CthulhuTECH: EVA and HPL s'mored in awesomesauce

Started by NotoriusBEN, January 08, 2012, 02:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotoriusBEN

First off, this is a shameless rip of Rainfall's OP from the Penny-Arcade Forums. She hosted a game back in 2009 that I was unfortunately not a part of, but regardless, I've been feeling the itch to play it again. It is a relatively unknown and possibly dying brand, and its a shame, because CthuluTECH has an awesome universe and book art.

Game Thread:   https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=129887.0
Character Sheet Thread:   https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=129923.0
OOC Thread:   https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=129920.0
Recruitment Thread:   https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=128798.0

Quote from: Rainfall of Penny-Arcade Forums

Critical Failures Presents
CTHULHUTECH: Face Damnation

The world sucks. Everyone knows it.
And that was BEFORE the Migou came to earth and started trying to kill everyone.
Also, it was before fish-men came up out of the sea and dragging people away, sacrificing them as they tried to find their god.
Before the Dead-God was awoken on the Plateau of Leng, and his Cults swept over Asia.

So now the world really sucks. And someone needs to save it, or die trying.

Cthulhutech is a game set in the future, in 2085. Humanity has discovered how to mix arcane principles with technology, and coined the somewhat cliched term 'arcanotech' to describe it. Unfortunately, aliens from a planet just past Pluto, the Migou, decided that they had the copyright, and so decided to invade Earth.

Meanwhile, the stars are almost right, and Cthulhu(yes that Cthulhu) is preparing to rise from the briny deep, so his cultists are searching for R'lyeh and killing a lot of people in the process.

Oh, and Hastur(yes that Hastur) has decided to show up on the Plateau of Leng in Asia, and his monsters and crazed cultists are murdering and raping their way across Asia.

So humanity seems pretty pooched. What do we have going for us?

1. Arcanotech! We've got infinite power sources and we're almost post-scarcity economy. Not quite, but almost. We don't have nanotech, but we can pull some crazy stunt.

2. Giant robots! Yes, that's right. Arcanotech means that we're putting mecha on the battlefield against all the nasties. Of course, they also have giant robots, so it's fair play. All the standard equipment applies. Laser cannons, rocket pods, swords, etc.

3. Even larger robots! The Engel Project decided to fuse our mecha technology with alien beings. Think EVAs and you're pretty much there. Only a few people can pilot these babies, but they trump anything the aliens and monsters can put on the field.

4. Psychic powers, sorcery, and the home field advantage.
Well, we don't really have that last one. But we can pull out dirty tricks, and quite frankly we're holding our own, as you can see from this map just below. It's not easy, but we're alive.
Still, we need some people to save our asses.

Map of the World As It Stands, 2085:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The Rapine Storm are Hastur's guys, the Esoteric Order of Dagon are Cthulhu's (Oh, the EOD *owns* the oceans save certain key inlets and rivers), and the Migou are the aliens. The Nazzadi are space drow and not too important in the grand scheme of things.

Rainfall had 4 ideas for campaigns in CthulhuTECH and all are possible. You could even go down the noir detective road with creepy Eldritch shit thrown in the mix. These are here to get your imaginations going.

Quote from: Rainfall of Penny-Arcade Forums
1. Mecha/Engels
This would be set in China, holding the borders against the Rapine Storm and the Migou simultaneously. It would be pretty action heavy, a grim relentless pace as the soldiers of the NEG try to hold their own against completely absurd forces. Character interaction would be between squadmates and soldiers, trying to hold each other together, since nobody can really take a break for psych treatment when they're in the hottest zone on earth.

2. Soldiers/Technicians
65 miles northwest of Las Vegas lies the old Nevada Hydrogen Bomb test site. It hosted the Weisskopf project, focused on creating tiny wormholes for teleportation. Militarily invaluable research.
Then it exploded, and created 'The Zone.' 160 miles across, it's a circular area of shifting black nothing. Only things come out of it that try to eat people.
So there's an entire mechanized regiment and a few companies of troops there to stop it from eating the entire world. This wouldn't be quite as action-packed as the Mecha game, and it would be a lot about character interaction and possibly stranger goings-on. Still, you'd get to shoot monsters.

3. Tagers
You work for the Eldritch Society. You're fused with an alien beast that lets you fight against the monstrous creatures of the Chrysalis Corporation. The Thousand Masks of Nyarlathotep are hunting you. And, well, you're hunting them. This would be set inside one of the arcologies, Seattle or New York, and be a noir-ish, very grim investigation game. Battles would be deadly, player death would be a distinct possibility. So, y'know, grimdark.

4. GhOST
These are the best of the best. Para-psychics, sorcerers, mutants, and geniuses. They're the people you call when you want a job fucking done. The players are a GhOST team, on assignment to find R'lyeh. Find it before the Esoteric Order of Dagon does, and blow it the hell up. So, y'know, a team of guys going to kill Cthulhu. There's only an entire ocean full of fishmen and Deep Ones and giant sharks and so on to stop them.

Here's a list of the current books for CthulhuTECH. Again, be aware that Wildfire has had trouble with publishers, so what books are available on the market are it. I've waited a long time for Burning Horizons, the 2nd metaplot book, but Im not sure if it will be published at all.

CthulhuTECH Core Rulebook. This book has the meat and potatoes of the system. Pretty much a dash of everything that's possible from Mecha, Tagers, and Cop/OSI agents. It has the character creation rules, and the rules for the combat and skill systems, a few pages devoted to equipment and Mecha from all factions, and Gameseeds for providing stories and hooks.

Vade Mecum. The first companion volume for the Core Rulebook. It has 2 new races (Nazzadi and Human mixed children specifically), jumps head first into para-psychics (the intuitive spellcasters to the hermetic sorcerors) and has loads of Mecha and a few new Tagers.

Unveiled Threats. This is the equipment book of the series. Most, if not all the equipment is street-level, not Mecha sized. New gadgets, sorceries and devices for characters. Also gives insights into Migou and EOD arsenals. (Rapine Storm uses salvaged tech from all sides.)

Ancient Enemies. Delves into the Shadow War between the Tagers (good guys) and the Dhohanoids (evil guys). It has info on yet more tagers and also rules for variant tagers so that no two tagers are exactly the same. Also rules for creating Dhohanoid Characters and stories.

Mortal Remains. Delves into the war against the Migou and the Nazzadi race and how they've faired since breaking from of the Migou influence and joinging Humanity. Stories and hooks for campaigns for and against the Migou, like for the Dhohanoids. Introduces some more Mecha, new vehicles of war, and the Nephilim (Fun-sized Engels). Also rules for creating Migou Characters and stories.

Dark Passions. Explores a few cults and story hooks and their insidious nature within Human Society. Very little game crunch.

Damnation View. A metacampaign book. Takes the CthulhuTECH universe into 2086 with the overall plot and arcs for the year. Operation Juneau is launched. The Rapine Storm surges through China. The Migou have a couple trump cards that they pull. Its a pretty rough year for humanity. It has story hooks and plots for everyone including new Special Service (VICE Squad) Characters.

Burning Horizons. NOT PUBLISHED YET, IF EVER. The second metacampaign book. Takes CthulhuTECH into the year 2087. Talks about the forgotten colonies of the solar system and how they may be Key players in scraping together a stalemate out of fighting the Migou. Humanity tries to take the fight into space for the first time in decades. The Rapine Storm makes inroads through Australia. You should know by now, its another pretty rough year for humanity.

So those are the four gameseeds that Rainfall had as well as brief synopsies of the available books. Personally, Im in the mood for Mecha/Engel action. Fighting the known war against The Rapine Storm, The EOD, and the Migou. Being soldiers and mecha-pilots works, since there is powered armor as well to scale down to trooper levels. Engels though, start out at about 26' and only get bigger from there.

Im gauging interest at the moment, but it'd be neat to resurrect this cool system.

Some pointers to keep in mind:

-This is a deadly system, so play smart. However, there are a lot of anime influences so if you make it sound awesome, I may be in a forgiving mood.
-This game is HP Lovecraftian Horror mixed with Manga and Anime. Insanity is possible, but it is an accepted part of life in this universe. There are tried, true and tested methods and pills to get people back on their feet with healthy outlooks on life.
-It seems weird, but Hope plays a big part in this game. It is still certainly doom and gloom, but if you dont keep hoping for better, its over. Even with swaths of the World being waylaid as the months roll by, humanity has had some spectacular victories... even if they can never told to the public at large...

If you're interested, post in this thread. Hell, if nobody wants to play we can at least talk about this game.

NotoriusBEN

Ok, here's the condensed list of pertinent information for what's been discussed so far to bring new people up to speed and for a quick look for those that'd been here a bit.

We are playing a Mecha/Engel game. That means that players will need to have characters that have emphasises in Mecha or Engel piloting.

CHARACTER CREATION

Follow the Character Creation Design Summary on page 62 of the Core Book.
     35 points to distribute between the Six Attributes.
     20 points to distribute between skills and Assets.
     10 additional points possible to aquire through Drawbacks.
     6 Cheats to spend based on the chart on page 63.

Required Skills for Players.
To be a Mecha Pilot.
     Authority 2 or 3                      (Army Ranking, Higher NCO rank or Lower Officer Rank)   
     Duty 2                                    (The job is a Pilot's life and he's on call 24/7)

To be an Engel Pilot:
     Tenacity of at least 7             (The alien intelligence of an engel is an awesome thing)
     Authority 3                             (You are the Elite of the Mecha Combat Branch of Service, and given the rank of Lieutenant.)
     Duty 3                                    (Being Elite isnt all roses. Counseling and ESI testing take up chunks of your free time.
     Engel Synthesis Interface 1

DISALLOWED ASSESTS AND DRAWBACKS
Here's the List:
Core Book
     Authority 4
     Tager
     Tager: Exceptional   
     Amnesia
     Dark Secret
     Hunted 3+
     Mystically Void
     Outsider Tainted
Vade Mecum
     Zoner
     Shadow Walker
Damnation View
     Secret Services Qualities
Mortal Remains
     Firstborn
     Nephilim Synthesis Interface
     All Migou Qualities
Ancient Enemies
    ONLY Gifted Multitasker MAY BE CHOSEN

Allowable Ages
Allowable XenoMix Ages are 16-19 (per CthuluTECH canon and Elliquiy Rules)
Allowable Whites Ages are 16-18 (per CthuluTECh canon and Elliquiy Rules)

Para-psychics and Sorcery
This is a bit grey. There is a story within one of the game books that mentions that an engel pilot was BENCHED from combat because she developed para-psychic powers. That should be a pretty good indicator that the NEG would like to use gifted Sorcerors and Psychics where their powers are most effective.

-Your powers emanate from you. Your Mecha surrounds you. If you were a Pyro, and you wanted to cast a flame attack, you would only succeed at incinerating the inside of your cockpit, so Environmental Powers are limited in power.
-Somatic Powers only affect you, they do not increase the capability of a multiton warmachine. You'd probably run the risk of damaging the controls from jerking them around so fast.
-Some Manipulative and Sensory powers could work within the mecha, but others require you to be in close proximity to your targets. Any stronger and the NEG would take notice and transfer you to a different service.

If your hellbent on playing a magical tank pilot... submit your character sheet and we'll discuss it. Just be prepared to nix something or have unexpected consequences during gameplay.

Character Sheet

Name/CallSign
Race
Profession
Allegience
Place of Birth
Sex
Flaw
Distinguishing Features

SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES
Reflex
Orgone
Vitality
Actions
Movement (Miles per Hour, Yards per Turn)
   MPH
   Sprint ypt
   Cautions ypt

Drama Points
Experience

Health
        Flesh             
        Light              -  -1 Test Penalty
        Moderate       -  -3 Test Penalty, 1/2 Move, Max 2 Actions, 1/2 Armor
        Serious          -  -6 Test Penalty, Crawl Only, Max 1 Actions, No Armor, Sanity Check
        Death's Door -  Unconscious and Possibly Dieing or in Coma

ATTRIBUTES

Agility                                        .
     Agility Feat
     Athletics
     Armed Fighting
     Criminal
     Dodge
     Fighting
     Pilot
     Stealth
     Thrown Weapons

Intellect
     Intellect Feat
     Archanotechnician R*
     Archanotech Engineering  R*
     Armourer  *
     Bureaucracy
     Business
     Communications  *
     Computers  *
     Culture
     Demolitons  *
     Education
     Engineering  R*
     History
     Larceny  *
     Law Enforcement
     Literacy
     Medicine  R*
     Munitions  *
     Occult  *
     Research
     Savoir-Faire
     Science(Earth)  R*
     Science(Life)  R*
     Science(Physical)  R*
     Security  *
     Streetwise
     Surveillance
     Technician  *

* Professional Skill
R Has Requirements

Presence                                            .
     Presence Feat
     Intimidate
     Misdirect
     Performance
     Persuade
     Seduction

Strength
     Strength Feat

Tenacity
     Tenacity Feat
     Survival

Misc
      Hobbies, Languages,etc.

Specializations

QUALITIES
+-______________________
+-______________________
+-______________________
+-______________________
+-______________________
+-______________________
+-______________________

SPECIAL ABILITIES

INSANITY
     Disorders

COMBAT
Weapon     Dmg     Shots     Rnds     Cal     Rng S/M/L     DAMAGE BONUS

+2 / -  / -2
                                                              Range Bonus

Armor                 Protection
                                    /
                         Trauma / Projectile

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Questions and Answers

Can we have Humans driving Nazzadi mecha?     
Yes, Humans can drive Nazzadi Mecha. I dont see a reason to segregate the military even though some racial tensions are still high in the years following the 1st Arcanotech War.

And are we taking Mecha from all the books that they appear in?  
Yes, all mecha will be available at the start of 2085. I was going to roll out mecha at later dates, but engels require long sync times and yea... pilots get attached to their particular engel. I just dont see them swapping them out with regularity. Id feel violated if someone else used *my* engel.

Can you have a skeleton sheet for us to fill out? Pleeease?  :D
See Above.

So we are going with the mecha thing so would an intelligence type agent being attached to the unit be okay?
Im not going to limit you in your choices save for those assets and drawbacks I've listed. Keep in mind you will be in a Military Environment aboard a Battlecruiser or on the Front-lines for the most part. It could be good to get the rumors aboard the ship, but for the most part information is held pretty tightly and on Need-to-Know. However, the natives in your Op Area would be good sources of information. Just be aware that this is a military campaign. There is some intrigue, but its more 'Band of Brothers' than 'Borne Identity'.

What is the deadline for character sheets?
January 20th, characters NEED to be turned in.
The game thread will be created that weekend.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Marie Reynolds

I would not mind being apart of this. I would cast my vote for tagers. but im not drastically opposed to other options.

Callie Del Noire

I'd jump in but I seem to jinx games so I'll just lurk.

ReijiTabibito

I'm with Muse.  I tried to get a CTech game going here on E...but I seem to jinx myself whenever I commit to running a system group game.

I'm casting my vote for the GhOSTS option, though I will tentatively support the Engels/Mecha options, as well.  No offense meant to the Eldritch Society, but I'm tired of everyone wanting to play a gritty street-level game.  I want some epic action, dammit!

ChaoticSky

Also interested.
For me, Mech/Engel primary, ghost secondary, tagers third.

ShadowFox89

I'm interested. Same order of interest as Darkling above me.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Latooni Subota

Holy crap, a Ctech game? here? Neat! It's a sometimes-complicated system, but damnit, the fluff is awesome.

Sign me up for Tagers or Mecha/Engels.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Callie Del Noire

NotoriusBEN

Alrighty then.

I'll start up something here in the next week or so. Since its a few peoples first choice, a lot of others' second choice, and the rest not against it.

We will play a Mecha/Engel game.

So... to keep in most of the action, people will need to be Mecha and Engel pilots.
The big difference between those two pilot types is flexability. Mecha pilots can switch 'frames pretty easily and choose the right tool for the right job. Engel pilots are pretty much relegated to the one machine/monster due to the ESI chip. We are fighting in 2085 for starters so Nephilim have yet to be fielded. (I probably wont field them because of their volatility).

At the start of the campaign, you will be near Fort Ord, California (just south of San Francisco). Your Mecha Division will be linked with the new battlecruiser, NES Victory. Some of you may be reconstituted forces from other fronts (Anchorage, China, Hawaii, New York) or you may be fresh from basic and the Mecha Academy at Yuma, Arizona. Most of your characters' time will be spent stationed in the Pacific Northwest near the Seattle Arcology, fighting the Migou, but you may be pulled to other hotspots around the Pacific Ring of Fire.

I'll flesh out some details this week, characters dont need to be made yet and you'd be *way* ahead of the curve otherwise. But go ahead and toss out some ideas or suggestions on what you want from the game as well as questions if your confused on certain aspects of it.

One other thing...

My job can become pretty demanding at times. I will endeavor to do much better than my previous two games (probably because I burnt out running TWO games with a heavy work cycle), but I just want to make sure people know about that. I wont drop it like the others, but if we have to stop, we will get to a satisfying conclusion.

ShadowFox89

Hmmm... We will be expecting heavy amphibious combat then?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ReijiTabibito

What he said.  Also, BEN, question.  Can we have Humans driving Nazzadi mecha?  And are we taking Mecha from all the books that they appear in?  There's a couple in Mortal Remains that are tucked away in there...

NotoriusBEN

Yes, Humans can Nazzadi Mecha, and vice versa. I'd doubt the Military is segregated as such even though there are Nazzadi only spec-ops that operate superbly at night.

I was going to have something along the lines of clearing certain mecha for certain missions.
As the characters proved themselves, they'd be able to requisition bigger and badder things.

Engel pilots, since they only have the 'one' thing to drive, Im toying with some ideas too, but not until we shake out a combat or two or if anyone is even interested in them. They already have a lot of combat stamina due to their horrific regen and bestial armament. Keep in mind that if you pick a Saraphim or Chasmal, the enemy will respond in kind. Everyone knows that when you deploy one of these two monsters, some serious shit is going down and nobody is fuckin around.

ReijiTabibito

I'd be interested in driving an Engel.  I'd probably be an Auphan or Malach driver, if I end up doing it.

ShadowFox89

Ben, you are making me tempted to be stomping around a Seraphim....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

Ive always been very fond of the Aral.

...or the Chasmal if we need something heavier/someone else wants a Aral more

Latooni Subota

I'm a girl that loves Engels, especially the lighter ones. Not sure what I'd specifically want, because I need to re-read through them to try and remember which ones I like, but hey. There's time for that :P
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

ShadowFox89

I have in my mind a rather subdued and shy Engel pilot, stomping around in a massive Seraphim Engel declaring how he's going to tear apart any enemy he sees.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Latooni Subota on January 08, 2012, 10:18:53 PM
I'm a girl that loves Engels, especially the lighter ones. Not sure what I'd specifically want, because I need to re-read through them to try and remember which ones I like, but hey. There's time for that :P
As a quick forward; the Aral, Auphan and Tarshish are the smallest Engels. The first is the smallest, and a stealth unit, the second is a (literal) speed demon, and the third is a close combat urban specialist. All three are in the core book.

Muse

Guess you need someone to do the versatile stuff.  :) 

These are two minor charecters from a game I'm running.  (Currently on hold while one of our gals is away.)

I'd like ot play Sean in this game, and if you'd want, i can represent Brandon from time to time to add some flavor. 

Senior Sub-Lieutenant Sean Tavish: Human Mech Pilot
Call Sign: Airbrush
Allegiance: New Earth Government Navy
Sex/Age: Male/23        Height/Weight: 5'11/170lbs
Eyes: Deep Gray           Hair: Copper pony-tail, several inches on top.
Skin: Fair. No facial hair at the moment.
Mech: His favorite is a stealthy mech he calls Kakarembo. 
A pony-tailed redhead of Irish American descent, he works hard, drinks deep, and celebrates with all his heart. The stories he and his sister made up when they were teenagers he now writes graphic novels of, and has sometimes airbrushed his characters onto friend's mechs and planes. 

Petty Officer Brandon Watson: Xenomix Technician
Call Sign:
Allegiance: New Earth Government Navy
Sex/Age: Male/23       Height/Weight: Very skinny.
Eyes: Lavender           Hair: Midnight black, longish, 3” or so.
Skin: Silver-grey, clean shaven.
Young and brilliant, Brandon needs to touch things.  Engines, mechs, people.  He'll fix a new friends car just for the fun of it.  Brandon is innovative.  If crossing a wire to see if it makes something work blows a gasket out, he can always fix it. 

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

NotoriusBEN

I have a pretty good idea of the first campaign arc. I just need to sit down and hash out the overarcing details. Which I can do during nights this week.

I'll have plenty of time over this weekend, so I'll be taking pictures from the book, GoogleMaps and other places to get something looking cool. I'll have something up tonight or tomorrow for what's allowed/disallowed/required of your characters. (Grr. We need a Character Generator like DnD4e).

ShadowFox89

Can you have a skeleton sheet for us to fill out? Pleeease? :D
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ReijiTabibito

If you Google Voidstate, they have on there a free character sheet for CTech to download, print, and fill out.

ShadowFox89

Yeah, except I'm lacking a printer. Doesn't help me too much.......
Call me Shadow
My A/A