Science Fiction Civilizations (Interest Check): [MUL]

Started by RegularRaskolnikov, November 16, 2009, 09:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeviantMunster

I'm going to be totally peaceful like *nods* And yes, psionics should be a minor part of the game. *Ponders* And alrighty, no super ever bad race then. Are we going to have a grand Republic thing though? A meeting of different planets?

RegularRaskolnikov

...No. I like to think that we'll evolve beyond war. It does more harm than good. But that's a discussion for other forums.

And yes. Communication and discussion are necessary for order. So I there would probably be a few planets who were united and held councils. Whether or not everyone will join is another matter. I will. I know that much.
I simply did something that I was too stupid to realize I couldn't do.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=79577.0
((ons and offs because I cannot make hide nor hair of this internet sorcery))

ChaoticSky

Quote from: GreenHavok on November 16, 2009, 08:56:40 PM
I'm just wandering how peaceful races are going to survive. It seems like war would be the way to go.
look at us, there are plenty of peaceful countries, they are still about.

and peaceful =/= weak, my friend :p

DeviantMunster

Pfft, nuh uh. Most sci-fi shows and such always show the peaceful like races very advanced, and able to easily take care of their enemies through advanced technology.

ChaoticSky

true, but paradoxical. history shows that war, or the threat there of, greatly accelerate innovation. thusly, a race inclined to peace, would progress slower than a warlike one, though its not like every race starts at the same time, so its a moot point.

though all the races i use are peaceful ^^ *highfive?*

('=/=' means 'not equal'. i meant 'peaceful does not equal weak, my friend', in my post above, which you seem to his misunderstood >_>, guess i should have used !=, but i was trying to be simpler XD)

DeviantMunster

Oooh, right! Sorry, I misunderstood~ Actually, I normally assume the races never started off peaceful, just after hundreds of years of war and technological progression, simply eventually reached a certain state. Plus, with the threat of other races, things such as 'racism' and 'nationality' might eventually disappear, fixing some of those issues.

ChaoticSky

sure, theyd get replaced with actual racism (you know, as in referring to another actual race) and xenophobia

but im a pessimist >_>

Sydonai

ooh! ooh! lemme be the 'all ebil, all magnificent, invincible True Sith Empire that will according to prophecy comes into the galaxy and wiped out all sentient civilizations! ;D' oh wait no...that's the reapers sorry :P

HairyHeretic

I still reckon Babylon 5 is good template. The various races can and do negotitate, but there are times that agreement simply isn't going to be possible. Or you have a racial enemy (NArn / Centauri) where any negotiations are going to be half hearted at best.

There doesn't have to be outirght war though. It's surprising how often 'raiders' can pick a particular target to attack ;)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Crovonovin

I'd love to express my own interest in this.  There's a lot of potential here, and I'd love to be on the ground floor.

RegularRaskolnikov

Absolutely Shihong! I'd love to have you aboard. I'll probably be posting the thread in a few hours from now.

HairyHeretic, I absolutely agree that sometimes negotiations will fail. War will add a bit of excitement to the game. I'm going to play a race that attempts peaceful negotiations first, but there are always going to be warlike races. It's how everyone deals with war that's going to be interesting to me. Every individual person can play this however they want. That was the whole point of this game: To create a society the way you'd want it and run things the way you'd want them to be run....with LASERS!

I like your comment about the raiders. Very devious!

HairyHeretic

I seem to recall it coming up in an episode of B5, where they picked up a Narn controller on a raider mothership, and used that little fact to blackmail G'Kar into doing something.

I really need to sit down and watch B5 again :) If I wanted to put a sneaky hit on someone, I'd have my fleet conducting 'exercises' right on the border to draw their fleet out, then casually mention (via sneaky channels) to some pirate types that, oh hey, all their navy is gone from this sector .. how about that? ;)

Then you sit back and enjoy the show.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Sydonai

RegularRaskolnikov

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=53087.0

I just put up the game. We're using the trait system that Darkling put up. I'll be sending out Messages to all of you, as well.

Ebb

I think this sounds very interesting, and would like to be included.

I'm a little confused as to how the game will work in practice, though. I can see the setup part, given the rules posted. But how do you see it moving on day by day? Could you maybe throw together a sample post that illustrates how you see things working?

For instance, I'm not sure if you're aiming for fairly high-level news bulletin type posts (Tandoori Empire attacks outposts of the Republic of Paneer, with details) or if you're picturing more like having viewpoint characters (maybe similar to Babylon 5 ambassadors) who get together to talk about what's going on and decide how to deal with it.

RegularRaskolnikov

Quote from: Ebb on November 18, 2009, 11:29:10 AM
I think this sounds very interesting, and would like to be included.

I'm a little confused as to how the game will work in practice, though. I can see the setup part, given the rules posted. But how do you see it moving on day by day? Could you maybe throw together a sample post that illustrates how you see things working?

For instance, I'm not sure if you're aiming for fairly high-level news bulletin type posts (Tandoori Empire attacks outposts of the Republic of Paneer, with details) or if you're picturing more like having viewpoint characters (maybe similar to Babylon 5 ambassadors) who get together to talk about what's going on and decide how to deal with it.

That would be the latter. I imagine it would be more like two posts (It can be done any number of ways. You could discuss whatever big project your government is working on, or whatever else your society may be doing, and then roleplay from the perspective of the council representative.

I think that it's really up to player discretion, but I'm not going to tell anyone exactly how to play. I'm only offering up what I would do personally.

ChaoticSky

indeed... your controlling your empire as a whole... but through its people, ie, you control your diplomats, your ship captains... some average nobody whos doing something thatll effect the story, think of it like everyone DMing their own faction if that helps... your controlling a whole race.

ChaoticSky

got my race up, i need a buddy/ally to write into the _______s in my races page ^_^

Crovonovin

I'd offer, but my own race is going to be particularly...odd, to say the least, and wouldn't really fit!

MzNurse

Are you still looking for players? My interest is piqued, and I have several ideas running through my brain.
Mz's O.O   Mz's Downtimes   Story Ideas  Open for a few new rps. PM me.

ChaoticSky

RubySlippers

Question.

What if you want traits not on the lists?

ChaoticSky

well, it depends... there are plenty of... common technologies that everyone can be assumed to have (notice that 'electricity' isnt on there :P) but they are a minor role. if you have a significant Trait in mind, then pitch it here, and Reg can decide if he wants to allow it or not. but keep in mind that if added, its fair game for everyone, not exclusively 'yours'. though adding a bunch of traits all at once probably wouldnt work out, as the entire point is to restrain the players... if anyone and everyone can make races full of invent-a-traits... it would cease to serve any purpose at all. not to mention it would be annoying, since people would have to constantly edit their races if traits were added that they desire as well... it would also create 'incompatibilities' once the RP started, late joiners might want a Trait, that would in turn be unavailable to everyone else, since they have already started playing, making it unfair.

ive seen some games that include a "Special Trait" that each person could make up, unique to their race, but even requiring GM approval, it usually caused problems eventually.

but yeh, its up to Reg, im just very opinionated ^_^

(nice avy btw ^.^)

RubySlippers

Well its a biological one not there: Large Population (due to technology, biology or both the species reproduces fast and well matures to adulthood earlier than the human norm).

I noticed there was nothing for plain old being able to have lots of offspring like species that might have four wombs in the females or something.

Adding in Hypertech Bioengineering for cloning I could have the largest population during war and peace of any known race, a valuable asset when it comes to conflicts and expansion.

ChaoticSky

you dont need a trait for a large, or rapidly reproducing population.

but also keep in mind its not that simple... more people means more soldiers, crewmen and shipbuilders, etc. sure. but it also means you have to train, feed, and manage more people, possibly pay them as well. large nations are more creaky, they have more corruption and bureaucratic red tape, and the overall quality of your personnel would be lower. additionally a larger population means more dissenters, which in turn means they are more likely to form cohesive freedomfighter/terrorist groups, harassing your social order. social Flaws, like Public Outcry, would hit you alot harder.

take for example, modern day China. last time i looked it up, they had more people in their military than the USA has People on its west cost. however, large sections of that military are pooly trained, or using WW1 ear weapons, or both. in recent years, china has been downscaling quite abit, in order to establish standards of training and equipment.

this is mentioned on the nation-sheet under number of planets,
Quote(Somewhere between 1-50 is okay. Any nation over 25 is... creaky, and suffers regional problems, which must be included in the Weaknesses (terrorist groups, revolts, slow reaction to threats, corruption, etc...)