Mercenaries 2: World In Flames

Started by magnamos, October 06, 2008, 04:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnamos

Due to some recommendations I got in #Elliquiy, I bought Mercenaries 2 on Saturday. I'm totally addicted to the game. It's so freaking awesome!

Did anyone of you got that game too? What do you think about it? Are you willing to share some nifty tricks or secrets you found? Discuss!

I will like to share how I beat the unbeatable Mission to get Eva, the Mechanic. This solution provides that you're willing to loose at least once. You also need a good Helicopter. Something among the lines of P.A.L.V. Gunship. It has some decent load of Missiles and two Miniguns. Now for the tricky part:
You beat the first part of the Mission which is quiet easy. You just go around in Town a few times, drive up the road to the mine, avoiding the fighting VZs and P.A.L.V.s by using the Jumpfunction. Now you're ordered to go down into the mine to meet the unavoidable death by an Anti-Tank-Missile, Tankcannon or landing on your Roof. You don't. You just step out of the car. The timer won't start to run before you've passed the first gate.
Now call in the Helicopter. You fly down the way you would usually drive with the Helicopter. Avoid getting to close to the jungle because they're hiding VZ forces which ocassionaly are armed with Stingermissiles (unhealty for your copter). Once you meet the first VZ base you're free to unleash hellfire on every little jerk who's planing on blowing up your car later on. Once you got the Tank out of the way and the two-three Missiledudes turn to shreds with the Minigun, you're safe to fly down and get rid of the rest. You're also free to take the money and the fuel Tanks. The dead VZ Forces won't need it anymore. You fly back now cause the rest of the cannyon is more or less safe. Once you reached the Car again you fly through the cannyon on your left. Keep it low, they got a SAM waiting for you at the end along with a busy VZ Base.
THIS IS NOT GUARANTEED TO WORK but I managed to hid with my copter behind a building and the SAM wasn't able to fire at me. They shot me down though since I couldn't dodge very well. If you move around too much you're picked off by the SAM. If you stay in the same place too long you're shot by the tank or the Missiledudes. The best thing is to just fire away with everything that's left in the ammopacks. Turn the whole base into ashes. It's very important to get this thing cleared out. You have to make a tight turn in that base and therefore make an easy target. If you're still in the copter you can fly back to the car, else just pick up an unmaned jeep from the VZ to go back. The task to drive through the cannyon is now MUCH easier. Just watch out for stones and Carwracks along the way. These are probably the only things that can still lead to a failure.
Please note: I experienced one base respawned while I finished the other one. I don't know if that's due to some invisible border I crossed or time. I think it's the second one since I took my time to play around with the winch and Fuel Tanks :P

King_Furby

I thought the game was gross. It didn't seem very refined to me, i thought the controls were sloppy. the aiming was really porely done. nice to see you like it though.

magnamos

I agree with you in all points.

The vehicle physics are also very weired sometimes. Though I think that it's a small price to pay for all the freedom you get. You can virtually spawn and use every vehicle. You can destroy everything you see. Everyone you see belongs to some faction and everything you do shows results in the world.

The only drawbacks there are include the range of the Smoke Markers. I think it's a little too short to be really effective. I think the meaning of an Airstrike is to take you enemys from safe distance. With the current range you have to get yourself shot before you can effectively use the Airstrike. It also depends on the Airstrike and angle of approach. If you throw a Clusterbomb and the Airplane approaches from your back it throws it shards in the right direction and gains additional range, creating a nice cone of destruction in front of you. The average bomb just drops down in a straight line from the sky. It's good to wreck buildings when you cleared most enemys but if everyone is dead already you can also use the less expensive satchel charges.
Bombs like the Daisy Cutter really need more range. I almost burned my ass when I used it the first time since the blastwave is much bigger than I expected. There should also be an explosion timer on the Airstrikes. I saw in a video that they used a vehicle as Artillerie Marker but when I tried it the Artillerie didn't even fire.

I think it needs many bugfixes and the controll are glitchy. Though I've seen much worse in console to pc portations.

Is there anyone who knows what toys Eva, the mechanic constructs when you found more Spareparts? I got the full-tracks-bike now but I wonder what else there is.

Revolverman

I think anyone who like Mercs 2 should try the ordinal, is FAR more refined.

magnamos

I would totally love too but it's only available for Playstation and XBox. I can't play it on PC. I first learned about Mercenaries in a creator Movie of Mercenaries. When I found the Demon for Mercenaries 2 on Fileplanet and I was told that it's badly bugged but I should give it a try I was hooked. I gave it a try and I happen to like it inspite of all the bugs. The last flar of hope is that hopefully bugs won't stay forever. They are squished one by one. Though it's an EA Game so you can't be very sure if they really enforce the bug hunt. They prefer to take all the money and pump it into there next project.... or in another Developer Studio to take even more high quality games from the market :P

magnamos

I bought an XBox 360 on Saturday along with Mercs 2 for the console. It's totally different on the XBox. I love it on the XBox. It has less bugs, runs more stabile and faster than it could on PC. It makes me wonder why I haven't got myself an XBox a year ago :D

magnamos

Please kill this threat, I just noticed (way too late) that there is already one Mercenaries 2 Thread >_>