Ex-Jehovahs Witness

Started by Chantarelle, May 18, 2018, 01:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chantarelle

Was just wondering how many of us are out there? I’ve disfellowshipped since 2012 and I still struggle with PTSD and other things, she said ominously. 😜 Look, I don’t want to make this sad or anything I was just curious to see who else was out there like me. I hope I posted this in the right place.
“If all we have is this imagined empty canvas of endless possibility...this potential heaven...then let it be our haven. A place of marriage between two souls desperate to feel something beyond the cruel tedium of real life. If we truly be the masters who dream these dreams then let our innermost desires fuel the adventures we create and the love that we make here, let it all unfold endlessly or for only a brief moment in time but for as long as it breathes let it devour and I will forgive your boldness if you will be so good as to forgive me mine...” ~ Chantarelle

Scribbles

Sorry, I'm not an ex-Jehova witness but any discussion of them always piques my interest, especially since I was pretty much pushed into becoming familiar with the entire chapter in my area. Unlike most, I've always had a really difficult time turning people away or saying "no" in general. Unfortunately, for me, this boiled down to free bible lessons for around TWO hours every time they popped by for a visit! It brings a smile to me now but, at the time, you have no idea how AGONIZING this was.

For what it's worth, while I'm pretty "meh" about the message being delivered, you have to admire the dedication and effort they exert to spread it. Most religious people I know would groan at the thought of wasting a single hour on their faith, never mind an entire day.

Anyway, sorry about going off track, hope you find some people! Not sure if it's incredibly likely though as I think sites like E are pretty much anathema for their sort...
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Missy

Quote from: Scribbles on May 21, 2018, 11:48:55 AMFor what it's worth, while I'm pretty "meh" about the message being delivered, you have to admire the dedication and effort they exert to spread it. Most religious people I know would groan at the thought of wasting a single hour on their faith, never mind an entire day.

Well, fundamentalists aren't ordinary people, fortunately.

Oniya

Let's not use this thread to get judgemental.  The OP said she didn't want to make this sad.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

I know a formerly prominent member of E who has said a few times (in public, too) that she grew up around the JWs community, but she's rarely around anymore.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Chantarelle

Thank you all for the responses. Scribbles, yes, they are if anything, dedicated. I know I was. I’ve been thinking about posting more of my story at some point, see if anyone can relate more to it. I’m just trying to heal and talking about it helps.

Thank you Oniya 🙂

Gaggedlouise thats what I’m talking about we are like ants where there is one there has got to be another. And what about future members yet to register. I’ll find at least one lol
“If all we have is this imagined empty canvas of endless possibility...this potential heaven...then let it be our haven. A place of marriage between two souls desperate to feel something beyond the cruel tedium of real life. If we truly be the masters who dream these dreams then let our innermost desires fuel the adventures we create and the love that we make here, let it all unfold endlessly or for only a brief moment in time but for as long as it breathes let it devour and I will forgive your boldness if you will be so good as to forgive me mine...” ~ Chantarelle

Scribbles

Quote from: Chantarelle on May 21, 2018, 03:37:49 PMI’ve been thinking about posting more of my story at some point, see if anyone can relate more to it. I’m just trying to heal and talking about it helps.

You should! Personally, I've found writing about an issue not only helps relieve the tension a little but can also allow you to gain some perspective, even if you decide not to post it. Although, I hope you do, it's certainly a POV I wouldn't mind reading!
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Vekseid

Quote from: gaggedLouise on May 21, 2018, 12:48:45 PM
I know a formerly prominent member of E who has said a few times (in public, too) that she grew up around the JWs community, but she's rarely around anymore.

She checks out PROC here every now and then.

Skynet

Not a JW or ex-JW, but while I was at work one of our clients belonged to the faith and sent out pamphlets to all of the employees. It was mixed in with normal business stuff at that. I suppose straightforward advertising is no longer effective, so they're trying to mix things up a bit. ::)

TheHangedOne

Raised Jehovah's Witness, left it after a certain... incident, some time around 1999/2000. My family became atheists. I was an atheist for a long time, then became an Animist.  I have some interesting childhood stories, none of which are particularly pleasant; and that's just the ones I recall.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Cassandra LeMay

Never been a Jehovah's Witness, but I recently learned that our neighbours across the street are JW (they never advertised it in any way). Their daughter, on the other hand, is pretty much non-religious, from what I know. When said daughter recently married (a Muslim man) the whole family had a great, happy celebration without any signs of hard feelings or religion playing any role.  :-)
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Chantarelle

Witnesses use the “family” loophole for alot of things. If there conscience allows it then they can pretty much get away with it unless someone mentions it to the elders.

Mathim

Wasn't raised JW, wasn't even raised that religiously (the joke I make is, I'm glad my mother indoctrinated me the same way she did everything else, that being very half-assedly) so I didn't have the level of brainwashing I seem to observe taking place within the cult. But for everyone who wakes up from it, I breathe a sigh of relief. I'm very happy for you who've escaped.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Chantarelle

Thank you. It’s a struggle, they really seem to handicap psychologically some people.

Mathim

You're welcome. I wouldn't necessarily harp on things like that if they didn't practice indoctrination on children; the content of a dogmatic belief is largely irrelevant most of the time, it's the fact that they're conditioned not to question the beliefs or change their minds that creates the problem, which effectively violates the child's rights. Where is the freedom of religion if the child was never free to choose their own religion (or lack of one) from the very beginning? It becomes somewhat of a paradox that nobody ever seems to comprehend. If a mindset is such that the parents should have the right to raise a child to believe anything they want, by whatever means they wish, but yet at the same time the parent's right to bodily autonomy does not outweigh that of the non-viable fetus, there's an insurmountable inconsistency there and it never seems to be addressed. Maybe that approach might help get the ball rolling on keeping some future children safe from the predatory practices of JWs and other cults. If a ruling could be made in the supreme court that no parent has the right to raise a child to have a particular religious belief because that does indeed violate the rights of the child to freedom of choice in the matter, we might see a dynamic shift in how the entire world works. Too bad it could never be enforced properly even if it did. But then it would be indisputable that the people who practice that have zero moral high ground.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).