Demotivational Speech

Started by OldSchoolGamer, June 09, 2012, 10:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchoolGamer

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/high-school-graduation-speaker-tells-students-not-special-145709954.html

Gotta love this guy.  Getting the next generation of cube-slaves mentally conditioned for their servitude.  No, you're not special.  You're a cog in the industrial machine.  You are no longer a student, but are now a profit and cost center slaving away in cubicle 126-C.  You're not paid to think.  Dreaming is not part of your job description.  Clock in, clock out, for the next four decades that is all you need concern yourself with.  If you're extremely lucky and kiss the right asses repeatedly, you might get the corner office and the trips to Vegas with the hookers and blow.  But don't get your hopes up.  Conform.  Do as you're told.

Caela

Gotta admit, I liked the line, "Astrophysicists tell us the Universe has no center; therefore you cannot be it!"

Listened to the whole thing and the guys doesn't tell them not to dream, not to strive, or to just do what they're told.  In fact he tells them to dream, to strive for extraordinary live and fulfilled lives. His comment about them not being special was really a jibe at modern parents who tend to treat their children as if they are the most extraordinary and perfect beings to ever grace the planet and try to keep their children from ever failing; which often means they often keep their kids from trying in the first place. He tells them to do things because they are things they want to achieve or do, not just to cross them off some list or because it's expected of them.

When listened to in it's entirety, I think it's a great commencement speech!

Beguile's Mistress

As someone who has to deal with the fallout of the people who mentally populate the center of the universe I couldn't agree more with this teacher. 

On the flip side of the coin I hope that every student who disagrees with him goes out and works their ass off to try and prove him wrong.  Imagine how much better our world would be if instead of feeling entitled people could feel accomplished.

Serephino

I do have to agree that when everyone gets a trophy, said trophy is meaningless.  He was basically saying that existing doesn't entitle you to shit.  He's actually telling them not to conform, but if they want to be special, to go out and earn it. 

Churning out cubical slaves is giving everyone a participation trophy.  Telling them that no matter how poorly they do, they are still worth something.  So, should they end up in a crappy, demeaning job, well, they're still special!  There's nothing wrong with underachievement.  Or, worst case scenario, their taught that the world owes them something for breathing. 

All of this coddling to kids' egos isn't doing them any favors.  Yes, losing sucks.  That's life.  When they go out into the real world their are no participation trophies.  You work hard and do your best, or you get trampled on.  Sometimes you still get trampled on, but at least you tried.  Parents better not dare spank their kids, because it instills them with fear (only fear of doing something bad and getting caught... but I digress...)  Life is scary.  No one will cater to you.  No one will stroke your ego.  Out in the real world, unless you have something to offer, you're nothing.

Will

Quote from: Caela on June 09, 2012, 10:25:42 AM
Gotta admit, I liked the line, "Astrophysicists tell us the Universe has no center; therefore you cannot be it!"

Listened to the whole thing and the guys doesn't tell them not to dream, not to strive, or to just do what they're told.  In fact he tells them to dream, to strive for extraordinary live and fulfilled lives. His comment about them not being special was really a jibe at modern parents who tend to treat their children as if they are the most extraordinary and perfect beings to ever grace the planet and try to keep their children from ever failing; which often means they often keep their kids from trying in the first place. He tells them to do things because they are things they want to achieve or do, not just to cross them off some list or because it's expected of them.

When listened to in it's entirety, I think it's a great commencement speech!

Exactly. It's not a "demotivational speech;" it's a dose of reality.  I listened pretty closely, but I'm not sure where the hookers and blow came in.  I'm pretty sure I would have caught that.

It's actually pretty motivational, if you ask me.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Iniquitous

I just finished reading the whole speech and I have to say, I love this teacher! He said what every flipping teen in this country needs to hear. I have dealt with teens that believe that they deserve whatever it is they want without putting any effort into getting it because they are 'special'. Because they believe the world revolves around them. They are not prepared for real life in any sense of the word and they need adults to stand up and tell them 'nope, sorry. You are not special just because.'

I was certainly not raised to believe everything should be handed to me. I had to bust my ass if I wanted recognition for something. If I didn't win the first place Science fair award my parents and teacher told me "try harder.". When I played sports and did not succeed, I was not given a trophy just for being there - I was told "try harder". And it was the failures that made the successes all the sweeter. I worked hard to become the youngest member of the State Show Choir and the youngest member of the show choir to do Queen of the Night aria. If that had just been handed to me it wouldn't have meant anything.

Would be nice if parents and teachers returned to that way of doing things.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Caela

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on June 09, 2012, 09:09:06 PM

<snip>
Would be nice if parents and teachers returned to that way of doing things.

God yes it would! My daughter is only 3.5 and has already been told that she won't win all the time and that Mom isn't going to do something that is perfectly capable just because she doesn't feel like doing it! If she's learning something new I am more than willing to help her, but if it's something she knows how to do herself I just keep telling her NO until she does it.

I really don't get it, what is so damaging about telling a kid to work harder? Why shouldn't they learn early that not everyone can win every time and that if you want to, you need to work for it? Some kids get cut, some get benched, some don't get to play and if you don't want to be that kid that bust your butt to learn the skills that will keep you from being that kid.

/rant

Iniquitous

I'm the same way with my kids. I've never coddled them and told them they can have whatever their heart's desire without them working for it. They hear 'no' more than they hear 'yes' when it comes to things they want. A car? They can work, save money and get a car. I'll help them after they've earned the money and shown that they are willing to work for it. An iphone? They work to buy it. I've told them repeatedly since they started school what will happen to them if they do not do what is needed. I do not lie to them when they do not succeed and tell them that they should have won/received recognition. I ask them what they think they did wrong, have them look at the situation and find the reason for their failure then tell them to try harder next time.

They are honor roll students, they are driven to get what they want and while they may whine from time to time about wanting things the easy way, they know how to get what they want. And they can't stand their classmates who get everything handed to them.

Caela

Mine isn't old enough yet to hear it on quite that level but she hears it in an age appropriate manner and will only continue to hear it as she gets older. I want her to appreciate the things she gets, not just to expect them as if she deserves them simply because she is standing there breathing! :D

Serephino

My boyfriend used to bitch about the teenagers he worked with at McDonalds.  Many of them had mommy and daddy paying for their phones and cars.  The job was just for fun money.  They tried to do as little as possible, and whined when they actually had to work.  They'd buddy up to the managers so if labor rate was too high, they could always be the one to get sent home early.  Of course, the funny as hell part was when they got their paychecks, and whined about how little they got!  Yeah, well, get sent home after only and hour every day you work, and no, you won't get paid much.  You only get paid for the hours you are actually there and working...  They didn't seem to get this simple concept.  We weren't going to complain.  They got sent home when my boyfriend should have been since he started earlier.  Instead, he got the hours, and the money. 

You could tell the general manager was used to dealing with these types of people too.  Her idea of punishment when she got pissy was to give people more hours.  My boyfriend did stuff on purpose to get that particular 'punishment' until she caught on. 

Caela

Teenagers like that drive me NUTS. I admit that my daughter will likely have her phone paid for when she first gets one but that will simply be because there aren't payphones all over like there was when I was a teenager. If there were she wouldn't get a phone at all, she'd get enough change to call home! The phone I give her will be very limited in it's capabilities and will be a pre-paid so it'll be limited in it's minutes as well. If she wants something better she can do the work (either through a job or work in the house, or perhaps helping out at her grandparents) to earn and keep it.

I intend for her to learn that she'll get what she needs from Mom but anything she just wants she is going to have to work for!

Iniquitous

That's how I do it with my kids. Their cell phones are prepaid and they know that if they use all the minutes immediately they will have to wait till the next month to get more. As for the phones they have, they each got a basic cell phone. My son was the one who went out and busted his butt doing odds and ends jobs for neighbors to get the money to buy the type of phone he wanted. Did I hear grumbling because I have an expensive smart phone and theirs were just basic phones? Of course, but I made it clear that if they want an expensive smart phone they can work to get it. Same with a computer/laptop/game systems.

Nothing irks me more than to have to deal with teens whose parents buy them expensive brand new cars, expensive cell phones, all the 'toys' and gadgets they want then pay for the upkeep/bills every month. Hell, my parents made my middle brother and I work to get what we wanted but turned around and pay for my youngest brother's cell, his truck payment and insurance, gas for his truck, tools he needs for a job that he was immediately fired from, etc. The boy doesn't know what it is like to work for anything he wants and now I am sending money to my parents to help them out because they've put themselves in the hole trying to take care of him and he either doesn't realize or doesn't care that he is putting them (and me since I have to cut my budget to send them money) into financial trouble.

RubySlippers

I get odd looks when people ,since I'm clearly disabled, find out I'm not on any government assistance nor want to be on it since I can always find some way to earn money that is honest work even if off the books money its earned. My parents put me up for rent which is low and I help with the bills, save something and have the rest to spend but I have a reason being disabled for some family consideration. And I do the best I can.

But everything I have is mine I paid for what I want, practice thrift and do without for example I need a power wheelchair so buy those used but don't need a cell phone so don't have one.

I see this mentality noted in the OP in even getting funds for school and private charity if a soccer team needs uniforms and money they beg in front of stores, they don't work for it or sell things they made just have their hands out. This when the parents clearly seem to have money for a fancy car, or high end personal electronic device but won't spend something for uniforms and such for their daughters. When I was in school we did a carwash for a club I was in to raise money and I handled the money while the fit students worked at the physical side. But we all worked for the money for the coffers we didn't go out begging for it.

Caela

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 10, 2012, 09:46:05 AM
I get odd looks when people ,since I'm clearly disabled, find out I'm not on any government assistance nor want to be on it since I can always find some way to earn money that is honest work even if off the books money its earned. My parents put me up for rent which is low and I help with the bills, save something and have the rest to spend but I have a reason being disabled for some family consideration. And I do the best I can.

But everything I have is mine I paid for what I want, practice thrift and do without for example I need a power wheelchair so buy those used but don't need a cell phone so don't have one.

I see this mentality noted in the OP in even getting funds for school and private charity if a soccer team needs uniforms and money they beg in front of stores, they don't work for it or sell things they made just have their hands out. This when the parents clearly seem to have money for a fancy car, or high end personal electronic device but won't spend something for uniforms and such for their daughters. When I was in school we did a carwash for a club I was in to raise money and I handled the money while the fit students worked at the physical side. But we all worked for the money for the coffers we didn't go out begging for it.

This is something that irritates me as well. I won't just give kids a handout. If they want one of those they can ask their parents. I will however buy things they have made (even if I just toss it because I have no use for it) or swing through student car washes to help support kids actually trying earn money.

Envious

This isn't a demotivational speech. It's pretty cool. More kids need a dose of reality.