A no 4th wall game (Oots style)

Started by GoldenChild, December 18, 2006, 03:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldenChild

The easiest way to explain what a “no 4th wall game” is would be to point at the web comic called: the Order of the sticks created by Rich Burlew.
It is a concept where your character knows that he is part of a game more or less, he knows the rules behind the game, the typical events of RPG; that the morning comes instantly if everybody is done for the night and nothing happens, the character knows if they just failed a skill roll, they know what is on their character sheets and so on.
I have been wanting to run a comedy game of this type for quite some time now and looking for others that are interested. Biggest question would be what type of game? Rules or freeform? What system if any?...

Muse

Oh!  That is a fun idea! 

Systems are particularly good in a game where the charecters know that there's a magical peice of paper somewhere with a bunch of numbers that describe all their capablities. 

D&D in one of it's incarnations or another probably has the most potential for fun and satyr, though it could be VERY intresting to see World of Darkness or Exalted get Order of the Sticked. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Celestial Goblin

WoD getting the order of the stick treatment...!
You are brilliant like a rising star.
Someone make that comic.

GoldenChild

WoD as base for this type of game would work just fine I think... ok, so now all we need is players :)

Muse

Yo! 

Sign me up for an Akashic Brohter or Corax, perhaps? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jefepato

The idea of running this freeform seems a little bizarre.  This wouldn't be half as funny without rules to refer to.

Are we talking oWoD or nWoD?

GoldenChild

That is up to you, I can do both... even if I think the comedy will be better with oWoD.

Jefepato

I tend to agree with oWoD over nWoD, mostly because I'm more familiar with it (even if we'd have to decide exactly which version of the rules we were on).

GoldenChild

Jefepato

Quote from: GoldenChild on December 18, 2006, 02:14:11 PM
Revised where that is possible?

I don't quite follow what you're asking, but I can tell you that the two biggest differences I've noticed between versions of the oWoD are 1) how specialties work (usually a reduction in difficulty vs. rerolling 10s), and 2) how rolling 1s and botching works (in some versions, you can only botch if you had no successes even before subtracting 1s).

GoldenChild

Well for instance Changling the Dreaming never got a revised edition (which itself isn't any problem), so if anyone wanted to play a changling then we only have 2nd edition to go on. Most other games has revised rules.

Another big difference with revised is the way damage is done, in revised the added bashing, lethal and aggravated (which already existed) wounds.

I don't have Kindred of the East stuff.

Celestial Goblin

I don't think we should care about mechanics much. If the game is supposed to be comedic, there's no need for a lot of tension and thus conflicts became less important.
Thus, I'm happy with whatever rule system you pick. My character can even have a flaw 'doesn't know which edition it is' or somesuch.

GoldenChild

If you are referring to the constant hatred between vampires and werewolves then such things is off the table of course :)

Jefepato

Quote from: Celestial Goblin on December 18, 2006, 03:32:21 PM
I don't think we should care about mechanics much. If the game is supposed to be comedic, there's no need for a lot of tension and thus conflicts became less important.

But the crux of the humor is that the characters are aware of the mechanics.  Not caring about them defeats the purpose entirely.

Although that's certainly an amusing flaw.

GoldenChild

You miss understood me  8)

A werewolf is more or less forced to hate all vampires (it is in the rules), but going without a 4th wall such things should be easily be looked aside since the character knows the rules, he knows that it is just something that is typed in the rules and that the hate towards vampires don't have to be on every vampire since not every vampire is a true follower of the wyrm.

WarDragon

If this was D&D, I'd join up... guess it's too late to toss that vote in, though.

Jefepato

Quote from: GoldenChild on December 18, 2006, 11:13:07 PM
You miss understood me  8)

I wasn't responding to you, though.  The conflict between werewolves and vampires has nothing to do with "mechanics."

Except in a few isolated instances, I suppose, like the Supernatural Companion merit or the fact that vampires with Humanity <7 ping on Sense Wyrm regardless of actual Wyrm involvement.  But the actual conflict is a matter of flavor, not mechanics.

GoldenChild

Quote from: WarDragon on December 18, 2006, 11:18:50 PM
If this was D&D, I'd join up... guess it's too late to toss that vote in, though.

I could set up a game for D&D too, it interest existed for it of course...

Here is the game; https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=294.0

It is placed in heavy at the moment but lets discuss the game a bit and then move it to where we want it.

GoldenChild

Zakharra

This is also like this game,
http://goblinscomic.com/
, where the characters know about levels, feats, skills and the like.

strenoth

hmmm, I could play a Fallen... or if you were REALLY open minded, I could go with Aberrant :) just random ideas, not sure if I want to really
Sexual Orientation: Straight
BDSM Orientation: Switch
Sexual Limitations: Site limits, no male-on-male

Jefepato

Quote from: strenoth on December 24, 2006, 08:34:55 PM
hmmm, I could play a Fallen... or if you were REALLY open minded, I could go with Aberrant :) just random ideas, not sure if I want to really

Aberrant is a very different system and can't even begin to fit with the WoD.

GoldenChild