Interest: D&D 3.5 Gestalt (Seeking GM/Group)

Started by PhantomPistoleer, April 26, 2011, 11:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wintercat

3rd Edition materials are usually not approved in games I run, for the sake of keeping things flowing in as much balance as possible. Many 3.0 books were out of balance and I prefer to not set example of how I'd already approved the use of material from them. I have sometimes relented when there's been updated 3.5 material at hand but that's about it.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Kate

I looked at levitation, reverse gravity and telekinesis and getting some that can be at a continual cost for a high level spell was ridiculous (millions gp).

Two items that each create a permanent gusts of wind (60ft surface area - perfect for a schooner's shaped sails which could easily cover this ) which is steady wind of considerable force (50mph)
=> 100,000, this is 1/2 the price but more demanding as these wings would need to be "sailed" - looking a wing area would be disastrous (ie not much has to go wrong for a wing or sail to have issues => Hurting a keel is a lot harder)

The cheaper but more demanding version I like for it is literally a flying ship - ( it is creating its own wings that are being sailed / used to move it up and down when less of a surface area of the sail covers it ). It has a primal grace about sailing, to me its more romantic and would have a true feel about being in a flying ship - not a floating - air-baloony one.

The flying ship would need people always using ropes etc to constantly be adjusting mail sails and wing sails, so it would be a hive of activity and feel more alive (and have more character I think).

Still 200,000 for one that is solid less risky ride (You have me thinking mothership ideas lol :) is interesting to know.
Strange it didn't say how big a ship the keel could manage... on a Galley ? or Single sail boat ?"

(Galley is worth about 30,000)

Still it could be something that could be plot driven.

Not sure if the sell a cloud keel anywhere near me nor have i heard of it, also if they do sell them ? Or how many would  there be?

"Cloud Keel: An invention of djinn on the Elemental
Plane of Air, the cloud keel gives its vessel the ability
to fly at a speed of 40 feet (clumsy). If the vessel is
wind-powered, it can still use its sails if they provide
faster movement than the keel itself.
Caster Level: 17th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item,
fly, wish; Market Price: 200,000 gp; Weight: 1,000 lb."

That means a wish is needed to cast that spell. So its unlikely there are many.
The reason its important is how many ships have these heels ? Is it likely merchants would know of 3 of them or more ?

That heel's price the same cost of having 2 gusts-of-wind flying schooners (on craft which wouldn't be as safe)

Gust of wind apparently can be made permenant ...
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm

I dont understand the rules to work out how much it would cost to have other cast it - for it gives the cost in xp for the caster.

If two of them being cast by the permancy spell is cheaper than 100 000 in total. Would be the cheapest option.

Kate

Actually (some one please check)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm

Using this how much would a brass orb (or whatever) be which gives off permanent gust of wind ?

Wintercat

Cloud Keel seems 3rd edition material, and it was not continued within the pages of the 3.5 books, I'd expect it to show in at least Magic Items Compendium. No such luck though.

As for feats to add wealth to starting up a base, I don't recall any 3.5 feats that do such. There was a feat in 3.0 for those that build a castle, but it was based on -Surrounding Farms, Sponsorship, etc- and unapplicable in this case, plus it had some very strict limits too. On that note, 3.0 book Dungeon Builder's Handbook is not in use in these games, some of the items within that were broken.

Permanent Gust of Wind might be able to blow the sails of a ship, but I doubt it would have the force to carry the tonnage. 1,500 xp to craft the permanent spell to an object it looks, plus the necessary feats and spells.. to get someone to do it for you, I think you'd have to find someone in game to do that, I'd rather you didn't start-off with a flying ship right from the beginning. Not saying I'd outright disallow it, but we'll see.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Muse

Name:      Sachi Brandai
Race:      Human
Class:      Gold Dragon Shaman 6/Sorcererss 6
Height:      5’10”
Weight:   161lbs
Bust:      C
Hair:      Scarlet
Eyes:      Blue/Green

Strength   14   +2
Dexterity   16   +3
Constitution   16   +3
Intelligence   14   +2
Wisdom   10   +0
Charisma   18   +4

HP      72

Armor Class   19   (Mage Armor: Greater: +6   Dexterity +3)

Saving Throws
Fort   5   +3   +1=+9
Refl   2   +3   +1=+6
Will   5   +0   +1=+6

Base Attack   +4   Melee +6   Missile +7

+1 Falchion
--TAB      +7
--Damage   2d4+4+3 Force
--Critical   18X2

Composite Short Bow (From Survival Pouch)
--TAB      +7
--Damage   d6+1+3 Force
--Critical   20X3
--Range   80’?

Feats: 
Martial Weapon Proficiency: Falchion
Improved Familiar
Power Attack
Reserve Feat: Blades of Force

Climb         7 +2      =d20+9
Concentration      8 +3      =d20+11
Heal         8 +0 +3 +2   =d20+13
Knowledge: Arcana   7 +2      =d20 +9
Profession: Sailor   7 +0      =d20 +7
Swim         8 +2      =d20+10

Draconic Adaptation (SU):  Water Breathing at Will
Draconic Presence (EX?): Immune to Paralysis, Sleep, and the Frightful Pressence of Dragons. 
Breath Weapon: 3d6 Fire damage in a 15’ cone.  Reflex save DC 16 for half. 
Touch of Vitality: Heal Wounds 48/Day

Spells: 
L 3
Mage Armor, Greater

L 2
False Life
Wraith Strike

L 1
Critical Strike
Expeditious Retreat, Swift
Jump
Magic Missile

2,350   +1 Falchion
4,100   Armbands of Might
   500   Boots of Landing (Always land on your feet and negate the first 20 feet of falling damage.) 
3,300   Survival Pouch
2.500   Robe of Resistance +1 and Endure Elements
2,000   Field Ration Box

5   Spell Component Pouch
1   Flint and Steel
50   Healer’s Kit

GP   94

Familiar (Augmented 6 Hit Dice Small Air Elemental) 
Name:   Kai
Attributes: 
Strength   10   Dexterity   17   Constitution   10
Intelligence   8   Wisdom   11   Charisma   11

Hit Points:   36

Initiative   +7
Speed (flying)   100’ (Perfect)

AC   20   (+1 Size, +3 Dexterity      +6 Natural)

Saving Throws:  Fort   2+0=d20+2   Refl 3+3=d20+6   Will 2+0=d20+2
--Improved Evasion

Base Attack   +4   Grapple   +0
Attacks: 
Slam      d20+8
Damage   d4
Critical      20X2

Special Attacks:
--Air Mastery
--Whirlwind

Feats: 
Flyby Attack
Improved Initiative
Weapon Finesse
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

I had Sachi grab a field Rations box to minimize the cost of feeding the crew and free up some hold space for goods.  If someone else grabs a few replenishing sources of fresh water, we might be able to do with fewer water barrels as well. 

Phant, unfortunatly neither of my classes are good at spot/listen.  (Go figure.)  Nor do either provide me with many extra skill points to work with. 

I can contribute to medical assistance and work as a diver, though. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Wintercat

Looking good, looking good. We ought to be ready to start soon. We have Muse, PhantomPistoleer and Kate ready for certain, waiting for the others.

We got the bare minimum of players to run at least, I'll wait and see if we get others soon. SomeGuy, abandoneddolly, NicciKotor. If one of them drops out, we got Aether awaiting. Sending a message to ask if NicciKotor wants to play then or no. Haven't seen more than 1 message from her, others I think have been keeping up well.
A&A

Kate

Muse,

I don't we have a decision of which option we are running with, we have to wait for the others to make a decision

btw winter i think your right on the gusts of wind idea not working.
So its that cloud keel thing ... 200, 000 gp (without other magical trimmings - just having it flying alone)

fk.

You could buy over 6 galleys for that.

That's heaps of gold, we are ages away - i don't think my plan is going to a short term thing :(

Kate

Aether

Quote from: Kate on May 04, 2011, 08:32:47 AM
So its that cloud keel thing ... 200, 000 gp (without other magical trimmings - just having it flying alone)

Wintercat just said that that was a third ed item not continued in any of the 3.5 books, Kate, sorry to point out.

The wonderful thing about D&D is that you are only limited by your imagination.  Just create a way to make the ship flight capable using your creativity.  I just had a thought, you could fashion some great set of actual wings for your ship, flapping to get airborne, possibly some form of magic to keep it aloft for some amount of time before you have to recharge or some such.

That may make it more accessible and believable.

Kate

Love the idea of its flying thing being "charged" by lightning.

So it actively seeks electrical stops - with the intention of being struck... which keeps it going for a few weeks or something.

Aether

That could be your battery to keep it running, some great crystal with a spell on it to retain the electricity.

Maybe a gifted group of gnomes could build some wings or use some other flight principle for the ship.

Aether

With your permission, Wintercat, I would like to start working on my character so i can have it ready to go ^.^

Here is what I was thinking:

Monk/Sorceress

Monk/Rogue

What do we need atm?

Wintercat

Creative approach, especially one pulled in game, is likely to be more successful indeed, and probably even 'cheaper' than buying a method. I have nothing against the earlier ideas, I merely pointed out that the book that the Cloud Keel is from is a 3rd edition book, and its continuation "Magic Item Compendium" which is its 3.5 variant, no longer contains that particular material. I don't really enjoy crushing ideas but using 3.0 material on something can draw people to complain that they want to use their favorite 3.0 thing too, eventually leading to some rather awkward situations.

I still recall a game with a fatespinner that TPK'd the whole party in 4 rounds and walked away with all the treasure, pointing out rules in conflict between 3.0 and 3.5. At least until (DM event) a mighty dragon that had observed the group brought its members to life setting them out on a quest of its own, threatening to 'dismiss' the Resurrection otherwise. The rules-lawyering on that argued the spell cant be dismissed, which the dragon only grinned about.

On a side note, the traitorous Fatespinner couldn't pull his trick on the same day again, so the party found him and gave him what was coming for him.

Ahh, fun times... but still, it was a lesson to not mix 3.0 and 3.5 editions.

Now, about the ship being made somehow flight-capable in the game, I'll be curious to see what you may come up. Getting a dragon to carry the whole ship on its back would be an adventure unto itself (Final Fantasy reference, a cookie to anyone who knows which of the games I'm talking about) but some more accessible methods should be around.

Hmm, we got a bit of arcane power flowing in this group already, but Monk is going to be good in a fight regardless already. Its upto your tastes, the team has more magic than sneaking within it at the moment, but either idea is solid.

I'll wait a bit to see if we get a post from our missing NicciKotor, or no, but if she isn't available anymore then we'll have Aether around.
A&A

SomeGuy

Quote from: Wintercat on May 04, 2011, 08:13:17 AM
Looking good, looking good. We ought to be ready to start soon. We have Muse, PhantomPistoleer and Kate ready for certain, waiting for the others.

Eh? What am I missing? I don't have HP, but I wasn't aware we had settled on a method for generating HP.

Creshnagarine

Hello All,

If your grouping could use a fighter tank character, I would be willing to play such a character.

Your Friend,

Creshnagarine
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.  ~Ray Bradbury

Sworn to the Oath of The Drake.

My Introduction -  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=70192.0

Current projects -
A Dark Path to a New Kingdom (Creshnagarine and LadyNox) - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=184564.msg8873061#msg8873061

Wintercat

Ahh, Right, that never got all the votes either. Hmm, I would like to actually put the 'Upper Half' rolls, so you can at worst get a bit over half the HP for that level. For mages, that is automatic 3 out of 4. For Barbarians, 7/12.

Anyway, any other questions left? And SomeGuy, sorry I was looking back at who had handed over sheets and who had not and seem to have posted the list short of your own there, my mistake on that part.

Still waiting to hear from 2 people though.

Also, it appears the game will follow the Story A, so a lot of islands are ahead.

@Creshnagarine
We got a limit of 6 players, currently we have 7 applicants, you'd be the 8th. In case 2 players quit suddenly, I'll give you a word but other than that I am a fraid I am going to have to tell you the game is already full.
A&A

Aether

Starting moneys?

How are we rolling stats?

I will go with a LN Monk/Rogue and try going for something different, possibly a trap and ranged expert.  Also, I really wanted to get some levels of Drunken Master if you are okay with that, Wintercat.  I really want stagger  ^.^

Wintercat

Level: 6
Gestalt Rule: Players can combine 2 classes as per Gestalt rules, at level 1. The further levels must always contain at least -1- class from the original pairing, but alternate class or multiclass can replace the other class's position in the gestalt. The maximum number of different classes for 1 character is 4, to prevent utter chaos.
Ability Scores: All abilities start at 10, and you can divide 28 points among them. 11 through 16 costs 1 point per increase, the final 2 ability increases cost 2 ability points per increase. So, Ability score of 16 costs 6 points, and 18 costs 10 points. Racial ability modifiers follow after, and you get +1 Ability Point for Level 4 ability increase.
Starting Wealth: All characters possess a total wealth of 15,000 gold pieces. This is 2,000 gold pieces more than standard adventurer for the level would have, but I believe it should go along with their more-than-average abilities to have also acquired a little more rewards. No single item can cost more than 7,500 gold pieces however, or you have to check it with me first and have some very convincing reason how you have come across something that costly.
Experience: All players begin at 15,000 xp, and need 21,000 xp for their next level up.
Crafting Magic Items: Negotiable, but character will acquire 'XP debt' they have to pay before they will begin acquiring experience, lagging them behind others. I wont drop their level for this, but will lay down this penalty. Likewise, the 'XP debt' has a maximum of 1,000 experience spent on crafting some items.

A&A

Aether

I can not tell if this class, the Dragon Blood Sorcerer, is a home brew or is an official prestige class.

Wintercat.

Would you let me go 6 Monk :: 5 Sorceress / 1 Gold Dragon Blood Sorceress?

PhantomPistoleer

Aether, the GM already listed what was available in terms of sources from materials.  Why don't you pick a prestige class out of them?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Aether

Thats what I was asking, actually, I did not know if 3.5 wiki was source material or not.

If I read your reply correctly, I think I should be good with going 5 Monk / 1 Drunken Master :: 6 Sorcereress.

Am I good now?

Aether

OR...

I could go for a monk/rogue that specializes in traps and ranged combat, as posted previously, no PRCs.

Muse

Quote from: Wintercat on April 28, 2011, 11:40:05 AM

---OK---
Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Warrior
Dragon Magic
Heroes of Battle
Heroes of Horror
Magic Item Compendium
Player's Handbook
Player's Handbook II
Spell Compendium

NicciKotor

Apparantly I got into this game, so whee. What sort of missing classes are we missing in this gestalt epic mess?
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy