Hunting the cat.

Started by Chrystal, June 30, 2010, 04:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrystal

Kathy Lake smiled as she climbed in through the window of the mansion. This was one of the easiest jobs she's pulled in a long while. The trellis running up to the third floor balcony had been a little shaky but it had supported her weight. The window opened with ease and she was in.

Soft snores came from her left as she tiptoed across the room. Moonlight shining through the open curtains revealed a young woman, not much older than herself, asleep in a tangle of blankets. Kathy shrugged and moved across to the woman's dressing table. A large jewellery box sat on it, closed, but with the key in it. Kathy grinned, and lifted the lid.

This was a mistake, She hadn't seen the key protruding from the side of the box, and as the lid was lifted, the key began to turn and the box began to play misic with strident chimes. Kathy closed the lid again, shutting the noise off, but it was too late.

"Who's there?" The woman in the bed asked sleepily. Kathy shrugged. This wasn't the first time things had gone horribly wrong, and she was more than prepared. The stiletto slid from its sheath in her boot and she crossed the few paces to the bed, nothing more than a dark shadow in her black breeches and shirt. The blade thrust up under the woman's chin, blood spurted and her cry of surprise was stifled before it began.

Kathy wiped the blade on the woman's night gown and re-sheathed it. She shrugged. This was not good, because the hunt for her would intensify now, but she refused to leave empty handed. She took the offending jewellery box, carrying it back to the window where she had dropped her back pack. Back out and scramble back down the creaking trellis, pack on her back. She slipped into the shadows of the rhododendron bushes that lined the house's driveway, the scent of the flowers almost overpowering. Certainly more than enough to fool the bloodhounds now being used by the police.

A quick scurry alongside the driveway to the gate, and out into the lane. Her horse, Nightmare was waiting for her. She jumped on, bareback, and rode off into the night, her long black hair flowing behind her in the wind.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Aviva

*It was as her clock struck six that Annabelle stirred. Her dark blue eyes opening sleepily to seemingly simply stare at the cause of the sound.*

It is already morning?"

*She half mumbled into her pillow , her voice becoming softer as sleep started to over take her once more. Her auburn hair rolling over the pillows and about her face in tangles and knots. Her leg lifting up to curl and wrap about the down cover. Her hands moving to strike off the sound as she remembered it was Saturday. She was due at work by seven. A soft groan escaping her naturally dark lips as she threw her pillow across the room to strike a wall. It knocked down several pictures as it struck it's target. Several heavy thuds hitting the wooden floor as she growled into her other pillow.*

*The relaxed foot that had wrapped about the down cover began to kick it slightly then angrily.*

"Another day with that pompous gent who feels women are lower than the ground he walks on!"

*Only a few seconds later a loud thumping starts to sound fromt he other side of the door.*

"Madam Annabelle you are requested to come to the station promptly. There has been another robbery."

*The intruder gave her no time to respond as she heard the heavu thump, thump, thump of heavy boots strike against the wooden floors outside.*

"I shall also have to chat to Mrs Tepworth about letting them in without informing me first."

*Despite her annoyed words she rose from her bed, quickly stripping, washing and starting to change within minutes. Her hair tied back into a plaitt then rolled up to be discreetly hidden beneath a hat. She dressed in a light, simple blouse, jacket and simple but fasionable skirt that came down to her ankles and flared out slightly to touch the floor. Pulling her shoes on as she ran out of her room door.*

"Another one? So soon? I wonder what he shall make of this one."

*Her voice falling to one of dislike once more. Her lips tightening to a thin line though turned into a warm smile as she found herself outside the station.*

"Domesticated, delicate , weak stomached female. Part five."

Back from a very long break.

On and Offs

Story Ideas

woegman

Edmund Worthington was called the greatest detective of his time, and he wallowed in every bit of the publicity that it garnished him.  Sure, it wasn't the stage, but had it not been said that great actors fooled the theatre, whilst the greatest actors fooled the world?  He was sure that had been said somewhere, by someone rather important.  If not, why, it out to have been.  To be truthful, his memory for such things was dreadful.  Frankly, his memory for all things was less then brilliant.  He scowled at the thought, and reached for his pocket watch.

"Damnable girl," he growled softly, "I've been here a quarter hour already.  Where the devil has she got off to?"

Edmund stalked the lobby of the constabulary with his brow furrowed, his teeth clenched about a pipe.  His stance and demeanor made him look as if in serious, uninterrupted thought, and when had the reputation that he had, that was enough to keep anyone from asking any curious questions while he waited for his secret weapon to arrive.  It did not bother him, the unethical nature of their deal; yes, the girl did the real work in these cases, but without his name, without his stage presence, she would never have been taken seriously as a detective.  That he should get both fame and half the earnings of their cases was but a small price for the grace of his being.  At last, he spotted her outside the station, and he stormed to the door, catching her eye and beckoning her indoors.

Aviva

*A ever so faint smile touched her lips, before moving she slipped hand into a pocket, taking out a simple but chunk pair of glasses. The lenses though did not help her sight as her eyes were fine but it seemed to aid her in keeping her under the radar from any police officers. Often off putting and quite ugly to say the least but they worked to her advantage. She noticed the beckoning a brief moment passing before she pushed the door open and entered the bulding. Though she carried herself well she had to prevent herself walking to eagerly or too aggressively. Her steps almost delicately placed and planned out. After all ..all she was , was his assitant, a pretty face who could write and clean up oh and sometimes do other menial tasks befitted her gender.*

*She puts such thoughts aside before her frustration could peak and her annoyance at such conditions would show. She had wanted this after all. It was the only way to do the work she loved, even if Mr Worthington gained the praise, the trust and the money of the people while she was barely giving a second glance if even at all a first once it was noted she was indeed female.*

*She moved to stand in front of him bowing her head curtly with a light smile.*

"Good morning Detective. I hear there has been another robbery."

On and Offs

Story Ideas

woegman

"Not JUST robbery, my dear Annabelle," Edmund answered loudly, catching the attention of anyone within earshot, "Muuuuurder!"

He was quite pleased with the melodramatic flair with which he spoke the last word, and it was all he could do to keep from smiling and bowing to the shocked and attentive audience of constables and reporters that had entered the room.  He saw a frown of disapproval from the chief inspector - ah, apparently the murder was not yet public knowledge.  Oh well, Edmund thought.  Who better than to make the announcement than he?

"But fear not, my friends.  Edmund Worthington is on the case, and this vile villain shant get too far!"

He paused, leaning over one reporter's pad, and softly added "No, no, that's Worthington, with a 'thing'.  Wor. Thing. ton.  Yes, yes, much better."

"Now, if you all will excuse me, I must speak with my private chronicler," he said, dismissing the crowd, and then turned towards Annabelle, drawing her close.

"Murder!" he rasped softly, and all hints of confidence vanished, "I've never dealt with a murder before!  God, what the blazes are we to do?"

Aviva

*She could barely control herself from bursting into fits of laughter having to remain straight face at Worthington's over acting but managed to control her face to form a look of shock and dismay. One hand rising up to clutch her chest as the reporters and other investgaors looked on in surprise.*

*She managed to bring herself under control properly as he pulled her close.*

"I am sure you shall do as you have done before Worthington , capture the vile villain and send them where they belong."

*The words were muttered and though a edge of sarcasm twisted her voice they sounded to the unknowing ear extremely genuine as she continued her act. Not daring to risk the chance of their deal being guessed at in any way.*

"Shall we be on our way?"

On and Offs

Story Ideas

Chrystal

Kathy woke early Saturday morning, and ate a leisurely breakfast. The morning edition of the paper did not carry any mention of her activities the previous night, but she didn't really expect it to. Nightmare was sleeping off the nights exertions when she went out to check on him. She shrugged, and left him in the stable, then made her way into town. Her clothing was quite different now. A ragged green jacket over a low-cut, frilly bodice, a long flowing skirt made from home-spun weave and hand dyed with various fruit dyes. Her ensemble was completed with a silk head scarf, her only concession to quality, that kept her hair back out of her eyes. She went barefoot, and carried a large wicker basket with her.

Face smeered with grime, she set up her meagre stall outside the police station, where she knew she would overhear gossip and rumour. "Lucky 'eather, me dears?" She asked anyone who happened to glance her way. A few of the more kindly or more superstitious actually bought the sprigs from her, at thrupence a sprig, or five for a shilling.

She didn't see Annabell arrive, but she watched with interest as the heard of Fleet Street's finest raced off, vying for the few hansom cabs around at this early hour, to get back to their offices to break whatever story they had just learned.

"Lady Mitchell, murdered in her bed!" She overheard one reporter say to another. "Apparently her throat was cut from ear to ear!" Kathy resisted the urge to chuckle at the exaggeration. She had done no such thing. A single thrust with the stiletto, through the larynx, and into the brain. And the bitch had probably deserved it too.

"Any idea who did it?" The other asked.

"No, but with Worthington on the case, they'll have the bounder dangling from a rope in no time!"

A uniformed constable noticed her. "'Ere, 'ere, Now then, Ye can't sit there, miss. Ye'll 'ave te move along!"

"Lawks! Sorry off'cer, Oi'll be on me way, Oi will!" She made a show of hobbling off, and disappeared around the corner.

She chuckled as she made her way home. Worthington was a pompous ass, she knew, having crossed swords with him on a few occasions, so to speak. And yet, his success rate in solving cases had gone up lately. She wondered if it might have anything to do with his pretty young assistant.

Back home, she washed her face and feet, changed into clothing more suited to a Victorian lady of leisure, and prepared for her luncheon date with her fence.

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

markjohn510

Sitting comfortably behind his office desk in the basement of his pub, Justin lit a cigar to start of the days proceedings, the cigar was a Cuban, he settled for nothing less, after all being a fence had it's perks. Dressed in a three piece black suit with shining black shoes and sleek black hair, he worked through his latest acquired piece. It was a vase stolen form the royal family of Russia, It bared their mark, an antique indeed. He examined the royal crest as he picked up his magnifying glass and smiled at it's authenticity, settling it down he began to look over his office, admiring the success he had achieved in such  little time, at just 28 he owned his own pub, and an underground black market for illegal goods. He was good at what he did, and word on the street if it's authentic, Justin will buy it, regardless of the strings attached to it, and no one could touch him, even though the police always have an eye on him, his operations remain secret and well disguised, obviously he had a certain amount of support with him, links to the commissioner of police, a few inspectors on payroll, a judge or two here and there. Life was good. He was young, rich and powerful but alone, and that is the way he preferred things, he had a dark side not many were able to witness, because of his mastery at disguise, and his excellent oratory.

As he say pondering over all of these thoughts, he heard a large bang above him, quickly he hid the priceless vase in a secret compartment under his desk and put out his cigar, with one hand he brushed his sleek hair behind his ear and with the other he opened to the door to his office and made his way upstairs, only to be cut off half way by a big man,almost too big to fit in the staircase, almost completely bald and very foul smelling, followed by at least a dozen armed guards, Justin knew exactly who he was and what he was here for, but Justin did not have what the man had come for. "Why hello Igor,what a pleasant surprise,I was just thinking of you" Justin says,lying with complete confidence, Igor grunted in response,"Come come,lets talk in my office" said Justin,making is way back down the stairs,opening his office door and sliding behind his desk into his chair. As the guards followed Igor inside, Igor asked two to accompany him and the rest to wait outside. Igor began to speak, in his deep crackling voice." Do you have it?", Justin sat with complete confidence and stared at Igor in the eye,"First of all how many times do I need to tell you not to barge into here like this? This is my cover up,If you need to meet me, it's to be at the dock after 8pm,what part of it don't you understand?", Igor was not the type of person to take crap from anyone, but for some reason, he bowed in front of Justin's temper, "I'm sorry" he started," but I don't have much time, I need it and I need it fast", Justin ran a hand through his hair again,"My contact is in possession of it, I am to meet up with her in a while,meet me at the docks at 10 with my payment and I will have it ready for you" Justin replied,satisfied, Igor stood up and made his way out,he turned back to Justin,nodded his head and stormed out with his guards. Taking a sigh of relief, Justin took a moment to collect himself, happy with what he had accomplished he checked his watch to see there was half an hour left for his meeting with Kathy, he collected his coat and made his way up to the main floor, lighting another cigar and putting on his hat he saw one of the bartenders socializing with a woman while a customer waited with an empty glass. He put the cigar back inside and in movement of rage grabbed the bartender by his collar with both hands and threw him over the counter onto the wooden floor, he started punching the bartender like mad and no one dare interfere, they just watched as the poor bartender got the beat down of his life,when Justin finally caught his presence back, he saw the bartender lying semi conscious in a pool of his own blood and two teeth, he let go of him and said in a cold voice that chilled the room,"next time think of the customer first before you think your free to mingle", he then stood up and went behind the counter,after cleaning his hands with a cloth,he poured beer himself into the customers glass,"sorry bout that,this ones on the house" he said more warmly and cheerfully,with that he took off his ha,ran a hand through his hair,put the hat back on and made his way outside for his meeting.

Chrystal

Kathy sat in the coffee house, waiting impatiently. At last, she spotted Justin's familiar figure ousing towards her. "Ah, there you are. You're late!"

She produced a small cloth bag, that held the contents of the jewelery box she had stolen last night. The box itself was still back at her house and would, over the next day or two, help to heat it.

"The item you requested is there, along with some trinkets and the biggest bloody pearl necklace I've ever seen. Plus I had to kill the bitch, when she woke up. I want extra, because if things get as hot as they did last time I killed, I won't be able to work for a while."

While giving this little speech, in a soft voice that carried across the table to the fence's ears only, she kept her hand firmly on the neck of the bag.

[ooc]Hi Markjohn, nice post. I certainly have no objections to you joining, if the others don't[/ooc]

markjohn510

[ooc]nice to meet you too chrystal, I know Aviva doesn't object either because she gave me the link to this post,all's left is woegman,meanwhile I'll continue[/ooc]

without even the slightest regret, Justin sits down in the vacant seat across Kathy, setting his hat down on the table and taking another cigar,lighting it up calmly as he listens to what Kathy says, once hes done, he feels the cigar go dry, as he lit it for the second time and so he kills it in the ash tray in front of him. Sitting back in his chair he starts,"The kill is on your head,all I asked was to retrieve the item",he takes a pause and runs a hand through his hair,taking the bag from Kathy's hand,Justin inspects the item under the table,checking to see if it is indeed intact,he then pulls out a lighter and burns the gem on the jewelery,to check its authenticity,satisfied he puts it back in the bag and places the bag in his pant pocket. He then collects himself and calls the waiter,who greats him with extreme gratitude,"a scotch on the rocks and whatever the lady wants",Justin says as he turns to Kathy,after she gives her order,Justin speaks again,"the payment will be made in the usual manner,I will have the money delivered to your house in the white briefcases you love",picking up his glass the waiter has just brought,he drinks it in one go and sets it back on the table,"put this and whatever she has on my tab",after tipping the waiter generously,he then stands up and puts his hat back on,he tilts it slightly in Kathy's direction before making his way out again.

Aviva

((OOC: Not quite what I had meant but welcome to the thread. Woegman has no problems with you joining the thread at all.))

On and Offs

Story Ideas

woegman

((OOC: I'm fine with it :)  I won't be able to post until a bit later tonight though, sorry all.))

Chrystal

((OOC: Ah, I was wondering what the form was for OOC posting here! Thanks!))

Kathy sighed. She had tried. Anyway the promised payment for this special item was enough that she wouldn't need to work for a while anyway. Why anyone would be willing to pay such a huge sum for something so trivial, she really couldn't fathom, nor why it should have been hidden inside a secret compartment of the musical jewellery box of Lady Mitchell.

A simple clay doll, not particularly attractive, nor even particularly well made. That's all it was.

Her curiosity was piqued. Kathy regarded herself as a cat-burglar, she subscribed to the theory that, at some time in the distant past, one of her ancestors had been visited by the Egyptian goddess Bastette, who had somehow past on the feline blood... It was pure fantasy, of course, but it amused her.

However, she also knew what curiosity allegedly did to the cat. She sighed. It would be the death of her for sure, some day, but she had the nagging feeling she'd been played, and she didn't like it.

She headed for the public library to do a little investigation of her own.

((OOC: In my experience, RPs like this NEVER go the way intended, unless someone GMs it at keeps a hand firmly on the tiller. Anyone up for a little espionage?))

markjohn510

The doll placed securely in his pocket, Justin headed home,there was still a while before the delivery to Igor was to be made and so Justin decided to take a small nap in his mansion before he would head over to the docks at night,but their was one thing he needed to do first,as he stepped in,he called one of his guards to his room,asking him to wait at the entrance, he quickly took out a beautiful white leather bag and started filling it with money. Once full,he put on the lock,the code to which Kathy knew,as it was the letters of her name. He then handed the briefcase to the guard and asked her to deliver it to Kathy.

Once the guard left, Justin locked the door and took off his coat and tie,resting them on the table beside his bed,taking the doll out of his coat before he did. Opening the buttons to his vest and sliding his his shoes off,he started examining the doll in his hand, the doll had quite a history, it is said to take the ugliness out of a person and give him eternal beauty,while taking the ugliness upon itself,"well it certainly takes ugliness upon itself" Justin thought. For a moment or so he pondered over whether it could be true, but he then got over it thinking he was a businessman and this was a product, he is not interested in a products power,but it's worth, and this product is surely worth a lot to Igor. As he set the doll inside a locked box on his table,the key to which he put in his pant pocket,he smirked at the amount of money he just gave to Kathy, finding it amusing that although it was a huge amount, It was nothing compared to the amount he would be getting from Igor for it. With the same evil grin, Justin dripped off to sleep,making sure to have himself woken up at 9:30 so he could reach the docks on time.

Aviva

*Annabelle's eyes slowly slid about the hall as she listened to the quiet murmurs, the gasps and the general rumor mongering began.*

"Did you hear that she had her throat split open?"

"Really...What did they take?"

"Well no one knows that yet, though one of the first constables at the scene was heard stating such."

*Annabelle shook her head firmly. Well at least there was one bonus to these rumors. They could work to her advantage should these robberies and now killings continue. Her eyes drifted to Detective Worthington at his moment of weakness. Seeing a small not win his hand which had a address on she reached forth and slowly peeled it from his fingers.*

*Looking at the address her eyes narrowed before turning to one of the constables near by. A warm, charming smile touching her lips ever so briefly.*

"Is Worthington's cart ready to go to the scene?"

"That it is Ma'am."

"Thank you.*

*Annabelle nodded her head curtly as she moved to stand behind Worthington. She then stepped aside him she discreetly but firmly delivered a elbow to his ribs towards the doors.*

((Sorry not trying to god mod.))

On and Offs

Story Ideas

woegman

((OOC: Sorry all - got home late last night and was exhausted.  I am, unfortunately, heading out for the long weekend, to be back Tuesday.  Aviva, I totally trust you with Edmund, if you want to post as him till I get back - I just hate keeping y'all on pause!  Sorry!))

Chrystal

Kathy read up on the Mitchells. Lady Sandra Mitchell, the woman she had killed, was supposedly the only child of Earl and Lady Mitchell. Earl Mitchell spent most of his time in the colonies (which made Kathy doubt that Sandra was his only child). Lady Mitchell Snr. spent long periods in the South of France.

Thus Lady Sandra had the family home more or less to herself. Kathy recalled seeing the woman on the social circuit a few times, but had not really liked her. Something odd struck her. In the court circulars, Lady Mitchell Jr. was mentioned frequently, but always as "Currently abroad". In fact, the court circular from last week listed her as "Away for the summer". She clearly had not been.

Kathy shrugged and headed home, in time to receive her payment. She counted the money carefully, nodded then wrote out a receipt as always and passed it to the guard. The briefcase went into a cupboard with several others like it. Justin didn't know, but she made a small amount of money selling them back to the store he bought them from.

She climbed into her carriage and drove to the Mitchell estate. Sure, it was a bit foolhardy, as it almost played into the hands of the police, returning to the scene of her crime, but there was something nagging her and she needed to find out what it was.

Aviva

*The elbow to the ribs seemed to work instantly. Edmond jumping slightly then tapping her hand lightly almost condescendingly.*

"That we should my dear Annabelle. Time to move do stop dawdling. This crime will not solve itself."

*Within moments Edmund was within his carriage getting comfortable on the leather seats. Though as Annabelle tried to lift her foot to take the first step a constable holding the carriage door open promptly closed it on her.*

"I doubt you are required for this part Ma'am. Not the place to be for a lady such as yourself."

*Annabelle scowled slightly at the man though most of it was hidden behind the heavy glasses.*

"Do not worry young man she shall not be seeing anything a young lady should not be. She shall just be helping me in what tasks she is able to."

*The constable paused a moment but opened the door to allow Annabelle in. Once seated Annabelle lifted her right hand to knock on the hard wood surface letting the horseman know all was ready. She heard the snap of the whip as it struck hopefully empty air above the horses heads rather than their flesh with only seconds passing they started their journey to the victims estate.*

*As the noise got louder from outside Annabelle slipped her glasses off and back into there pocket. She sighed quietly before lifting her hand up, her thumb and index finger parting until reaching the bridge of her nose to rub the reddened skin gently. She licked her lips slightly before bringing her gaze to Edmund. Her tone of voice changing dramatically from the gentle, almost subservient tone to demanding and almost aggressive.*

*That was quite the performance back there, though I am not sure all of those within enjoyed the act."

"We both have our parts in this role we play Annabelle. I do mine, you do yours and we both get what we want."

*His tone of voice had also changed dramatically, becoming lower, losing the arrogance and confidence of before.*

"What do we know currently of the case?"

"The woman's name is Lady Sandra Mitchell, married once though he died. She is the only child to Earl and Lady Mitchell or supposedly so at least. Her father was away a lot during her child hood and even now so whether that is actually true no one can say."

"Do we have a inventory yet of what she had on the property?"

"We shall do upon arrival."

"How was she killed?"

"From what I have been told it appears to be a type of blade through her throat though it was not slit open as the rumors go."

"Did she have any businesses of her own and did she have any plans for about this time?"

"No she appears to have been a lady of leisure and rumors do seem to state that she was meant to be away though obviously was not."

"Have you been informed of how the criminal got into the property?"

"So far I have only been told about oneopen window. Appears a trellis led up to the ledge."

"The criminal then would have to have been relatively light in weight unless it has broken."

"The carriage started to slow down then come to a completely stop. By the time the carriage door was being opened once more Annabelle glasses were back in place and she looked like the meek and mild assistant she appeared to be. While Edmund had brought back to the for his extreme talent for acting out his part. Lifting a hand he helped her down.*

*Annabelle looked about the house that she could see as she took her time to smooth and straighten out her skirt. Leaving Edmund to go ahead and start clearing the scene of any remaining constables or busy bodies. She moved to walk about the large mansion, counting the windows, doors and seeing where any other possible ways in were. "

On and Offs

Story Ideas

Aviva

*By the time Edmund beckoned her over she had briefly inspected the only trellis that lead to a open winder. There appeared to be no damage along it. She had also quickly scouted about the garden, sometimes bending on one knee to sniff at the flowers. She approached the mansion slowly as she looked along the ground. Sadly if their criminal had arrived or left by horse there was too many tracks to follow any one in particular as the became muddled with those on the street.*

*She walked up the siars while two constables moved down obviously the ones up until down having been looking after the room where the crime happened. One face pale and sweaty while the others eyes seems slightly glazed over.*

*Her breath caught in her throat slightly as she entered the bedroom. Though the victims body was covered currently the smell, the heat and the bloody patch could not be ignored.*

*Though Edmund seemed to be in far worse condition, standing right next tot he open window. His face contorted slightly;y into a grimace while his cheeks seemed to grow increasingly redder and darker every second that[passed.*

"Do we have a inventory now?"

"That we do."

*He reached into one of his pockets and slipped a piece of paper out, not truly turning to face her as she accepted it gently. The inventory was quite large but a few items were missing. One music box, some jewelery and a family heirloom doll.*

"She lowered the piece of paper to her side as she scanned the room. This room and the rest of the house were very lavish showing welath and to some degree taste. Yet the thief had only taken these items in particular.*

"This crime was not for money."

*She stated simply as she finally started to move toward sthe body. She pulled the sheet down as she chewed her lower lip. Taken int he grim view before slipping a note book and pencil from another pocket she began to make mental notes as well as the physcail. Scribing down what she saw.* 

"She was not killed by the throat either, though witht he amount of blood would be easy to miss. It looks like the blade went up and through her chin. A quite silent and hopefully for this lady a quick death."

*Edmund had started to cough at the window, lifting his hand open to cover his mouth still not truly daring to look into the room any more than he dared.*

"But why kill this one? If the recent spate of robberies are all linked?"

"Maybe the victim woke up, perhaps the criminal accidentally caused the music box to chime."

*Edmund merely nodded his head slightly, even now his flair and confidence leaving him.*

"What makes you think it was not for money?"

"If you look around you will see the answer is very simple. The lady of the house is dead, to our knowledge there is no one here to disturb her and yet the criminal only takes a handful of items. The only problem could of been their transport.*

On and Offs

Story Ideas

Chrystal

Kathy drove her trap into the Mitchell's drive way to be stopped by a uniformed officer. "I say, what is the meaning of this?" She demanded.

"Sorry, milady, but no-one may come or go. This is a crime scene, don't ya know?"

"No I most certainly do not!" Kathy blustered, playing her role to the hilt. "I have an appointment with Lady Mitchell Junior, and I demsnd to be admitted." She snapped her whip at the bay gelding pulling the trap and the horse obediently trotted forwards, leaving the bemused constable blowing his whistle to attract the attention of others nearer the house.

She used the same force of her personality and her right of command on them. A person used to getting her own way, an elemental force of nature, the lowly peelers could not stand before her and were simply blown aside by her determination as she marched into the house. "Lady Sarah?" She called out, loudly. "Lady Sarah? What on earth is going on?"

Aviva

*The sound of the whistle firstly catches her attention as she glances in the windows direction.*

"What is going on...?"

"Look's like someone has come a visiting. Perhaps a preplanned visitor?"

*Annabelle moved towards the stairs as she heard someone yelling. The door slamming behind her as she moves to the top. Her eyes narrowing on the woman at the bottom of the stairs. She moved a couple of stairs down, her right hand moving to grip the banister firmly.*

"Her voice returns to the gentle, calming, reassuring tone.*

"I am sorry Miss but you shall have to wait outside. I am sure one of the officers out side can tell you what has been happening."

*Though she finds the womans call for Sarah a little odd. Her eyes brow rising slightly though hidden between her hat and glasses.*

On and Offs

Story Ideas

Chrystal

Kathy focused her attention on the mousy little woman. There was an instant click of recognition. This was no mousy assistant, but a woman playing a role, as she herself was. She had to hope her acting was good enough. After all, the police were not expecting anyone to come barging in with such bluster, while she herself was expecting to see the woman behind Worthington's sudden success. She had not, however, expected her to be quite so pretty behind the obvious disguise.

Kathy felt her self flushing slightly. She hoped that it would be taken for outrage and not what it really was. "Why Madam, I will do no such thing. I demand to see whoever is in charge here. I demand to speak with Lady Sarah. How dare you invade her home in this way? Where is she?" Kathy turned and opened the door to the day room, "Lady Sarah?" She called.

Aviva

*A ever so faint smile touches her lips as she turns her gaze towards the bed room door. Though there was no joy in what had happened during the night she fell into her role comfortably and with a great element of relish.*

"Detective Edmund Worthington, A lady wishes to speak with you. She is I believe down int he day room. She insists on knowing what happened to Lady Sarah."

*Her tone ever so slightly seemed to draw the name out delicately as the bed room door opened. Edmunds slightly flustered face appeared.*

"Of course, off course my dear Annabelle I shall deal with the woman."

"As he spoke the constables that had been attempting to monitor the property appeared in the front door way.*

"Sorry sir, she got passed us before we could blink. She's a feisty on that one."

"I doubt she is incapable of hearing either."

"Annabelle retorted quietly under her breath just loud enough for Edmund to hear as he marched down the stairs once more his own mask back in place as the role of detective washed over him. He paused as he faced the door way into the day room His gaze giving a brief look over the female to ascertain how well he would have to act before speaking.*

*Though all the while wondering why all of a sudden women were so eager to throw themselves about trying to get into work far beyond them and obviously trouble.*

"It is alright Constables I shall talk with her."

*His tone of voice once more authoritative, calm and decisive.*

"I ask you Ma'am to calm down before I discuss anything with you. Perhaps take a seat."

*Annabelle followed after him, her hat coming visible above and behind his head. Her hands locking in front of her , her fingers entwining as she listened and watched quietly.*

On and Offs

Story Ideas

Chrystal

Kathy was enjoying herself thoroughly. The detective asking her to calm down, she decided, ought to have precisely the opposite effect. "Calm down? What do you mean, calm down?" She all but shreiked. "I'm perfectly calm, thank you, and who might you be, sir?" She stole a glance at the demure looking assistant, her gaze sliding down across the woman's bosom, and she felt herself blush slightly again. She blinked and imagined the girl in a state that brought a deeper flush to her cheeks.

Good, now she looked flustered as well as sounding it. "Are you in charge here? I beseech you sir, tell me what is happening?"

Aviva

"I suggest you sit down Ma'am none the less. If I may ask how well do you know Lady Sarah...Miss?"

*Annabelle fought a smile at the females reactions that appeared quite overly done but perhaps understandable. Though if this was calm she dreaded to find out how the female was to be in the next few minutes when she found out the truth.*

*She continued to watched the woman silently from the hall way ready to step in should it appear a females touch was required. The woman's flaming cheeks catching her attention, she was certainly high strung by all appearances.*

On and Offs

Story Ideas