Wrath of the Dragonkin

Started by Lady Jenn, January 30, 2018, 06:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orenji

Okay, so I have to say, I'm really not happy with how this is all playing out.

First of all, I already said that Cefrey made "another extradimensional space to hold the Dawnhammer Blade, hoping to stay a bit more inconspicuous." The blade is hidden away in this space precisely because Cefrey doesn't want to get caught up in other people's whims like this. Her preferred method is to pull it out when she herself feels the need to use it, whether in battle or when presenting it to someone to try to make them her ally. I'm not going to stop other characters from talking about it when they know about it, but please don't have them pointing at it like it's just sitting there out in the open for the whole world to see because it's not.

Secondly, I'm with Pdriggy on this, at this point, Cefrey doesn't want to stay with Ariadne at all, hell, I wouldn't want to stay with her. Not only does she act emotionally unstable, she talks down to us like we owe her something. Not only that, but any time we try to call her out on it, someone else steps in and says something along the lines of "you have no idea what she's been through, give her a chance," or "you don't have time to be arguing," or she just cries or gets angry and says we're wrong, and then they expect us to move on, but I don't think Cefrey or Barty are the type to accept that answer.

Thirdly, I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't have characters constantly tell us "you have no idea." At least in Cefrey's case, she isn't the type of person to miss out on any piece of information she can get her hands on, even if it means going to an underground information network and paying for it. Unless something is a personal secret, like what happened in Ariadne's past, there's going to be some information out there. For example, Teral just said, "I am a member of a race you would not know," but there's no way that the existence of an entire race is so well hidden that no one can get their hands on any information about it. Plus, it just sounds condescending to tell someone you just met that they don't know something.

Lastly, I get that you have a story all planned out, but it honestly just feels like we're on rails. I mean, there hasn't been a single major plot point decided by us players. First Cefrey was smuggled out of the city, blindly and to a location she didn't decide for herself, something she'd never agree to but I had to go along with it to get the story started. Then Ariadne shows up and, after seeing the blade, forcefully drags her off because it's dangerous. Then after camping out and rejecting Ariadne's advances and then getting yelled at for it, Ariadne leads her to get horses, where we met Barty. Then Ariadne leads them to the next town. And now, Ariadne, Paeter, and Teral are telling us the plan. We've had no chances to make plans of our own, and I know that Cefrey would never take that lying down. Making her own plans and then making back up plans for the worst possible scenario is kind of her MO.

Sorry for ranting like this, but I honestly don't feel like keeping this going if these issues aren't addressed. I'm going to respond to the main thread with Cefrey's response to the argument they're all having now, so please, give her a chance to respond to everyone because it's foot down time.

Lady Jenn

Pdriggy

Just my suggestion and I've been GMing for years. :-)
We need to turn the plot around and have the characters discuss ways forwards with the immediate challenge. Next place to go, who we may meet, etc.

Get some info to us about what we face and we can discuss in character the approach we want to take. Maybe do a scene where we assess what each member can bring to the situation to help get past it as a challenge.

Happy to discuss.

Orenji

Yeah, that's exactly what I intend to do here. I think Cefrey sees this group as a chaotic mess and has decided to take charge. Once all of their issues with each other are resolved or at least put aside well enough that they won't cause further interruption, she'll start delegating and coming up with a concrete plan based on the information they all share, including any information she could have picked up from the underground, which I will refer to you for, Lord Bane, when she does so you can decide how much she managed to learn as the GM.

Lady Jenn

Lady Jenn

Orenji

Well, I guess it would be Pdriggy. Since Cefrey's addressing both Barty and Toral, I need to hear a response from both of you before we move on tho so it doesn't really matter here.

Lady Jenn

I'm happy to post next if Pdriggy wants me to, I just didn't want to pre-empt his post

Orenji

Yeah, sure, I don't mind waiting.

Pdriggy

Go ahead LB, Rick the next post!

Lady Jenn

I'll let Pdriggy go next, think he deserves some input lol

Pdriggy

Hi team,
I left a short update, not feeling well tonight so gonna turn in early. Feel free to post away for a while and know that Barty is keenly listening to all and will respond a bit later :-)

Lady Jenn

I'm going to write Ari out of this, at this point I don't really see how she can rejoin the group or even that she'd want to

Pdriggy

It is possible to add her in after a while, she just needs to come in more humble as a character building arch with the whole debacle, maybe keep her as a supporting character until it works. As she is unstable to the other characters and too high and mighty, she needs to apologize and be more humble, this would show character progression and an evolution for the character. Is being in charge (and right in her own mind about how to do things) more important than being involved with the mission?

Have a think on it and we can bring her in if you think it will work.

Lady Jenn

I guess so,  I'll try and think of something

Orenji

Lord Bane, I'm going to make an exposition dump in the next post, so there's some things I'd like you to establish for me.

First off, I'd like you to tell me everything Cefrey knows about King Myraz and the dragonkin artifact. It doesn't have to be the full explanation or even be accurate, but I'd at least like an explanation of how he's a tyrant to his people, what makes the artifact so dangerous, and if he has any plans in place that we're trying to stop, what kind of time frame do we have.

For example, King Myraz is keeping the people under strict military rule, allowing the soldiers and guards to run rampant, beating, raping, and executing anyone they please. He does so because it's too much trouble to take care of his citizens or sort through new recruits as he builds up his army to start conquering the world. The artifact comes into all this as a tactical weapon capable of devastating an area of at least a couple hundred acres with an effect similar to a dragon's breath when fully charged that he plans to use on every kingdom before he sends in his army to take care of the rest. The artifact takes a year to fully charge, and we estimate that we have about 6 months before it is ready to be used against the neighboring human kingdom of Meltor.

Secondly, I'd like to know exactly what Cefrey's relationship is with Vennar. I assume they're just friends and comrades fighting together against Myraz, but if there's anything else you'd like to add onto it, now's the time.

Thirdly, I'd like to know everything that Cefrey could learn last night by investigating the town, buying maps, and paying the underground information network.

Additionally, I'm going to have Cefrey introduce herself, and she's going to ask Barty and Teral to introduce themselves as well. If you guys would like to get started on that now, just be sure to include your characters' major skill sets and preferred fighting style, since it's mostly to figure out how to delegate tasks and roles in a fight before they get into a pinch and it becomes a matter of life and death. Feel free to keep a few cards hidden though, I know my character will.

Lady Jenn

• As far as most people are aware Myraz is just exceptionally long-lived (bear in mind Myraz has had it since the last time the dragons came south...which was 150 years ago), he mostly keeps it under wraps for fear someone will murder him and take control of it. He's cut all contact with...well, the world beyond the forest at least because he fears Stormrider bringing an army south and simply burning him off the map, what the artefact does is essentially make the one who controls it...well, not immortal but as long as they're within it's vicinity essentially mortal weapons are useless against him. As for what he's got planned...no-one knows, beyond the fact Myraz is getting paranoid. SERIOUSLY paranoid. Like rounding up anyone he thinks is plotting against him. If you can think of a plan Cefrey either knows (or suspects) he has you're welcome to come up with one. Also, time frame is at least for now unclear, as pointed out by Paeter if Stormrider was about to march south you would know about it. But...let's just say consider the old saying "There's no smoke without fire".
  • Other than being friends? Vennar is essentially the head of the resistance (or what resistance there is) in the city, but as was probably not very well hinted at the beginning Vennar fears Myraz is coming for him and so in all likelihood by the time Cefrey comes back he'll be imprisoned or worse (not that he'd tell her because he feared she would try and protect him or force him to come with her).
  • There are likely to only be whispers, at least in part because scouting beyond the Badlands is...not impossible, but takes someone either incredibly brave (or supremely stupid). There are two things that would likely be discussed though: Rumours that there are elements of the Orcs who have turned against the ruler of the Badlands, which may or may not be because the warlord has formed an agreement of some description with Myraz. The other is that there are whispers that something is stirring in the north, but no-one is sure what. Most people wouldn't know what a Trollstorm was (it'd be kind of like someone discussing something with you in a foreign language and just assuming you'd know immediately) but even the hint the dragons might be up to something would get a lot of people talking about what they "know" is happening. Bear in mind most people's knowledge of anything north of the Orcs is either guesswork, conjecture or something their "friend" told them, but I'm sure Cefrey could separate the truth from the people who wouldn't know the truth if it slapped them round the face. As I said with point 1 if you want to come up with something I've not mentioned you're welcome.

Lady Jenn

Also, I feel like clarifying, it's not so much the guy wasn't offended, he's caught between feeling honour-bound to help them since he comes from close to where they want to go and the feeling that simply letting Ariadne walk away is a mistake (but he doesn't want to risk Cefrey or Barty's wrath by pointing this out, or risk the Elf's wrath by trying to speak to her)

Lady Jenn

Are we waiting for Pdriggy to post? I was looking forward to the exposition dump (yes, I'm a very weird person in that situation lol)

Pdriggy

Lady Jenn

Pdriggy

Bit better thanks, I had a really nasty head cold and was sleeping loads, sore throat, head ache, fairly miserable. Your guys' posts were a welcome distraction :-)

Lady Jenn

Ugh, I spent about a month with some variation of that, you have my sympathy

Pdriggy

Thanks, I have heard other with the same cold as I have lasting weeks. Hoping I get over it soon!

Lady Jenn

where's healing magic when you need it? XD