[Interest Check] Elemental: War of Magic

Started by JadeCore, September 08, 2010, 10:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JadeCore

I've recently been playing a lot of Elemental: War of Magic and I find the setting/premise pretty interesting. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in goofing around in a game of it.

As for what it is? Well, basically it's like a post-apocalyptic fantasy world.
---
One hundred years ago, the Titans warred for control of the magical essence of the world. They dragged people into their wars, taking them as followers and more. They would capture the essence into elemental shards which would become focus points of the fighting. Eventually, mortal channellers would arise; people that could control the magic of the shards themselves. In the end though, the world would be left in ruins by the Cataclysm. Cities lost, the land left lifeless and barren, knowledge forgotten, and so forth. People became refugees and wanderers.

In the present day (which the game takes place), a few mortal channellers have found fertile land and have attracted followers to essentially re-establish civilization.
---
The world is something of a mix of both high and low fantasy. Magic is common in the sense that it's everywhere and it's not particularly mysterious. However, it is not really like the magic of most fantasy settings. Channellers generally do not cast lightning bolts and fireballs from their hands; most of their powers are more manipulative. They summon things, they imbue others with their power, and they empower the land to support life. So while magic is common, it's more of an unseen force that supports.

Its the difference between wizards and people with magical skills or mages as mobile artillery platforms and mages as fantasy special forces.

BraveEarth

Jade I like this although I am a bit confused by the shards of magic... so Magic needs to be concentrated in order to work with it meaning that there is magic every where but too thin to  use... how does it replenish though and how do the shards work?

hgb

I would be interested in toying around with this setting. That game has so much potential... It really does need some more polish, and some improvements, but I like the developer, and that game has promise. Did you have anything more specific in mind than just that setting, or is that a surprise?

JadeCore

Quote from: BraveEarth on September 09, 2010, 12:13:28 PM
Jade I like this although I am a bit confused by the shards of magic... so Magic needs to be concentrated in order to work with it meaning that there is magic every where but too thin to  use... how does it replenish though and how do the shards work?

I haven't read the book so I am probably off, but basically, magic is like... atomic energy. It's everywhere but unless you're powerful, you gotta contain it for practical storage (shards). Channellers are those born with the ability to use magic themselves though it still requires study and such to learn 'spells'. The game implies this ability is special only in that it's not something that would have normally happened; channellers children are also channellers and channellers can imbue others with power, diminishing their own power but allowing others to cast spells. Basically, it's special because prior to the end of the Cataclysm, only the titans and their vassals had any sort of ability to do stuff like that.

So it's both special and it's not. The setting (or at least my interpretation) doesn't emphasize lots of flashy magic. Channellers can do neat things but it's not like they're the X-Men and run around willy nilly.

Quote from: hgb on September 10, 2010, 01:54:29 AM
I would be interested in toying around with this setting. That game has so much potential... It really does need some more polish, and some improvements, but I like the developer, and that game has promise. Did you have anything more specific in mind than just that setting, or is that a surprise?

Mostly just an interest check at the moment; I liked the interesting premise and the somewhat low fantasy feel. I'd probably rummage through some Dark Sun stuff for ideas, use the game for some world building, etc. I didn't really want to focus too much on the channellers themselves and instead focus on telling a story that isn't already covered. At most, people would be imbued.

Laughing Man

Sounds cool. :) I'd be interested in a game like this.

PM me if this evolves past interest-check status. I'll whip something up. :D

-Adol