, 12:58:25 PM
So you did say you wanted the characters to get through the game without killing everything but I was wondering if a character might be allowed to be head-strong and want to kill everything but for one reason or another winds up not killing everything like even if they tried they would wind up retreating because killing it would be too difficult for them to do on their own or the rest of the group talks them out of it or finds a better way or the group votes against them?

That would be totally fine. You could also have said character try to attack things but not actually kill them. Like, in the movie Robin Williams wrestles a lion and a crocodile, but he doesn't actually wound/kill them at all.
On Hiatus

Dragongoddess

Quote from: Panthera on October 05, 2017, 01:09:21 PM
That would be totally fine. You could also have said character try to attack things but not actually kill them. Like, in the movie Robin Williams wrestles a lion and a crocodile, but he doesn't actually wound/kill them at all.
And you just gave me a perfect idea for a character if I get accepted.

Lurking

Quote from: Dragongoddess on October 05, 2017, 01:44:22 PM
And you just gave me a perfect idea for a character if I get accepted.

A lion/crocodile wrestler would be awesome. ^.^
On Hiatus

Dragongoddess

Quote from: Panthera on October 05, 2017, 05:04:39 PM
A lion/crocodile wrestler would be awesome. ^.^
I'm talking about someone who has to learn that they can't approach everything by fighting it head-on all the time.  Like they start off trying to fight everything off but they also can't bring themselves to kill anything no matter their big talk

Lurking

Quote from: Dragongoddess on October 05, 2017, 06:59:31 PM
I'm talking about someone who has to learn that they can't approach everything by fighting it head-on all the time.  Like they start off trying to fight everything off but they also can't bring themselves to kill anything no matter their big talk

That sounds very awesome too. ^.^
On Hiatus

Lurking

It looks like we have our four players! SithLordOfSnark, Bekah Boo, Nymphadora & Dragongoddess, welcome to the game.

I have posted the OOC and the character sheet, so go ahead and post a hi and let everyone know what you're thinking of for your characters.  :-)
On Hiatus