The Salonbox -For Exploration by Discussion

Started by The Great Triangle, May 30, 2008, 12:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Lithos on July 08, 2008, 11:14:24 AM
On quick situations that is not even conscious reaction, so I think that we are veering away from truth here.

I meant I don't use them if I can help it. . .I stop and think.  I don't make snap decisions about people.  You take a piece of a sentence from a whole paragraph and say I'm veering from truth.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Lithos

QuoteI meant I don't use them if I can help it. . .I stop and think.

And in that sentence you at the same time assume that those of us who actually admit that stereotypes exist, and admit that at times they can and sometimes even should be used do not think.

That is pretty big stereotype right there :p
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Sherona

Some stereotypical reactions are fine and helpful. such as moving away from teh man in the alley in a trenchcoat, staring at you.  that is ok. But calling 9-1-1, pulling a gun, or pepperspray and firing at this man, screaming at the top of your lungs "Rape!!" is not ok.

As I said, my main objections are the negative and whollely untrue stereotypes. There was a study, and an experiment, where two equally qualified candidates applied for the same position. One position was Secretary, the other was an high profile -position within a company. The two candidates for the secretary was a leggy Blonde, not dressed slutty but definitely more ...appealing. Her blouse was a hair tight, her skirt just an inch above the knee. The other was a short Brunette, not fat but a bit heavier. Her outfit was a nice pants suite. Both were equally educated and qualified. The Blonde got the job. The same pair applied for a job that is often considered higher level then a secretary, the need for education higher then what a typical secretary needs..again both were equally qualified, but the brunette got the job.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Lithos on July 08, 2008, 11:18:37 AM
And in that sentence you at the same time assume that those of us who actually admit that stereotypes exist, and admit that at times they can and sometimes even should be used do not think.

That is pretty big stereotype right there :p

Now who's putting words in peoples mouths?
Ons and Offs

Lithos

QuoteSome stereotypical reactions are fine and helpful.

What I have been trying to say from the start
--

Sherona

*smiles* Lithos, that was my way of conceding to your point. But I still find that reacting in a negative way to stereotypes is not really a good thing.

Anyways guys, I think this discussion is getting a bit heated. Lets cool down ok?

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Lithos on July 08, 2008, 11:22:18 AM
What I have been trying to say from the start

What I am saying is that you just took what I said completely out of context. . .I never did that, I was reading what you said and replying with what I felt and thought never putting words into your mouth and now I am done.

Ons and Offs

Kathadon

Well lets see I'm a hair under six foot 215 lbs. with broad shoulders and a close cropped hair. I work in a night club bouncing and tending bar. I was in the army and I am in fairly good shape if I say so myself. I wear an earing. My last real nine to five job I was a manager at a oil change store working on cars. I have a goatie. I can drink most folks under the table.

Stereotype: Bad guy.

Now in all honsety. I like art. I love roleplaying games, reading, and writing. I like watching the news and being informed. I read comic books with my sons. I'm a father of three and love going to school functions. (not so much when my oldest tells people that Dadie's job is beating up folks in a bar but...)

My oldest thinks I'm a dork...

Steroetypes ae wrong in almost all cases.

My SO is a great example.

Blonde five foot six and a buck twenty soaking wet. She was a stripper for two years.  She likes to dress rather ...sexier than she should sometimes.

Stereotype: Bad girl/ slut

She is the mother of three kids and runs our house like clockwork. She is a poet. One of the kindest women I know.
She is also one of the best mechanics around. She can fix anything with a motor. She manages a oil change store for seven years now. (I freely admit she knows more about cars than I do.)

But she still has guys ask her every day if she knows what she is doing at work. Some guys even refuse to let her work on their cars.

That is why stereo types are wrong. You should never judge a book by it's cover.*shrugs*

Just my two cents.

My ON'S and OFF'S:

I'll do whatever pleases but I'll bleed 'em in the end.

My BDSM test results.

Lithos

There is definitely no rule to make it so that someone had to dress skanky. But many do. Then it went to talk about stereotypes in general, on there it is only the facts. Stereotypes intepreted brainlessly are dangerous, stereotypes intepreted by living, thinking people can often be useful.

Similarily some stereotypes are more accurate than others, and born from different reasons than others. Usually people can differ the useless variety from more convincing ones. Clumping everything about stereotypes together and preaching about them being wrong (and that is the image I got) is very, very wrong and I will argue against it till I am in grave.
--

Lithos

Food break for me, should be back in some.. 15 - 20 min :)
--

Greenthorn

New Topic:

I'm finding that ever since a few of my stories dropped that I'm having a hard time (and less fun) in Elliquiy.  Anyone else have this kind of an issue?

WyldRanger

I'm kinda in the same boat. It seems like my partners aren't posting to our stories much anymore. It used to be I'd be away and I'd have 3 or 4 games to reply to, but now....  :-\

Sherona

The main reason for Elliquiy is writing, so when stories drop or become slow then it is natural to have less fun. I say just start new stories. Stories evolve, shift and change with te tides.

The Great Triangle

I've just gone and found new partners.  I've managed to find some really good partners, but mostly from having no standards and being willing to entertain just about anything if I can manage my posts.   :)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

HairyHeretic

I think everyone goes through so slow spots. Have a look around the want ads, PM an old partner, see what new and interesting things you can shake loose.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Kalen

I've found that games can come and go... the thing that keeps me here is, I figured out exactly what it is that keeps me coming back.

The writing.

Yes, I have some amazing friends, but for ME, the writing is my main reason for coming to E. 

You have to figure out what it is that captures YOUR interest the most.  Writing?  Socialization?  Something else?

MusicNeverDies

The writing is good, there are a so few people who I will come online to chat with just for the sake of chat, in terms of all onlineness, not just E. When my muse is having issues I am perfectly content to just relax and socialize on E until it sparks up again. So, primarily for the writing- but under certain circumstances the socialization makes this one of my better sites.

Greenthorn

New Topic:

How many of you get involved in the seemingly now heated discussions about politics?  If you are one who does not, how do you feel when you read the threads?

My answer: Not me!  Very rarely will I discuss politics with anyone, preferring not to voice my opinions and concerns on such a heated topic that labels people.  Besides, personally I would just mash the two together to get the perfect candidate to represent the country.

But in all honesty I think that it doesn't matter who is lounging in the White House.  What matters even more is how we (as a country) lounge in our -own- houses.  Do we give a shit about Jimmyjoebob and his failing health enough to...ohhhh I don't know...cook him dinner or help him get to church/other place of his worship?  Or do we sit in our own homes and while eating our steak and potatoes then bitch, moan, and complain about how it's all the president's fault...oh then argue about Jimmyjoebob's religion...cause them <insert religion here> annoy us?

(Disclaimer: This is not directed at anyone and honestly not even totally directed at Elliquiy either.  I watched my own family argue over politics the other day as well.  And please, don't state your affiliation here, let's keep this thread free of that  ;))

Paradox

For the record, I'm a gay black buddhist communist.

Quote from: Greenthorn on September 05, 2008, 07:14:06 AM
And please, don't state your affiliation here, let's keep this thread free of that  ;))

Oh, whoops, sorry.

Actually, I'm none of those things, not that it matters either way.

When I first joined Elliquiy-- before I was even approved-- I spent a lot of time in the political threads to keep myself occupied as I awaited my approval. I quickly found that my viewpoint and opinions are in the minority here. A number of those opinions have changed as a result of my time in the political board. We have a very diverse population on E, so some people will invariably be offended by the statements of some of our other members. For the sake of not being attacked and for the sake of keeping drama to a minimum, I tend to avoid the political threads altogether. I didn't even realize that there were a lot of heated discussions going on in that board lately. Now I'm tempted to go look, but I don't think I will. If I did, I'd probably open my mouth, and that's just asking for trouble.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker