WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLaughingOne

hah... haha... hahaha... Hahaha... HAHAHA! HAHAHA!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://warhammeradventures.com/

Response to questions on WTF...

My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

HairyHeretic

Yeah, as much as I love my 40k fiction, I'm not really sure it's suitable for 8 year olds. Twelve, maybe. I think I was around that age when I first started playing 40k
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

TheGlyphstone

This is someone's idea of an April Fool's joke delayed by two months, right?

wander

I was 11 when I discovered Geedubs myself. Though my best mate knew about it a bit before me as his dad owned Space Crusade.

I was too young to really have the patience to do the modelling though, I think outside of reading White Dwarf I needed to be the age I am now to really keep my patience with plastic-cementing fiddly bits... xD

Idej

I'm confuzzled myself on this too.

I have not a clue why they are going PG unless they were pressured by outside influences to do this.  Regardless, this makes me terribly confused.

Great to allow parents the ability to get their kids kind of knowing what their hobby is about without damaging a developing brain.  But, is also a way to cause way too many issues due to so many variables.  One comes to mind parents who aren't fully aware of what 40k exactly is and buys a book that scars little Timmy for life.  Then parent causes lawsuit and so forth.

However, as long as this is its separate reality or separate outlook from main 40k, I can digest it.  I won't hold my breath for no bleedover.

But I hope for the best and continue my hobby.

MiaKage

I find it a cute way to get kids into the hobby. I'm pretty sure they will keep this separate from warhammer proper, otherwise one of those kids would be tried and executed for cowardice and possibly heresy.
On/Off
A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back because the scorpion cannot swim. The frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion says, "Because if I do, I will die too."
The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown, but has just enough time to gasp "Why?"
The scorpion replies: "But, little frog, I can swim."

TheLaughingOne

Fair enough...

But to make it "fit" they are going to have to cut so much that its not really warhammer at all, what happens when the kids get old enough to move to the older books? Thats going from My Little Pony to MD Geist!
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

wander

Eh, to me these books seem harmless enough, not even taking it seriously really. It's obviously outside my target audience and more people into the hobby is always good.

TheGlyphstone

That's the baffling bit. GW takes itself way too seriously, that's part of the problem these days.

wander

I get like the opposite, as their Warhammer Community page is pretty self-referential to memes fairly often. In the 90s and 00s though they were full grimdark.

Idej

I do wanna say that it is nice to see us all having a nice polite chat here about this topic.  Makes me hopeful for good people in this world. :)

wander

Any Harlequin peoples about? :)

I've been busy on Age of Sigmar stuff (I'm very likely going Daughters of Khaine now, though yet to decide what units to snap up going in... Check out muh thread if you wanna discuss more  ;D ), though I'm slowly expanding back to 40k news again.

However, outside the Harlequins coming and the very soon arrival of Codex: Imperial Knights, the big stories today are the continued memeing of the Warhammer Adventures books (some pretty funny ones too! ^^), though on the more serious side, of course people are posting about Totalbiscuit passing on, being a big advocate for 40k and it's videogames.

HairyHeretic

I think when I got into GW stuff I would have been somewhere around 12, but I'm not sure you can really do kid friendly 40k. I'm puzzled, but I'm not going to rant and rave and declare 'my game' is being ruined. :) I think 12 is probably fine for getting exposure to the 40k universe, 8 ... 8 is maybe a bit young. I can't really say too much, as I was a rather precocious reader myself and had probably moved into the adult section of the library by the time I was 10 or 11 :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Chanticleer

I was going to make a joke about the 'nightlighting' of 40k and how in five years we'd see space marines deploying with walkie-talkies in their hands, but it occurred to me that this has already pretty much happened to some of the Slaanesh Noise Marines. ;)

Assault boomboxes for everyone!
My current O/os (need work)

TheGlyphstone

Idej

Someone say Killer Clowns?

Hehehehehehe

They will compliment my Drukhari just nicely.  :)

Then with all three Eldar Codices I can plan for making a Detachment for each force for my army.

Webway Gate model looks sexy too btw

MiaKage

I watched a battle report featuring the harlequins, they look super fun and really strong.
On/Off
A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back because the scorpion cannot swim. The frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion says, "Because if I do, I will die too."
The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown, but has just enough time to gasp "Why?"
The scorpion replies: "But, little frog, I can swim."

wander

Currently sad in AoS that the Blood Cauldron kit is sold out again. I need me a Slaughter Queen to lead muh Witch Aelfs and Khinerai, though impossible to get one through official channels atm...  :-(

Idej

I was lucky enough to get a Cauldron

Me and my neighbor split the cost 70/30 because he wanted the Avatar of Khaine for his 40k Craftworlds Army because he liked the look and I wanted the bits.  Let me see if I want any of the Slaughter Queen bits and if I don't want it and the Cauldron ain't available, I'll gladly make you a deal.

I have been wanting to kit bash my Succubus for my Witch Cult to look really cool.  It is taking time, but slowly getting something worked together in my head.

CopperLily

As much as I find myself surprised to say "Go read the BoLS article"...http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/05/warhammer-marketing-to-kids-for-30-years.html

Warhammer has always been marketed to that age group.

As for appropriateness...

"A small band of war orphans takes shelter in a faceless, uncaring schola. During their explorations, they find an abandoned webway portal, and pass through it. There, they must content savage residents of this strange and unreal land, content with betrayal from within their ranks brought on by a being of otherworldly beauty promising them their heart's desire, and battle beside a manifestation of the Emperor's Will before he sacrifices himself to ensure their escape."

You could make that 40K as hell. And it's me riffing off The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.

CopperLily

Quote from: wander on May 25, 2018, 02:08:49 PM
Currently sad in AoS that the Blood Cauldron kit is sold out again. I need me a Slaughter Queen to lead muh Witch Aelfs and Khinerai, though impossible to get one through official channels atm...  :-(

I lucked out. I had one that I was going to use as part of a terrain project for a pre-Fall Eldar world board, and when the Murder Aelves came out, I just went "Ah...nope, using it for this instead."

Same with the like, 40 boxes of Witch Elves I was going to use as Wyches.

Cold Heritage

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 25, 2018, 11:59:41 AM
https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2018/05/25

Because friendship is magic. And magic is heresy.

Honestly "a theocratic cult that has been engaged in a millenia-long quest for galactic genocide" sounds a lot like the Jedi from Star Wars.

Also, magic is only heresy when it's anyone who isn't a Space Wolf Rune Priest doing it because it's totes different when you like, use the power of the Spirit of Planet Fenris. That's totes not psyker warp-witchery at all, bro.

And if you don't agree with that bro then you're totes a low down dirty double heretic because Malcador the Sigilite says the Space Wolfs get double-special exemption permission for their Rune Priests to play their little wolf rune games.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

wander

On the Witch Aelfs, I may throw my hands up and go Clan Pestilens instead for my hordy glass-cannon force. If Geedubs don't want to support the second newest AoS force after their Deepkin then I'm gonna look elsewhere and Nurgle + Skaven is literally more 'me'.  ::)

Idej

I plan on kit bashing Witch Aelves and Drukhari Wyches for my Wych Cult

But yeah thinking on using the Blood Cauldron be part of an Incubi Shrine terrain map.

CopperLily

Quote from: Idej on May 25, 2018, 10:04:04 PM
I plan on kit bashing Witch Aelves and Drukhari Wyches for my Wych Cult

But yeah thinking on using the Blood Cauldron be part of an Incubi Shrine terrain map.

Tip from me: Do hand swaps for weapons, not arm swaps. Wyches are *notably* more buff.