R.I.P Twinkies

Started by Callie Del Noire, November 16, 2012, 09:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

Is it true the workers who were on strike killed the company?

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Stattick

Quote from: LunarSage on November 16, 2012, 02:13:04 PM

I dunno. I know that the rank and file employees have been having their salaries slashed over the last year or two, while the top execs got huge pay raises and bonuses. I wonder if the execs are just butthurt Republicans that are hairflipping over Obama being reelected, and declaring bankruptcy to "show them". I wonder and sorta hope that maybe the rank and file employees can buy out the company, turning it into a collectively owned operation. I think Home Depot is employee owned like that.
O/O   A/A

LunarSage

Someone told me that what happened was this:

The employees went on strike to try and get more money.

The company told them that they couldn't afford to pay them anymore money and that if they continued to strike, the company would have to go under and then none of them would have jobs.

The employees assumed it was a bluff and kept on striking.

The company did what they said they would have to do, filing bankruptcy and sacking every single Hostess employee.

The former employees are now complaining that they were wronged.

I'm not sure what to believe, but if the above is true... then I have little sympathy for the workers who were on strike.  If that's true, they kind of brought it on themselves.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

kckolbe

This may be insensitive to say, but I've always said Dolly Madison was better.  I really wish I had a strawberry creme roll to celebrate with.  You know their prices are going to go up, too.  They just lost their biggest competitor.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Avis habilis

Quote from: LunarSage on November 16, 2012, 02:13:04 PM

No. It's been dying for years. Management has been bleeding the workers to try to make up for their poor own decisions. Missing some delivery dates was just the coup de grace.

Quote from: LunarSage on November 16, 2012, 02:26:03 PM
The employees went on strike to try and get more money.

No. They struck against an 8% wage cut plus a 30% benefits cut.

The company told them that they couldn't afford to pay them anymore money and that if they continued to strike, the company would have to go under and then none of them would have jobs.

No. They said they weren't going to make a counter offer. Anyone who didn't like it was "free to quit".

The employees assumed it was a bluff and kept on striking.

No. They knew this was a possibility, but management had established a pattern of chipping away at wages & benefits "to save the company in this desperate situation" every couple of months. What the workers were getting was already barely survivable & there was no reason to believe that if they accepted this, there wouldn't be another desperate situation two months from now.

The former employees are now complaining that they were wronged.

No. They were prepared (at least mentally) for this eventuality.

Also, Little Debbie fruit pies are better anyway.

kckolbe

Little Debbie is also delicious.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: kckolbe on November 16, 2012, 02:34:50 PM
Little Debbie is also delicious.
Vore!

What are they going to use for all the Hostess Snowball wedding cakes now?

kckolbe

Intro Thread

Oniya

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on November 16, 2012, 02:59:03 PM
Vore!

Pfft.  Let me show you the power of the Internet:

Spoilered for length
Hostess Snowballs
Posted by Cookin'Mom at recipegoldmine.com 2/272001 2:45 pm

Cakes:
4 egg whites
1/2 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Rind of 1 lemon, finely grated
2 cups sifted cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2/3 cup milk
2 to 3 cups sweetened shredded coconut

Frosting:
1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar
1 (7 ounce) jar JET-PUFFED Marshmallow Creme
1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour muffin tins or dome shaped baking molds and set aside.

Whip the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff but not dry and place in the refrigerator while you make the rest of the batter. Cream the butter and add the sugar. Continue mixing to blend well. Add the vanilla extract, almond extract and lemon rind and mix well.

Sift the flour 3 times with the baking powder then add it to the butter mixture alternately with the milk in 3 additions. Fold in the whites and pour the batter into the molds, filling about 3/4 of the way up. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until batter is firm to the touch in the center. Let cool in the pans then turn out so the top becomes the bottom (you may need to trim them a bit so they sit flat).

Frosting: Beat sugar, Marshmallow Creme, margarine or butter and vanilla extract with electric mixer at medium speed, beating in milk as needed to desired frosting consistency.

Place the coconut in a bowl and add 1 drop of red or green food coloring for a pale color. Toss until food coloring is well mixed in and the coconut is the desired color. Frost the top and sides of the cakes and dip/roll in coconut to make them look like snowballs.

Servings: 4
Read more at http://www.recipegoldmine.com/namebrand/hostess-snowballs.html#hAu66KdRErutBble.99
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Valerian

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on November 16, 2012, 02:59:03 PM
*blinks*  There are Hostess Snowball wedding cakes?

Though in any case, it seems the problem is solved.  Heh.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Gadifriald

Forget about Twinkies! What about the Ho Hos and Ding Dongs and Fruit Pies!!!!!!! :'(

Of course I'm sure those famous brands will all be sold off to another company and the Twinkies and Ho Hos and Ding Dongs and Fruit Pies will continue being made.
I am a mighty ravisher of captive damsels and princesses!

Lux12

Quote from: Gadifriald on November 16, 2012, 04:29:52 PM
Forget about Twinkies! What about the Ho Hos and Ding Dongs and Fruit Pies!!!!!!! :'(

Of course I'm sure those famous brands will all be sold off to another company and the Twinkies and Ho Hos and Ding Dongs and Fruit Pies will continue being made.
Indeed.In a way I'm a little depressed even though those are not necessarily favorites of mine.

Mister Grimm

I think this is the only reason I feel bad about Hostess ending. Don't be sad Pusheen. There are better cakes out there.
I've got all the things I need. It's the nature of my breed.
I'm independent, s m o o t h and confident.
Always in command with a graceful element and a tasteful compliment.
Do you know who I am?
I'm a deadly handsome man.

Lux12

What about donettes?Is there not one among us who loves donettes?

Mister Grimm

Ugh, forgot about those. Those I will miss. Thought lately, when it comes to donuts, I usually stick to buying the ones made at the bakery in Piggly Wiggly or the ones around town.
I've got all the things I need. It's the nature of my breed.
I'm independent, s m o o t h and confident.
Always in command with a graceful element and a tasteful compliment.
Do you know who I am?
I'm a deadly handsome man.

Lux12

Some times, it's not about quality, it's the thought that one associates with it. What more can I say?

Beguile's Mistress

Donuts or doughnuts here in Pittsburgh are the staple of many bakeries and are better than any I've found anywhere.  We have such great bakeries here that Krispy Kream just couldn't establish a market.  There is no way for one of those chain type donut shops to become entrenched here.  Even DD (Dunkin' Donuts) isn't all that successful here.

Shjade

I do like the chocolate donettes, but I won't miss them being gone. For me, when it comes to doughnuts, there's nothing can match a good fresh-baked maple bar. Mmmmmmm.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Stattick

Eww.... I find Krispy Kreme "donuts" to be vile. I never understood why they caught on like they did.
O/O   A/A

Stattick

Quote from: Oniya on November 16, 2012, 01:21:57 PM
The little Oni likes the Tastykake fruit pies.  Drop them in the microwave for a few seconds - Nummy.

At least satiation can be had with mere fruit pies. Yeah... you probably want to keep the Oni happy.
O/O   A/A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Stattick on November 17, 2012, 01:46:50 AM
Eww.... I find Krispy Kreme "donuts" to be vile. I never understood why they caught on like they did.

I like you Stattick.. so I'll let you live after that.. but you're on the LIST!

Steve Buscemi

NotoriusBEN

Quote from: Stattick on November 17, 2012, 01:46:50 AM

Heresy!

There is nothing before or after the Krispy Kreme. Especially 5minutes out of the oven. ./drool

Except maybe a bacon maple bar from Voodoo Donuts in Portland, OR.

Kazyth

Bah!  It's all about Dunkin'!  I love me come cake doughnuts.  It's the yeast kind that I can't stand, like Krispy.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Mithlomwen

*is going to miss the Twinkie*   :'(

Best use of a Twinkie evar! 

Ghostbusters - Big Twinkie
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Mobius

Read somewhere recently that Twinkies are made from some of the same chemicals used in embalming.

There is some food for thought for everyone!

“In your life, you meet people. Some you never think about again. Some, you wonder what happened to them. There are some that you wonder if they ever think about you. And then there are some you wish you never had to think about again. But you do.” - Unknown

On's and Off's!

Currently NOT taking on new roleplays!