CthulhuTECH: EVA and HPL s'mored in awesomesauce

Started by NotoriusBEN, January 08, 2012, 02:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotoriusBEN

First off, this is a shameless rip of Rainfall's OP from the Penny-Arcade Forums. She hosted a game back in 2009 that I was unfortunately not a part of, but regardless, I've been feeling the itch to play it again. It is a relatively unknown and possibly dying brand, and its a shame, because CthuluTECH has an awesome universe and book art.

Game Thread:   https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=129887.0
Character Sheet Thread:   https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=129923.0
OOC Thread:   https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=129920.0
Recruitment Thread:   https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=128798.0

Quote from: Rainfall of Penny-Arcade Forums

Critical Failures Presents
CTHULHUTECH: Face Damnation

The world sucks. Everyone knows it.
And that was BEFORE the Migou came to earth and started trying to kill everyone.
Also, it was before fish-men came up out of the sea and dragging people away, sacrificing them as they tried to find their god.
Before the Dead-God was awoken on the Plateau of Leng, and his Cults swept over Asia.

So now the world really sucks. And someone needs to save it, or die trying.

Cthulhutech is a game set in the future, in 2085. Humanity has discovered how to mix arcane principles with technology, and coined the somewhat cliched term 'arcanotech' to describe it. Unfortunately, aliens from a planet just past Pluto, the Migou, decided that they had the copyright, and so decided to invade Earth.

Meanwhile, the stars are almost right, and Cthulhu(yes that Cthulhu) is preparing to rise from the briny deep, so his cultists are searching for R'lyeh and killing a lot of people in the process.

Oh, and Hastur(yes that Hastur) has decided to show up on the Plateau of Leng in Asia, and his monsters and crazed cultists are murdering and raping their way across Asia.

So humanity seems pretty pooched. What do we have going for us?

1. Arcanotech! We've got infinite power sources and we're almost post-scarcity economy. Not quite, but almost. We don't have nanotech, but we can pull some crazy stunt.

2. Giant robots! Yes, that's right. Arcanotech means that we're putting mecha on the battlefield against all the nasties. Of course, they also have giant robots, so it's fair play. All the standard equipment applies. Laser cannons, rocket pods, swords, etc.

3. Even larger robots! The Engel Project decided to fuse our mecha technology with alien beings. Think EVAs and you're pretty much there. Only a few people can pilot these babies, but they trump anything the aliens and monsters can put on the field.

4. Psychic powers, sorcery, and the home field advantage.
Well, we don't really have that last one. But we can pull out dirty tricks, and quite frankly we're holding our own, as you can see from this map just below. It's not easy, but we're alive.
Still, we need some people to save our asses.

Map of the World As It Stands, 2085:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The Rapine Storm are Hastur's guys, the Esoteric Order of Dagon are Cthulhu's (Oh, the EOD *owns* the oceans save certain key inlets and rivers), and the Migou are the aliens. The Nazzadi are space drow and not too important in the grand scheme of things.

Rainfall had 4 ideas for campaigns in CthulhuTECH and all are possible. You could even go down the noir detective road with creepy Eldritch shit thrown in the mix. These are here to get your imaginations going.

Quote from: Rainfall of Penny-Arcade Forums
1. Mecha/Engels
This would be set in China, holding the borders against the Rapine Storm and the Migou simultaneously. It would be pretty action heavy, a grim relentless pace as the soldiers of the NEG try to hold their own against completely absurd forces. Character interaction would be between squadmates and soldiers, trying to hold each other together, since nobody can really take a break for psych treatment when they're in the hottest zone on earth.

2. Soldiers/Technicians
65 miles northwest of Las Vegas lies the old Nevada Hydrogen Bomb test site. It hosted the Weisskopf project, focused on creating tiny wormholes for teleportation. Militarily invaluable research.
Then it exploded, and created 'The Zone.' 160 miles across, it's a circular area of shifting black nothing. Only things come out of it that try to eat people.
So there's an entire mechanized regiment and a few companies of troops there to stop it from eating the entire world. This wouldn't be quite as action-packed as the Mecha game, and it would be a lot about character interaction and possibly stranger goings-on. Still, you'd get to shoot monsters.

3. Tagers
You work for the Eldritch Society. You're fused with an alien beast that lets you fight against the monstrous creatures of the Chrysalis Corporation. The Thousand Masks of Nyarlathotep are hunting you. And, well, you're hunting them. This would be set inside one of the arcologies, Seattle or New York, and be a noir-ish, very grim investigation game. Battles would be deadly, player death would be a distinct possibility. So, y'know, grimdark.

4. GhOST
These are the best of the best. Para-psychics, sorcerers, mutants, and geniuses. They're the people you call when you want a job fucking done. The players are a GhOST team, on assignment to find R'lyeh. Find it before the Esoteric Order of Dagon does, and blow it the hell up. So, y'know, a team of guys going to kill Cthulhu. There's only an entire ocean full of fishmen and Deep Ones and giant sharks and so on to stop them.

Here's a list of the current books for CthulhuTECH. Again, be aware that Wildfire has had trouble with publishers, so what books are available on the market are it. I've waited a long time for Burning Horizons, the 2nd metaplot book, but Im not sure if it will be published at all.

CthulhuTECH Core Rulebook. This book has the meat and potatoes of the system. Pretty much a dash of everything that's possible from Mecha, Tagers, and Cop/OSI agents. It has the character creation rules, and the rules for the combat and skill systems, a few pages devoted to equipment and Mecha from all factions, and Gameseeds for providing stories and hooks.

Vade Mecum. The first companion volume for the Core Rulebook. It has 2 new races (Nazzadi and Human mixed children specifically), jumps head first into para-psychics (the intuitive spellcasters to the hermetic sorcerors) and has loads of Mecha and a few new Tagers.

Unveiled Threats. This is the equipment book of the series. Most, if not all the equipment is street-level, not Mecha sized. New gadgets, sorceries and devices for characters. Also gives insights into Migou and EOD arsenals. (Rapine Storm uses salvaged tech from all sides.)

Ancient Enemies. Delves into the Shadow War between the Tagers (good guys) and the Dhohanoids (evil guys). It has info on yet more tagers and also rules for variant tagers so that no two tagers are exactly the same. Also rules for creating Dhohanoid Characters and stories.

Mortal Remains. Delves into the war against the Migou and the Nazzadi race and how they've faired since breaking from of the Migou influence and joinging Humanity. Stories and hooks for campaigns for and against the Migou, like for the Dhohanoids. Introduces some more Mecha, new vehicles of war, and the Nephilim (Fun-sized Engels). Also rules for creating Migou Characters and stories.

Dark Passions. Explores a few cults and story hooks and their insidious nature within Human Society. Very little game crunch.

Damnation View. A metacampaign book. Takes the CthulhuTECH universe into 2086 with the overall plot and arcs for the year. Operation Juneau is launched. The Rapine Storm surges through China. The Migou have a couple trump cards that they pull. Its a pretty rough year for humanity. It has story hooks and plots for everyone including new Special Service (VICE Squad) Characters.

Burning Horizons. NOT PUBLISHED YET, IF EVER. The second metacampaign book. Takes CthulhuTECH into the year 2087. Talks about the forgotten colonies of the solar system and how they may be Key players in scraping together a stalemate out of fighting the Migou. Humanity tries to take the fight into space for the first time in decades. The Rapine Storm makes inroads through Australia. You should know by now, its another pretty rough year for humanity.

So those are the four gameseeds that Rainfall had as well as brief synopsies of the available books. Personally, Im in the mood for Mecha/Engel action. Fighting the known war against The Rapine Storm, The EOD, and the Migou. Being soldiers and mecha-pilots works, since there is powered armor as well to scale down to trooper levels. Engels though, start out at about 26' and only get bigger from there.

Im gauging interest at the moment, but it'd be neat to resurrect this cool system.

Some pointers to keep in mind:

-This is a deadly system, so play smart. However, there are a lot of anime influences so if you make it sound awesome, I may be in a forgiving mood.
-This game is HP Lovecraftian Horror mixed with Manga and Anime. Insanity is possible, but it is an accepted part of life in this universe. There are tried, true and tested methods and pills to get people back on their feet with healthy outlooks on life.
-It seems weird, but Hope plays a big part in this game. It is still certainly doom and gloom, but if you dont keep hoping for better, its over. Even with swaths of the World being waylaid as the months roll by, humanity has had some spectacular victories... even if they can never told to the public at large...

If you're interested, post in this thread. Hell, if nobody wants to play we can at least talk about this game.

NotoriusBEN

Ok, here's the condensed list of pertinent information for what's been discussed so far to bring new people up to speed and for a quick look for those that'd been here a bit.

We are playing a Mecha/Engel game. That means that players will need to have characters that have emphasises in Mecha or Engel piloting.

CHARACTER CREATION

Follow the Character Creation Design Summary on page 62 of the Core Book.
     35 points to distribute between the Six Attributes.
     20 points to distribute between skills and Assets.
     10 additional points possible to aquire through Drawbacks.
     6 Cheats to spend based on the chart on page 63.

Required Skills for Players.
To be a Mecha Pilot.
     Authority 2 or 3                      (Army Ranking, Higher NCO rank or Lower Officer Rank)   
     Duty 2                                    (The job is a Pilot's life and he's on call 24/7)

To be an Engel Pilot:
     Tenacity of at least 7             (The alien intelligence of an engel is an awesome thing)
     Authority 3                             (You are the Elite of the Mecha Combat Branch of Service, and given the rank of Lieutenant.)
     Duty 3                                    (Being Elite isnt all roses. Counseling and ESI testing take up chunks of your free time.
     Engel Synthesis Interface 1

DISALLOWED ASSESTS AND DRAWBACKS
Here's the List:
Core Book
     Authority 4
     Tager
     Tager: Exceptional   
     Amnesia
     Dark Secret
     Hunted 3+
     Mystically Void
     Outsider Tainted
Vade Mecum
     Zoner
     Shadow Walker
Damnation View
     Secret Services Qualities
Mortal Remains
     Firstborn
     Nephilim Synthesis Interface
     All Migou Qualities
Ancient Enemies
    ONLY Gifted Multitasker MAY BE CHOSEN

Allowable Ages
Allowable XenoMix Ages are 16-19 (per CthuluTECH canon and Elliquiy Rules)
Allowable Whites Ages are 16-18 (per CthuluTECh canon and Elliquiy Rules)

Para-psychics and Sorcery
This is a bit grey. There is a story within one of the game books that mentions that an engel pilot was BENCHED from combat because she developed para-psychic powers. That should be a pretty good indicator that the NEG would like to use gifted Sorcerors and Psychics where their powers are most effective.

-Your powers emanate from you. Your Mecha surrounds you. If you were a Pyro, and you wanted to cast a flame attack, you would only succeed at incinerating the inside of your cockpit, so Environmental Powers are limited in power.
-Somatic Powers only affect you, they do not increase the capability of a multiton warmachine. You'd probably run the risk of damaging the controls from jerking them around so fast.
-Some Manipulative and Sensory powers could work within the mecha, but others require you to be in close proximity to your targets. Any stronger and the NEG would take notice and transfer you to a different service.

If your hellbent on playing a magical tank pilot... submit your character sheet and we'll discuss it. Just be prepared to nix something or have unexpected consequences during gameplay.

Character Sheet

Name/CallSign
Race
Profession
Allegience
Place of Birth
Sex
Flaw
Distinguishing Features

SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES
Reflex
Orgone
Vitality
Actions
Movement (Miles per Hour, Yards per Turn)
   MPH
   Sprint ypt
   Cautions ypt

Drama Points
Experience

Health
        Flesh             
        Light              -  -1 Test Penalty
        Moderate       -  -3 Test Penalty, 1/2 Move, Max 2 Actions, 1/2 Armor
        Serious          -  -6 Test Penalty, Crawl Only, Max 1 Actions, No Armor, Sanity Check
        Death's Door -  Unconscious and Possibly Dieing or in Coma

ATTRIBUTES

Agility                                        .
     Agility Feat
     Athletics
     Armed Fighting
     Criminal
     Dodge
     Fighting
     Pilot
     Stealth
     Thrown Weapons

Intellect
     Intellect Feat
     Archanotechnician R*
     Archanotech Engineering  R*
     Armourer  *
     Bureaucracy
     Business
     Communications  *
     Computers  *
     Culture
     Demolitons  *
     Education
     Engineering  R*
     History
     Larceny  *
     Law Enforcement
     Literacy
     Medicine  R*
     Munitions  *
     Occult  *
     Research
     Savoir-Faire
     Science(Earth)  R*
     Science(Life)  R*
     Science(Physical)  R*
     Security  *
     Streetwise
     Surveillance
     Technician  *

* Professional Skill
R Has Requirements

Presence                                            .
     Presence Feat
     Intimidate
     Misdirect
     Performance
     Persuade
     Seduction

Strength
     Strength Feat

Tenacity
     Tenacity Feat
     Survival

Misc
      Hobbies, Languages,etc.

Specializations

QUALITIES
+-______________________
+-______________________
+-______________________
+-______________________
+-______________________
+-______________________
+-______________________

SPECIAL ABILITIES

INSANITY
     Disorders

COMBAT
Weapon     Dmg     Shots     Rnds     Cal     Rng S/M/L     DAMAGE BONUS

+2 / -  / -2
                                                              Range Bonus

Armor                 Protection
                                    /
                         Trauma / Projectile

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Questions and Answers

Can we have Humans driving Nazzadi mecha?     
Yes, Humans can drive Nazzadi Mecha. I dont see a reason to segregate the military even though some racial tensions are still high in the years following the 1st Arcanotech War.

And are we taking Mecha from all the books that they appear in?  
Yes, all mecha will be available at the start of 2085. I was going to roll out mecha at later dates, but engels require long sync times and yea... pilots get attached to their particular engel. I just dont see them swapping them out with regularity. Id feel violated if someone else used *my* engel.

Can you have a skeleton sheet for us to fill out? Pleeease?  :D
See Above.

So we are going with the mecha thing so would an intelligence type agent being attached to the unit be okay?
Im not going to limit you in your choices save for those assets and drawbacks I've listed. Keep in mind you will be in a Military Environment aboard a Battlecruiser or on the Front-lines for the most part. It could be good to get the rumors aboard the ship, but for the most part information is held pretty tightly and on Need-to-Know. However, the natives in your Op Area would be good sources of information. Just be aware that this is a military campaign. There is some intrigue, but its more 'Band of Brothers' than 'Borne Identity'.

What is the deadline for character sheets?
January 20th, characters NEED to be turned in.
The game thread will be created that weekend.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Marie Reynolds

I would not mind being apart of this. I would cast my vote for tagers. but im not drastically opposed to other options.

Callie Del Noire

I'd jump in but I seem to jinx games so I'll just lurk.

ReijiTabibito

I'm with Muse.  I tried to get a CTech game going here on E...but I seem to jinx myself whenever I commit to running a system group game.

I'm casting my vote for the GhOSTS option, though I will tentatively support the Engels/Mecha options, as well.  No offense meant to the Eldritch Society, but I'm tired of everyone wanting to play a gritty street-level game.  I want some epic action, dammit!

ChaoticSky

Also interested.
For me, Mech/Engel primary, ghost secondary, tagers third.

ShadowFox89

I'm interested. Same order of interest as Darkling above me.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Latooni Subota

Holy crap, a Ctech game? here? Neat! It's a sometimes-complicated system, but damnit, the fluff is awesome.

Sign me up for Tagers or Mecha/Engels.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Callie Del Noire

NotoriusBEN

Alrighty then.

I'll start up something here in the next week or so. Since its a few peoples first choice, a lot of others' second choice, and the rest not against it.

We will play a Mecha/Engel game.

So... to keep in most of the action, people will need to be Mecha and Engel pilots.
The big difference between those two pilot types is flexability. Mecha pilots can switch 'frames pretty easily and choose the right tool for the right job. Engel pilots are pretty much relegated to the one machine/monster due to the ESI chip. We are fighting in 2085 for starters so Nephilim have yet to be fielded. (I probably wont field them because of their volatility).

At the start of the campaign, you will be near Fort Ord, California (just south of San Francisco). Your Mecha Division will be linked with the new battlecruiser, NES Victory. Some of you may be reconstituted forces from other fronts (Anchorage, China, Hawaii, New York) or you may be fresh from basic and the Mecha Academy at Yuma, Arizona. Most of your characters' time will be spent stationed in the Pacific Northwest near the Seattle Arcology, fighting the Migou, but you may be pulled to other hotspots around the Pacific Ring of Fire.

I'll flesh out some details this week, characters dont need to be made yet and you'd be *way* ahead of the curve otherwise. But go ahead and toss out some ideas or suggestions on what you want from the game as well as questions if your confused on certain aspects of it.

One other thing...

My job can become pretty demanding at times. I will endeavor to do much better than my previous two games (probably because I burnt out running TWO games with a heavy work cycle), but I just want to make sure people know about that. I wont drop it like the others, but if we have to stop, we will get to a satisfying conclusion.

ShadowFox89

Hmmm... We will be expecting heavy amphibious combat then?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ReijiTabibito

What he said.  Also, BEN, question.  Can we have Humans driving Nazzadi mecha?  And are we taking Mecha from all the books that they appear in?  There's a couple in Mortal Remains that are tucked away in there...

NotoriusBEN

Yes, Humans can Nazzadi Mecha, and vice versa. I'd doubt the Military is segregated as such even though there are Nazzadi only spec-ops that operate superbly at night.

I was going to have something along the lines of clearing certain mecha for certain missions.
As the characters proved themselves, they'd be able to requisition bigger and badder things.

Engel pilots, since they only have the 'one' thing to drive, Im toying with some ideas too, but not until we shake out a combat or two or if anyone is even interested in them. They already have a lot of combat stamina due to their horrific regen and bestial armament. Keep in mind that if you pick a Saraphim or Chasmal, the enemy will respond in kind. Everyone knows that when you deploy one of these two monsters, some serious shit is going down and nobody is fuckin around.

ReijiTabibito

I'd be interested in driving an Engel.  I'd probably be an Auphan or Malach driver, if I end up doing it.

ShadowFox89

Ben, you are making me tempted to be stomping around a Seraphim....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

Ive always been very fond of the Aral.

...or the Chasmal if we need something heavier/someone else wants a Aral more

Latooni Subota

I'm a girl that loves Engels, especially the lighter ones. Not sure what I'd specifically want, because I need to re-read through them to try and remember which ones I like, but hey. There's time for that :P

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

ShadowFox89

I have in my mind a rather subdued and shy Engel pilot, stomping around in a massive Seraphim Engel declaring how he's going to tear apart any enemy he sees.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Latooni Subota on January 08, 2012, 10:18:53 PM
I'm a girl that loves Engels, especially the lighter ones. Not sure what I'd specifically want, because I need to re-read through them to try and remember which ones I like, but hey. There's time for that :P
As a quick forward; the Aral, Auphan and Tarshish are the smallest Engels. The first is the smallest, and a stealth unit, the second is a (literal) speed demon, and the third is a close combat urban specialist. All three are in the core book.

Muse

Guess you need someone to do the versatile stuff.  :) 

These are two minor charecters from a game I'm running.  (Currently on hold while one of our gals is away.)

I'd like ot play Sean in this game, and if you'd want, i can represent Brandon from time to time to add some flavor. 

Senior Sub-Lieutenant Sean Tavish: Human Mech Pilot
Call Sign: Airbrush
Allegiance: New Earth Government Navy
Sex/Age: Male/23        Height/Weight: 5'11/170lbs
Eyes: Deep Gray           Hair: Copper pony-tail, several inches on top.
Skin: Fair. No facial hair at the moment.
Mech: His favorite is a stealthy mech he calls Kakarembo. 
A pony-tailed redhead of Irish American descent, he works hard, drinks deep, and celebrates with all his heart. The stories he and his sister made up when they were teenagers he now writes graphic novels of, and has sometimes airbrushed his characters onto friend's mechs and planes. 

Petty Officer Brandon Watson: Xenomix Technician
Call Sign:
Allegiance: New Earth Government Navy
Sex/Age: Male/23       Height/Weight: Very skinny.
Eyes: Lavender           Hair: Midnight black, longish, 3” or so.
Skin: Silver-grey, clean shaven.
Young and brilliant, Brandon needs to touch things.  Engines, mechs, people.  He'll fix a new friends car just for the fun of it.  Brandon is innovative.  If crossing a wire to see if it makes something work blows a gasket out, he can always fix it. 

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

NotoriusBEN

I have a pretty good idea of the first campaign arc. I just need to sit down and hash out the overarcing details. Which I can do during nights this week.

I'll have plenty of time over this weekend, so I'll be taking pictures from the book, GoogleMaps and other places to get something looking cool. I'll have something up tonight or tomorrow for what's allowed/disallowed/required of your characters. (Grr. We need a Character Generator like DnD4e).

ShadowFox89

Can you have a skeleton sheet for us to fill out? Pleeease? :D
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ReijiTabibito

If you Google Voidstate, they have on there a free character sheet for CTech to download, print, and fill out.

ShadowFox89

Yeah, except I'm lacking a printer. Doesn't help me too much.......
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Marie Reynolds

So  we are going with the mecha thing so would an intelligence type agent being attached to the unit be okay?

NotoriusBEN

CthulhuTECH Character Sheet
I like this sheet because it breaks everything down and shows all skills related to attributes.
Ok, here is a quick and dirty character sheet that mimics voidstate's sheet. I hope you all can see the stuff between all the hypertext parenthesis stuff.

Name/CallSign
Race
Profession
Allegience
Place of Birth
Sex
Flaw
Distinguishing Features

SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES
Reflex
Orgone
Vitality
Actions
   MPH
   Sprint ypt
   Cautions ypt

Drama Points
Experience

Health
        Flesh             
        Light              -  -1 Test Penalty
        Moderate       -  -3 Test Penalty, 1/2 Move, Max 2 Actions, 1/2 Armor
        Serious          -  -6 Test Penalty, Crawl Only, Max 1 Actions, No Armor, Sanity Check
        Death's Door -  Unconscious and Possibly Dieing or in Coma

ATTRIBUTES

Agility                                        .
     Agility Feat
     Athletics
     Armed Fighting
     Criminal
     Dodge
     Fighting
     Pilot
     Stealth
     Thrown Weapons

Intellect
     Intellect Feat
     Archanotechnician R*
     Archanotech Engineering  R*
     Armourer  *
     Bureaucracy
     Business
     Communications  *
     Computers  *
     Culture
     Demolitons  *
     Education
     Engineering  R*
     History
     Larceny  *
     Law Enforcement
     Literacy
     Medicine  R*
     Munitions  *
     Occult  *
     Research
     Savoir-Faire
     Science(Earth)  R*
     Science(Life)  R*
     Science(Physical)  R*
     Security  *
     Streetwise
     Surveillance
     Technician  *

* Professional Skill
R Has Requirements

Presence                                            .
     Presence Feat
     Intimidate
     Misdirect
     Performance
     Persuade
     Seduction

Strength
     Strength Feat

Tenacity
     Tenacity Feat
     Survival

Misc
      Hobbies, Languages,etc.

Specializations

QUALITIES
+-______________________
+-______________________
+-______________________
+-______________________
+-______________________
+-______________________
+-______________________

SPECIAL ABILITIES

INSANITY
     Disorders

COMBAT
Weapon     Dmg     Shots     Rnds     Cal     Rng S/M/L     DAMAGE BONUS

+2 / -  / -2
                                                              Range Bonus

Armor                 Protection
                                    /
                         Trauma / Projectile

Ok... Lemme answer some questions...

Can we have Humans driving Nazzadi mecha?     
Yes, Humans can drive Nazzadi Mecha. I dont see a reason to segregate the military even though some racial tensions are still high in the years following the 1st Arcanotech War.

And are we taking Mecha from all the books that they appear in?  
Yes, all mecha will be available at the start of 2085. I was going to roll out mecha at later dates, but engels require long sync times and yea... pilots get attached to their particular engel. I just dont see them swapping them out with regularity. Id feel violated if someone else used *my* engel. What are your guys' thoughts to this?

Can you have a skeleton sheet for us to fill out? Pleeease?  :D
See Above.

So we are going with the mecha thing so would an intelligence type agent being attached to the unit be okay?
Im not going to limit you in your choices save for those assets and drawbacks I'll label below. Keep in mind you will be in a Military Environment aboard a Battlecruiser or on the Front-lines for the most part. It could be good to get the rumors aboard the ship, but for the most part information is held pretty tightly and on Need-to-Know. However, the natives in your Op Area would be good sources of information. Just be aware that this is a military campaign. There is some intrigue, but its more 'Band of Brothers' than 'Borne Identity'.

So what qualities are Disallowed?
Here's the List:
Core Book
     Authority 4
     Tager
     Tager: Exceptional
     Amnesia
     Dark Secret
     Hunted 3+
     Mystically Void
     Outsider Tainted
Vade Mecum
     Zoner
     Shadow Walker
Damnation View
     Secret Services Qualities
Mortal Remains
     Firstborn
     Nephilim Synthesis Interface
     All Migou Qualities
Ancient Enemies
    ONLY Gifted Multitasker MAY BE CHOSEN

Allowable XenoMix Ages are 16-19 (per CthuluTECH canon and Elliquiy Rules)
Allowable Whites Ages are 16-18 (per CthuluTECh canon and Elliquiy Rules)

Para-psychics and Sorcery
This is a bit grey. There is a story within one of the game books that mentions that an engel pilot was BENCHED from combat because she developed para-psychic powers. That should be a pretty good indicator that the NEG would like to use gifted Sorcerors and Psychics where their powers are most effective.

Your powers emanate from you. Your Mecha surrounds you. If you were a Pyro, and you wanted to cast a flame attack, you would only succeed at incinerating the inside of your cockpit, so Environmental Powers are limited in power. Somatic Powers only affect you, they do not increase the capability of a multiton warmachine. You'd probably run the risk of damaging the controls from jerking them around so fast. Some Manipulative and Sensory powers could work within the mecha, but others require you to be in close proximity to your targets. Any stronger and the NEG would take notice and transfer you to a different service.

If your hellbent on playing a magical tank pilot... submit your character sheet and we'll discuss it. Just be prepared to nix something or have unexpected consequences during gameplay.

REQUIRED SKILLS
To be an Engel Pilot:
Tenacity of at least 7
Authority 3 (You are the Elite of the Mecha Division)
Duty 3

To be a Mecha Pilot:
Authority 2 or 3 (NCO rank/Officer rank)
Duty 2

Thats all I can think of at the moment. I'll put more up later this week. I need to catch up on stuff for work so I can devote this weekend to getting all my resources for the game up and ready.
[/td][/tr][/table]

ChaoticSky

Well, as for my thoughts, i tend to go in three layers; what the GM wants for the game comes first. Under that, I uphold canon. Third, i include my own views.

Since im sure you can figure out your own thoughts on the matter ben, ill start with the second. Though im abut rusty so feel free to correct me if get this wrong.
Canonically speaking, Engel pilots cannot share Engels. They are a paired set, the implants in the engels brain, and the implants in the humans brain. Its possible for any pilot to move any Engel, but more stressful things, like actual combat, require the dedicated pilot, a generic pilot simply couldnt keep control of it in anything but ideal circumstances. To switch to a new Engel requires a available Engel (a rarity in its self) and invasive brain surgery, first to remove the old implants, and then to add the new ones.
So the idea of 'upgrading' to a better Engel later is practically impossible. the NEG is far more likely to give a new Engel to a newly selected pilot so that they develop a bond and the pilot learns to pilot the specific engel well. taking say, a Malach pilot and putting them in a Seraphim is just asking for problems. If a pilot happens to lose their engel, i could well see them getting priority for a replacement of the same kind, but thats about it. Anything else would have to be a result of extreme and unique circumstances.

As for sorcs and parapsychics, the former are barely trusted and kept under close supervision, i cant see them being made engel pilots. And the latter are invariably more useful elsewhere.

SinXAzgard21

I have access to the core book and so far from what I am reading its pretty bad ass.  When do all the sheets need to be in, I'd like to finish reading the book so as to better understand what I'm jumping into.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

ReijiTabibito

So...do we have a volunteer for what our first Mecha is going to be?  I'm torn between four choices - two Engels and two Nazzadi mecha.  The Nazzadi mecha are on the radar for me because they actually recover more damage per turn than some of the less heavy Engels.

NotoriusBEN

Quote from: Darkling on January 11, 2012, 12:54:43 PM
Well, as for my thoughts, i tend to go in three layers; what the GM wants for the game comes first. Under that, I uphold canon. Third, i include my own views.

Since im sure you can figure out your own thoughts on the matter ben, ill start with the second. Though im abut rusty so feel free to correct me if get this wrong.
Canonically speaking, Engel pilots cannot share Engels. They are a paired set, the implants in the engels brain, and the implants in the humans brain. Its possible for any pilot to move any Engel, but more stressful things, like actual combat, require the dedicated pilot, a generic pilot simply couldnt keep control of it in anything but ideal circumstances. To switch to a new Engel requires a available Engel (a rarity in its self) and invasive brain surgery, first to remove the old implants, and then to add the new ones.
So the idea of 'upgrading' to a better Engel later is practically impossible. the NEG is far more likely to give a new Engel to a newly selected pilot so that they develop a bond and the pilot learns to pilot the specific engel well. taking say, a Malach pilot and putting them in a Seraphim is just asking for problems. If a pilot happens to lose their engel, i could well see them getting priority for a replacement of the same kind, but thats about it. Anything else would have to be a result of extreme and unique circumstances.

As for sorcs and parapsychics, the former are barely trusted and kept under close supervision, i cant see them being made engel pilots. And the latter are invariably more useful elsewhere.

You have the jist of it, Darkling. The nice thing about engels are that they can work in any environment (save the Ish... seriously dont know where to go with that one. Maybe if it moved like a snake I could see it working, and be devastating ambusher in city or jungle environments, with lots of 3D terrain.

Its because of that ESI that pilots develop such intense bonds with 'their engels'. Your the only one that can use it, coupled with the fact that it speaks back to you in its own way, how can you not develop a relationship with it? But yes, I can see as you've said that a particular engel pilot is better suited for certain engels. Case and point, the Aran. The pilot would have more than a few stealth and recon skills, so it's not wise to give him a seraphim.

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 11, 2012, 03:15:38 PM
I have access to the core book and so far from what I am reading its pretty bad ass.  When do all the sheets need to be in, I'd like to finish reading the book so as to better understand what I'm jumping into.

Hard date for character sheets would be Jan 20th. with the game starting very soon after.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on January 11, 2012, 10:06:31 PM
Hard date for character sheets would be Jan 20th. with the game starting very soon after.

Thanks, that is more than enough time to read through it.  And thanks for the sheet and Q&A section.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

ShadowFox89

I think I'll go with a mech pilot, starting off piloting very small power armor and working my way up.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Muse

Name/CallSign:   Lieutenant Sean Tavish/Airbrush
Race:      Human
Profession:   Mech Pilot
Allegience:   NEG Navy
Place of Birth:   Doublin
Sex:      Male
Virtue:      
Flaw:      
Height/Weight: 5'11/170lbs
Mech: Kakarembo: An Eclipse Mech 
A pony-tailed redhead of Irish American descent, he works hard, drinks deep, and celebrates with all his heart. The

stories he and his sister made up when they were

teenagers he now writes graphic novels of, and has sometimes airbrushed his characters onto friend's mechs and planes. 

Atributes: 
7  Agility
6  Intilect
8  Perception
5  Pressence
5  Strength
6  Tenacity

SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES
7   Reflex
11  Orgone
10  Vitality
2   Actions
11 MPH
27 Sprint ypt
6  Cautions ypt

Drama Points   10/10
Experience   0

Health
10-0  Flesh             
10-0  Light              -  -1 Test Penalty
10-0  Moderate       -  -3 Test Penalty, 1/2 Move, Max 2 Actions, 1/2 Armor
10-0  Serious          -  -6 Test Penalty, Crawl Only, Max 1 Actions, No Armor, Sanity Check
10-0  Death's Door -  Unconscious and Possibly Dieing or in Coma

Skills:
Armed Fighting      Adept
Athletics      Novice
Art: Visual      Adept
Education      Novice
Dodge         Adept: Mecha Focus
L. English      Expert
L. Japanese      Student
Literacy:      Adept
Marksman      Adept: Mecha Focus
Observation:      Adept
Pilot:         Adept
Regional Knowlege:   Novice
Stealth         Adept
Support Weapons      Novice
Trivia:         Student

Assets:
(1)   Aluring +1
(3)   Athority
(1)   Effecient Metabolisim (+2)
(2)   Fearless
(1)   Muse: Comics (+2)
(1)   Sexy Voice

Drawbacks: 
(3)   Code:
--I always keep my word. 
--A friend of a friend is my friend and an enemy of my friend is my foe.
--I accept any challenge to single combat. 
--I will protect the downtroden and the needy. 
--I will never turn my back on a friend in need. 
--I will opose the minions of the Old Ones in all their forms. 
(2)   Duty
(1)   Habit: A serious drinker. 
(2)   Intolerance: Poloticians
(2)   Rival

Centyrtech Mark 5 Concealed Armor
CS-44 Enforcer
Kakarembo: Stealth Capable Mech

Sketch Book
Wrist Computer

Cheats Spent: 
4: +8 Skill Points
2: +1 Intilect

NotoriusBEN

Looking good, Muse.

I've been getting some questions regarding the theatre of war that you will be experiencing.

Scuttlebutt around the ship is that after its maiden launch and a limited demonstration for civilians and reporters at Fort Ord, California, you will be sent north to Seattle and then to the frontlines in Canada and Alaska to deal with the Migou there.

The EOD being what they are, and your proximity to the Pacific coastline, you should expect sparing engagements with them, but the Migou are your main concern.

The NES Victory of the 32 Mecha that she can carry, 6 are specialized in aquatic warfare as necessitated by NEG War Doctrine to be prepared for all fronts. But since it is heading to Alaska, it has more Land and Air Based Mecha. The only Engels onboard are those piloted by the players.

Marie Reynolds

Hey Ben  not sure if my question got overlooked but would a Intelligence member of the unit be appropriate?

ChaoticSky

QuoteSo we are going with the mecha thing so would an intelligence type agent being attached to the unit be okay?
Im not going to limit you in your choices save for those assets and drawbacks I'll label below. Keep in mind you will be in a Military Environment aboard a Battlecruiser or on the Front-lines for the most part. It could be good to get the rumors aboard the ship, but for the most part information is held pretty tightly and on Need-to-Know. However, the natives in your Op Area would be good sources of information. Just be aware that this is a military campaign. There is some intrigue, but its more 'Band of Brothers' than 'Borne Identity'.

NotoriusBEN

Tomorrow I'll compile the Q & A and put all pertinent information for character creation in the 2nd post on the front page.

Right now, Im getting my groove on with ChoplifterHD and Dungeons of Dredmoor

Muse

And I'm running my first tabletop C-tech tonight.  (Eldritch Society game.) 

NotoriusBEN

That's a good thing, Muse.

You'll get your hands into the meat of the dice mechanics (kind of wonky, but I like the explosive success chance)

Latooni Subota

I think . . I'm gonna try and build a fire support Engel Pilot, with the good ol' Cherub, if nobody minds. Won't have time to work on much today, but that's why we have weekends!

ShadowFox89

Is it bad that I'm hoping for a giant sword fight with mechs involved? >.>

I'll get the basics for a sheet up today and fiddle around with it.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ReijiTabibito

I'm debating between a handful of different pilot types.  One is an Auphan driver, the tactical recon Engel.  Another flies the Nazzadi Brushfire, the interceptor mecha that's capable of flying faster than anything.  And candidate number three is a Storm driver, for its all-around usefulness.  I've got other choices in the pipeline (such as the Malach), but I'd like to see what people are driving before I decide.

NotoriusBEN

Ok, I've compiled some things on the front page. I'll add some story stuff tonight or tomorrow.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

ShadowFox89

Um... Ben... How do I get my sheet nice and neat like the one in the second post?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

NotoriusBEN

go ahead and use the quote function on the top right of that post.

you'll see a lot of bracketed items for tables tr's and td's which is the hypertext.  Just put your information there next to the suitable listed item. with the underscore lines, just go ahead and write in the particular misc skill or abilities.

ShadowFox89

Okay. I'll post up a Hamshall Engel pilot. She has frequent nightmares about her Engel being a bit... too friendly.  >:)
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  I was potentially going to go with a Malach, but if Fox is covering the Heavy Weapons angle (with the Heavy Weapons Engel :P) then that frees me up a bit...

ShadowFox89

I've even got a personalty down...... I just need to get her statted up and fluff done (such as a name, that always the hardest for me).
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ReijiTabibito

BEN?  Question.  Are we going to be doing anything outside of mecha action?  IE, would skills such as, say, Technician get some mileage in this campaign?

NotoriusBEN

yes, some skills outside of mecha action are a good thing. Even the boys in Band of Brothers did stuff other than shooting during downtime, though we never saw it. Plus, it gives me something to use for hooks and helps you all flesh out your characters.

ReijiTabibito

Also, random system question.  Do the melee weapons onboard armors - like Hyperedge Blades, Mandibles, and Hyperedge Claws - use Fighting or Armed Fighting?

NotoriusBEN

good question, reiji. hrm...

Im probably convoluting this, for mecha using blades is Armed Fighting. I know the whole OSES makes mecha an extension of the human being, but its still a machine.

For engels, using their natural abilities and weapons like claws, mandibles and stingers is just Fighting.

ReijiTabibito

No, actually, that makes a lot of sense to me.  Stuff like the Hyperedge Blades uses Armed Fighting, and 'natural' weapons such as Hyperedge Claws or Tails or Tentacles uses Fighting.  Okay!  I just wanted to know because it might affect what mecha I choose to drive because of my choice of skills.

ShadowFox89

Sheet should be completed, unless you wish for the stats for equipment to be listed as well.

Name: First Lieutenant Ethnia 'Cu Chulainn' ; Race: Human ; Profession: Engel Pilot

Experience: (0 spent, 0 unspent); Cheats 6 (3 spent on +6 skill points, 3 spent on +1 Tenacity); Insanity Points:

Primary Attributes:
Agility: 6, Intelligence: 5, Perception: 6, Presence: 6, Strength: 6, Tenacity: 8

Secondary Attributes:
Actions: 6 (1), Movement: 6 (32/8ypt), Orgone: 11, Reflex: 6, Vitality: 12, Drama Points: 10

Assets: Authority (3), Alluring (1), Eidetic Memory (3), Fast (2), Internal Clock (1)
Drawbacks: Duty (3), Engel Synthesis Interface (1), Short Fuse (2), Ineptitude (2, communications), Nightmares (2)

Skills: (* denotes free skills) (3 cheat for +6 skill points)
Armed Combat: Adept (3 dice)
Athletics: Novice (2 dice)
Fighting: Adept (3 dice)
Dodge: Adept, Engel Focus (3 dice)
Hobby (karaoke): Student (1 dice)
Languages (English): Expert (4 dice)*
Literacy: Novice (2 dice)*
Marksman: Adept, Engel Focus (3 dice)
Observation: Novice (2 dice)
Persuade: Novice (2 dice)
Pilot: Adept (3 dice)
Regional Knowledge: Novice (2 dice)*
Seduction: Novice (2 dice)
Support Weapons: Novice (2 dice)
Trivia: Student (1 dice)

Equipment: Engel Synthesis Interface Implant, Sentrytek Mk-IV, UT-7 Hornet, 2 clips of ammo

Engel: Hamshall 'Bob' (page 105)

Health:
Unhurt 0 | Flesh Wounds 1 to 12 | Light Wounds 13 to 22 | Moderate Wounds 23 to 32 | Serious Wound 33 to 42 | Death’s Door 43 to 52 | Dead 53+

Personality: Ethnia's attitude varies. Most of the time outside of the cockpit, she is quiet and reserved. Thanks to the Chip in her brain, her Engel's own emotions rub off on her. This causes her to act short tempered at times, especially when her Engel hasn't seen action or when there is a chance of a battle. After a battle, she usually has pent up energy and often seeks to get rid of it in a...physical form. This has gotten her in trouble more than once before graduating.

Physical Description: Ethnia has long red hair that reaches down to her shoulders, commonly tied back to keep from falling into her dark green eyes. Her slim frame suggests a weak body, when in fact she is rather muscular under that frame. A mistake that many have made, when they attempt to flirt with her and find themselves looking at the world from a whole new angle.

Background:
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Aoife

Hi! I managed to just get myself approved, and have been following this thread kind of in a creepy stalker fashion in the interest of applying.  I've got an Arcanotechnician/Medic (support personnel) character ready and made up, for those in the field repairs and necessary maintenance.  Is it okay to come in and join?

Name/CallSign: Captain Natalie (Nat) "Bookie" Ashcroft
Race: Human
Profession: Arcanotechnician/Mechanic
Allegience: NEG
Place of Birth: Kansas City, USA
Sex: Female
Virtue: Doggedly Loyal
Flaw: Highly Defensive
Distinguishing Features:  Mercurial Personality

Secondary Attributes:
Actions: 1
Movement: 9mph (22/5 ypt)
Orgone: 14
Reflex: 6
Vitality: 55 (11 per level)
Drama Points: 10

Agility 5 (4 Points)                 
     Agility Feat (Novice)
     Athletics (Student)
     Armed Fighting (Student)
     Criminal
     Dodge (Student)
     Fighting
     Pilot (Student) (AMV-3 Khopesh)
     Stealth (Student)
     Thrown Weapons

Intellect 9 (29 Points)
     Intellect Feat (Expert)
     Arcanotechnician (Novice)
     Arcanotech Engineering (Novice)
     Armourer  *
     Bureaucracy
     Business
     Communications (Student)
     Computers (Novice)
     Culture
     Demolitions  (Student)
     Education (Master) (Focus: Applied Mathematics, Medicine)
     Engineering (Student)
     History
     Language (English) (Expert)
     Larceny  *
     Law Enforcement
     Literacy (Adept)
     Medicine (Novice)
     Munitions (Student)
     Occult  *
     Regional Knowledge (Missouri/Kansas) (Novice)
     Savoir-Faire
     Science(Earth) (Student)
     Science(Life)  (Student)
     Science(Physical) (Adept)
     Security  (Student)
     Streetwise
     Surveillance
     Technician (Adept)

Perception 5 (6 Skill Points)
     Perception Feat (Novice)
     Appraisal
     Artist
     Marksman (Adept)
     Observation (Student)
     Research (Novice)
     Support Weapons (Student)

Presence 4                                           .
     Presence Feat (Novice)
     Intimidate
     Misdirect
     Performance
     Persuade
     Seduction

Strength 5
     Strength Feat (Novice)

Tenacity 8
     Tenacity Feat (Expert)
     Survival

Assets: (5)

Authority: 3
Wealth: 1

Drawbacks: (10)

Big Ego (1) : -1 on all presence related tests
Code (1)     : I will never turn my back on a friend, I will oppose the Old Ones in all their forms
Duty (2)      : Mech Pilot/Mechanic
Manic (2)
Misfit (1)
Oath (2)      : Mission of the Ashcroft Foundation
Watched (3): NEG Top Secret Clearance (Mecha/Engel diagnostics, function maps, blueprints)

Cheat Expenditure: 12 Skill Points

ReijiTabibito

BEN, question for you.  Would you say the Law Enforcement skill allows you to do detective-y things like solve mysteries and things like that?

ShadowFox89

Hmm... I only count 3 sheets in, unless people have been sending them to Ben >.>

Only 4 days until the deadline, can't wait to get started ^-^
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

I'm still here! Am lurking to see whateverone else makes, then ninja in last minute so I can help round out our team XD, or that was the plan, I could probably get a sheet up tomorrow.

At the moment I'm stuck between two ideas. One might not be workable though since it involves a sidoci. Kinda want to play one, but not interested in being a parapsychic, which you have to be, so am glaring at the book to see if I can will reality to realign for me.

ReijiTabibito

Darkling, can we discuss for a moment?  I'm stuck in much the same situation you are, and with Latooni and Muse both having characters on the board, plus now with our new arrival, maybe you and I could come to an understanding to help out the rest of the group, and thus submit our pilots.

Aoife

A Sidoci could be effectively palatte-swapped by taking an Albino (misfit 2 drawback, minor sun allergy 1).  Honestly, I think the group needs two things:  An Occult specialist (for when we come up against "oh crap" scary things that defy mention) and someone who can talk their way out of trouble.  When it comes to requisitions or negotiating with command to send supplies/reinforcements/etc., it helps to have someone with a bit of personality.

I took the know-it-all track to keep the machines and people in line, as well as to cook up some explosives and generally troubleshoot random occurrences (computer/communications/science/education).

EDIT:

Also note that there are a LOT of para-psy abilities that manifest in non-corporeal states.  Ripping a Migou pilots mind to shreds can be a very effective combat tactic in a pinch against overwhelming enemy forces.

ShadowFox89

Ethnia can do talking fairly well. She's got 6 Presence, Alluring, Persuade, and Seduction.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Aoife

Sorry about that, kind of missed it :P  I'm not the most rules-savvy of a person.  I tend to get really excited and read through something all at once, and miss like, a full third of the material.

Presence 6 and Novice Persuade works wonders.  Seduction and Alluring are more back at base, but very effective when it gets to having the quartermaster release a few things above our clearance level ;)

So, amended, probably just an occultist and perhaps someone who can serve a scouting role (Either aircraft or light mech)? I was planning to make my character a scout class as well, but i don't have the combat skills or speed to back it up.  Something slow and hefty at range was what I settled on, hence the Khopesh.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Aoife on January 16, 2012, 10:34:24 PM
A Sidoci could be effectively palatte-swapped by taking an Albino (misfit 2 drawback, minor sun allergy 1).  Honestly, I think the group needs two things:  An Occult specialist (for when we come up against "oh crap" scary things that defy mention) and someone who can talk their way out of trouble.  When it comes to requisitions or negotiating with command to send supplies/reinforcements/etc., it helps to have someone with a bit of personality.

I took the know-it-all track to keep the machines and people in line, as well as to cook up some explosives and generally troubleshoot random occurrences (computer/communications/science/education).

EDIT:

Also note that there are a LOT of para-psy abilities that manifest in non-corporeal states.  Ripping a Migou pilots mind to shreds can be a very effective combat tactic in a pinch against overwhelming enemy forces.
Um... i dunno how well youve been watching this thread, but its a mech game, there is basically no ground-level action. Anyone who isnt a mech/engel pilot is basically going to have nothing to do 90% of the time. We dont need someone to analyse Oh-Fuck things, we have very very big guns, they deal with the Oh-Fuck things in the best possible way. :P We also dont need a talker really, since, again, were not going to have a chat with the Migou or Rapine Storm, or Dagonites, were going to kill them! ;D
Edit (though i could be wrong here)

Its also been agreed that parapsychics/sorcs are operationally incompatible with mecha based combat, most of their abilities are unworkable on such a large scale, and those that are useful, are more useful elsewhere, the NGE simply wouldnt allow a high value asset like a massively powerful parapsychic into a situation with such a high chance of dying, theres even a story in the canon about a elite engel pilot who erupted para abilities being grounded, even counting her elite status and the fact her abilities were directly useful to combat (they saved her and her teams lives) she was still grounded, you cant really make a better case than that.

My comment was more about trying out a White in spite of their powers, rather than because of them.

ReijiTabibito

Well, there goes one of my possible skill tree branches, I was hoping to cover the technical aspects of this bit myself.  Maybe I can find something else...

Aoife

I know your tone isn't meant in a particularly hostile fashion, but it came across as a little strong, just saying ;)

I'm not pointing towards ground level action, more towards showing diversity among the pilots.  A Pilot team who can't field repair their mechs, scout enemy positions, communicate with superiors in a beneficial manner, and deal with unexpected circumstances that defy conventional weaponry simply isn't going to survive long. Not to mention that fact that if you're mech is critically damaged, you need to be able to survive outside of it. Naturally, one pilot can't do all these things, so you have a group of individuals with varied skillsets working in concert to achieve greater objectives.

The story that's been mentioned is of a para-psy with very specific foresight abilities (by canon very uncommon and highly valuable on a strategic rather than tactical level). It's not too much of a stretch to believe that a capable telekinetic with no other strategic level combat abilities would be barred from active duty.  In the case of an Invasive para-psy, you make a good point.  that's likely going to be snatched up by the OSI or other investigative groups.  A strictly destructive para-psy, on the other hands, isn't particular useful if they're not channeling all that bad majo in order to ruin somebodies day.

My point was meant to illustrate that you aren't constrained so long as you can work with the various disparate elements.

Addendum:

Reiji, why not double up?  If one of us gets knocked out, at least the team isn't without any form of support.  It's a relatively minor investment in Technician after all.

ReijiTabibito

Yeah, I know.  It just came out because I'd been debating the choice for some time.

And I might.  I don't have enough skill points leftover to get Arcanotechnician, but I have enough that I can buy at least a couple of levels in regular old Technician so I can fix things.

Also, I've got a level in Armorer and two levels Munitions so I can at least help keep personal and mecha-scale weapons in good shape.

Depending on how BEN answers my question, though, I might invest in Law Enforcement instead of going the techincal route, because someone who can figure out mysteries is always handy.  If not, though, then I'll probably invest in getting Technician and such.

Aoife

If you're going the observation route, law enforcement (legal practice and prosecution) is less useful than say, a combination of Research, Observation, Security, and Surveillance (maybe Computers as well).  That's your basic package for mystery solving, and having all 5 at student is sufficient enough to cover any real early game action.

And yep, munitions and armorer are good for weapon systems.  I took munitions at student, so having someone savvier is always good (otherwise a damaged weapon system is going to be a big deal!). Not quite sure how useful armorer will be though, given that it deals with vitality scale weaponry.  Maybe consider assigning those two points elsewhere?

ReijiTabibito

We'll see.  I'm still going to wait for BEN's ruling before I move anywhere on the skill points I still have left.

ShadowFox89

Can someone double check the math on my character? I've only played C-Tech once before.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Aoife

Seems spot on shadow.  37 Attribute points (+1 human, +1 Cheat) and 36 Skill Points (+2 Human, +8 Drawbacks, +6 Cheats) are assigned correctly, and secondary attributes match up.

ShadowFox89

I wonder if I can get a Nightmare drawback for 2pts......
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Aoife on January 16, 2012, 11:00:54 PM
I know your tone isn't meant in a particularly hostile fashion, but it came across as a little strong, just saying ;)
Sorry, was typing it in a rush, maybe it came out alittle strong, dividing my attention three ways is probably a bad idea.

QuoteI'm not pointing towards ground level action, more towards showing diversity among the pilots.  A Pilot team who can't field repair their mechs, scout enemy positions, communicate with superiors in a beneficial manner, and deal with unexpected circumstances that defy conventional weaponry simply isn't going to survive long. Not to mention that fact that if you're mech is critically damaged, you need to be able to survive outside of it. Naturally, one pilot can't do all these things, so you have a group of individuals with varied skillsets working in concert to achieve greater objectives.
Well, the case could be made that the NEG is usually pretty good about equipping mecha/engel units, i doubt were going to have to push knives under the quartermasters nails to get enough ammo, or blankets. Other than that, You do have a point from a generalist perspective, its good to have a well rounded skillset, but generally thats not how it works usually (mind you, I'm not a expert on this game, so maybe you can get away with it here). real life fighter pilots are not flight engineers, and it would be a waste to train them as such, their job is to get in a plane, and kill things, sure they have a great deal of basic technically skill, but theres a whole order of education different there. Likewise, in RPs, its usually best to focus a character on what you want them to be, which in this case is a mecha or engel pilot, if you divvy up your skills to be good at other things, your hurting your characters pilot ability, which could have a disastrous effect on their ability to contribute and indeed, survive. Further, those skills are only marginally useful, NPCs will fix our mechas when we return to home, and if we are in the middle of nowhere with trashed mechas, then a character with technician skills isnt going to have the parts they need to fix it, so its still useless. I'm not saying we shouldnt have some skill in other areas, but if you have enough skill to fully repair a damaged mech, your probably going to rue that later on more than you benefit from it.

My comments were also partially directed towards your character, who is not a mecha pilot. Tis up to Ben, but I'm worried that you might be bored while we are off doing the pilot thing.

QuoteThe story that's been mentioned is of a para-psy with very specific foresight abilities (by canon very uncommon and highly valuable on a strategic rather than tactical level). It's not too much of a stretch to believe that a capable telekinetic with no other strategic level combat abilities would be barred from active duty.  In the case of an Invasive para-psy, you make a good point.  that's likely going to be snatched up by the OSI or other investigative groups.  A strictly destructive para-psy, on the other hands, isn't particular useful if they're not channeling all that bad majo in order to ruin somebodies day.
A strictly destructive one would still have been snatched up by those organizations as a troubleshooter, or if not them, then the regular military. infantry that can blow things up with their mind? Yes please.

Whileyou may technically be able to do it, pretty much everyone from the CT devs, to Ben, to myself, considers magical mecha pilots to be a loophole in the rules, rather than something you should think of as a valid option. RAW vs RAI if you will.
The concept I had, if anyone is interested, would have been a White with either student level empathy or psychometry, and nothing else, ever (she refuses to develop her powers). And those only for the social awkwardness, rather than the advantage. (no mechanical benefits to any sort of roll).

Holy crap lots of posts! well, disregard anything thats been outdated.

NotoriusBEN

Ok, lets get to answering some questions/concerns again.  XD

I enjoy your enthusiasm, Aoife, but I'd like mecha/engel pilots with secondary skills as their interests. There's nothing wrong with being an armorer, in fact, she'd be highly useful on long deployments, but she needs to be a pilot first.

yea, para-psychology has been explained a few times, notably in my second post and a couple others in the thread at the moment.  Im not in the mood for it, though it is a distinguishing facet of a character.

Like choosing armorer or law enforcement or airbrushing, They are not the focus of the story, but I will try to weave in cool little things so that they give unexpected boons so you feel justified in your character choices. All said, you should trust your mecha first and foremost.

Reading the book, Law Enforcement is the dirty work/heavy lifting of CSI:Wherever. It's definitely got the Sherlock Holmes feel to it, and you'd be able to get samples back to the cruiser for better analysis (if what your looking for is sophisticated). I see Law Enforcement being useful in a military setting, especially with civilians, non-combatants, or even resistance fighters. Just saying there's more to it than just forensics.

For Darkling, Id like to see that White pilot (for some reason I think Rei Ayanami :P). And just because Whites are all para-psychics, doesnt mean they are all Akira-class lazer-bending, tank smashing, bug popping godlings. (Much to the NEG's dismay) She has a power, she just never developed it, or didnt have a knack for it.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on January 16, 2012, 11:34:30 PM
Reading the book, Law Enforcement is the dirty work/heavy lifting of CSI:Wherever. It's definitely got the Sherlock Holmes feel to it, and you'd be able to get samples back to the cruiser for better analysis (if what your looking for is sophisticated). I see Law Enforcement being useful in a military setting, especially with civilians, non-combatants, or even resistance fighters. Just saying there's more to it than just forensics.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexcellent.  I think my ship has just come in!  Now if only I can decide on what to drive, an Engel or a Mecha...

Aoife

Why not Shadow?

Dark, I am actually a mecha pilot ;) It's easy to miss sight of it in the skill pile, but I pilot a Khopesh (heavy duty ranged mech), with enough of a  Marksman ability to back it up.  Will I rival your proficiency in a Mech dogfight?  No, quite simply I won't.  But, nonetheless, I have other strengths you won't possess, and that's the balance of the whole thing.

Mechanical advantage is all well and good, but in the end it means you're character only functions in very narrow environments.  When it comes to gunning bad things down with mechas, there's no one better to call.  However, you're going to be sitting on your hands in most any circumstance that involves not directly fighting something.

You're likewise entirely correct about pilots, who aren't trained to repair their vehicles because there is no opportunity to do so.  A damaged plane either returns to base or crashes.  A jet is incapable of making a landing on anything but highly specialized surfaces without destroying itself. There's no reason to ever train a pilot to repair a vehicle that will not survive the damage.  in the case of a mech, you have device that can, and in most cases will, survive significant amounts of punishment.  Tank crews are fully equip to manage, strip, and repair their vehicles from the ground up, because they will, in most circumstances, become damaged and need field repairs. Technicians aren't going to be able to repair a destroyed weapon or leg,but they can jury-rig it to work for at least a bit longer - possibly enough to salvage the equipment.

Para-psy's are tricky, total agreement :)  I can agree to disagree ^^

ShadowFox89

@BEN- Dunno if you missed the question, but can I take some sort of Nightmare based drawback for 2pts? I figure that Ethnia has reoccurring nightmares about her engel being a bit... forceful.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Aoife

Because it's been missed by Ben as well :P

Combat Relevant Skills:

Dodge (Novice)
     Pilot (Student) (AMV-3 Khopesh)
     Stealth (Student)
     Demolitions  (Student)
     Medicine (Novice)
     Munitions (Student)
     Technician (Adept)
     Marksman (Adept)
     Observation (Student)
     Support Weapons (Student)

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Aoife on January 16, 2012, 11:41:31 PM
Dark, I am actually a mecha pilot ;) It's easy to miss sight of it in the skill pile, but I pilot a Khopesh (heavy duty ranged mech), with enough of a  Marksman ability to back it up.

...Sorry. Totally missed that. Was looking at your profession! Forgive me? ;D

NotoriusBEN

Also just saying it so its said. Not pointing fingers.

Keep it civil all. We all want to have a good time. Reread your posts a couple times and see if it comes off differently and all.

Thank you.

ok what else?
Oh! I told Reiji in a PM, but I'll share it here too.

Depending how far you guys are able to push into Migou territory, how well you do, or how badly. It will reflect your supply and requisitions. There's no set number, just the whim of the GM on this one. If you complete missions with all your mechs smashed up, its good in the short run, but just realize that going back for repairs could blunt your offensive push or weaken your defensive stand. For the most part, the Quartermaster and the NPC's will get your mech's in tip top shape. If you have repair skills, I'll make sure you get a chance to use them, and provide the NPCs a different solution. They work on this stuff so much its almost rote. Providing a fresh POV can help with repairs.

To help with shadow's Nightmare question, which book is that stuff in again? so busy flipping through 1st edition books with lackluster indexes...

NotoriusBEN

OH! the amphibious mecha AMV khopesh (duh, still a sword name  ::) )

Im here looking for the friggin medic truck that's called an 'ay mee'
Ok i see it now aoife.

Ok, enough questions answered tonight. I gotta get your guy's stuff put together tonight and tomorrow.

ShadowFox89

Vade Mecum has stuff on dreams and such, but no drawback for nightmares. Checking through Assets/Drawbacks for other books, I can't find anything either.

The closest that comes to it is Dream Barren, but that's no dreams at all.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Aoife

Naturally :)  I have a lot of skills, so it's kind of natural it'd get lost somewhere :) I basically mashed together the skill requirements for an Arcano-technician and a Mech-Pilot in a particularly sloppy manner, and the lower Agility will come to bite me down the line for sure.

I really probably should take Armed Fighting, but it's tricky to know which skill to dial back a level.  I'm thinking Communications, but the ability to mess up enemy communications lines and jam transmissions from patrols we take out will be very useful.  Maybe computers?

NotoriusBEN

I'll work with you on the nightmare drawback, shadow. I just dont have time at the moment.

Look at a bunch of other drawbacks that allow 1 or 2 points. they usually have a -1 or -2 penalty or require a challenging skill check. If others have ideas to toss out for this, I'd appreciate the help. We should have it cobbled together by tomorrow.

For now... Im working on the opening post and getting a few pics together.

ShadowFox89

Usually, it's a Tenacity roll. I'd say... Challenging tenacity roll or take a -1 penalty to all Test rolls until she can get a good rest. Basically a refluffed Tired drawback with an added tenacity roll.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Aoife

My take on it, for whatever it's worth (Based on Mania (2) drawback)

Nightmare (2)

Your character is prone to horrible nightmares, either due to a traumatic past, bad luck, or darker things.  While these nightmares are not in the same category as a full blown psychiatric ailment, they are nonetheless disruptive to the character's everyday life. While they are shaking off their dreams, these characters tend be skittish, prone to outbursts, and generally ill-tempered. After sleeping for a period of more than an hour, the character must make a Challenging Tenacity Feat Test or suffer a -1 Test Penalty for 1-5 hours. If they character has suffered an insanity point in the past week, the Test becomes Hard and the character suffers a -2 Test Penalty for 1-5 hours as the nightmares intensify horrendously and the character learns to accommodate the new terrors into their everyday life.

EDIT: Beat me to it Shadow! :P

ChaoticSky

Questions! Was reading over other peoples characters to make sure im doing this right... was wondering though, how did you lot get some of your secondary attributes?

Aoife, how did you get 65 vit and 10 reflex?
The formula for vit, as i understand it is the avg of Str and Ten (rounding down), +5 (then x5 for your health, which, i assume, is supposed to be recorded separately), which in your case would have been 11 (55 health). And reflex is avg of Ag, Int and Per (rounded down) which in your case would be 6

And Shadow, your vit is 14, but I'm getting up to 12

So... basically what am i missing in my calculations? i dont want to gimp my character because im missing something! D:

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Darkling on January 17, 2012, 10:40:11 AM
And Shadow, your vit is 14, but I'm getting up to 12

Woops, you are correct. That's why I asked for someone to check my stats for me >.>
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Aoife

Rounding is where I've made my errors :P  Big oops there!  Thanks for checking Dark, I'd been rounding up!

Adjusted Vitality is 55 indeed (5+8/2 =6 rounded down+5=11x5=55)

Adjusted Reflex is indeed 6. I made the BIG error of dividing by 2 as I'd been doing for other attributes, on top of rounding up :P

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

Me either!

Okie Dokie. Heres Mine,
=Character
-Name/CallSign: Key Vankover/Winter
-Race: White (Sidoci)
-Profession: Engel Pilot
-Allegiance: The New Earth Government
-Place of Birth: Vancouver
-Sex: F
-Distinguishing Features: Shes a White. Black nazzadi-style tattoos curl out from her back, around her arms and legs in a very loose spiral, and following the lines of her hips, rib cage, collar bone, and cheek bone, but only on her left side.
-Bio: Key was among the first Whites born, and like many xenomixes was raised in the newly forged Nazzadi traditions to avoid being ostracized by that side of her family. Unlike many Whites, she was never put up for adoption, whatever her abilities were, they never seemed to have manifested, and her parents (having resolved to make the best of a unideal situation) were able to appreciate the perks of a child who was so well grounded and hard to scare, eerie though she was. She grew as all children do and put up with her unique situation as well as all Whites do, when she was eight, her watchers were finally able to ascertain the nature of her ability, she was a Empath, but scored very low on ability tests, it would be unlikely that shed ever manifest higher abilities.

Growing up in Vancouver, one of the major military Archologies in western North America, she developed a strong sense of racial duty, and while she worked as a dancer in her teen years, signed up to a military academy as soon as she was able, flatly refusing all offers of training or employment for her parapsy abilities. There in she worked hard and distinguished herself from her peers, entered the mech pilot training program and was eventually selected by Engel Project scouts to bond with one of the newly issued Chashmal Engels.

=Primary Attributes And Skills
-Agility: 7
Agility Feat: Adept
Pilot: Adept; Chashmal (3)
Dodge: Adept (3)
Fighting: Focused Adept: Engel (3)

-Intelligence: 5
Intelligence Feat: Novice
Armorer: Student (1)
Education: Student (1)
Language: Novice; English, Nazzadi (free)
Literacy: Novice (free)
Munitions: Student (1)
Regional Knowledge: Novice; Vancouver and Environs  (free)

-Perception: 7
Perception Feat: Adept
Observation: Adept (3)
Marksman: Focused Adept: Engel (3)

-Presence: 5
Presence Feat: Novice
Performance: Novice; Dance (2)
Seduction: Student (1)

-Strength: 5
Strength Feat: Novice

-Tenacity: 8 (6+1race+1cheat)
Tenacity Feat: Expert
Survival: Novice (2)

=Secondary Attributes
-Actions:2 (7, 7)
-Movement: 6; 11mph - 27/6 ypt (7,5)
-Orgone: 11 (5, 8. +5)
-Reflex: 6 (7,5,7)
-Vitality: 11 (5,8. +5)
--Health: 55 (11x5)
11-0  Flesh             
11-0  Light              -  -1 Test Penalty
11-0  Moderate       -  -3 Test Penalty, 1/2 Move, Max 2 Actions, 1/2 Armor
11-0  Serious          -  -6 Test Penalty, Crawl Only, Max 1 Actions, No Armor, Sanity Check
11-0  Death's Door -  Unconscious and Possibly Dieing or in Coma

Drama Points: 10

=Assets
Nightvision 3 (race)
Alluring 1 (race)
White 4
Latent Parapsychic 4 (white)
Erupted Parapsychic 2 (white)
Authority 3
Double Jointed 1
Muse: Dance 1

=Drawbacks
Misfit 4 (race)
Watched 3 (race)
Duty 3
Truly Honest 2
Foe 1

=Powers
-Primary: Sensory
Empathy: Student (free)
can read strong, current emotions. But not cause. +1 Test or Contest Bonus when using social skills
1oz/hr
-Secondary: Somatic
-Tertiary: Environmental and Manipulative

=Gear
-Sentrytech Mk-V
+1/+1 G
-CS-44 Enforcer
15mm, Range: 12/25/45, Damage: +2, Shots/round: 2, Rounds: 15 caseless
-Engel Synthesis Interface (ESI) Implant

=Engel
=Chashmal: Azazel
-Attributes
Control Response (Agility)  +2
Sensors (Perception)  +1
Frame  (Strength)  11 (+2 damage)
Multi-Task Systems (Actions)  0
Warning Systems (Reflex)  0
-Sensory Systems
Broadband Audio
Nightvision
Radar/IFF
Scan
Targeting (+2)
Thermal
-Support Systems
Life Support
-Movement
Ground Speed: 30 mph (74/18 ypt)
Air/Water Speed: 120 mph (296/72 ypt)
Acceleration Code:  C [2/2]
Jumping Distance:  30/15
A-Pods
Enhanced A-Pod Speed (Quadruple)
Grapplers
-Structure
Integrity 30
Armor 4/4
Damage Control Systems 2/turn
Regeneration 1 die/turn
   (Total Recovery 2 + 1 die/turn)
-Weapons Systems
Chaff Dispenser (Large)
Charge Beam (Large)
Hyperedge Claws
   with Acid Drip (Large)
2 Linked Laser Cannons (Large)

Cheats:
3 = 1 Ten
6 = 6 Skillpoints

Additional notes: Ben, this one is updated from the one i sent you, theres a few differences. For Foe, I was imagining someone who resented her meteoric success during training, theres literally no end to the list of bigoted reasons he might have, and that doesnt even count the usual jealousy! perhaps a mech or fighter pilot, but I'll leave the specifics up to you, since its entirely possible that Key didnt even notice she had a rival. Have fun with it :D! I dont have support weapons because I have no rockets/missiles/bombs, and i dont have armed fighting because the Chashmals melee weapons are claws, which go under Fighting. Since everyone is diversifying their skills, I figured I'd try out the performance angle, will be neat to see if/how that gets worked into the game.

Now, any input is loved!

ShadowFox89

She can be the backup dancer to Ethnia's singing!
Call me Shadow
My A/A

NotoriusBEN

Im liking the characters, everyone. Im getting a lot of ideas from these, and I like the engel/pilot ratio. It's playing into my opening. (nothing sinister, just an explaination for combined mecha/engel ops besides the sake for doing so.

I have the ground work for the OP done, but work and all this snow in washington has killed my creativity. I should be done with my current site tomorrow and I'll get the reinvigoration I need.

@ShadowFox, lets use aiofe's definition of the nightmare. Cant wait to see yours and reiji's characters.

Aoife

It's kind of a fun group from what I've seen so far.  Just as a note though, I'll be staying WELL clear of the Chashmal.  Anything that big is going to be taking any and all firepower, and I don't want to be too close :D

Silliness aside, we've got a bruiser, a range-support, and a mixed-combat unit, with two of the three being adapt both on land and sea.  This is on top of the varied skillsets, which is a boon in and of itself.  On the other hand, there's no way to be stealthy in the slightest.  The 'shortest' of us is 38' tall.  Plus, repairs are only going to be moderately effective, as the units are so large as to make field repairs kind of iffy.

ReijiTabibito

Bruiser = Chashmal

Range Support = Cherub

Mix Combat = Hamshall

Plus whatever Stealth-type mech Muse is driving (either a Rapier or an Eclipse, since it's a mech and not an Engel), and Aoi's Khopesh...

ChaoticSky

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on January 19, 2012, 08:12:54 AM
Bruiser = Chashmal

Range Support = Cherub

Mix Combat = Hamshall

Plus whatever Stealth-type mech Muse is driving (either a Rapier or an Eclipse, since it's a mech and not an Engel), and Aoi's Khopesh...
And your go-fast mech, assuming you still plan to have one, we also dont have latooni's sheet for her cherub pilot, but theres still plenty of time.

Also shadow! Ethnia's going to have to work on that, karaoke totally doesnt count! Hehe

ShadowFox89

Aww, it doesn't? Maybe I should swap a skill around and give her singing :P
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on January 19, 2012, 09:06:29 AM
Aww, it doesn't? Maybe I should swap a skill around and give her singing :P
Oh I'm sure it does, atleased as a supporting skill, though one could probably make the case that singing from a script alone or with a few friends in a small room is radically different from singing your own songs to a real audience on a stage, in either case i was just kidding. Unless Ben has a devious plan, were probably the only ones youll ever end up singing for anyway. Dont change her on my account!

ShadowFox89

It's a minor thing. Hobbies are there to keep your character from snapping and going insane, which Ethnia will already have a problem with on account of her nightmares and short temper.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Aoife

Karaoke is a perfectly valid Hobby :D

As for my character, they basically are a crazy Ashcroft family offshoot with a bit too much time fiddling with the inner workings of D-Engines and associated technologies.  I may have been at work Engineering some new surprises...

muahahahahaha

ChaoticSky

It is!

In Keys case she likes dancing, probably did it erotically because it was easy money and its alot easier than getting a job on broadway or something more artsy, but shes not especially attached to that style any more than any other. In a ideal world, she would have been a dancer, but as is, she feels its ridiculous to pursue such a profession when theres a war on for our bloody survival, and it utterly blanks her that anyone would think differently.

ShadowFox89

I think Ethnia will have always been trained to be a soldier. Fighting is the only thing she knows, though outside of the cockpit she would be rather quiet and shy.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ReijiTabibito

Well, in terms of 'fast mechs' I've got a couple of choices.  The Auphan is a recon Engel capable of speeds to catch the fastest flying Migou mech (the Dragonfly, only 1 mecha is faster, and that's on the ground), and of course, beating the shit out of it.  If I'm going to be driving an Engel, the Auphan would be it.

On the other hand, being a mecha pilot means I'd get to drive all the Nazzadi mecha, and probably a few Sword-class ones, as well.  And the Nazzadi interceptor is the fastest armor out there, period.

EDIT:  Advice, please?

Muse

ReijiTabibito

Indeed.  Speed is going to be key, I think.  Muse, you said Sean's Kakarembo was a stealth mech.  You decided which one, yet?

ChaoticSky

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on January 19, 2012, 04:08:28 PM
Well, in terms of 'fast mechs' I've got a couple of choices.  The Auphan is a recon Engel capable of speeds to catch the fastest flying Migou mech (the Dragonfly, only 1 mecha is faster, and that's on the ground), and of course, beating the shit out of it.  If I'm going to be driving an Engel, the Auphan would be it.

On the other hand, being a mecha pilot means I'd get to drive all the Nazzadi mecha, and probably a few Sword-class ones, as well.  And the Nazzadi interceptor is the fastest armor out there, period.

EDIT:  Advice, please?
the way it looks to me;
Auphan: Power, Armour
Brushfire: Speed, Regen

the Auphan is undoubtedly the harder hitter of the two, while the Brushfire is faster, the Auphan has more armour and integrity, while the Brushfire regens faster (3, auphan has 2). Additionally, the Auphan is better kitted for close combat, mandibles with acid are nothing to laugh at, and the fog could help keep enemy fire off its back while it chews on some migou. While the Brushfire has superior utility, with its manipulator arms, escape pod, grave bombs and lightning gun

ReijiTabibito

There's one piece of info missing from your analysis.  Being a mech pilot (and thus a Brushfire preference) means that I can drive any of the mecha aboard the Victory.  If we need speed, then I can use the Brushfire.  On the other hand, if we're expecting heavy resistance, but not much in the way of speed, then I can pick a Blizzard or a Claymore.

If I go with the Auphan, though, that's basically the only thing I get to drive, due to how Engels work.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on January 19, 2012, 04:53:17 PM
There's one piece of info missing from your analysis.  Being a mech pilot (and thus a Brushfire preference) means that I can drive any of the mecha aboard the Victory.  If we need speed, then I can use the Brushfire.  On the other hand, if we're expecting heavy resistance, but not much in the way of speed, then I can pick a Blizzard or a Claymore.

If I go with the Auphan, though, that's basically the only thing I get to drive, due to how Engels work.
True to a point, i dont think they leave spare blizzards laying around, but if you could gets your hands on one sure. So you going mechpilot then?

Muse

Rapier and Eclipse are your sugestions? I'll look them up.  Are they in the core book?

Sean's big on stealth with this book. 

The word Kakarembo is the title of a Hide and Seek anime. 

ReijiTabibito

Possibly.  The Auphan has 3 things in its favor as it stands.

1 - Armor.  Yes, the Nazzadi mechs have more regen due to higher DCS.  But the Auphan has, generally speaking, 1 more die worth of armor in both Trauma and Projectile category compared to most Nazzadi mechs.  Even the heaviest Nazzadi armor is 2/2, where the Auphan is 2/3.  And sometimes being able to prevent damage is far more important than being able to fix it.

2 - Sensors.  We don't really have a sensory armor in the group.  Meaning if we run into stuff like Dragonflies or Silverfish, they can wait to ambush us.  And ambush is one of the deadliest things in CTech, as I've found out from running the game in real life, since your defense roll is automatically 0.

3 - Engels, because of Regeneration, have only half the repair time of a standard armor.

Muse:  No, the Rapier and the Eclipse are the only mecha with a Stealth system that allows them to be hidden.  And yes, they're in the core book.

Muse

I'm kind of leaning towards the eclipse for it's blend of speed and stealth.  It looks like the rapier has slightly better sensors. 

Can anyone give me a quick primer? 

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  Here's how the Eclipse and the Rapier stack up against each other.

Eclipse: Better speeds, on both the ground and the air.  The Lightning Gun the Eclipse carries is capable of hitting all targets within a 25 yd radius of wherever you fire it, meaning it's an excellent weapon for taking out groups, whereas the Rapier's Laser Cannon can only fire on 1 target per shot.  The Eclipse's Hyperedge Claws/Acid Drip combo also do better damage than the Rapier's Hyperedge Spurs at close range.  And actually the Eclipse has a just as many sensors as the Rapier does, though it's Targeting is 1 point less than the Rapier.

Rapier: The Rapier has better stat adjustments to the pilot's characteristics than the Eclipse - boosting Agility by 2 and Perception by 1.  The Rapier is also more durable than the Eclipse, its Integrity 10 (compared to Eclipse's Integrity 5) allowing it to take twice as much damage before it expires.  And while the Rapier's Laser Cannon doesn't do as much damage as the Eclipse's Lightning Gun, the Laser Cannon holds on longer, having a higher Failure Code - it fails at Critical Damage, whereas the Lightning Gun fails at Medium.

The real question is what you want to do with your mecha.  Eclipse is excellent for making hit-and-run attacks, using the Lightning Gun to damage multiple opponents, and then run away so it can set up another ambush.  The Rapier, on the other hand, might be able to last in a battle where the Eclipse can't.

ChaoticSky

Should also add, dont feel this is the end-of for you, being a mech pilot, your a just a person in a cockpit, if you choose one and decide later on you want to do the other instead, you could probably get yourself permanently switched over with alittle good RPing. Only Engle pilots like me are stuck with our choice. So which pick whichever seems best, and wait untill you get a feel for it before worrying.

I spent hours debating between the Seraphim and the Chashmal specifically because i cant change later.

ReijiTabibito

Which is precisely why the game designers made the Engels as awesome as possible, to cover up for the fact that Mech Pilots get variety and Engel drivers don't.

Muse

Smiles. 

Kakarembo must clearly be an Eclipse then.  :) 

Hide and seek.  Tag, you 4 are it...  If you survived the lightning damage, that is. 

NotoriusBEN

Quote from: Darkling on January 19, 2012, 09:16:21 AM
Oh I'm sure it does, atleased as a supporting skill, though one could probably make the case that singing from a script alone or with a few friends in a small room is radically different from singing your own songs to a real audience on a stage, in either case i was just kidding. Unless Ben has a devious plan, were probably the only ones youll ever end up singing for anyway. Dont change her on my account!

Macross 7 is awesome

Muse

By the by, folks.  I've got two people lined up for my hypothetical Eldritch Society game.  Anyone in here interested?

Especially Ben.  I try to give my GMs first choice at my own games. 

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Muse on January 19, 2012, 05:50:59 PM
Smiles. 

Kakarembo must clearly be an Eclipse then.  :) 

Hide and seek.  Tag, you 4 are it...  If you survived the lightning damage, that is.

Just be warned.  The Lighting Gun has a fairly short range for a projectile weapon, and because you're a size Small mecha, it doesn't do that much damage.  You'll be relying on your Stealth System to get the drop on the enemy a lot for anything more than piddling damage.

To compensate for this lack of damage potential, you'll want to carry a handheld Charge Beam, which can really dish out the punishment, stealth or no.

ChaoticSky

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Muse on January 19, 2012, 05:55:59 PM
  By the by, folks.  I've got two people lined up for my hypothetical Eldritch Society game.  Anyone in here interested?

Is this the same hypothetical Eldritch Society game that I was in, off E?

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Muse on January 19, 2012, 05:55:59 PM

I would be down for that.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Aoife

Oooo.... Yes for sure.  Eldritch society sounds amazing!

As for us Mech Pilots, remember that your Pilot skill level determine show many vehicles you can actually pilot.  If you're a Student, you can only choose one vehicle class.  At Master you can alternate between 5.  Just remember that, and you'll be fine ;)

ChaoticSky

I might also be interested, would need more details though.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Aoife on January 19, 2012, 06:06:15 PM
Oooo.... Yes for sure.  Eldritch society sounds amazing!

As for us Mech Pilots, remember that your Pilot skill level determine show many vehicles you can actually pilot.  If you're a Student, you can only choose one vehicle class.  At Master you can alternate between 5.  Just remember that, and you'll be fine ;)

Ooooo, almost forgot about that. A-pod, aircraft, and engels for Ethnia ^^
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ReijiTabibito

Don't mean to Nitpick, Aoi, but Pilot determines how many vehicle classes you can drive.  Not individual vehicles.  You can have Pilot 1 and take Mecha/Engel Flight as the class...although all Pilots of any kind should have at least Pilot 2, IMO.

Latooni Subota

Man, so many posts! I've been busy, so I haven't even gotten a chance to properly read through Ctech again, but I can do that tonight. Your Cherub is still here! :O

. . . TOTSUGEKI LOVE HEART! *Guitar riff*

Edit: Can I get a repost of any important details that may have gotten lost in the thread/templates for sheets/etc? I don't want to overlook anything XD

Aoife

Reiji, my post directly says vehicle classes :P

I swear I'm not (mostly) retarded.  Even if I can't properly round numbers :D

Muse

Ben, do I need Fighting or Armed Fighting to fight in Kakarembo? (An Eclipse.) 

Reiji, I'm trying to come up with a new story since the E version of that story is still available to the players who may yet return. 

ChaoticSky

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on January 15, 2012, 10:30:53 PM
good question, reiji. hrm...

Im probably convoluting this, for mecha using blades is Armed Fighting. I know the whole OSES makes mecha an extension of the human being, but its still a machine.

For engels, using their natural abilities and weapons like claws, mandibles and stingers is just Fighting.
At a guess, from that, Armed

NotoriusBEN

yea, think of those claws like war40k lightning claws. acid drip is a little odd, but all in all, its a mech, so armed fighting

Muse

Other question:

Marksman, Support Weapons, or both?

ShadowFox89

Both I would suggest. Skills are so spread out in the system.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on January 19, 2012, 11:47:36 PM
Both I would suggest. Skills are so spread out in the system.
Marksman is for guns, support is for rockets/missiles/bombs/that sorta thing, as a mech pilot you probably want both incase you need them, but with a slant towards marksman, since youll probably use that more often in your preferred mecha. My opinion anyway.

Muse

ReijiTabibito

Alright.  At long last I've managed to figure out my Profession and therefore the rest of my character sheet.  As below.

The Pilot

Name: Edward 'Thunder God' Grey
Profession: Mecha Pilot
Race: Human
Allegiance: NEG
Place of Birth: France
Virtue:  Dedicated
Flaw: Driven
Sex: M
Distinguishing Features: http://avvesione.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/dantalian_no_shoka-11-huey-angry-blue_sky.jpg

Agility 7
Agility Feat: Adept
Athletics: Student
Armed Fighting: Adept
Dodge: Adept, Mecha Focus
Fighting: Adept
Pilot: Adept
Stealth: Student

Intellect 6
Intellect Feat: Adept
Armorer: Student
Communications: Student
History: Novice
Language (English): Expert
Law Enforcement: Adept
Munitions: Novice
Regional Knowledge: Novice

Perception 7
Perception Feat: Adept
Observation: Adept
Marksman: Adept, Mecha Focus
Support Weapons: Adept

Presence 5
Presence Feat: Novice
Persuade: Student

Strength 5
Strength Feat: Novice

Tenacity 6
Tenacity Feat: Adept

Secondary Attributes
Reflex 6
Orgone 11
Vitality 10
Actions 2
Movement: 11 mph/27 ypt/6 ypt

Drama Points 10

Qualities
Alluring (1)
Authority (3, 2nd Lt Rank)
Famous Incident (2)
Code (2): I will oppose the minions of the Old Ones in all their forms; I will never turn my back on a friend in need; I cannot fail in my service - I will succeed or die trying.
Duty (2)
Rival (2)

Insanity 0

Weapon: CS-44; +2 DMG; 2 Shots; 15 Rounds; 15mm Caliber; Range 20/40/60
Armor: Sentrytech Mk V: 1/1

Latooni Subota

Repeating, for my sanity's sake-

Can I get a repost of any important details that may have gotten lost in the thread/templates for sheets/etc? I don't want to overlook anything XD

ShadowFox89

Everything should be in the first post.

We have a Cherub, Chasmal, and Hamshell (Bob) for Engels, and I believe a mecha pilot who has a fast/scout mecha and a Khopesh. So any kind of mecha/engel would be welcome at this point, maybe a second heavy weapon or multi-support type.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on January 20, 2012, 03:07:55 PM
Everything should be in the first post.

We have a Cherub, Chasmal, and Hamshell (Bob) for Engels, and I believe a mecha pilot who has a fast/scout mecha and a Khopesh. So any kind of mecha/engel would be welcome at this point, maybe a second heavy weapon or multi-support type.
shes the cherub

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

Anyway, basically, everything is in the first post i think, beyond that, weve decided that armed fighting = mech melee weapons, and fighting = engel melee weapons. in terms of characters, we have, other than the obvious engle/mech affiliations; a talker, a performer, writer (and/or artist?), a investigator and a technician, if im remembering right. tagers and sorcs are offlimits, and any parapsychic worth the name.

Mechwise we have a arial assault behemoth engel, a aquatic assault engel, your artillery support engel, a stealth mech, a aquatic heavy weapons mech, and a interceptor mech.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Darkling on January 20, 2012, 03:44:01 PM
Mechwise we have a arial assault behemoth engel, a aquatic assault engel, your artillery support engel, a stealth mech, a aquatic heavy weapons mech, and a interceptor mech.

Said interceptor is just the preferred mech of my character.  He's given to driving Nazzadis, particularly the Storm in addition to the Kazidi, but he'll jump into the cockpit of a Sword just as easily - he prefers Claymores/Khopshes and Falcatas/Monsoons.

BTW, BEN?  Can we have a breakdown of the armors aboard the Victory?

ChaoticSky

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on January 20, 2012, 04:48:05 PM
Said interceptor is just the preferred mech of my character.  He's given to driving Nazzadis, particularly the Storm in addition to the Kazidi, but he'll jump into the cockpit of a Sword just as easily - he prefers Claymores/Khopshes and Falcatas/Monsoons.

BTW, BEN?  Can we have a breakdown of the armors aboard the Victory?
That brings up a additional question. Its a given that mech pilots will beable to change their mech, but how easy is that and how much freedom to they have?

My understanding is that they are like a pair of shoes, not a pair of pants. ie, you have your shoes you wear every day, but then maybe you wear different shoes in special circumstances, like going to a wedding or onto a construction site. Not something you can change on a whim or every day (like pants). To use a IC example, you might pilot your incerceptor nearly all the time, but if say, were assaulting a fortified position, or going skinnydipping, youd switch (or get switched) over to something more appropriate. And you could change your main mech with some good RPing, like presenting a case for switching over to your CO.

I could be wrong though. Thats just how it looked to me, but its probably best to get the specifics nailed down before the game starts. Ben?

NotoriusBEN

good questions and I'll be getting to them soon. Ive got most of the OP for the story ready to go, just getting a map prepped at the moment. Im not going to worry about tokens at the moment (those were a bitch to update in my last games)

Im just trying to get it looking epic without looking like I pulled it from the book >.>

ChaoticSky

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on January 20, 2012, 06:24:10 PM
good questions and I'll be getting to them soon. Ive got most of the OP for the story ready to go, just getting a map prepped at the moment. Im not going to worry about tokens at the moment (those were a bitch to update in my last games)

Im just trying to get it looking epic without looking like I pulled it from the book >.>
Additional random question, im nailing down Keys appearance and/or looking for a image, so i was wondering, do we need short military hair? >_>

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

NotoriusBEN

man, hard decision... I know this game has heavy anime influences, but I always thought Asuka's hair length was a little much (is she always pulling it as she whips her head around in that eva?)

for mecha pilots, yea, having a short cut is needed. Its not as bad as the troopers on foot. Shoulder length is the limit.
For engel pilots, they can have longer hair, as long as it isnt like Rapunzel

ShadowFox89

Ethnia's hair is acceptable then?

Speaking of NGE, would Engel suits be something like the plugsuits?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

NotoriusBEN

you know what, I'll retract that from hair. Go ahead and choose a pic on the net that represents your character. If you want to say she cut her hair short, ok, if not, no big.

NotoriusBEN

NES Victory Mech Loadout:

Engels:
     Chasmal
     Cherub
     Hamshell

Sword Class:
     Broadsword x5
     Claymore x3
     Gladius x3
     Saberx1
     Scimitarx1

Khopeshx3
     Xiphos x1
     Falcatax3

Nazzadi Class
     Eclipse x3
     Brushfire x3
     Storm x2
     Blizzard x1

There are also a bunch of other aircraft and support vehicles within the hangers. The mecha choices partly reflect the choices of the players. Since the Cherub is an artillery engel, there are fewer artillery mecha within the Victory. As far as splitting between Nazzadi and Sword Class Mecha... Sword class is meant to take a beating, the Eclipse and Brushfires are the fastest and stealthiest so that is what the choices are. 2 Storms round out the Nazzi choices since they are multi-capable mecha.

ReijiTabibito

Good choices.  Although I'm kinda surprised to see so many Eclipses and Brushfires onboard and not a single Blizzard.  Or a Hurricane.  Fast the Rapier might be, but...oh, wait.  We've got Eclipses to chase down and see Stealth Migou armor.  NVM.

EDIT:  BEN, how many pilots are there aboard the Victory?

ShadowFox89

Can't wait to get started with this. I think NGE style plugsuits would work fairly well for Engel suits :P
Call me Shadow
My A/A

NotoriusBEN

Woops, your right, reiji, the eclipse fills out the rapier's job. I'll switch it with 1 blizzard.

Now the interesting thing, its that there are quite a few power armors onboard (the tiny mecha) but those are for the soldiers onboard the Victory.

There are enough pilots onboard for all mecha and engels to be deployed. (engel pilots are the characters, only). The number of mecha onboard the Victory are what she can fully deploy in an engagement. Im taking liberties in thinking that there are plenty of spare parts lying around to fix these mecha after some substantial fighting. Heavier engagements may for the technicians to cannabalize parts and thus, fewer mecha would be available.

I just dont buy that there are 32 mechs onboard solely to be cannabalized for parts for the favorite pilots onboard.

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  So there at least 32 pilots.  Fair enough.  I'm just thinking that if we go into a full engagement, and I want to drive a Claymore, for example, then someone will have to take over the Brushfire that I normally use.

Muse

Kakarembo is standing by. 

I got some stuff ready for my eldritch society game tonight. 

It will be set in Kansas city, where Chralis corperation has just pushed for and won the NEG contract to build a new archology. 

Why were they so eager, and what scary things will we find in the old heartlands of America. 

I have house rules for building starting parasychics that can keep up, and one guy has already signed on with a technokinetic concept. 

No one grabbed the slot for a White yet.

I'd kind of like motorcycles to be a theme. 

NotoriusBEN

GAME THREAD IS UP.
I'll have the OOC chat up tomorrow along with the character sheet thread.
I'll also make sure to link it all to the front pages.

CthuluTECH: Cold War
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=129887.0

Flex your writing chops with chewing up the targets and getting into character. I'll get the rest of the stuff going after I get some sleep.

ShadowFox89

Updated Ethnia's personality and added an insanity point tracker to the sheet. I figure she's got a bit of a personality issue.

edit: Do you want us rolling agility, or just taking pot-shots at the mecha?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Muse

Mine's up too!  "You all know this story," not "Miami Beach Blues".   

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=456.0

Course, we still need characters. 

ShadowFox89

Posted my interest in there.

I really wish there was a description of the pilot's cavity within an Engel. Is it like a normal cockpit? Do they take from NGE and have a chamber filled with liquid? Does a pilot get completely surrounded by the flesh of the Engel, moving through thought alone?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Latooni Subota

Hrm, I don't think I'm gonna have time to get this done any time soon, I think. I might have to bail out for the time being. I just can't find the damn time to sit down, open the book, and CREATE a proper character. x.o

Muse

ShadowFox89

I can help too ^^'

Though this is only my second C-Tech game.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Aoife

What is everyone's rank?  We probably need a CO for missions.

I'm running a Captain (specialist knowledge, tactical mindset).

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Muse

Sean had two points in the rank background, putting him at the same level as the default engle pilot. 

Not sure how Ben wants to run that. 

ChaoticSky

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on January 21, 2012, 01:45:19 AM
Posted my interest in there.

I really wish there was a description of the pilot's cavity within an Engel. Is it like a normal cockpit? Do they take from NGE and have a chamber filled with liquid? Does a pilot get completely surrounded by the flesh of the Engel, moving through thought alone?

the details ive been able to find are thus:
fluid filled
very small/cramped
at leased partially organic/the walls seem to be
theres one story that mentions the pilot touching the wall, so its not so cramped that the walls hug you, but the walls are close enough to touch. the way its infereced seems to suggest theres no equipment in the engel cockpit (unlike the mech one), and tactical data/input/visuals are displayed inside the helmet. controls seem to be mental

NotoriusBEN

Ok, here are the relevent threads for our game.

Game Thread:   https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=129887.0
Character Sheet Thread:   https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=129923.0
OOC Thread:   https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=129920.0
Recruitment Thread:   https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=128798.0

As for Rank.   
Mecha pilots choosing Authority 2 are high level NCOs ranging from E-7 First Sergeant to E-9 Sergeant Major
All Pilots choosing Authority 3 are O-2 1st Lieutenants to O-3 Captains.

Muse

I can't find myself.  Has anybody seen me? 

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Muse on January 12, 2012, 05:10:43 PM
Name/CallSign:   Lieutenant Sean Tavish/Airbrush
Race:      Human
Profession:   Mech Pilot
Allegience:   NEG Navy
Place of Birth:   Doublin
Sex:      Male
Virtue:      
Flaw:      
Height/Weight: 5'11/170lbs
Mech: Kakarembo: An Eclipse Mech 
A pony-tailed redhead of Irish American descent, he works hard, drinks deep, and celebrates with all his heart. The

stories he and his sister made up when they were

teenagers he now writes graphic novels of, and has sometimes airbrushed his characters onto friend's mechs and planes. 

Atributes: 
7  Agility
6  Intilect
8  Perception
5  Pressence
5  Strength
6  Tenacity

SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES
7   Reflex
11  Orgone
10  Vitality
2   Actions
11 MPH
27 Sprint ypt
6  Cautions ypt

Drama Points   10/10
Experience   0

Health
10-0  Flesh             
10-0  Light              -  -1 Test Penalty
10-0  Moderate       -  -3 Test Penalty, 1/2 Move, Max 2 Actions, 1/2 Armor
10-0  Serious          -  -6 Test Penalty, Crawl Only, Max 1 Actions, No Armor, Sanity Check
10-0  Death's Door -  Unconscious and Possibly Dieing or in Coma

Skills:
Armed Fighting      Adept
Athletics      Novice
Art: Visual      Adept
Education      Novice
Dodge         Adept: Mecha Focus
L. English      Expert
L. Japanese      Student
Literacy:      Adept
Marksman      Adept: Mecha Focus
Observation:      Adept
Pilot:         Adept
Regional Knowlege:   Novice
Stealth         Adept
Support Weapons      Novice
Trivia:         Student

Assets:
(1)   Aluring +1
(3)   Athority
(1)   Effecient Metabolisim (+2)
(2)   Fearless
(1)   Muse: Comics (+2)
(1)   Sexy Voice

Drawbacks: 
(3)   Code:
--I always keep my word. 
--A friend of a friend is my friend and an enemy of my friend is my foe.
--I accept any challenge to single combat. 
--I will protect the downtroden and the needy. 
--I will never turn my back on a friend in need. 
--I will opose the minions of the Old Ones in all their forms. 
(2)   Duty
(1)   Habit: A serious drinker. 
(2)   Intolerance: Poloticians
(2)   Rival

Centyrtech Mark 5 Concealed Armor
CS-44 Enforcer
Kakarembo: Stealth Capable Mech

Sketch Book
Wrist Computer

Cheats Spent: 
4: +8 Skill Points
2: +1 Intilect

There's an error on the sheet though. +1 intelligence is 3 cheat, not 2.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Muse