Fallout: Traders (Interest Check)

Started by Dingo, April 09, 2008, 06:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

Fallout: Traders
System: M&M2
Setting: Post-Nucleair Apocalypse

Information: For those familiar with the Fallout series, this game will be based on that setting, and the players will be members of a caravan of traders, peddlers, guards and carnival people.

Exact details I still need to work out, but this is an interest check.

Xillen

Post-Apocalyptic! <3

Interested, but not 100% sure I'll be joining. I don't know the M&M2 system at all (don't even know where it stands for). I played both Fallout games, but it's been quite a while.

How Adult-Heavy is it going to be?

SerpentKiss

M&M I'm presuming, stands for the rules set, Monsters and Mayhem. I'll also speak to Sabbat about this as I know he's looking for a post-apocalyptic game with a system (he's never tried it before)

Dingo

Whoops, perhaps not to clear, but it's Mutants and Masterminds (easilly adapted to run nearly everything).

Adult content: I'm thinking 18+, but staying away from X-rated.

Xillen

I would've assumed the adult content, but do you know if it's leaning to storyheavy with some adult thrown in or the other way around? In the latter case, I'm probably bailing out.

SerpentKiss

The masses want story...feed us story!

Sabby

Uhh... sure, I'll play. Beats making up my own universe and beastiary. Or... *contemplates locking self away to make his own universe and beastiary*

Nah, I'll just tag along.

SerpentKiss

Ahhh crap *realises that to play this game he'll have to leave his little universe and bestiary*

Sabby

If I wanted to, I could actually go ahead and make a fully functional world (enemies, factions, powers, laws, characters, ect) but I don't actually know much about Fallout in the first place...

The Great Triangle

I'm quite interested, fallout being a favorite setting of mine, but have a few questions:

What version of the fallout cannon will the game be based on?

Will Wasteland be accepted as a setting element?  (There are references to the game in Fallout 1, but it was kept ambiguous for legal reasons.)

What period will the game be set in?  Before Fallout 1, After Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics Period?

Also, how cannonical will Fallout Tactics be considered?  (There are certain things from that game such as the brotherhood airships and the Fascist tendancies of the brotherhood east which are somewhat contradictory of the main setting, not to mention Vault 0.)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Dingo

Not set in the area of Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. Set someplace else. These will be long distance traders akin to the silk route, joining a group going to reach the other coast.

Likely after the Fallout 2 setting, but that does not matter too much considering the location is different and they will head to places none of the player characters have gone before.

Fallout Tactics I did only skim over, I did not like it much. Wasteland I could never find.

Sabby

I could some how incorporate my character being as ignorant as I am about it. Then my weakness in this becomes an IC element XD

The Great Triangle

The fallout setting is full of ignorant people, in fact, it's a recurring theme of the setting that nobody really knows much about the world, usually not having travelled far from their communities.  Those that have seen the world were often greatly mutated by the hazards of a post nuclear world, potentially ending up looking like this fellow:

Two common sources of know nothings are the vaults, high tech fallout shelters capable of acting as fully functioning societies for hundreds of years before opening for the resettlement of the wastes, and the tribes, groups of people who, having been born in the wastes, simply created their own society without paying any attention to the world they lived in.

Ons and Offs

Sabby

Theres something about old style CGI I adore... like Abes Oddysee. Off Topic, I know :P

srl

Stattick

I don't know jack about Fallout. I don't know jack about M&M other then it's an incarnation of of DnD's OGL. But I'm awefully tempted if my ignorance can be dealt with.

EDIT: When you said M&M, I sorta automatically assumed super powers. Is this the case in this setting, or no?
O/O   A/A

Dingo

No superpowers. I'm using it because M&M can also be used as a (in my opinion) nice generic level-less roleplaying system.

That said, it's almost level-less. Also the characters are humans, ordinary humans with potential to become more. No supermutants, deathclaws or ghoul PC's allowed, but I am working on some specific rules to use. As there are great diversities between the technologies of this setting.

There are roughly three levels of technology available. I am working on creating a few sample "packages" for origins of characters which roughly come down to: Primitive, Standard, Advanced for tech levels, and Clan, Democracy, Dictatorship for societal levels, and three lifestyles: Settled, Semi-Nomidic and Nomadic.

Those packages will either serve as examples or they are obligatory for your character's background. More specific details I am still thinking about.

The Great Triangle

Aww, no ghouls?  I kind of wanted to play as an old as radioactive isotopes ghoul tracker who acts as the caravan's advance scout and guide, always having some comeback to give to the smoothskin whippersnappers who think they know everything just because they don't start glowing at night. 

However, I'd be willing to come up with another character concept, although I'm somewhat nervous about your statement: "with the potential to become more" since one of the main themes of fallout is that mutation does not make a person any more or less than human.  It was proved that mutants aren't any better than humans in Fallout 1, then the main arc of Fallout 2 suggested that mutants may end up supplanting humanity, but that it does not really matter, since they're not really different.  Having the players transform into something "more than human" would be quite against the themes of the games.

Again, it's not really a dealbreaker, just something I wanted to voice, if you want to run a game more about the civilized/uncivilized conflict in fallout than the human/mutant conflict, then it would be easier to mute those parts of the setting by having human PC's only.

Ons and Offs

Dingo

QuoteAlso the characters are humans, ordinary humans with potential to become more.

Emphasis placed to increase the importance I placed in my mind.

Dingo

Character Creation Rules

15pp or less to attributes (allowed to drop a maximum of 4 points for other attributes)
10pp or less to attack&defense
8pp or less to saves (no toughness save bought)
5pp or less to feats (Equipment is bought through feats)
7pp (or more) to skills

PL 5

Feats: I do allow 2 points of the feat: Toughness at most, but I am very careful with allowing feats that allow bonusses to attack or defense. (Flat out)

Still working on:
I will require weapon proficiencies, as well as feats for special applications of certain skills and advanced technologies, but I have not defined them entirely yet.

The campaign starts in Spire, a city up in the north, named for it's remaining landmark, located on a beautiful bay, and the central city of the area. The area itself is suffering immensely from a fungus, lethal to humans that attacks their crops. Food is plentiful, but poisonous, causing severe halucinations and emotional instabillity amongst those poisoned. Lethal ones.

SerpentKiss

*needs help as he doesn't know the system, let alone character creation*

Stattick

I think I'm gonna withdraw from this one... I've been feeling a little pinched for time in some of my games lately, so it's probably irresponsible to join another one, especially since I have one or two one-on-ones that might be going to active soon.
O/O   A/A

Dingo

Quote from: Xillen on April 09, 2008, 07:36:46 AM
I would've assumed the adult content, but do you know if it's leaning to storyheavy with some adult thrown in or the other way around? In the latter case, I'm probably bailing out.

It's going to have a story first, any adult themes are likely to be initiated by the players.

SerpentKiss

Str 15 +2
Dex 14 +2
Con 16 +3
Int 12 +1
Wis 10 +/-0
Cha 8 -1

BAB 3
AC 2

Toughness 0 + 3 = 3
Fortitude 2 + 3 = 5
Reflex 4 + 2 = 6
Will 2 + 0 = 2

5pp or less to feats (Equipment is bought through feats)
7pp (or more) to skills

Well that's the character so far...hope I did that right...going for a big fighter type. Knows how to handle himself etc, but can be persuaded to other points of view.

Dingo

I found a link to a wiki with all things Fallout. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Also I am more than willing to assist people with the whole M&M2 bit. I also have a current list of interested people.

SRL
Xillen
Greenthorn

I am looking for maybe one more.