News:

Main Menu

No Joss, no Buffy

Started by Callie Del Noire, December 17, 2010, 12:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

The folks at Warner Brothers have decided the upcoming Buffy reboot should be done with no input/help from Joss Whedon or the rest of the folks that made the TV show so popular (despite execs efforts to the contrary) and there is an internet petition going around.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/no-whedon-no-buffy---boycotting-wbs-buffy-movie/

I'm not sure that it will have any effect, the Firefly petition didn't, but it should show that the 'nerd herds' (of which I am one) do represent a block of good movie goers.

That and, shudder, I don't want Buffy Vamps to go 'sparkly'.

Oniya

You mean, you don't want to see Buffy stake Edward Cullen?  I'd find that very therapeutic.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Salamander

I signed the petition. I used to love watching Buffy every week. Without Wheldon's input, it'll probably be a pile of pseudo-Twilight crap.

mystictiger

I used to like Wheedon. Then I saw ... he has a neckbeard. Urgh.
Want a system game? I got system games!

WyldRanger

I think I'll just remain content with my DVD's of Angel...  :-\
Quote from: Oniya on December 17, 2010, 01:48:31 PM
You mean, you don't want to see Buffy stake Edward Cullen?  I'd find that very therapeutic.

Though this would be nice.  :P

Inkidu

Would love nothing more than to see it never happen. On general anti-vampire sentiment.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Callie Del Noire

No..she'd be falling for 'sparkly, moody' vampires.. or worse.

Salamander

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 17, 2010, 04:39:35 PM

Please...please don't say it. Such a painful thought. I love Buffy and loathe Twilight in equal measure.

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 17, 2010, 04:39:35 PM

You think Angel and Spike would let that happen?  They'd stake 'em themselves.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

mystictiger

Angel is the prototypic emo waste-of-space vampire! Yuck!

On the bright side, he's not a loser-paedophile who hangs out in highschool.

Now, a Blade-Twilight crossover would be priceless!
Want a system game? I got system games!

Oniya

He got better when he started hanging out with Bones.

MasterMischief

Quote from: mystictiger on December 17, 2010, 06:53:50 PM

I always thought he was a Heathcliff wannabe without the cool.

Soran

*laughs*
The only twilight movie I would EVER watch!!

Callie Del Noire

On the bright side, he's not a loser-paedophile who hangs out in highschool.

You know.. the Ultimate Blade had a dream about that encounter. It ended BADLY for 'Shiny boy'.

rick957

Interesting, I didn't know there was a Buffy reboot in the works.

I know Whedon's a super-talented guy and gave birth to Buffy (eeeeuuw, mental image), but there were some god-awful episodes (and even awful seasons) of his shows, IMO, and the same people were responsible for the good and the bad stretches (or so I assumed).  So, I've always wondered which person or persons deserve credit for the good parts of those shows. 

What if Whedon's contributions were all crappy ones?  There's no way to tell who did what, right?

P.S.  What's a "neckbeard"?

Oniya

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3100606464/nm0923736

I think it's shown at that link.  Where you've shaved off most of the beard above the jawline, but leave the stuff underneath.

rick957

Ohhhh ... I thought that was just a "beard."

I have a neckbeard right now, it turns out ... but I'm callin' mine a beard, dammit.   :P

Oniya

I could be wrong, of course.  That was the only picture I could find of him with a beard, so I took a guess.

rick957

After four minutes of exhaustive research, I've concluded that neither I nor Joss Whedon have a true neckbeard, by any of the available definitions (most of which contradict each other, btw).

http://holidayneckbeard.com/
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/neckbeard-beginners-guide.php
http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Neckbeard
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=neckbeard
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=neckbeard&page=2

I might grow one, though, just for kicks.  :)

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Jag

Quote from: Oniya on December 17, 2010, 07:28:47 PM
He got better when he started hanging out with Bones.

Damn right. *nods*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: rick957 on December 18, 2010, 10:58:05 PM
Interesting, I didn't know there was a Buffy reboot in the works.

I know Whedon's a super-talented guy and gave birth to Buffy (eeeeuuw, mental image), but there were some god-awful episodes (and even awful seasons) of his shows, IMO, and the same people were responsible for the good and the bad stretches (or so I assumed).  So, I've always wondered which person or persons deserve credit for the good parts of those shows. 

What if Whedon's contributions were all crappy ones? 

Consider this.  They want to do like they did with the original movie and take the idea and do their take on it.  What I have read is the took his proposal, went 'mmmthanksbye.'. And made their own movie.

And they are doing it again, despite the fact it would make more money working off of Joss and company doing it.

Given the fact that he still owes then, what... Another show by contract, wouldn't it be good to work WITH him?

WyldRanger

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 19, 2010, 12:50:48 PM
Consider this.  They want to do like they did with the original movie and take the idea and do their take on it.  What I have read is the took his proposal, went 'mmmthanksbye.'. And made their own movie.

And they are doing it again, despite the fact it would make more money working off of Joss and company doing it.

Given the fact that he still owes then, what... Another show by contract, wouldn't it be good to work WITH him?

Yes, that would make sense...but we ARE talking about TV executives here after all.  :P

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Xana on December 19, 2010, 05:42:48 PM
Yes, that would make sense...but we ARE talking about TV executives here after all.  :P

Yeah they did all sorts of stupid things with Joss (and others). I mean look at what they did with Firefly and Futurama (Despite the creative talent behind both) when it first came out. (Juggled time slots, changed the pilot and other things.)

Execs surprise me. They are in control of creative talent and rely upon it, but then they play silly games with them.

WyldRanger

One of my favorite series of all time (on the promise of the pilot episode alone) was cut short after one three episodes, so yes TV executives are not my favorite people.

rick957

QuoteConsider this.  They want to do like they did with the original movie and take the idea and do their take on it.  What I have read is the took his proposal, went 'mmmthanksbye.'. And made their own movie.

This all makes sense, and I don't really disagree.  But I think it's worth mentioning that because of the way TV shows are put together, with many people sharing responsibility for basic decisions, it's impossible to say for certain how many of Whedon's successes were due to his own work, and how many resulted from other people's input, perhaps even input from the dreaded executives. 

You could say the same thing about George Lucas and the six Star Wars films.  Like Whedon's TV shows, those movies vary so widely in terms of overall quality that it makes it hard to believe the same person was responsible for all of them.  And if in fact there were many guiding hands behind those projects, who knows what Whedon or Lucas actually did?  For all we know, they might have been directly responsible for the worst stuff in both franchises, and in my opinion, there's so much bad material in both franchises that neither Lucas nor Whedon should be exempt from criticism. 

Their celebrity status puts them above reproach in the minds of many fans, and maybe those fans are right; I'd like to believe that too.  It's much easier to scapegoat the anonymous executives for all the mistakes, but the true picture is probably far more complicated.  I would not be surprised at all, for example, if one or two of Whedon's usual collaborators (co-producers, co-writers, etc.) are actually responsible for much of the best work that he's gotten credit for.

It isn't inconceivable that there could be a faceless collaborator or two -- perhaps even executives -- behind all of Whedon's best work, except maybe the stuff he has sole credit for ... but most of that stuff is writing, and Hollywood's union rules make writing credits completely untrustworthy.