Heros, Villains, or Treasure Hunters? (D&D 3.5)

Started by ulthakptah, November 12, 2012, 06:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulthakptah

Okay so players are random and hard to control. That's why when I run a game I don't think too far ahead. Why plan out what's going to happen if the players aren't going to do it anyway. I could grab them by the nose and force them to do what I want to but that's no fun for me and no fun for them. So the plan for this game is to be mostly made up on the fly.

The goal is to have like minded characters work together towards a common interest. That being said I would love to have the characters going in to actually stick around. Too often people make a character then before anything actually happens they get bored with it and want to make something new. Personally I don't get this when I take the time to make a character I actually like to play as them. Up front I am going to say no to this. No, you can not make a new character because you are bored with the first. No, you can not kill off your current character to get a new one. And know that if I think you purposely tried to kill off your character you will not be coming back.

Right now the game doesn't have much form. That is because I have no idea what people want to do. Seems every game I've tried to run in the past just loses interest and dies. So not knowing what sort of game people want I'm going to ask.

What sort of game would you like to play?

Marie Reynolds

Hmm I'll bite, I would like to see a group of childhood friends of differing alignments come together to form a treasure hunter/problem solving group

Kdyami

Treasure Hunters/Problem Solvers for hire?  that could be a lot of fun.  I'm interested.
Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

LuciusLeche

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on November 12, 2012, 07:15:47 PM
Hmm I'll bite, I would like to see a group of childhood friends of differing alignments come together to form a treasure hunter/problem solving group
Quote from: Kdyami on November 13, 2012, 02:59:35 AM
Treasure Hunters/Problem Solvers for hire?  that could be a lot of fun.  I'm interested.

with sexy results?
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -Oscar Wilde

On's and Off's

More On's and Off's

Snake

Videospirit

You really have a problem with people wanting new characters? I try and keep the dying games going after some people have started losing interest just because I like my characters.

Since great big huge plotlines are out, Professional thieves *Ahem* Treasure hunters might be fun.

ulthakptah

Okay then five is a good enough amount if you are all still interested. Were you hoping to be seasoned adventurers or perhaps a bit more green? I only ask because I will need to pick the starting level soon.

Videospirit

Snake

5 sounds good to me. the game mechanics seem to work best around that level

TheHangedOne

I'd be interested as well.  I assume we'll be rolling for everything?
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Frank Reshman

There still room for one more in this game? I wouldn't mind getting in on this.

ulthakptah

Yeah sure everyone who wants to make a sheet there should be plenty of room. Starting level 3 hopefully it goes well and you can level fast. Standard gold, for stats grab a hand full of d10 and throw them at the wall, add 8 to each result. Example if you rolled a 10, 5, 2, 7, 9, and 4 your starting stats would be 18, 13, 10, 15, 17, and 12.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

TheHangedOne

And in the same vein as Andy's question, how about a Warlock?
Check out my poet tree!

Videospirit

ulthakptah

I allow all wizard of the coast 3.5 edition books. Paladins are people too and they love to solve problems of the those who can not help themselves, not to mention that traditionally evil creatures are the one that are used to guard treasure, so I can see how a paladin could fit into the setting.

Kdyami

Coolio. Ill try and have a character up tomorrow sometime :)
Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

ulthakptah

Just to be clear warlocks and druids are allowed too. I know I didn't address that, but I felt I didn't need to as paladins are the class with the silly code of conduct they always have to follow. I guess druids have rules they have to follow too, but they have little to do with the setting.

Videospirit

*Glances at the interested people, roll of Lords, guess I'll play a woman*

No harm in having two druids I suspect.

Snake

Videospirit

Just about had the sheet finished when my laptop crashed. It's a shifter VoP Druid, if that matters.

I don't know when I'll have computer access long enough to do more than post, but I'll get it done if you start.

ulthakptah

Well I only see one sheet so far, and I'm not going to start the game with only one player, so you probably have some time before the game starts.

AndyZ

How many people you have?  I was going to just sit back because it seemed like there was plenty...
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

ulthakptah

It's hard to say, sometimes people express interest in a game but end up not following through.

NicciKotor

I'm not going into this, with it being close to the end of the semester and how shit goes downhill fast.

Also you need to post in two of my games.
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

Meliai

Oh, I like the idea of a group of adventurers who all grew up as friends! You can put me down as an alternate in case a couple people drop :-)
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Kdyami

Sorry totally posted that in the wrong group :(   Character is done but at work now, will upload tonight late.  I went with a swashbuckler.   How are we doing on Genders so far? I can make mine male or female to help balance us out just let me know.

Snake

I'm fully prepared and ready to go with this. just wiating on others :3

Videospirit

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=11635

No background yet as we still need to work out the fine details of how we all know each other/where we live and whatnot. Managed to get a computer for a few hours today.

Snake

well mine's a barbarian so I can put him to fit anywhere. preferably a warm location

Videospirit

Quote from: Meliai on December 04, 2012, 03:06:14 AM
Oh, I like the idea of a group of adventurers who all grew up as friends! You can put me down as an alternate in case a couple people drop :-)

we have plenty of room

ulthakptah

Indeed, plenty of room. As far as I can tell only two are still interested.

Videospirit

Kdyami said something about a swashbuckler character? Wonder if it's a daring outlaw.

Marie Reynolds

Hey sorry i dropped off the face of the earth had to handle processing out of the navy. So i am still interested and would like to know if the mixed alignments would be apart of this?

ulthakptah

People can be any alignment makes no difference to me.

Videospirit

I think that'll depend on the players? I know my druid is NG, and the barb is CN. There's no enforced alignments as far as I know.

Marie Reynolds

Alright cool, well if anyone would like to create ties for my character to have childhood friends in the party feel free to pm me.

Videospirit

If you just want to talk about characters my nick on the IRC is Videospirit too, and discussion goes much faster in real time.

Edit: Any news on the setting ult, or do you want suggestions for that?

Edit2: IF we all want to be childhood friends, perhaps we could be really really close, by all being orphans who grew up togethor in the same orphanage?

ulthakptah

The plan is to make up my own world. It will be pretty standard fantasy medieval world and such. The planes are still organized in the Great Wheel cosmology, and the pantheon is the same as in the handbook.

Niki315

If there's still room I'd like to jump in on this too.  D&D 3.5 is one of my favorite systems, and though my posting has been rather erratic lately, it's due to moving and needing to replace my power cord.  I'm planning on sticking it out for the long run now.  Let me know if there's an opening, and if there is, what slots have already been filled.  I love to round out the group when I can ^_^

Idej

If there is room and if you accept some material from Dragon Material (which I will gladly post the material I'm using to you for approval) I have ideas for a Ninja.

Kdyami

Videospirit

So Right now we're looking at... Druid Barbarian and Swashbuckler for our party? Marie mentioned possibly being a Rogue? Some sort of Arcanist could easily slip in from AndyZ or Niki315.

Still need to make official our backstory as to how we know each other.

Muse

*Smiles*  This game has been staring at me for a while.  Do you have room for another? 

Maybe a divine or arcane caster? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Anya Stargazer: (Level 3 Sorceress, Fey Bloodline, Spell Thematic: Stellar Phenomena, Inattentive and Unreactive.) 

Left at the orphanage in a basket, the name Anya embroidered into her blanket, Anya was a quite dreamer growing up, kind hearted and friendly, but a littel shy.  She is often so caught up in her own fancies as to miss what's right under her nose, or glance up in confusion at things that have others jumping and lifting their guard. 

She found magic laying on the roof one night, dreaming in the moonlight.  She helped drive away the orcs in their winter raids by throwing small silver shooting stars at them instead of firing her crossbow. 

When she was fourteen, she left her childhood friends to study magic formally with a wizard in the next town.  She came back three years later, a beautiful and powerful young woman, intelligent and dynamic with more than a few useful trinkets.
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Videospirit

Well I guess enough people are okay with the orphanage idea so I'll officially use that for my backstory, here we go...

Chi: (Level 3 Druid, Shifter Druid, Illiterate, Passionate, Shaky, and Weak Will) 

Chi was found one day streaking through the streets of the city naked. She spoke no language, even though she was 3 years old, old enough to have learned if she'd been raised properly, and no one came forward to claim her as their own. This "Wild Child" was placed into the orphanage. Try as they might, they could not get the wilderness out of the child, although there was no proof, it was assumed she'd been abandoned in the wilds and left to fend for herself until she stumbled upon the city and was discovered. If she'd been left like that much longer, they probably would not have been able to civilize her at all. As it was, she threw off her clothing every chance she got, complaining of how it rubbed against her fur, walked like a cat whenever she was upset, and ran off into the woods to play with her "Friends" every chance she got.

The other orphans probably contributed more to her education than the caretakers efforts, for she was fiercely competitive with the other orphans. She was also well aware of how she seemed... different from everyone else, and how other townsfolk often looked at her like she was no better than an animal(Which also annoyed her, as she thought a lot of them were WORSE than animals, having quite a high opinion of her friends in the wild). Still, she did not react well to bullying, growing timid when confronted and not resisting the insults, truly feeling there was something strange about her, despite anyone's efforts to console her.

As she grew even older and her body started to mature, she spent more and more time away from the city, learning the ways of the druid from nymphs she'd befriended. She loved being out in the wilds, because nobody forced her to wear clothes there, and the nymphs didn't bother with them either so she never felt out of place. Unfortunately, she was really starting to blossom into a woman, and she still had no fondness for garments. One day she'd decided to go without clothing and was spotted by the stablemaster, drunk, who flew into a lusty rage at the sight of her and began yelling at her. Reacting timidly as always, none of the other orphans were around to bail her out, and he dragged her into the stables, saying that's where an animal like her belonged, and had his way with her. Chi was not sure what was going on at first, but the pain was intense and she finally found the will to put up some resistance, using her claws on another person for the first time and escaping in the confusion caused by the Stablemasters shock.

She fled to join the Nymphs, terrified of returning home, not even sure how badly she'd hurt the man. She didn't return to the orphanage on her own. Luckily she'd told some of the other orphans, her closest friends, about her other friends in the wild, and they'd gathered togethor to go find her. She told them of what had happened with the Stablemaster, and they'd noted he'd seemed nervous lately, and now they knew why.

Relieved to know she hadn't killed him, she allowed them to talk her into returning, at least to get what few possessions she had. She no longer quite felt safe in the city, and the Stablemaster was murdered in his sleep shortly after she returned, causing her to worry even more. She moved out of the orphanage(She was almost too old to remain anyway) to live out in the wilds, gathering what food and shelter she needed off the land, and forsaking the ways of wealth and the city entirely. The only reason she visited it at all anymore was to see the other orphans, and donate any wealth she did come across to the orphanage.

Muse

*Waves* 

Anya's ready.  I think I'll put her having more contact with her friends during the three years she studdied under a wizard.  Maybe she was in town instead of out? 

Marie Reynolds

I am still working with the character Just trying to select a race and see if i still want to proceed wtih the Half Dalkyr thing or not.

Videospirit

Are we ready to go as soon as Marie finishes up her character? 5 people seems like a nice enough sized group.

Do you need any more details from us on what kind of group we're going to be forming ult?

Snake

Hey guys sorry for my lack of responses I'm cool with whatever is decided upon. I've been having my sleep schedule reamed by too much Skyrim lately.

Videospirit

Quote from: Snake on December 15, 2012, 11:38:25 AM
Hey guys sorry for my lack of responses I'm cool with whatever is decided upon. I've been having my sleep schedule reamed by too much Skyrim lately.

Better you get the skyrim out of your system now than after the game starts ;p.

Snake

Marie Reynolds

So while i am finalizing my background would anyone else like to detail out a background tie.

Marie Reynolds

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=482833
Here is my sheet its the nuetral evil rogue one.
Alright that should be the right link.

Videospirit

That's all of us with sheets now, we're good to go! How are things are you end ult?

ulthakptah

Sadly very busy, hopefully things will clam down for me in a few days

Videospirit

Can you send me a private message with the thread when you get this started, just so I'm sure not to miss it?

Snake

Same here. I'd like to drop the same request at Vidyahere

ulthakptah

Looking that way. Some things have come up in my life making it hard to find time to run a game.