Previous topic - Next topic

Red Offerings

art by Alan Aldridge "Helter Skelter"

'Twas then when the Hurdy Gurdy Man
Came     singing     songs     of     love
Then    when   the  Hurdy  Gurdy  Man
Came      singing      songs    of     love

"hurdy gurdy, hurdy gurdy, hurdy gurdy gurdy", he sang

Welcome and come on aboard the Hurdy Gurdy Train! Tickets are limited so be sure to claim yours swiftly!

This is what I am dubbing a circulating Horror themed role play. Each story arc will occur in cycles, with a varying number of people required to join. The fun thing about it is you will get to choose between a differentiating amount of choices and the choice with the highest vote will be the one that's taken. Some of the stories will have violent sexual overtones, meaning non-consensual, however not all of them will, and those overtones will stem from the "killer" not from the participating players. I'm doing it like this because I know many people do not prefer non-con situations and this will give them an opportunity to avoid one story that might be offensive and join one that will be fun.

The current story will be displayed near the bottom of this post. Right now there are stories being offered in the Poll. Be sure to cast a vote for one you'd really like. If you have an idea you'd love to see, PM it to me and it will go on the next available list. Each voting will last for one week. Understand that some of the stories may last several weeks to even a few months. It will just depend. I'm going to list some anticipated Frequently Asked Questions below.

F A Q

Q: Okay, I really love the idea of a horror movie, but what happens if I really like my character? Do they really have to die?

A: I totally understand that. You will need to submit summarized profiles for your character. The only characters that don't get sheets are the killers, though they will appear after a story arc is completed. I am looking for people who can be flexible with the fates of their characters. Not every arc is going to be the same, so it's important to take that into consideration. What I'm saying is that these aren't necessarily all-out killing sprees. This means there is a fair anticipation of at least one or more characters surviving. What's cool about this premise is, if you have a surviving character that was not killed in the arc, you might be able to squeeze them into the next arc, or the one after that as that same character who survived a horrifying experience. Similarly, I will not demand you to create a new character every single time. If you really do like a character and even if they were killed in a story arc, you can bring them back, fresh and new (like hitting Restart) in another arc.

Q: What about participation? How often am I expected to post?

A: I'm going to ask for a post at least twice a week. Real life happens so if anything pops up that will prevent you from posting for a week, just shoot me a message. I don't need to know your business, just tell me something's come up and when you expect to be back. People who poof for more than a week without notifying me might find their character a hapless victim!

Q: Who's going to play "the killer"?

A: Right now, just me. But if you want to try your hand as one and you think you have the time to do it, PM me. Just know that "killers" are expected to try to post a little bit more than the average. Though it does not need to happen daily!

Q: Got any post quality/quantity requirements?

A: Sure do! Participants should post 2 or more paragraphs per post. Paragraphs should be proofed for grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors. Perfection is not required and I won't breath down your neck unless I see you're giving people mere sentences.

Q: How will these scenarios go?

A: Once a voting period is completed and the "winning" scenario is chosen, I will place the character profile template and give you any specifics I need (ie: Looking for babysitters, college folks, artists in a community, etc.). You'll fill out your character profile sheet and PM it to me utilizing the name of the scenario as the Subject of the PM. I'll have a character thread, you'll post your character thread using the color coding that I label. You'll also use this same post to post any characters you make for other arcs under different colors. Then, I'll create the IC thread under the appropriate forum (which will be different for every arc) and set the setting up for you. There'll be NPC's that I'll play too. And the fun will begin!

Q: How many people are you looking for with each "arc"?

A: That depends on the arc! Some I may only need two players, others might do best with 5-6. It will just depend. If several people try to apply for a story arc that only has a couple of slots, I might repeat the arc, based off of popularity for them to participate in the next go-round.

Please vote and please feel free to ask questions, make comments, whatever! The poll will be up until Friday! Then I will post the profile template and we will begin roleplaying soon!

Voting is currently closed for this cycle! The winner of the plot selection contest is Haunted Hell House!!

Haunted Hell House

Modern Day, Hollywood Hills, California: Somerset Manor was the aging mansion estate of the late Hollywood starlet, Davina Lovatta. Davina had been a big star in the 1930's and 40's. She had starred in off-genre films during the late 20's and early 30's that didn't immediately grant her fame, but instead grew in popularity after the end of the second World War. She had purchased the enormous mansion at the height of her wealth and shortly after, married the first of six husbands. Ms. Lovatta threw hundreds of parties for Hollywood's rich and famous. After a while they gained a certain level of notoriety and soon numerous stories and rumors began to make their way through the lavish society in Hollywood. They said that it wasn't infrequent to find the hostess holding séances in the nude in her parlor and that afterwards, the participants would proceed to have feverish orgies where they claimed they were at the control of the spirits who they had been communicating with. Of course there were other rumors as well, rumors of drug use and overflowing alcohol use. Members of Hollywood's elite would sometimes stay at the estate for weeks and months at a time. They said Ms. Lovatta's obsession with the afterlife kept growing and growing and that sometimes truly frightening things occurred in the estate. All of the parties came to the end when the hostess herself ended up at the bottom of the grand staircase with her head twisted completely around. The death was ruled a murder plotted by her 6th husband, John Howard Rothschild. Stories flooded the newspaper saying that Rothschild had gone crazy and believed he was a witch hunter and that his wife was a grand sorceress. He went to prison and after that, the estate passed through a few hands who really couldn't afford to maintain it.

However, 5 years ago, the great grandson of John Howard Rothschild (from his first marriage), Eric Deitrich Rothschild purchased the decaying manor and had spent a few cool million in rejuvenating it to its former splendor. It wasn't quite ready yet, but being the showman and entrepreneur that Eric is, he chose to hold a contest. A fantastic scavenger hunt where at least five lucky winners would find a golden ticket and would be the guests of honor for a truly splendid sneak-peak of the unveiling of Somerset Manor. Press were going to be invited and there would be a charming cocktail hour for visitors to mingle. But when the party was over, those five lucky ticket holders would get to stay the night in the main portion of the newly remodeled mansion. The rooms were said to be truly amazing, luxurious, and let's face it, a once in a life-time opportunity. And to top it all off, the guests would be given $20,000 dollars apiece if they stayed the entire night. The catch? The manor is "supposedly" haunted and Eric wants to show the world that this is not the case and that he can turn this lavish mansion into an exclusive Hollywood resort.   

Looking for: Anyone could have found those tickets. It was a huge, huge scavenger hunt that took place all over So.Cal. I will accept up to 6 players, but 5 is all I'm looking for. PM profiles to me with "Haunted Hell House" as the subject. Roles are taken on a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED basis.

Leave the color as black for this one. (Recruiting Closed)

[b]Name:[/b] Character Name
[b]Played By:[/b] User Name
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b] Can be an actual description or picture. Must be a "real" person.
[b]Little Somethin'-Somethin':[/b] Give a little history or description of how your character found their ticket. At least one paragraph will suffice, you can do more if you want.
[b]Behind the Looking Glass:[/b] Tell me your character's deepest fears. Can be a list or in paragraph format.
[b]Pain and Gain:[/B] What is your character looking to gain from this unique experience? Give me a paragraph here.
[b]What Lies Beneath:[/b] Here is where you tell me what your character's wildest dreams are. The things that really make them tick.

Lyrics: Hurdy Gurdy Man by Donovan
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Red Offerings

I did a little bit of tweaking with the ideas and added another.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Red Offerings

Quote from: RedPhoenix on July 27, 2015, 11:06:29 AM
It's a fun premise but how would you handle people getting killed? Some people get attached to characters and wouldn't want them hacked up. But then if they are immune there is no fear of the killer. Also I guess this is an interest post. It might be fun to use a group of neighbors who are strangers or maybe even dislike each other before who stick together out of fear of the killer.

That's a great question fellow-Red (in which case you automatically earn 10 cool points), I have brainstormed all day long and I'm actually about to revamp the original post and the general premise which will include explanations for how deaths and survival and carry-over will occur. Stay tuned dear Red friend, stay tuned!

Red Offerings

I have just completely revamped this bad boy! Check out the poll, read the FAQ, and enjoy!

Red Offerings

Quote from: RedPhoenix on July 27, 2015, 10:17:12 PM
Hehe yes always nice to see another Red. :D

I like the new setup. I voted for Sitter Slasher. I've always wanted to be a scream queen. :)

Outstanding! I'm hoping that one will be the "popular" one!

Fetwick

I'm certainly intrigued. I voted for the hotel scenario.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Fetwick on July 27, 2015, 10:35:08 PM
I'm certainly intrigued. I voted for the hotel scenario.

Hah! I saw! Ooo have I got quite the idea for that one!

Fetwick

Red Offerings

Quote from: Fetwick on July 27, 2015, 10:52:23 PM
What does it inquire?

Now, now, I can't give the entire premise out! But I can say that right now it's a debate between a demon infestation or a very sick, sick couple.

Fetwick

Alright! Alright! Just wanted a sneak peek! >:) It's starting to remind me of Until Dawn. Have you heard about that game?

Red Offerings

Quote from: Fetwick on July 27, 2015, 11:11:45 PM
Alright! Alright! Just wanted a sneak peek! >:) It's starting to remind me of Until Dawn. Have you heard about that game?

I just looked into it (I play XBOX not PlayStation), looks pretty epic - like Mass Effect!

Fetwick

Yeah, it's a quick time event based game where you have to act fast. But it also asks you for your fears at the beginning. That might be something fun to employ to the character sheets.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Fetwick on July 27, 2015, 11:18:57 PM
Yeah, it's a quick time event based game where you have to act fast. But it also asks you for your fears at the beginning. That might be something fun to employ to the character sheets.

Oooh, nice premise!

Red Offerings

Vote people! How many choose-your-own-adventures are out there?

Fetwick

Red Offerings

HarleyGirl

I do so like a little sex and fear with my violence.  ;)

Fetwick

Red Offerings

Quote from: HarleyGirl on July 29, 2015, 12:01:04 AM
I do so like a little sex and fear with my violence.  ;)

That is the best combination!

Quote from: RedPhoenix on July 29, 2015, 12:08:34 AM
If we are doing a hotel I call stranded socialite who soooooo can't believe she's stuck with these looooooosers and the audience is relieved when she finally gets stabbed.

Red, I like you more every day! Two for two! Oh my!

Red Offerings

Options that have more than one vote will appear in the next poll. :)

Red Offerings

Fetwick

Also, I like the idea of a sick couple over the demon infestation. If it happens to win and you were on the fence about a choice. That would be my vote.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Fetwick on July 29, 2015, 12:18:19 AM
Also, I like the idea of a sick couple over the demon infestation. If it happens to win and you were on the fence about a choice. That would be my vote.

I am inclined to agree!

HarleyGirl

Quote from: Fetwick on July 29, 2015, 12:06:52 AM
Ooh, did you also vote for hotel?

I did. Who are the hapless folks unlucky enough to hold that keycard...when the hotel only has 5 floors?

Fetwick