Worryied about sucking at roleplay?

Started by Abagail, November 20, 2012, 08:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abagail

Hello, I am kind of shy about getting started and roleplaying on the forum, I worry I may fail and put someone off me. My grammer and spellings can be bad at times and I am still bettering myself all the time.

My question is, does anyone have any tips for me? should I keep roleplay to my pm's at first and go from that and try shy away from being worry to much? I am not really sure what to do! hopefully you wonderful people can give me some hints and help and even ways to find people who would play in private at first with me!

Thanks! :D

Lilias

You can start by reading around the boards. If you're not sure how to do something, you can learn a whole lot from other writers who can.

We have a built-in spellchecker (the button is right next to the 'post' button). Use it. Even good spellers can have a dumb now and then.

Make sure you discuss thoroughly with your prospective partner before the game actually stars, to see if you are compatible. If your literacy levels, post length and frequency don't match, you will both be disappointed and put off, whether that's in PM or in open forum.

It can be daunting to write in the open for the first time, but keep in mind that most people are too busy with their own stories to trawl around for other people's stories to bash. Sometimes, though, you get a PM from someone who liked one of your stories, and that makes everything worthwhile.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Naiah

NileGoddess

Quote from: Abagail on November 20, 2012, 08:33:31 AM
Hello, I am kind of shy about getting started and roleplaying on the forum, I worry I may fail and put someone off me. My grammer and spellings can be bad at times and I am still bettering myself all the time.

My question is, does anyone have any tips for me? should I keep roleplay to my pm's at first and go from that and try shy away from being worry to much? I am not really sure what to do! hopefully you wonderful people can give me some hints and help and even ways to find people who would play in private at first with me!

Thanks! :D

Well, when anyone starts anything, they'll certainly be shaky at it, especially if they have no prior experience. I cringe when I look at some of the first fanfictions I ever wrote, either from how bad or loose the concept is, or just how bad the writing is. Eventually, you'll get better at writing. It took me years to find out the proper use of it's and its. Things will always slip through though, so no one is perfect.

Also, don't forget that you are roleplaying with a partner, so it's always a good idea to get feedback and ideas from them, especially if you are stumped. That way you can both pursue and discuss ideas that you both enjoy.

Abagail

Thank you for all the replys and information so far. I am used to roleplaying on IRC mostly. I kind of have a wonderful mind full of ideas but getting that put into a roleplay scene is a whole another story. I can create whole worlds from just a few ideas someone brings up.

Another Question if I may? If say, I wished to create a world for others to play within, is there a forum for this, kind of like a gamemaster for a scene, someone who may not be part of the scene as a being but may shape the scene, like making a storm come across or a flood of a local town? or does it not work that way.

Beguile's Mistress

Naiah