News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup

Started by MagicalPen, June 15, 2006, 10:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellyssa

Hrms. I watch it when I can to pass the time, though I hate it that one little kick (or not even then) and down go the players like they've broken a leg or three. Geez, the little bunch of sissies, nothing like hockey players where you get hit by a puck in the mouth, go off to get stitched, and are back on the field within five minutes! Freaking (and mainly South American) actors.

Been a soccer fan for years though, despite that. That being said though, interest has waned a lot since we moved over here and discovered the joys of ice hockey (but we lost yesterday :( ). Hm. I just watch to support the underdogs (I was very happy Zeus helped Greece win the Euro '04!), and some of the nicer-looking European teams. Anyone of them need a soccer wife, I wonder? ;)

kylie

Wait a minute...   The American team _has_ an offense?  Where?!  I missed it so far...  Heh.

I know, Europeans like to pretend soccer is chess...  I just think I enjoy watching the more fluid games.  Or at least teams that use more than the middle third of the field when the ball gets past midfield.  That was an info-packed post though, S.

I used to have more faithful viewing company and we would watch these late-nights of the British clubs.  Some of them did impress me  more than Europe in general. (I like pasta too, but some of the Italian clubs just make me shake my head.)  Arsenal seems to have real skill, much more than I've seen from ahem, Brazil so far... 

On that note...  Is this a particularly odd World Cup?  Or is it just that it's the first round.  Someone history-crazy cue me in.  So far we have, Italy and Czech each having difficulty with lower-ranked teams, Brazil winning but not performing awfully neatly against Australia, and _how many_ cards knocking people out for a game?  At least a couple goals and some near misses bouncing off defenders or sailing neatly between them at close range...  Is all this par for the course at this stage?

Swedish Steel

If you look at the last World Cup I think you'll find it was even stranger. Italy, France, Argentina and plenty of other top notch teams got eliminated by teams they should've been able to beat. I'm happy to say Sweden was the team that put the final nail in Argentina's coffin. :)
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

kylie

I rest my case.  The US has no offense...  At least, not in this game.

Though I have to feel at least a little sorry for the coach.  If one header had managed a little more inside spin and the referee hadn't been so impossible, it might have been different.  Still think he should have used his player roster better, though.  (And did I mention, build an offense.)

So, yeah, go Ghana.  They have better cheers and acrobatics, too :)

RogueJedi

The referee in the Australia match gave a Croatian player 3 yellow cards before sending him off.  That was hilarious, especially as the referee was one of the top referees from the EPL.  But Australia is through!  So I will cheer for them.

Swedish Steel

Cheer for Sweden. Looks like we'll need it. :)

On Off page:

RogueJedi

Ah, but I like Germany.  *smiles prettily*

MagicalPen

ENGLAND ENGLAND. I always thought refs wrote down who they card - i guess he must have forgotten. Glad the USA didnt get through - at least one bad team didnt make it! Some of the matchups should be interesting..>England v Ghana for instance. Sad to see the Czechs go too, but glad to see the US lose.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

kylie

I gotta give Germany some credit.  Controlled the midfield, took the long shots. 

Sweden at least tried a few attacks, but...  I tend to raise eyebrows at teams that get down a point or two and never seem to organize consistent offensive momentum after that.  Not that they're the only ones.  Hardly.  I just think you have to take a few more risks if you hope to catch up. 

Still have this little itching wish that Ghana might beat Brazil.  Silly? 

Swedish Steel

Pretty hard to come back from a 2-0 disadvantage against a team like Germany. Especially if you get one player sent of the field (that was a really cheap red card by the way).

On Off page:

kylie

Yeah, I tend to think the refs have been a little terrible too. 

They finished the US off, if everything else wouldn't have anyway. 

I'm also not sure about this offsides cancelling the Argentina goal just before overtime.  The Guardian said "onsides by a mile," or something to that effect... 

MagicalPen

Its easy to see Off/Onsides on a reply, its a little harder in real time. Ref has to be looking at the players and judge when ball gets played out of corner of eye...if indoubt, he should let play go on. And what about that goal that was offside (ref raised flag) but head ref didnt stop play even though all but the attacking players had stopped too.

Should be good games tomorrow! Unfortuneately, i will be on a plane headed home for the better of the two games...the Spain vs. Netherlands game.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Lirliel

Erm... where playing against Portugal not Spain (Thank god!)

But the entire competition has been fun, really nice games going. Just dinnae catch the last bit of the argentina vs Mexico game, anyone know the score?
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Hannibal

Quote from: Silvestine on June 22, 2006, 11:25:04 PM
ENGLAND ENGLAND. I always thought refs wrote down who they card - i guess he must have forgotten. Glad the USA didnt get through - at least one bad team didnt make it! Some of the matchups should be interesting..>England v Ghana for instance. Sad to see the Czechs go too, but glad to see the US lose.

Apparently he wrote down the No. 3 for Australia (Craig Moore) instead of Croatia for one of the yellow cards. Looks like Poll got off lightly because if he had given Craig Moore a yellow card he would have sent him wrongly as well as leaving a extra Croatian player on the pitch!
Happiness is a choice!

Ons and Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5492.0

MagicalPen

2 - 1 at end of OT in Argentina game. GREAT goal!

England won 1 - 0, though if not for Ashley Cole the score would have been different! Terry didnt look himself today - slow and couldnt head the ball - but luckily, the only thing Beckham did today was score.

I'll be on a plane for the Nether/Port game...should be a great one and unless its a battle to the death, england wont beat the winner.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Swedish Steel

I regret I didn't see the Holland-Portugal game. I hear it was pretty brutal.

On Off page:

kylie

*laughs*  I fell asleep near the end of England-Ecuador, and only woke up for like the last 15 min. of Netherlands-Portugal.  Too dog-gone early in the morning.

Really suspicious of the referees.  I know an offsides is easy to misjudge...  But the Guardian commentator was going off about them being "clowns" (with the implication of yet again. more or less) in that last game.  Apparently four red cards in one game is a record.

kylie

Italy-Australia, coming up on 80 min.  Aren't teams supposed to be able to score at this level?   >:(

I want some surprises (besides the red cards) already...  Again, go Ghana.

kylie

Well, at least it was a real neat penalty kick...  After all the not so neat wrestling out there. 

Apple of Eris

I can't believe that was the first card. There should have been at least two others. (Swiss/Ukraine game)
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Lirliel

Neat.. neat the entire match was bogus, the Italian dude tripped on purpose! Fuck them! Moronic tournament, what a bunch of utter crap!
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Apple of Eris

But... but I love football. It and ice hockey are the only sports I enjoy! :'(
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Lirliel

Might be.. but I'm really dissapointed with the entire tournament.. *le sigh*... Atleast Ice Hockey's true about where it's allegiances are (Hitting other people with big wooden sticks) :P

Apple of Eris

But football has few commercials (and none during play), which on american tv is a rare thing.

Though I have been disappointed with the oficiating overall, and the fact that Trinidad got eliminated

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Lirliel

Yeah... Shame Beenhakker got cut out :( (Trinidad's trainer ;))

Even if it does have but a few commericals on tv.. the entire matches where crap. Last day's match Holland Vs Portugal 16! Yellow cards and four reds.. WTF! Was this guy trying to play fucking solitaire!