Question about Amazon Fire 7 tablet

Started by PennySludt, February 06, 2018, 02:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PennySludt

I'm wondering if there's any way to disable the lock screen on an Amazon Fire 7 tablet? All I can find is how to add a passcode. Nothing about completely disabling the swipe/lock screen. My phone has the option of not having it, but I can't find any information on not having one on the tablet. I'd like to be able to access it easily when I need to pause my audiobook while driving, instead of having to unlock and swipe it every time I want to hit pause.
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

Naiah

Try this, from google

How do I disable lock screen password Kindle Fire?

• Swipe down from the top of the screen and then tap Settings.
  • Tap Security & Privacy.
  • Next to Lock Screen Password, tap OFF

PennySludt

That only turns off the actual password. It still has the swipe function so I have to swipe the screen to get to the home page from the lock screen, even though it's technically not 'locked' with a password.
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

Naiah

Jag

Amazon does not want the swipe screen to go away because it is a source of advertisement for them. Unless you pay extra for your device to not have advertisements, they use that screen to display products and try to boost sales. If they had a way to disable it, they would have to take away the ads. Sadly, they won't do that.

Hell, even if you pay extra to remove the ads, they still force you to keep the swipe screen.

*former Amazon Kindle employee*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Lexandria

Can you fix it so the screen doesn't time out? I didn't know about most tablets, but with m phone I have it fixed so I have to turn the screen off manually, and that way it doesn't lock me out when I don't want it to.

CriminalMindsFan

You can set a high time out time to keep the display on longer when not using it. That could drain power faster though.

evilregallover88

I tried forever to disable it and I couldn't. I don't think its possible. :(

Inari

You could always root it. Rooting Android devices makes them more flexible. My SO rooted my phone and I have been able to control what does and doesn't go on there. (Since usually default installs refuse to budge!) I believe that rooting your device might be the only way around it.

Jag

Quote from: Starcry on February 08, 2018, 12:29:35 PM
You could always root it. Rooting Android devices makes them more flexible. My SO rooted my phone and I have been able to control what does and doesn't go on there. (Since usually default installs refuse to budge!) I believe that rooting your device might be the only way around it.

Please wait till your warranty expires before trying something like this. Amazon will report your device and your account if you try to call for help involving a rooted device. I've seen them lock out people's accounts for it.

Remember, anything digital you purchase from Amazon (kindle books, instant videos, and apps/games) are not actually yours. You purchased a digital right and not a product, which Amazon reserves the right to take them away from you and not refund you at any time with little to no explanation.

EDIT: Also, rooting certain devices is illegal. I'm not sure if Kindles are (I know iPads are). So better safe than sorry and just not do it.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

The Dark Raven

Kindles probably are but best to check Amazon policy on that first. ;)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

PennySludt

I don't have any ads on my lock screen but I did end up setting it to 30 minutes before timeout, and I usually end up pausing or rewinding it before that point, so it's okay. It's just annoying to have to keep it on :P Thanks everyone!