DnD 3.5 Unlimited: Legendary Monsters Recruitment part2!

Started by Zaer Darkwail, January 07, 2016, 09:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

yay for monies! :) 

not a cohort, Zaer.  I was talking about my paladin mount.  : )
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zaer Darkwail

Oh! Well, there in dragon magic there is paladin variant who gets dragon sort flying horse mount. Normally it's large size but with your levels it could reach huge size. But as yourself huge I allow the said species of dragon able reach one size category bigger size (I think there was template called 'giant' which increased size category by one to any creature, costing like +1 or +2 LA).

TheGlyphstone

Would the 'special companion/ally' upgrade work instead, Zaer? Everyone's gotten their introduction story/adventure that ended with the usual choice of rewards, would a suitably sized dragon willing to bear the character into battle qualify for the powerful companion clause?

Zaer Darkwail

Ah yeah, that's possible also that as one free freebie Muse chooses dragon companion but then it would not be paragon.

Sahariel

So, I have a really good background story, and I have been trying to come up with a potential build. At this point, I am leaning towards this build:

Path 1: Dread Necromancer 9/Master Vampire 3
Path 2: Swashbuckler 8/Assassin 4
Path 3: Incubus (6 HD) Anti-Saint (+2 LA) Monster of Legend (+2 LA)

Is this a viable build? Any suggestions on ways to spend the last +2 LA in path three?

TheGlyphstone

Monster of Legend is on the forbidden list, because it just gives far too much for its CR boost. So you've got +4 LA to spend on the monster path.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Sahariel on January 26, 2016, 10:20:15 PM
So, I have a really good background story, and I have been trying to come up with a potential build. At this point, I am leaning towards this build:

Path 1: Dread Necromancer 9/Master Vampire 3
Path 3: Incubus (6 HD) Anti-Saint (+2 LA) Monster of Legend (+2 LA)

Is this a viable build? Any suggestions on ways to spend the last +2 LA in path three?

I see master vampire in your classes but not actual vampire anywhere in your templates
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Zaer Darkwail

Aye, Monster of Legend is forbidden template. Also note you can have only single PrC on either pat 1 or 2 (meaning you cannot have PrC in both paths) and also cannot multiclass expect in one path.

So example;

Path 1: Rogue 5/Assassin 8
Path 2: Psychic Warrior 13
Path 3: Raksasha (CR 10) + Deep Half-Dragon (+3 LA)

Above is sample of accetable build, you cannot however go like this;

Path 2: Warlock 5/Wizard 5/Eldricth Theurge 3

You can however (if bit unoptimized) go like this example;

Path 2: Cleric 5/Bard 2/Knight 5

Overall point is that your bit limited how you can take PrC's and such. However master vampire levels can be placed to monster side like this (although your not a vampire at all unless you add vampire template to your incubus and if follow that idea I get this path formation);

Path 1: Dread Necromancer 13
Path 2: Swashbuckler 8/Assassin 5
Path 3: Incubus (6 HD) + Vampire (8 LA)

Yes, new players start at 13th level as mentioned in first post :P. Also do note that swashbuckler, as a class, does no longer excist (it was merged with monk to form a newly reformed monk class). You can create swashbuckler sort figther either taking levels as monk (and take rapiers or elven thinblades as monk weapons) or go take levels as Knight (which is Knight base class and figther class merged together and figther no longer excists and Knight's code can be adjusted to fit any alignment).

TheGlyphstone

You really need to host a link to your Houserules page in the first post. Should probably add a list of the various blacklisted/banned items as well (MoL, Illithid Savant/Greater Doppleganger, etc.)

Sahariel

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 26, 2016, 10:54:39 PM
Monster of Legend is on the forbidden list, because it just gives far too much for its CR boost. So you've got +4 LA to spend on the monster path.

Oh, thank you. I must have missed that when I was reading through the threads. Granted, it's been a few days.

QuoteI see master vampire in your classes but not actual vampire anywhere in your templates

Sorry about that, in one of my earlier builds I was mulling over a vampire; I am still thinking of dipping into Pale Master in path 1.

Path 1: Dread Necromancer 12
Path 3: Incubus (6 HD) Anti-Saint (+2 LA)

Sahariel

QuoteAye, Monster of Legend is forbidden template. Also note you can have only single PrC on either pat 1 or 2 (meaning you cannot have PrC in both paths) and also cannot multiclass expect in one path.

Okay, I'll stick with Dread Necromancer in Path 1.

TheGlyphstone

Shadow Creature might be a template to look into if you're going for a stealthy character - permanent Total Concealment in shadows is a nice way to potentially set up reliable Sneak Attack/Death Attack.

You should probably go Swashbucklemonk 5/Assassin 8, rather than  8/5 - neither Swashbuckler nor Monk have much to offer beyond level 5, and the sooner you finish out Assassin the quicker you can pick up another PrC, like Chameleon.

Zaer Darkwail

Aye, you can take PrC's after you finish one which you started. Also indeed I need edit the house rule thread and create brand new one which includes 'banned' stuff :P.

Sahariel

QuotePath 1: Dread Necromancer 13
Path 2: Swashbuckler 8/Assassin 5
Path 3: Incubus (6 HD) + Vampire (8 LA)

Is this an acceptable third path? Wouldn't this put me one LA/HD beyond the third path limit?

Sahariel

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 26, 2016, 11:54:04 PM
Shadow Creature might be a template to look into if you're going for a stealthy character - permanent Total Concealment in shadows is a nice way to potentially set up reliable Sneak Attack/Death Attack.

You should probably go Swashbucklemonk 5/Assassin 8, rather than  8/5 - neither Swashbuckler nor Monk have much to offer beyond level 5, and the sooner you finish out Assassin the quicker you can pick up another PrC, like Chameleon.

Shadow Creature looks great, and Swashbucklmonks really aren't that great after 5. I will check out Chameleon, too. I am going for a Stealth/Melee build, and the character's inspired by a character I played years ago. So, whatever build I settle on, I'd like to incorporate levels of Swashbuckler in the martial path and Incubus in the Monster path.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Sahariel on January 27, 2016, 12:19:53 AM
Is this an acceptable third path? Wouldn't this put me one LA/HD beyond the third path limit?

Templated use CR not LA for this game. Youd have Incubus 6 + Vampire 2
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on January 27, 2016, 12:30:24 AM

Actually for base monsters (like incubus) we use HD or CR whichever is the highest of the two. I checked Succubus (female version of incubus) has CR 7. With templates we use LA and if no LA is listed we use CR instead. At least I remember we are doing it this way now. So Incubus (CR 7) + Vampire (LA 8) equals as 15 levels as monster/template combo. But as mentioned if want play as shadowy demonic assassin, the shadow creature template is very great for that purpose and could count as inherit (born with) template. So leaving room for strong added template.

Quote from: Sahariel on January 27, 2016, 12:19:53 AM

Aye, indeed your correct and it was my bad (fail at math :P). But your starting level is 13. But also every player is given one freebie which is either companion, artifact or a level up (so could start up as 14 level/monster if you use freebie for that). Anycase as mentioned swashbuckler as a class does not excist (it got merged with monk), so you could take 5 levels as a monk and enter assassin class.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on January 27, 2016, 12:30:24 AM

Could a player do a lich + demilich?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on January 27, 2016, 12:50:23 AM
Could a player do a lich + demilich?

Demilich has CR 29, so nop :P. At least as starting char, but could evolve over course of the game.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 27, 2016, 01:45:08 AM
Demilich has CR 29, so nop :P. At least as starting char, but could evolve over course of the game.

Admittedly, that's because the base creature is a Level 21 Wizard. The Demilich template itself is only +6 CR, on top of the +2 CR from Lich for a total of +8, but you get a downright absurd amount of stuff for that +6 CR. So by the rules we've currently established, it would technically be legal, but a de facto blacklisting for an Epic-grade template prior to Epic levels makes a lot of sense.

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, no epic monsters/templates until you hit 21 HD. Paragon creature is only one your going get for now and need pick other templates fill the gap. Anycase thanks for the clarification TheGlyphstone about demilich CR.

Snake

So far I have a

Mature Adult Half-Silver Dragon Red Dragon

HD: 25d12+725
Str: 56| Dex: 25| Con: 45| Int: 35| Wis: 34| Cha: 35

But Here's something to Zaer's approval:

Silver Dragons gain Alternate form 3/day and Fog Cloud 3/day; Is it acceptable that a Hybrid would have at least that?

TheGlyphstone

Why would a half-dragon have the full SLA's as both of its full-blood counterparts? I could see them being swapped in place of existing draconic SLA's, like giving up the Red's Locate Object at Juvenile age for the Silver's Feather Fall at Juvenile age though. Chromatics usually have to take a feat to get Alternate Form.

Snake

Because Locate Object is fairly useless unless you're specifically doing something like Treasure hunting or artifact recovery and Feather fall is useless when you can already fly naturally. Whereas Fog Cloud is semi-useful.

TheGlyphstone

My point is that you're just asking for free stuff out of nowhere that isn't part of the template. Zaer will be a lot more likely to accept the addition if you offer something of roughly equivalent value to give up, even if you consider it useless.