News:

Main Menu

Deadliest Warrior

Started by Sabby, January 21, 2011, 05:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy

Katana's are razor blades so yeah, they cut all kinds of good things.

Scarie187

I enjoyed this last season more than any but this is definitely a show you take with several grains of salt.

Crazy

There's no doubt that the simulation is a bit arbitrary,  and the results are often a coinflip since the programmers really want to comeup with an unexpected result, but it's a fun and useful thought exercise.

Knight versus Pirate was upsetting,  but it points to the educational value of the show.  It's important to understand that ballistics renders armor useless,  just as Knight versus Ninja showed the value of superior protection.  There's no question a Spartan shield is the ultimate weapon,  any history book will show the superiority of the Roman Phallanx,   if only it could stop bullets.

Spetnaz was the most disputed result,   but the American didn't even notice that he had missed a target,  the Russian missed too,  and paid a few seconds to correct his mistake.  The treching tool did get the shaft, however,  that weapon is a battleaxe.  I think Afghanistan 1984 shows the supremacy of American determination to Russian elitism.

I'm loving the new season.  Vampires versus Zombies brought about the real life smack talk that the show portrays as I passionately maintained that the most impressive list of powers was everything in the face of sheer numbers, but the surprise ending was wholly satisfactory.

In truth the bottom line in any conflict is a question of morale. 90% of casualties occur when one side breaks and runs.  It is the same in modern warfare and ancient warfare.  Courage is the lion of battle.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Sabby on October 09, 2011, 02:02:08 PM
I've yet to see a weapon trump Vlad's sword. I know I'm parroting the show here, but until I see something better, that is one of the best designed weapons I've ever seen. It cut an entire pig in half with almost no resistance, and yeah, that's been done, but only by weapons so heavy they would class as clubs. This thing could be swung several times in one hand.
Knight Vs Pirate, the Knight's Broadsword sheered CLEAN through a pig.  The was no resistance either.  So I'm thinking it's more the class of blade, rather than any specific weapon.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

A curved blade typically slices better than an equally sharp straight blade - something to do with the physics of the contact.  You can press against a sharp edge as long as you don't add in any side-to-side motion, and the curved blade makes it difficult (if not impossible) to avoid that.  This is why the circus performers are able to climb a 'ladder' of sword blades.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 12, 2011, 01:45:28 PM
Knight Vs Pirate, the Knight's Broadsword sheered CLEAN through a pig.  The was no resistance either.  So I'm thinking it's more the class of blade, rather than any specific weapon.

As I said, claymore is a two handed weapon, Vlads sword managed that with a lot smaller and lighter sword.

Chris Brady

It was a one handed broadsword, Sabby.  SLIIIIICE through the piggy.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Sabby

Oh, it was o.o huh... might have to rewatch that episode.

Oniya

I think the difference is that the broadsword is heavier than the curved blades that the samurai and Vlad used.  That contributes to momentum on the pig-slicing.  The curved blades slide along the target, and slices like a paper-cut.

Then you have something like the kukri that's heavy and curved.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Shjade

Fun linguistic trivia: the direct english translation of "kukri" is "fucking hurts."

Srs.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Sabby

What was that weapon that was just a massive straight club with obsidian shards worked into the side? I remember it was enough to behead a horse.

Shjade

Sounds like something Aztec, maybe?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Rinzler

I think they should do a show about Oompa-Loompa vs Munchkin.

Oompa-Loompa would win, hands down. They've got the tech. All the munchkins have got is the militant wing of the Lollipop Guild.

Magic Fingers

I do hope they keep up the fictional characters.  The Spartans from Halo vs the Specters from Mass Effect as the next season's opener?

Though, I'm having a hard time ranking the show higher than Death Battle.

I mean, where else will you see Starscream fight Rainbow Dash?

Jag

Quote from: Sabby on October 14, 2011, 03:05:35 AM
What was that weapon that was just a massive straight club with obsidian shards worked into the side? I remember it was enough to behead a horse.

Wasn't that the Māori Warrior? The Shark Tooth Club.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

Nope - this one.

(Thanks for the wiki link!)

Jag

Quote from: Oniya on October 16, 2011, 06:52:42 PM
Nope - this one.

(Thanks for the wiki link!)

Ah, thank you. ^__^ I knew it was something like that. The Maori Warriors were just the first that popped into my head with a spiky club.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

I had to actually see it to remember.

Sabby

If they do keep up the fictional pairings, I'd love to see Aliens vs Predator, but... that one would be pretty hard to test. Even if theres enough lore out there to get a semi-realistic idea of how a lot of it works, I doubt they could replicate the Predators weapons or the Aliens blood, it would all be just in theory, and without the live tests, you don't really have an episode.

The Halo Spartan that Magic Fingers suggested would actually be a lot easier to do physical tests of. I'd rather put him up against a Terminator though. Just your standard T-800 model. The physical tests would be just as plausible as the Spartan and they're a surprisingly even match up.

Edit. Now that I think about it, the Terminators future weaponry is guna pose a problem if they go that way...

Chris Brady

Cold Heritage

My favourite memory from Pirate vs. Knight was how all of the misfires that they actually showed had no effect at all on determining the deadliness of the pirate's firearms.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Zealously Jaded

I love Spoony ranting about deadliest warrior! George Washington V Napoleon

Sabby

I love Spoony <3 his response to the backlash over his DW game review was great.

RubySlippers

At least we learned Vampires are better than Zombies once and for all.

And that hypothetical ending that the plague of the zombies might have even affect a vampire is silly, they are undead so already pretty dead.

I want to see the match of Howard Holmes verses Jack the Ripper the two most notorious serial killers from America and England to see who is the deadliest warrior.

Also a friend thinks Danel Boone verses Blackbeard would be a good match.

Oniya

Quote from: RubySlippers on October 18, 2011, 08:20:50 AM
I want to see the match of Howard Holmes verses Jack the Ripper the two most notorious serial killers from America and England to see who is the deadliest warrior.

Oooh, I like that.  Although serial killers are not quite face-to-face combatants, so there might be some finagling to do, but I like it.