News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Interest Check: Legendary Monsters (3.5 DnD)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, November 30, 2014, 01:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sain

Yeah I considered Genzoman version for a while, but I much preferred the color scheme / general mood of this one. Tauric template looks nifty and having hands/upper body could be helpful, but this is already at 12 ECL and I can't really see what the tauric LA is.

e. But... I haven't found any tauric sphinx pictures that would satisfy my requirements for character art. Only thing even close to it has tiger stripes and looks too tribal.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Snake

Tauric is +1 from the way it's written

But i't slimited to animal or beast shapes. though Zaer or the DM can rule it's acceptable if you provide backstory for it.

Zaer Darkwail

I say sphinx tauric does not work. Sphinx pic is also fine to me as it indeed has nice feel for it. Sphinxes are scholar alike and curious of knowledge.

Snake

Give her/him polymorph self as a spell to go humanoid if you need to have hands.

Zaer Darkwail

Or decent pair of feet or humanoid figure ;).

Sain

Paying a feat to get metamorphosis; no regrets.

Kunoichi

Metamorphosis is definitely a good choice for picking up through Expanded Knowledge. ^^ I'm guessing from your talk about being a designer of mazes that your Psion specialty is Shaper?

Sain

Correct. The only thing I'm still wondering for the mythical might part is if item creation feats are worth it at all here since XP isn't really grindable.

Zaer Darkwail

Assume you got unlimited XP expect you cannot spend more than 50% of your gp for any crafted goods (so you could self-craft +10 sword with 100,000gp if you somehow meet CL reqs to craft +10 sword).

indarkestknight

Having the paragon boost to caster level probably helps meet the caster level requirement.  :P

Kunoichi

From what I can tell, the Paragon Creature template only adds to innate spell-like abilities, actually.  Considering what sort of effect a caster-level increase would have on psionic characters, that's probably a good thing. ^^;

Sain

27 points (or potentially more with right feats) to augment your powers with doesn't sound balanced to you :)?

indarkestknight

Well I guess anyone who wants to play a blaster is screwed out of going psionic or evocation. More or less the only viable choices are offensive conjurations that ignore Spell Resistance since we won't be able to bypass anything with caster level 12th.

Kunoichi

It's more that they'll need to invest in ways to boost their caster level.  I'll probably need to invest in some way to boost mine, come to think of it, since I think most Dread Necromancer spells allow spell resistance.

Zaer Darkwail

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp) or Psionics (Sp)
If the base creature has spell-like abilities, it gains +15 to its caster level to use those abilities. A paragon creature also gains the ability to use greater dispel magic, haste, and see invisibility three times per day, even if it did not have spell-like abilities before, at 15th caster level.

So, warlock legendary monster has CL 27. I rule that if warlock gets ways increase their CL it applies to EB also (so if want go arcane blaster then warlock is the prime choice). The other casters have choices to do other stuff with their spells (like pick orb spells, buff spells etc). Or we can rule that above feature also applies to legendary monster's CL with any class with CL (so yeah, Wiz 3/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 6 has CL 24 with arcane&divine spells but knows only 5th level of them).

Kunoichi

I think that it wouldn't apply to Warlock either, actually.  Note that the wording is 'If the base creature has spell-like abilities'. ^^;

I'm alright with it if you want that bonus to apply to other things, but in that case, I think the best option is adding a +15 bonus to checks to overcome spell resistance, rather than directly improving caster level.  Otherwise you get things like psionic characters getting a +15 bonus to their manifester level and being able to manifest the equivalent of epic-level powers, which could lead to problems when the whole point of restricting our spellcasting down to 6th-level spells in the first place was to avoid overpowered spellcasting.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, so no change. Overall your base creature spell-alike abilities (like sphinx symbol spells example) get +15 CL boost. Which can turn some powers quite silly scale (or not).

Kunoichi

Hmm.  Looks like I've got my non-spellcasting side's classes picked out, then.

Dragon Magazine #312 has a Neutral Evil variant Paladin called the Corruptor that fits quite well with my overall theme.  If possible, I'd like to modify that with Complete Champion's Holy Warrior ACF for the Paladin, replacing the spellcasting with a selection of useful bonus feats, which should let the class qualify as a 'Physical Might' class.  Then, I can finish up with a level of Marshal, for the 'Charisma bonus to caster level checks to overcome spell resistance' aura, which should help everyone in the party out immensely.

Does that selection of classes work?

indarkestknight

Notice that under Zaer's houserules, Paladins get all of the Marshal's abilities. That might extend to variant Paladins.

Kunoichi

Oh, nice. ^^ If that's the case, then it simplifies things immensely.

Sain

Vigor for one would have been utterly hilarious with the late interpretation of paragon template (hello nearly 1k temporary hit points). At the moment I'm thinking 2 Monk/10 Warblade for the physical might to get access to proper full attack and to apply that delicious wis to AC.

Kunoichi

Considering all the Warblade abilities that key off of Int, you may find Kung Fu Genius to be a helpful feat. ^^ Int to AC instead of Wis to AC, which will also work well with your Psion levels.

Zaer Darkwail

Yup, paladin and marshal has been combined. Also monk gets full BAB. Hexblade and Soulknife had been combined (soulknife abilities turned into arcane than psionic).

indarkestknight

... It only occurs to me now that invisible stalkers have no inherent means of visually perceiving other invisible stalkers.

H e h.