[BUG REPORT] My username sorta, kinda, didn't exist

Started by Schrödinger, January 21, 2010, 09:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schrödinger

So the forums have logged me out. Alright, no biggy, that's quite alright, maybe ticking the 'keep me logged in' ought to work normally next time around. So I type in my username of Schrödinger.
Username does not exist.
Alright, odd, maybe it's a fetch-all error report, let's try it again with my myriad of other passwords.
Username does not exist.
Okay, now I'm worried. So I try again, this time with the originally wrong username of Shrödinger, without the letter C. Back when I signed up, you see, I made the unfortunate mistake of registering with that mistyped name. Silly a mistake, I'm sure, and thankfully very quickly fixed before I was approved by one of the helpful mods of this fine site.

Lo and behold, I could register and log in normally to Elliquiy with the username Shrödinger, but not my (altered, fixed at that!) username Schrödinger. The irony of the matter wasn't quite lost on me, but I'm curious, is this a limitation of the forum's coding, and is there any way to fix that at all?

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]
[li]Plot ideas![/li][/list]

Bliss

It's pretty simple, actually; your display name is now Schrödinger. But your username, as chosen upon signup, will always be Shrödinger. Until recently, members were able to change their own usernames; some did so frequently as pranks. Others tended to do so for holidays. The coding as such that while your display name can change, your base username will always be the same, and nobody else can use it.

So you'll always log in as Shrödinger, even though you're Schrödinger in all other respects.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Vekseid

Verify that your e-mail works and I can change it. It resets your password.

Schrödinger

Yeah, that makes sense, Bliss.

Quote from: Vekseid on January 21, 2010, 09:34:06 AMVerify that your e-mail works and I can change it. It resets your password.
Verified to be working!

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]

Schrödinger

Thanks again, Vekseid. But now I lost the umlaut  :-(

Ah well.

EDIT: Much better. Logging in without the umlaut may be easier, anyway, so that's enough of a hassle from one user. Thanks again  :-)

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]

Trieste

I fixed it so it has the umlaut again, although you'll have to log in with the un-umlauted name.

Now poke us no further with your petty name-woes, mortal. Should be fixski. >.>